Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 12:19   #196
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 404 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Just now, I checked Fiat UK website. GP in UK has electro-hydraulic power steering.
Well I came to know from GP owners in Fiat Forum (90% UK Folks) that they have EPS in GP. One of the guys opened the bonnet, checked, and told me that he couldn't find the Hydraulic PS's fluid container! Now how come that's possible?
clevermax is offline  
Old 12th January 2010, 22:19   #197
BHPian
 
channelv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 107
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Just a small doubt, would it be not better for the manufacturer to release improved parts as and when they develop than bringing it on new variants?

I always felt EPS boring and the car unconnected.
channelv is offline  
Old 13th January 2010, 15:12   #198
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 404 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post
Just a small doubt, would it be not better for the manufacturer to release improved parts as and when they develop than bringing it on new variants?
I always felt EPS boring and the car unconnected.
As this guy said in AutoCar's battle of small cars (I think that's the name) - "The steering feels like a dead fish" while driving one hatch with EPS.
clevermax is offline  
Old 13th January 2010, 19:29   #199
BHPian
 
worldcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 77
Thanked: 3 Times
Exclamation

I was browsing "Fiat India" web site and noticed that , Fiat mentioned the Punto sports is equipped with a 90HP 1.3MJD VGT.

"Grande Punto Sports
The sporty rendition of the Grande Punto comes with a higher powered diesel engine & several product enhancements. With a 1.3 Multijet engine, 90HP output and Variable Geometry Turbo (VGT), the Grande Punto Sports is a stylish, power-packed new drive that’s designed to make heads turn. In addition to the immense power under the hood, the sports kit includes an electric sun-roof, stylish decals, smart black headlamps, 17” alloy wheels, sporty black leather interiors with red highlights and a cool spoiler."

The Linea currently being sold in India is powered by 1.3MJD VGT , but rated max power is only 86PS.

This means , Punto sports is going to be more powerful , at least on paper , not sure about the torque rating though.

Any thoughts or news on this ?
worldcrawler is offline  
Old 13th January 2010, 22:03   #200
BHPian
 
gomzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 783
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcrawler View Post
I was browsing "Fiat India" web site and noticed that , Fiat mentioned the Punto sports is equipped with a 90HP 1.3MJD VGT.
...
...
The Linea currently being sold in India is powered by 1.3MJD VGT , but rated max power is only 86PS.

...

This means , Punto sports is going to be more powerful , at least on paper , not sure about the torque rating though.

Any thoughts or news on this ?
This has been discussed at length at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/auto-e...po-2010-a.html

Upshot of it is that it is expected to put out similar power to the Linea. Not more. With the Punto being a lighter car, the power/weight ratio might make this feel peppier.
gomzi is offline  
Old 15th January 2010, 15:23   #201
BHPian
 
manjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 0 Times
Post Need knowledge from experts..

I have a Grande Punto Emotion Pack Multijet.
I am not that much satisified with the performance of the engine. I saw the new upcoming Punto in Delhi Auto Expo with VGT. Wanted to know the feasibility of upgrading with VGT in my current car. Dont want to do pete's as of now. Please help whether this is possible?
manjo is offline  
Old 15th January 2010, 23:39   #202
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,638
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default

@manjo: Getting the VGT put in the Punto will be really expensive and difficult to do. In fact, I don't think it is possible, and if it is, the expertise should be there as well, as if it is not carried out properly, it might lead to issues.
Instead, do look at other modifications such as pete's, air filters, FFEs, etc. There is a thread on modifying a diesel car for more performance in the T-BHP Advice section. Do check it out.
lamborghini is offline  
Old 15th January 2010, 23:52   #203
Senior - BHPian
 
recshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mangalore / Bangalore
Posts: 1,056
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

Guys any further news on improved Linea, at least with improved interiors? one of my relatives checked Linea last week and commented that interiors are not good. so he went to check out Fiesta :(

not sure if FIAT has already made improvements and he checked TD car which is still the old one!
recshenoy is offline  
Old 18th January 2010, 14:21   #204
BHPian
 
manjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 0 Times
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@manjo: Getting the VGT put in the Punto will be really expensive and difficult to do. In fact, I don't think it is possible, and if it is, the expertise should be there as well, as if it is not carried out properly, it might lead to issues.
Instead, do look at other modifications such as pete's, air filters, FFEs, etc. There is a thread on modifying a diesel car for more performance in the T-BHP Advice section. Do check it out.
Then i guess i should go for a Pete's after my first service s done..
I was planning to get it done at FIAT's only if its possible. But they have not responded yet on it.
Thanks for the info..
manjo is offline  
Old 18th January 2010, 18:22   #205
Senior - BHPian
 
theragingbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,602
Thanked: 611 Times
Default

I think the 2010 Linea with better quality interiors and upgrades has been launched. I saw a Fiat ad today in BT in which they were clearing 2009 models with some freebies and it clearly said 2010 Linea is not a part of this offer.
And as far as the Punto is concerned, we already have sidindica who has bought the 2010 make which has all the improvements in plastics and 15% reduced NVH levels.
theragingbull is offline  
Old 18th January 2010, 18:45   #206
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 26
Thanked: 0 Times
Exclamation Confirmation Anyone ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
And as far as the Punto is concerned, we already have sidindica who has bought the 2010 make which has all the improvements in plastics and 15% reduced NVH levels.
@sidindica your thoughts please about the GP EP, I have kind of jammed the process after I read your thread, if the changes haven been incorporated, I might as well go ahead .... thanks in advance !!

