Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th February 2010, 07:59   #136
Senior - BHPian

In Kerala, now Police stops cars and checks for seat belt usage even in rural areas, last week I was stopped near my hometown. I was surprised to find that my Father is wearing seat belts now all the time.

Almost everyone who is driving a car wears seat belts here nowadays.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 01:38   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

For my navigator [whoever it is], when I am driving on a highway, the mandate is that he [have not driven with a "she" so far] has to wear a seat belt.

Once one of my friend refused to do it and I just parked the car on the side and asked him to move out to the back seat if he cant wear the seat belt! he immediately put the seat belt.

I dont insist my navigator [the rear seat belts and hidden under the seat covers] to wear the belt in the city at the peak times. But when I drive fast, I ask them to wear it irrespective of whether its city / highway.

I always wear it and one of my friend after wearing it on compulsion said he felt much more comfortable wearing it and still wears it whenever he is with me!

So to improve this thought, you just have to LEAD BY EXAMPLE ! By the way the first time I wore the seat belt is because my BIL was also wearing it [He works in Gulf]

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st March 2010 at 01:39.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 01:46   #138
Senior - BHPian

My car - all 5 passengers have to be belted. All the times, with food or without in their tummy
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 05:34   #139
Senior - BHPian

This is a really good thread, had somehow missed it. Here's one wacky solution that comes to mind, it is inspired from the buzzer system and requires D.I.Y. skills:

Basic Setup (assuming a 5 seater car):

1. 5 Pressure sensors - implementation of the pressure sensor can be anything ranging from a couple of strips of metal that come on contact when a weight is put on them to proper industrial grade pressure sensors.

This is to be used to detect the number of people seated.

2. Based on the input from the pressure sensors, do one(or more) of the following
  • Power Windows - Roll down the windows in the car if someone is not wearing belts, rendering the A/C system ineffective.
  • Music: Most people prefer having some sort of music on while travelling, disable the audio if anyone of the people are not wearing their seatbelts.
Now, one can totally get rid of the sensor system, and have the seatbelts buckled by default, when one sits in the car, it'll be just too uncomfortable to sit on the buckle, people would have to take it around them and belt in.

Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 06:37   #140
BHPian

It's not just the seatbelts.

Me and mom, both drive the Activa, though you know who the better driver is, and whenever we're going somewhere, she's like 'If you wanna drive, get the helmet'...what, doesn't she need a helmet when she drives ?

My mom and dad don't know how to stop at traffic lights, and when I'm driving, the coax me to do the same. I try to resist, but being just 16, I can't just muster the authority.

And obviously, seat belts are for evading fine if the 'mamus' [Read cops] are around.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 11:29   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

swiftnfurious, please stop assuming it is ok not to wear belts in the back seats. There is double danger: not only to the back seat passengers, but to the front seat passengers they can kill as they are thrown forward. I posted a UK Public Information Video about this somewhere.

Yet again... Nobody should ever assume that city speeds are too slow for belts. They are absolutely not. This is a whole crazy idea I keep hearing here!

Anku... You are 16... and driving... Errr, is that legal? Anyway: stand up to your parents, or anyone of any age, who tells you to do wrong. If you are short of authority, try stubbornness! It's a handy quality sometimes.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 11:57   #142
BHPian

Sometimes I find it very hard to convince some one. It has gone to the extent of spoiling the relationship between me and the person.

He has told to some one else when we planned for a travel, "I'm not travelling with him. He tries to dump rules on to everyone".

I eventually had to let him travel without buckling up.

He is none other than my DAD.

@swiftnfurious, Even my back seat belt buckles got pushed behind the seats by the service center guys.

I demanded an instant fix.

@Thad, Forget about seat belts. I'm hearing, I don't need ABS, Airbags, ORVMs in a car and sometimes I don't need helmets if my ride on two wheels is less than 5 km. I only pray to the one above to save them.
para_7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 14:21   #143
BHPian

Seat belts MUST be worn at all time while driving. In US, I heard if you are behind the wheel and the engine is running, you are required to wear the seat belt although the car is stationary! Talk about law enforcement!!
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 14:32   #144
Senior - BHPian

People with blocked mindset will never wear a seatbelt and will never listen to any of the safety features of ABS,airbags etc. Only thing they know is during an accident the bumper will take all the beatings and nothing will happen to them. So for these you cannot do anything. They will have to learn through hard rule only or when they expereince any unfortunate things
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 14:49   #145
BHPian

@ Thad

You can get a gearless license at 16...but..err...I might've done a bit of underage driving.
Old 1st March 2010, 15:56   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, anku94, I guess you should keep quiet about it, as the forum generally supports staying legal --- but it is the young that make our future, and I am really delighted to hear that you, for one, have some respect for safety on the roads. Keep it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
... Only thing they know is during an accident the bumper will take all the beatings and nothing will happen to them.
I was lousy at all the mathematical sciences at school, but I picked up enough physics to know that if the vehicle I am in comes to sudden stop at 40Km/hr, and I am not belted in, then I don't stop until I hit something --- in or out of the car. Education and imagination are the thngs that are needed!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 20:40   #147
BHPian

Thanks Thad. I'm careful about that. A month or two ago, a school-mate of mine died due to rash driving. He applied front disk brakes while going at 80 on a bike. Obviously, no helmet. That brought my cruise speed from 50 to 40. :|
Old 12th March 2010, 20:42   #148
BHPian

Just saw this advertisement on YOUTUBE and to me this is among the best ever advertisements I have seen ,which conveys the message in multiple ways.For me it conveys that " Always Use Seat-belts while driving"," Drive with responsibility as your loved ones are waiting for you at home" any many more what we can think of.
aeroamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 21:37   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroamit View Post
Just saw this advertisement on YOUTUBE and to me this is among the best ever advertisements I have seen ,which conveys the message in multiple ways.For me it conveys that " Always Use Seat-belts while driving"," Drive with responsibility as your loved ones are waiting for you at home" any many more what we can think of.
Aesthetic and elegant way of presentation. Conveys the message without going into graphic stuff. The vase in front flying off - very similar to a crash.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 22:24   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroamit View Post

Lovely! says it all in the living room with the near and dear ones around!
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote