Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th December 2009, 13:35   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
7000 rpm? Care to enlighten us, please?
Redline in GTX starts at 6500 rpm and it engine cutsoff near 7000 rpm.

In 2nd gear it is easy to read line, however, now I prefer to shift up at 6500 rpm, doing so, I touch 3rd gear at ~4500 rpm and I do hear screeching noise for good ~1 second from tyre due to peak torque.

I never tried red lining in 3rd gear but at times I do push between 100-130 in 3rd gear for quick overtaking on highways.
neosmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 14:04   #62
BHPian

I have owned and experienced the Palio D. I bought it even without a test ride. The Thunder Black Palio D saw me get married, have a kid and move through the paces of life. Together we did close to 70K kms in the 3.5 years. no major hiccups, only pleasure and more pleasure.

Had to sell it for lack of boot space, with the new member in the family. Today I consider selling the Palio as one of the worst decision I had taken in my life. I should have kept it and looked for another cheap sedan for the 'boot' needs. Alas, some decisions just happen, and you have to live with it.

Attaching a few pics of my black beauty. Ohh I dearly miss her...
Attached Images

basilmabraham is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 15:01   #63
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Fantastic write up. I wonder how much time you take to type it all down and then edit, and finally compose the entire post.

1) Fiat, yes that italian company is responsible for this mess. Remember Uno ? Its even a bigger tragedy than Palio IMHO. Zen had its own advantages like better motor and agility, but Uno had better space, specially the boot space. Rear seat space was also nice. The OVRM were internally adjustable and this was a novel feature at that time.

Why I am putting all this ?

My uncle booked Uno. He wanted to replace 800 and/or keep both Uno and 800. He was impressed with Uno, specially space ( as compared to Zen ). He paid up some good amount. Zen was great and people wanted a change. The booking for Uno were very very high.

Unfortunately my uncle did not get the car. He was very very disappointed. The booking amount was given back to him after a very long time. All the old story.

What after that ? He is afraid to buy any other Fiat now.

Uno hit Fiat the worst. Uno created excitement, Zen killed it ( Zen was also good in its own way ). Or rather Uno never properly entered the battle field.

Now that excitement of some change from Zen was infused by Fiat Uno. Who got maximum benefit of it ? Hyundai. Yes, after Uno which created a lot of excitement, people did not have any second option. Hyundai then came with Santro and used all that excitement to full benefit.

2) I have driven some relative's S10 palio. I can tell you that upto 4500 rpm, this motor has good torque and coupled with relatively lower gearing, is pretty quick. The car did not sell because of :
a) Poor image of Fiat carried forward from Uno days.
b) Poor A.S & S.
c) Poor FE.

Now, even today, small car must have good FE. Think of the days when 1.6 Palio came up. Surely the mentality was not broad enough.

3) Rather than tribute to Palio, I would like to see tribute to Uno. Its one car that I really liked and compared it with Esteem at that time. The rear C-pillar is something I really liked.

Very True....

The Uno certainly deserved a lot more space under the sun than it got.
An astounding 2,90,000 initial bookings and FIAT was a moron to see through this.

Any company would have capitalised on this and gained a mammoth footing in a new battle terrain(read market place).

The excitement of Uno if carried on, would have killed the Zen and the 800 at one go.

Hyundai Santro may have been discontinued....

In short, the entire small car scenario may have been completely different.
For all you know, FIAT could have featured in the top three list...

ALAS!!!!
What a waste of a GOLDEN opportunity.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 06:44   #64
BHPian

Post Love @ first Drive

Till the time we have the mileage craze.. cant expect such beauties to last long.
Attached Thumbnails
Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-01032009158tile.jpg  

Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio-15042009189001tile.jpg  

skilanjar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 09:43   #65
Senior - BHPian

The Punto with the Abarth kit is a looker.

One day I hope to get an Abarth for my GTX.

Skilanjar, you need a tyre and wheel upgrade, soon.

Last edited by beejay : 16th December 2009 at 09:44. Reason: Skilanjar>>.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 09:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up Sid. Loved it. I am a happy owner of a 2002 Palio 1.2 ELX. Its a great car to own and drive - especially on highways
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 10:13   #67
Senior - BHPian

Had a great time reading it Sid. Palio will always remain my first love
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 11:49   #68
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure if the palio would have undergone change of interiors & few exteriors would have made decent figures at least with the MJD spec.

ABARTH mods have a killer looks on the GP.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 15:16   #69
BHPian

The Palio...what did it tell us?

It told us that to get rock solid high speed stability and handling, we don't have to mortgage your house. It told us that we can get reasonably good space in a hatch. It was a hatch that could put some of the sedans in that time to shame. It told us that hatches does not mean "tin boxes", that safety is a thing that can't be overlooked in a hatch even. It paved the way for large premium hatches in India and in the process embraced slow death to herself. A car that was ahead of its time.

-Pratim
pratim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 00:58   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosmart View Post
Redline in GTX starts at 6500 rpm and it engine cutsoff near 7000 rpm.

In 2nd gear it is easy to read line, however, now I prefer to shift up at 6500 rpm, doing so, I touch 3rd gear at ~4500 rpm and I do hear screeching noise for good ~1 second from tyre due to peak torque.

I never tried red lining in 3rd gear but at times I do push between 100-130 in 3rd gear for quick overtaking on highways.
engine cut-off on my stile is 7300rpm, i guess its same for all 1.6 models .....
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 08:57   #71
BHPian

A reason to be part of TBHP.. are articles like these. So much nostalgia, so much love, so much passion.. thats awesome.

Sid, Great writeup. Thumbs up!!

- Rajesh
rajeshsundaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 13:24   #72
Senior - BHPian

great write up sid, i was putting this thread down for a later read and forgot about it.

do you have any idea if the 1999 palio was sold in India since I spotted one in Chennai.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 14:20   #73
BHPian

Whew...that was a nice read.
Even though i have never owned one i had the luxury of using it. Thanks to both my Brother in Laws. Unfortunately the elder one has sold his. But the other one is still sitting pretty in my inLaws place. She is one heck of a ride. One of the best hatchbacks India will ever see. Raw power, Solid build, Spacious and a drivers delight.
_raviShankar_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 17:12   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
great write up sid, i was putting this thread down for a later read and forgot about it.

do you have any idea if the 1999 palio was sold in India since I spotted one in Chennai.
that model was never sold in India, i have already told you once :P
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 13:49   #75
Senior - BHPian

The story of palio, revisited, many feet above the sea level.
Attached Images

Last edited by sidindica : 7th February 2010 at 13:50.
sidindica is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote