Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th January 2012, 11:13   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: How do you convince family members to use helmets/wear seatbelts?

The best thing is to have a option in your car where in the car should not start if both front seat occupants (at least for a start) are not wearing the seat belts. Should be an option that can be set from the service guys which one cannot change.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 11:59   #182
BHPian

Default Re: How to make one 'want to' wear seat belts?

Nobody will understand the importance of helmets and seatbelts unless they have first hand experience of the problem caused by not wearing these safety devices.
Whatever you say will fall to deaf ears.
On the other hand people are just plain lazy to put on helmets or seatbelts.
I have seen some bikers riding bikes with helmets in hand (near elbow) but not on the head !!!! This is plain madness.
athanedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 12:25   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: How do you convince family members to use helmets/wear seatbelts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The best thing is to have a option in your car where in the car should not start if both front seat occupants (at least for a start) are not wearing the seat belts. Should be an option that can be set from the service guys which one cannot change.
There are clowns who keep the seat-belts engaged at all times and sit ON them. I've personally seen drivers do this on cars which have an alarm if the driver doesn't wear the seat-belt.

Where there's is a rule; there are ways to bypass it!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 15:09   #184
BHPian

In My car, It is a must rule for everyone to wear Seat belt.

Bring the awareness early:

1. My Son was always made to sit in the rear middle seat with fastend belt, even while just two of us are travelling. For me a big no no for kids to sit in the front seat.
2. I used to show him the selfish Dad's, who wears seat belt but let their kid to play in the front seat without seat belt, they used to standing there most of the time. I tell my son those dad's doesn't care about their kid's safety, but i care about you, so i put you on the safer seat.
3. My 1.5 year old daughter uses the Baby seat fixed in rear. She never complains the 6 point seat belts, she has to wear whether it is next street or to a 6 hours drive to Chennai.
4. I always call and tell my In-laws, bother's family to wear seat belt before they ride on Highways.

Tricks I used for the passengers in my car:

1. Co-Passenger - Tell him that police catches.
2. Rear passenger - I break hard, i don't want to hurt them and myself.
3. Resisting - collegues - If you are not wearing seat belts, it is Ok, but i have helmets in the boot. Please help yourself
4. For some one travells with me for the first time - Tell him that i am not expert in driving. I have seen lot of car toppling incidents within the city, even my friends are involved, few of them are unhurt due to seat belts. This horrifies them and they put the belt.
5. We should also demonstrates how it works, as they wonder, why it keept coming, how it will save us from hitting the dashboard.
TeddyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 15:18   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

^^

That is some innovative thinking! Just hope it doesn't backfire one day and people stop sitting in your car (with all the stories you tell them about your inexperience)

Commendable that you don't let your kids sit in the front.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 15:19   #186
BHPian

I've given up telling my friends to wear a helmet when sitting pillion on my bike or when they are riding their own bike. Why give them advice when they make fun of you for educating them? Let them bang their face on the road, only their experience will teach them. Recently, when I sat in my friend's car, I was on the passenger seat. As soon as I strapped up, I was waiting for a stupid comment from him, and he did not dissappoint me. He told me, "Why are you taking the efforts of wearing a belt? I'm not participating in a drag race!"

On another note, for parents and other family members whom I really 'care' about, wearing a helmet while riding pillion is compulsory on my bike. It's good that they they follow it without arguing.

I hope the next car I have has a button to switch off the airbags. If the front passenger doesn't wear a belt, I'll just turn off the passenger side airbag. When he will ask why I did that, I'll say that since you don't care about your life, I don't want to waste my money in getting a new airbag in case there is an accident.

Last edited by prateekm : 25th January 2012 at 15:21.
prateekm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 15:57   #187
Senior - BHPian

I try to follow a simple rule. I do not like taking more than a max of 3 others in my car as far as possible. Invariably they are family or very good friends or sometimes colleagues.

Luckily all of them so far realize the important of seat belts.

These newer vehicles have a warning PING in case the driver/ passenger seatbelts are not fastened and that is an amazingly good thing in terms of enforcing discipline I must say. They should also introduce the warning PING for rear seat passengers - that would force people to understand the value of seatbelts.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 14:06   #188
BHPian

This accident occured in riyadh may last week, killing all the passengers i guess, These people were trying to drift.

After seeing this i was thinking of seatbelts, If they had put seatbelts on will they escape from such a horrific flipping?, i think even the seatbelts will snap, right?

graphic content warning

sorry for bumping up old thread
splitsecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 14:36   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

One approach that worked for me with a cousin:

We were on a 100 km trip - (each way), same day return. When going, I let her travel without the belt. On the return, gently convinced her to wear the belt. She did, and even had a nap on the way. When we returned home, she says that it was actually more comfortable with the belt. The back-to-back compare helped

While she may have seen the comfort part, we also see the safety part.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 14:52   #190
BHPian

Usually it is just me and my wife in the car and we both habitually wear seat belts. Whenever I have others in the car I just tell them - "Please wear your seatbelt". Most people do. There are some who refuse. I just tell them - "This is my car and I refuse to allow people to travel without seatbelts. So wear the belt or find another way of travel. Your choice". Not once has anyone tried to find alternate transport. While the statement does sound rude, it always works. Most times I am successful in explaining the merits of seatbelts and convert those people during the drive.

The few that I have not been able to convince do not ask me for a lift again, but I dont care about that much. Afterall, they don't care about themselves, so why should I bother?

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 15:11   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

I try 3 approaches

1. In my car, you need to sit in front, you wear seat belt
2. Seatbelt is mandatory, police may catch
3. This is an airbag equipped car, airbag deployment without seatbelt can be fatal.

Another rule I have is that my 1.5 year old daughter or any other small kid cannot sit in front (I use the airbag point extensively. No one questions that). I also got a car seat for my kid against the comments of my friends/relatives (but with full support from my wife) and it has been a great decision. Not only is my kid safer, she actually enjoys the seat and it is much more relaxing and comfortable for her.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 8th June 2012 at 15:13.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 19:37   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I hope the next car I have has a button to switch off the airbags. If the front passenger doesn't wear a belt, I'll just turn off the passenger side airbag. When he will ask why I did that, I'll say that since you don't care about your life, I don't want to waste my money in getting a new airbag in case there is an accident.
AFAIK , most of the cars have a 'passenger airbag switch off button', atleast in the present Indigo Manza, i20 upwards, so one can use it in case of a child passenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
This accident occured in riyadh may last week, killing all the passengers i guess, These people were trying to drift.

After seeing this i was thinking of seatbelts, If they had put seatbelts on will they escape from such a horrific flipping?, i think even the seatbelts will snap, right?
Happens all time in Riyadh, "Tafheet" it is, as they were bored of ordinary street racing, Saudi youth without any particular job to do does this.
Seat belts or whatever , if there was the slightest idea of safety they wouldn't be doing this.
BTW, seen the guys sticking their heads or torso out of the cars while they are doing this, let alone seat belts.
BTW, i do like seeing Tafheet and enjoy Riyadh in general.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 22:49   #193
Senior - BHPian

My dad never wore them on his Alto. But now he has a Brio and it keeps complaining if you dont wear them. So he has started wearing seat belts all the time! Not only him, my mom also wears them when in front passenger seat.

Its a different story on the back seats though. nothing can make them wear seat belts at the back
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 23:08   #194
BANNED

When i take passengers in my car.Whether friends or family.Whether sitting behind or in the front passenger seat they never realize the importance of wearing the seat belts.Well maybe they think i am a safe driver which i am actually since i drive in the city at speeds of 35kph.But jokes apart, whether drive at 20 or 10 kph someone else who is at a high speed can crash into my car or any slow vehicle.
Well the only way to get everyone to wear seatbelts is to start the car only after all seatbelts are worn.

Last edited by raycers_honda : 8th June 2012 at 23:09. Reason: spelling mistake
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 23:09   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
I have seen some bikers riding bikes with helmets in hand (near elbow) but not on the head !!!! This is plain madness.
A few times I have discussed this with a friend of mine. We see a guy riding like this, and we are like.. "This guy's elbow is more important to him that his head??? "
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote