Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd January 2010, 00:26   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Me Neither.

Another of my seat belt lessons: If you don't believe that hitting a windscreen at 30, 20, or even 10 KMPH will do you any harm --- just try walking into a wall. Probably won't break anything, but it'll hurt!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 00:35   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Can we have a list of cars with seatbelt buzzers? From what I gather, we have the following:

1) Hyundai i20
2) VW Jetta
3) Toyota Corolla Altis

For many, the next car they buy could be from this list if they are worried about friends and family not wearing their seatbelts. I certainly wouldn't mind sacrificing a few things if I know the car will ensure that the occupants are belted in. If you know of any models that have the feature, copy the original list and add on. Also, it would be useful to know if its only for the driver or for the front passenger as well
I guess even honda city and linea have buzzers for the drivers seat.
The buzzer in linea makes such a noisy beep that forces you to wear seat belts.
not that i am complaining though
but it sure makes all the elders in my house to wear the seat belt
and thats what these buzzers aree meant for
ishlinea7260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:03   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Me Neither.

Another of my seat belt lessons: If you don't believe that hitting a windscreen at 30, 20, or even 10 KMPH will do you any harm --- just try walking into a wall. Probably won't break anything, but it'll hurt!
He he he nice way to teach people a lesson !
i guess its high time that people stop this silly business of not wearing seat belts.
The worst excuse i have heard was from a very good friend of mine who is slightly on the plumpier (read fatty) side that "saans aane mein dikkat hoti hai"
andi was like "seat belt pehn le , kahin baad mein saans hi na le paye!"
ishlinea7260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:58   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
WWhy do you need to take your belt off when parking? Due to my UK background, putting the belt on is practically synonymous with getting into the car and it doesn't occur to me to take it off until I get out again. Reaching for something on the back seat is about the only reason it gets taken off
Similar background here but somehow UK driving and parking doesn't involve watching out for stray dogs/cats sleeping under the vehicle haphazard city planning and sewer systems just add to chaos here.
akhilesh51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 02:43   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

London has some of those things some of the time, but... no, it doesn't rival India.
Old 2nd January 2010, 15:31   #111
Senior - BHPian

Buzzers can be annoying when you want to, say, take your car out of the garage and wash it etc, but overall, I'd rather have them than not. That's where the speed related buzzer comes in handy.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 13:58   #112
BHPian

I had a very good experience this weekend which I thought I'd share. I went for a long drive with my friends. There were four of us. I know those people too well and usually they don't care to wear the seat belts. They used to be "seatbelts are useless" types. But this time I was sooooo surprised to see that everybody was wearing the seatbelt even without me asking them to. I pulled over to the side and turned back to make sure that I was not fooled by the inner rear view mirrors.

I felt good seeing that. Later I came to know that two of them read Team BHP often. I felt proud and happy about that. People are actually paying attention to what experts here say.
DieselAddikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 14:11   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for posting that!

Not only can we learn from each other, but all can benefit.
Old 3rd February 2010, 22:46   #114
BHPian

People at home keep complaining about neck irritations that occur while wearing the seat belts and also use it as a good excuse to avoid it.

I got this seat belt cushions and now they have promised to buckle up. A very minor but a useful thing.

How to make one 'want to' wear seat belts?-dscf0176_filtered.jpg

Wish they don't come up with some other excuses
para_7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 01:02   #115
Senior - BHPian

One of my colleagues in US had an old (maybe 1989 model) Mazda protege which had 'automatic' seatbelt.
Actually the belts were mounted in a channel around the door. Whenever the door was opened, the belt top holder moved up and in front freeing the driver/passenger to embark/disembark.
Whenever the door was closed, the belt hook would move behind and then down to secure the fit.
Tell me - ain't that the best way to ensure someone wears seat belts? I have never seen it in any other car.
It cannot be a very expensive technique - protege/3 is the basic Mazda sedan.

Last edited by blackasta : 4th February 2010 at 01:05.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 02:28   #116
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

My guests I make them to wear. But the lady members of our family parliament always veto my minutes and push it away. But I never allow the privileged members to sit in the co driver's seat.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 02:52   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
One of my colleagues in US had an old (maybe 1989 model) Mazda protege which had 'automatic' seatbelt.
Actually the belts were mounted in a channel around the door. Whenever the door was opened, the belt top holder moved up and in front freeing the driver/passenger to embark/disembark.
Whenever the door was closed, the belt hook would move behind and then down to secure the fit.
Tell me - ain't that the best way to ensure someone wears seat belts? I have never seen it in any other car.
It cannot be a very expensive technique - protege/3 is the basic Mazda sedan.
IIRC, the early 90s model Civics and Accords had this too.But some folks would remove the seatbelt and drive around (seen a few characters do this when I was in Ohio).
This is probably the best way to ensure someone sits in the car with the seatbelts on.Works for those in front,for sure.
Texas is going to implement a rule state-wide.All occupants of a vehicle have to wear seatbelts when the car/truck is on the move.No ifs and buts.Else a $150 fine ensues.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 08:07   #118
Senior - BHPian

My linea has a buzzer which bugs me if i dont wear a seat belt. all along for the past 20 years i have never cared to touch it.
But in linea ther is no way you can escape from the buzzer . the buzzer starts to beep once you touch 20kmph and hoots for 3 minuts and shuts off and again when you stop at the signal or go below 20 and accelerate up it starts all over again.

the only way to shut of the buzzer is to buckle up before the start of the vehicle and wait for 30 seconds and then unbuckle and start the vehicle.

it is kind of irritating thing to do when you are in a hurry and the buzzer has a unique bell sound which will irritate your auditory senses and brain.

So i order to avoid this i had staterd to use the seat belt. now it has become habit for me to buckle up before i start my car.

So the only way to make the users buckle the seat belt is to irritate the S**t out of them
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 09:18   #119
Senior - BHPian

I managed in a very simple way. I show some of the pics from the thread "Accidents in India" & talk about the horror stories of not wearing the seat belts to my family & especially to my Son. Result - My 2 year son will never let anyone in the car sit peacefully unless they wear seatbelts (including him). He cries & shouts at top of his voice until they wear them
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 09:18   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
People at home keep complaining about neck irritations that occur while wearing the seat belts and also use it as a good excuse to avoid it.

I got this seat belt cushions and now they have promised to buckle up. A very minor but a useful thing.

Wish they don't come up with some other excuses
This is one of the best way to make the passengers to wear a seatbelt.Moreover in India very less people wear a seatbelt. But after any incident of an accident everyone will start wearing it.Somewhere they will learn the safety features of the seatbelt which will save you from death(steering hitting the chest and breaking all the ribs).So until they come across this they will never wear one.
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote