Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th December 2009, 10:50   #16
BHPian

years back when i accompanied a friend to pick up her wagon r, i noticed something similar and the guy at the dealers (very popular maruti dealer in pune) told me that some vehicles from the showroom display or test drive pieces are sometimes "cycled" into sales slots after some basic cleanup.

I shudder to be the poor soul who gets stuck with a piece that has been driven around by noobies on TD's.

I think what this gentleman found is pretty much std practice: these bharti fellows were unlucky to have been caught.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 11:32   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Shetty bought a Chevrolet Captiva from Bharati Automobiles in Jogeshwari in May 2008 for Rs 20 lakh, impressed by the sales pitch that the vehicles were “good, of great marksmanship’’ and after he was assured of “a quality car and after-sales service’’. Shetty claimed that, in February 2009, he found papers of alleged repairs as well as bills for spare-part replacements, done in March-April 2008.
Thats what I call a "killer" sales-pitch
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 12:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

There was a very similar case at a Hyundai dealership in Trivandrum, where the owner of the so called brand new Santro found repair evidence in the boot. (Bills & traces of parts replaced) They actually sold an accident vehicle as brand new.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 14:15   #19
BANNED

case of cheating from dealers side, he should be replaced with a brand new vehicle from GM India.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 14:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
case of cheating from dealers side, he should be replaced with a brand new vehicle from GM India.
He can also ask for damages I think. There's deceit involved as well. Interestingly, how come he never realized this for so long?
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 14:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
A city businessman who bought a brand new SUV made a startling discovery in the glove compartment: bills allegedly mentioning the repairs the vehicle had earlier undergone.

Shetty bought a Chevrolet Captiva from Bharati Automobiles in Jogeshwari in May 2008 for Rs 20 lakh,
. Shetty claimed that, in February 2009, he found papers of alleged repairs as well as bills for spare-part replacements, done in March-April 2008.
Guy buys a premium car in May 2008 and does not open the glove compartment until Feb 2009

The car couldn't have been sold obviously and if it had been for internal servicing, i do not think they raise bills for internal repairs. something really fishy has happened, good that he has filed a suit rather than running aroung dealer - manufacturer - dealer circles.

seriously, these guys are thinking out-of-box now on unfair trade practices.
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 14:57   #22
Team-BHP Support

I have a suspicion it is not the owner himself who would have found this. From the looks of it he is one of those "Have Moolah Will Buy" types. He bought a vehicle without any checks and started using it. Probably never even saw if there was anything in the glovebox and dumped his things inside. What would have happened is that someone else, his son/daughter/relative/driver etc would have been doing some clean-up or otherwise have been rummaging through that glovebox when that bill would have been discovered inside. I am sure that would have given the poor sod a heart attack for a moment.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 16:33   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
Guy buys a premium car in May 2008 and does not open the glove compartment until Feb 2009

The car couldn't have been sold obviously and if it had been for internal servicing, i do not think they raise bills for internal repairs. something really fishy has happened, good that he has filed a suit rather than running aroung dealer - manufacturer - dealer circles.

seriously, these guys are thinking out-of-box now on unfair trade practices.
I think you will have to raise bills for internal repairs as well. All parts are accounted for these days. The easiest way is to invoice it. Perhaps somebody can clarify this.
Trapezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 16:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
There was a very similar case at a Hyundai dealership in Trivandrum, where the owner of the so called brand new Santro found repair evidence in the boot. (Bills & traces of parts replaced) They actually sold an accident vehicle as brand new.
The incident clevermax is referring to is detailed in this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rivandrum.html (Shocking News about Popular Hyundai, Trivandrum)

The car was bought for my then Managers dad as a bday gift. I am not sure how it all got settled though.

My experiece with the same dealer, when taking my Elantra for accident repair, was nothing great too. Sad state of affairs.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 16:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

perhaps a solution to such woes would be the wholesale adoption of RFID tagging or a lockable satnav GPS tracking recorder by all manufacturers? like the aircraft "black box"
hopefully if one does a traceback on the history of the vehicle one will be able to literally find out where its been via such electronic leash systems!
otherwise us being us, our dealers will continue to fob off vehicles of this kind on the un-suspecting buyers.
Never was the saying Caveat Emptor more relevant!
as a measure of punishment to be meted out to such dealers I would support " public flogging" + "fine - payable upto the cost of the same new car on road price" + "5 years hard labour" - only then will such dealers learn a lesson.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th December 2009 at 16:42.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 16:44   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I have a suspicion it is not the owner himself who would have found this. From the looks of it he is one of those "Have Moolah Will Buy" types. He bought a vehicle without any checks and started using it. Probably never even saw if there was anything in the glovebox and dumped his things inside. What would have happened is that someone else, his son/daughter/relative/driver etc would have been doing some clean-up or otherwise have been rummaging through that glovebox when that bill would have been discovered inside. I am sure that would have given the poor sod a heart attack for a moment.
Between the timeframe of buying car and finding he was cheated (10 months), how many times it woud have gone for the scheduled service, even there no one has seen the receipts and removed it.

I guess they should add additional points in their service checklists
. Is this car - a new car, old car, old car sold as new car
. Any / all ex service bills removed from the car during delivery or service time.

My friend in a car dealership said that during the times of loading / unloading of vehicles, if any scratch or dent happens the repair work is done internally in the dealer location. In such situations there are chances that the manufacturer may not even know such things have happened.

Last edited by ikoneer : 15th December 2009 at 16:50.
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 16:45   #27
BHPian

I know quite a few cases (from the mechanics) where this happened.

Almost all the new vehicles are heavily driven around rashly by service personnels. They end up in accidents time to time. Also another rampant practice is to sell heavily driven vehicles to unsuspecting customers. I know a case when a particular dealer in Kerala sold a vehicle which had run 1.2 lakh kms! A proper service and a top end interior polishing (from 3M I think) solved the issue!

In India the fashion is that if something breaks its all manufacturer's fault. We seldom think that our immediate service provider is the sales point and not the a corporation lying in Noida/Pune. And a lot of dealers misuse this luxury.

I sympathise this guy. But his is not the worst case.

I agree that checking vin number etc can help! But that is a precaution and not a solution.
Trapezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 16:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Wow, first the Forester and now the Captiva. GM is really having a tough time managing their customers.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 17:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Not good for a Company who has 2 new hot products up their sleeve in under a few months and THIS!!!
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 22:40   #30
BHPian

i dont think its anything to do with manufacturers . these are all dealer faults , their persons drive the vehicles rash like they are doing some kind of testing at VRDE or something like that , they end up in distroying the cars and then dealer do the patch work as he has to cover their own acts . and then stories like these crop up
quattroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote