Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th March 2010, 10:55   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroamit View Post

Just saw this advertisement on YOUTUBE and to me this is among the best ever advertisements I have seen ,which conveys the message in multiple ways.For me it conveys that " Always Use Seat-belts while driving"," Drive with responsibility as your loved ones are waiting for you at home" any many more what we can think of.
Nice and simple, but convey the message well. Thanks for sharing it.
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 12:29   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
swiftnfurious, please stop assuming it is ok not to wear belts in the back seats. There is double danger: not only to the back seat passengers, but to the front seat passengers they can kill as they are thrown forward. I posted a UK Public Information Video about this somewhere.

Yet again... Nobody should ever assume that city speeds are too slow for belts. They are absolutely not. This is a whole crazy idea I keep hearing here!
I dont assume its safe not to wear seat belts @ the rear. the rear seat belts is hidden under the seat covers and we dont have an option now.

Also those city speeds where the traffic is moving bumper to bumper is whenI dont insist my co-passenger to wear seat belts. I know even 20 kmph is a good enough speed to wear a seat belt.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 12:54   #153
Team-BHP Support

@swiftnfurious: Remember that old poem, for want of a nail a battle was lost.

Get your seats fixed so that the seat belt option is available to the rear passengers.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 12:57   #154
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Totally agree. I've tried to get my parents to wear them too. But they only wear it if I insist on it and I'm in the car. When they go on drives alone, I'm pretty sure they don't. I too would love to get a solution for this.
Being on the research side of the automotive field I could bring up all the arguments in the world why it is so important to wear a seat belt, but I think our parents know this already.

Despite this they still don't wear the seat belt even you raising your concerns.

The only solution I can think of is this one:

Next time you go out with them ads they won't buckle the belt before you say anything just ask the one question:

Do you love me?

If the answer is a 'NO' you are on a loser, but if it is positive then you can reply that you love them too and this is why you are concerned about their safety, which is the reason why you want them to wear the seat belt.

I hope you can solve it.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 13:02   #155
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I dont assume its safe not to wear seat belts @ the rear. the rear seat belts is hidden under the seat covers and we dont have an option now.

Also those city speeds where the traffic is moving bumper to bumper is whenI dont insist my co-passenger to wear seat belts. I know even 20 kmph is a good enough speed to wear a seat belt.
Accident from 8kph have killed drivers/passengers.

Just think about when your head hit something more solid then yourself the last time. This is usualy moving slower than half a meter a second = much less than 2kph.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 20:24   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Now you may have observed if you walk into a wall
you get a certain sensation of reality
... it's from a song.

It could have said, that when you walk into a wall, you should get an idea of what it might have been like at more than walking speed!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 20:27   #157
BHPian

I do this at this time to ensure my wife wears the belt ! I apply sudden brakes intermittently while ensuring an incovenience. Then I explain to my wife that since I wore my belts I always sit still and that I dont keep moving forward at the hard stops. Does the job most of the times !
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 20:46   #158
BHPian

One of the things that frustrates me is that a lot of times only front seat occupants wear seatbelts and people assume that it is not important for the others.

A couple of months ago I was traveling from Chandigarh to Jalandhar in a Innova that i had hired at the airport. It was getting quite dark and the driver did not notice a trailer truck ahead of us. We must have been traveling at 90km/h when we rammed into the truck. The Radiator took most of the impact and the whole front end was totalled. Other than that nothing happened to us because we were wearing seatbelts including the rear seat passengers.

Be safe and buckle up.
tatsago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 21:51   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Here you go... I've posted this before. It makes it horribly clear what the back-seat passengers can do to the front-seat passengers. Like, kill them.

Old 22nd March 2010, 10:08   #160
BHPian

That was one eye opening video. The backseat belts are something most of us are ignorant about, including me !

Car designers could also design a seat belt system that will automatically strap us as soon as we are seated, leaving no option to skip the belts !
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:26   #161
Senior - BHPian

Maan,that was SOME eye opening video.
I always wear a seatbelt in the front,but never when i am at the back.Knew it was dangerous(princess Diana),but didn't care about it.can't believe a rear passenger could be such a danger.C'mon how can it happen?He hit her from the back and she didn't touch the dashboard either.
@s3va-there used to be such a system in japanese luxury cars and mercs sold in the 80's in U.S. There was a rule mandating either automatic seatbelts or airbags and the automakers choose the auto seatbelts as they were cheaper to maintain,but when airbags became mandatory,they stopped offering auto seabelts.
EDIT:Sorry, every car sold in the U.S in the 80's had one.

Last edited by DicKy : 22nd March 2010 at 10:28.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:51   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
That was one eye opening video. The backseat belts are something most of us are ignorant about, including me !

Car designers could also design a seat belt system that will automatically strap us as soon as we are seated, leaving no option to skip the belts !
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Maan,that was SOME eye opening video.
I always wear a seatbelt in the front,but never when i am at the back.Knew it was dangerous(princess Diana),but didn't care about it.can't believe a rear passenger could be such a danger.C'mon how can it happen?He hit her from the back and she didn't touch the dashboard either.
@s3va-there used to be such a system in japanese luxury cars and mercs sold in the 80's in U.S. There was a rule mandating either automatic seatbelts or airbags and the automakers choose the auto seatbelts as they were cheaper to maintain,but when airbags became mandatory,they stopped offering auto seabelts.
EDIT:Sorry, every car sold in the U.S in the 80's had one.

I had the opportunity to ride an old mazda protege in US for quite sometime. That car had auto seatbelts for driver and front passenger. Simple feature, but I dont really know what is stoppping car manufacturers to not reintroduce this 80's design.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:25   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
can't believe a rear passenger could be such a danger.C'mon how can it happen?He hit her from the back and she didn't touch the dashboard either.
She would have been wearing her belt. The campaign for wearing rear seat belts, in UK, was a good few years after wearing front belts became a universally obeyed rule.

I've also been told, by an British ex-policeman, that removing bits of human from the metal work of the seat in front of them was one of the less pleasant jobs of his career.

We see the seat, and we think it is soft: actually, it is a thinly-covered steel structure.

I saw this video when it was first shown, as a public information film, in UK. Although I rediscovered it, on You-Tube, recently, I actually never forgot it.

(Actually, the Brits used to be supremely good at this sort of thing. Something to do with the calm, understated narration, maybe)
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:12   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I had the opportunity to ride an old mazda protege in US for quite sometime. That car had auto seatbelts for driver and front passenger. Simple feature, but I dont really know what is stoppping car manufacturers to not reintroduce this 80's design.
Simple customers don't want to tangle or hassle with a seatbelt stretched across the door.
It would be cumbersome or clumsy entering the car.Though automakers could do with a new design.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:09   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Simple customers don't want to tangle or hassle with a seatbelt stretched across the door.
It would be cumbersome or clumsy entering the car.Though automakers could do with a new design.
The seatbelts were not tangling in any way, and no one had a problem entering the car. I guess it is something more than that.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote