Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st October 2011, 17:35   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio

My S10 has the Antenna on the roof. IIRC, only the S10 had a factory fitted Music system, hence the blanked out antenna slots in the other variants. NOt sure, just thinking out aloud.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 18:24   #152
Senior - BHPian

A stock GTX did not come with OE ICE - only the wiring was provided. The roof antenna was not there for that reason - the Owner's manual has guidelines on how fit an after market antenna and HU (Refer Page 61 & 62).

Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-11.jpg

Last edited by planet_rocker : 21st October 2011 at 18:34.
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 12:08   #153

Default For Palio 1.6 fans only

THREE palio 1.6 in a parking lot
Attached Thumbnails
Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-20120704035.jpg  

nimhan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 18:57   #154
BHPian

Sid, What a write up!! Maja aagaya!
How come I missed this thread for so long.....here is my tribute to the fastest safest tank 1.6sports

Here are some of my latest pics

Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-img_2296_1.jpg

Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-img_0361.jpg

Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-img_3826.jpg

Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-img_3839.jpg
mchanna is online now   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 15:40   #155
Senior - BHPian

I miss this car. At one point of time, i desperately wanted this car to be mine. I just loved this car. That time i was short of cash, so couldn't buy one for me. Now i have the money but car is not available in the market :( New Punto is a nice car but i still like Palio more. It just looks Sexy, till now. I wish they should launch it again with latest engines and technology. I would love to buy one for myself.
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 17:20   #156
BHPian

Seeing this thread I feel like saying I want one.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 18:51   #157
BHPian

Planning to sell mine for scrap tomorrow :(

Fiat India strategy really messed up the car's market. Lover the car but the reliability was a major set back!!

Used to feel very very in the car inspite of no Airbags.
2000rpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 19:09   #158
Senior - BHPian

Would it be possible for an engine swap between the earlier 1.6 and the new 1.1 stile? We have a 2007 stile in the family and its ok for the present duties it is performing. But in another 3 years or so I plan to take it up for my driving pleasure. But need the more sportier and peppy engine than the 1.1. Or else can this 1.1 be tuned for more power?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 19:26   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Planning to sell mine for scrap tomorrow :(

Fiat India strategy really messed up the car's market. Lover the car but the reliability was a major set back!!

Used to feel very very in the car inspite of no Airbags.
My close friend was one of the guys who bought a diesel Palio 1.9D way back in 2003(I think). It was very expensive at that time (think it was more than 6L OTR). He loved the car for its tank like build. In the end he sold it off for very less as he was fed up with Fiat's service. Car was lying in the service station awaiting spares for close to 2-3 months (couple of times for different reasons). He still has that hangover and refuses to touch a Fiat even though I tell him that it's not the same anymore. The past is hurting fiat more than anything else.
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 21:05   #160
BHPian

A colleague in office sold his close to 2L run Palio for a pittance and got the new Swift diesel, when asked for a comparision, all he could manage was praise for the palio!
In his simple words, "ye to bahut hi halki si gaadi hai uske saamne"

But sadly even he was fed up with Fiat service and didn't go for the Punto as a replacement.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 21:40   #161
BHPian

I guess I can also come to the party now with my Fiat 'Palio' Adventure Sport 1.6. Having driven this car now for the past few months, 6 days a week.. Boy what a car! Even in today's era, no car feels so tanky and reassuring once you close the doors. The 1.6 simply pulls my adventure like a locomotive, and it's always a joy to go through the rev range!
I feel lucky to own such a car and drive it everyday.. Sad not many people got to experience such a gem of a car.
Samar117 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 11:53   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
My close friend was one of the guys who bought a diesel Palio 1.9D way back in 2003(I think). It was very expensive at that time (think it was more than 6L OTR). He loved the car for its tank like build. In the end he sold it off for very less as he was fed up with Fiat's service. Car was lying in the service station awaiting spares for close to 2-3 months (couple of times for different reasons). He still has that hangover and refuses to touch a Fiat even though I tell him that it's not the same anymore. The past is hurting fiat more than anything else.
Yep, even I have taken an oath to never buy a car with poor after sales support after my encounters with my Fiat. Will stick to Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra for network and Honda or Toyota for Reliability. Duster is really making its case though, with the Renault engine proving itself well.