EDITED - @sidindica's thoughts > http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...punto-mjd.html (My White Fiat Punto MJD)

Last edited by ajkail : 18th January 2010 at 18:57.
ajkail is offline  
Old 18th January 2010, 20:09   #207
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -
Posts: 4,705
Thanked: 3,845 Times
Default

There will only be a couple of improvements in 2010 punto/ linea regular models
  • reduced NVH by 15 percent
  • some plastics of better texture.
  • proper fittings of interior parts, hope they not fall off.
rest all cars are same. The price has increased because of rise in input costs and of course, to increase margins.

still, these improvements are welcome.

I haven't driven my punto that much, cause I am waiting for my number and number plate, which I will only get by 24th. But a short highway run the car is noticeably quieter, not much change in performance though. I needed better bottom end and mid range punch, which I am happy with.

And these are now available in showrooms and Fiat will not publicly announce this. So if you want to buy 2010 Fiats, you can get them.

Last edited by sidindica : 18th January 2010 at 20:11.
sidindica is offline  
Old 18th January 2010, 21:09   #208
BHPian
 
brar.arsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PATIALA/CHD/PUNE/Noida
Posts: 107
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Ya my Linea also arrived today but i am Noida till the weekend, so will be getting the delivery on Friday.
I will post everything that will be noticeably changed, though there are not any visible changes as mentioned by sid.
I will post the pics of the car and this time you will see a different Linea, and am damn sure about it..
brar.arsh is offline  
Old 19th January 2010, 10:47   #209
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,494
Thanked: 4,111 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brar.arsh View Post
Ya my Linea also arrived today but i am Noida till the weekend, so will be getting the delivery on Friday.
I will post everything that will be noticeably changed, though there are not any visible changes as mentioned by sid.
I will post the pics of the car and this time you will see a different Linea, and am damn sure about it..
Now seriously looking forward to see the different Linea. Wondering whats in store. Bring it on
nkrishnap is offline  
Old 19th January 2010, 11:30   #210
BHPian
 
AnonymousCoward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Net City
Posts: 117
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Did they drop the rest of the improvements? Only new owners can tell.

First Post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Fix(ing) It Again Tony

(Disclaimer: Info typed is accurate till now, but may be subject to change and will be updated regularly. Please DO NOT ask any further questions.)

Fiat to considerably improve its versions of Punto and Linea by the time the euro 4 kicks in.

Highlights of changes:
  • New team to monitor quality control at Fiat at even stricter levels.
  • Additional sound insulation under the firewall and sand witch type roof lining in both punto and linea diesels for further noise reduction.
  • Alteration of 3rd and 4th gear ratios in punto MJD for better pickup.
  • Newly designed, more durable seat adjust leaver and bonnet opening mechanism with improved plastic quality
  • Tighter tolerances in interior panel gaps, especially at ignition area (punto) and door armrest (linea)
  • New front seat frame in the linea, more durable which will not fall down.
  • Improved AC blower, told to be less noisy.
  • Modified "my car 2" settings in emotion models (punto and linea) and dynamic (linea) models, more user friendly and easy to configure.
  • Of course, improved interior plastics.
  • Elimination of "chrome bits falling off" from Linea emotion models.
  • Additional layers of clear coat paint for better paint gloss and long lasting finish.
  • More durable engine mounts for even lesser vibrations.
  • 1.4 petrol to be more fuel efficient by minor ECU tweak and a taller 5th gear ratio, peak power to be at 5500 rpm* from current 6000 rpm*.
  • Mechanically otherwise specs unchanged.
  • Linea T-Jet to be displayed at expo 2010, but no info available on its launch to me as yet.
*will be confirmed prior to launch.

Fiat will not really officially announce the launch, but will silently incorporate the aforementioned changes based on customer feedback.
Also, new dealerships, wider A.S.S. network and frequency of parts availability to be increased.
The "reality" post?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
There will only be a couple of improvements in 2010 punto/ linea regular models
  • reduced NVH by 15 percent
  • some plastics of better texture.
  • proper fittings of interior parts, hope they not fall off.
rest all cars are same. The price has increased because of rise in input costs and of course, to increase margins.

still, these improvements are welcome.

I haven't driven my punto that much, cause I am waiting for my number and number plate, which I will only get by 24th. But a short highway run the car is noticeably quieter, not much change in performance though. I needed better bottom end and mid range punch, which I am happy with.

And these are now available in showrooms and Fiat will not publicly announce this. So if you want to buy 2010 Fiats, you can get them.
AnonymousCoward is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall justin.das Technical Stuff 128 5th December 2017 19:56
Fiat Linea T-Jet : LED Mods / Upgrades ZBlue Modifications & Accessories 24 8th January 2017 02:36
Fiat Linea front arm rest for Fiat Punto NSK123 Modifications & Accessories 47 15th April 2013 23:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:04.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks