Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th December 2009, 13:25   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

effecienty public transport may reduce the amount we drive our cars, but in a emergency - say taking pregnant wife to hospital, taking an older relative to hospital the public transport becomes quite out of the question and so vehicles would always be bought and parking always required, though the usage can be brought down with more and more persons using public transport for regular commuting.

Also better for health
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 13:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
I've seen people putting up signs (often hand-painted) saying don't park here etc. even though it isn't blocking their gate or driveway.
More than the hand-painted ones, the ubiquitous sign boards offered free of cost by commercial firms/stores are the ones that are making their presence these days with the 'NO PARKING' sign occupying 10% of the sign board and the rest doing marketing for the firm that supplied it.

Originally Posted by twinblades View Post
If they make efficient public transport who will buy a car unless absolutely necessary?
So, are you saying that one buys a car only under circumstances absolutely necessary ?

Last edited by rr_zen : 4th December 2009 at 13:30.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 23:06   #18

If the public transport is good, why bother having a car of your own. Rent one when there is a need. This might work more for the young and mobile and if your living in a different country. I definitely need a car in my present situation. But parking is definitely a problem, I park my car in my parents place as the street I live on is very tiny.
twinblades is offline   Reply With Quote