And I personally don't think that Palio is an under rated car, it can be called as an under sold car. Palio has its share of glory and cult followers, inspite of Fiat's strategy to completely ignore the existence of this vehicle. Ritz is an example of an Under rated car in my opinion. In fact I would go to the extent of saying that Palio 1.2 is a over rated car and benefits from the reputation of its 1.6 litre sibling. Palio 1.2 is a heavy, lethargic car which returns lower mileage than its more powerful sedan siblings. I agree to the tank like feeling, but stopping power on a Palio was not adequate to cope with the weight that the car possessed.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 25th October 2013 at 12:05.
2000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 14:51   #163
BHPian

Back in 2007 when we brought a house on the outskirts of Bangalore, car became a necessity. With sponsered the down payment and allowed me to pick what ever car i wanted. had driven my sisters Alto, so was not even going to look any where near maruti suzuki. My friend had a getz 1.1 and even though i was impressed with the finess, fit & finish and interiors, didn't want to get a hyundai either.

Then saw the palio in stile avatar. Till that time i had never paid attention to palio's looks even though i had seen quite a few of them on bangalore roads. decided to explore a little more and took a test drive of Palio Stile 1.1 SLX at manipal KR Road. It was the only car i test drove. I did go to chevrolet showroom for UVA test drive, but being a sunday there was no one except for security in the showroom.

So was impressed with the way palio hugged the road and explored with manipal and prerana motors and finally brought carbon black 1.1 SLX stile during dusera. Even though the car was under powered, but i am no racer and was fine with the city/occasional highway rides.

The increasing petrol prices started to pinch my pocket and decided to look for a used 1.3 Stile. Luckily found one 38K on the odo for 3.65 Lac in 2010. It was magnesium grey in color. Just missed my black palio. Since then its been a wonderful experience. right now the odo reads 88k and still going strong.

Any horror stories about service? not even a single complaint when i had 1.1 SLX and till tata tie up was there almost 95% satisfied with the service i got. just that one or two incidents thrown in as blemish in an otherwise wonderful ownership experience. These day i service my car with hariprasad's and so far so good. for parts i no longer depend on the dealers instead head to JC road and try and find what i want.

Had a accident where i fell in to some 4 ft ditch on the road side while tying to avoid an oncoming bus, car took the hit, but didn't let the occupants (me, dad n granny) have a single scratch!

i don't know how long this love affair will last, but i am enjoying it every moment and will probably go for punto if i am upgrading in the near future

Thanks sid, this was nice writeup about the Palio story! even though u started this thread 3 years back, i chanced up on it only now.

Here's pic of me and my ex Black beauty on the beaches of Murdeshwara.Name:  Vasanth_Black_palio.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  32.2 KB
ant_vas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 20:23   #164
Senior - BHPian

Its time this thread is bumped, came across something interesting.

The Palio weekend:

Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-img-42.jpg

Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-img-43.jpg

Perhaps, the only weekend in palio guise that exists in India today, and this is NOT the siena weekend with changed body panels from the factory but the car as built from the factory. No idea whom it belongs to. And this runs even today.

Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-1504023_10202557299067244_406255115_n.jpg

Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-10149853_768698779831076_117457400_n.jpg

Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-10152738_871154359577854_1539685746_n.jpg

Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-10156818_871154636244493_697669345_n.jpg

Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-10177976_870388662987757_1713376922_n.jpg

And, perhaps, one of the best maintained original factory shade 1.6 GTX, in mystic yellow shade, pics courtesy BHPian Pavan Kadam.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote