Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th February 2010, 09:25   #121
Senior - BHPian

In my car, the driver is king. If I tell the co-pax to wear seat belts, they wear it, no arguments about what is good or bad, whether the law is wrong, if you will die or not! NO point in reinventing the wheel every time you have to convince someone on seat belts - if he or she does not realise it himself or herself, they are better off listening and complying.

Last edited by hvkumar : 4th February 2010 at 09:26.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 09:27   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I managed in a very simple way. I show some of the pics from the thread "Accidents in India" & talk about the horror stories of not wearing the seat belts to my family & especially to my Son. Result - My 2 year son will never let anyone in the car sit peacefully unless they wear seatbelts (including him). He cries & shouts at top of his voice until they wear them
One qtn, Do your son use seat belt? This will have a negative effect.

Better to use child seat (with belts)
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 09:47   #123
BHPian

The awareness in smaller cities like my hometown hubli is almost nill. Even though there is a fair amount of people owning cars and driving them around i have not found a single person wearing a seat belt or making use of it. Infact even when some of my known persons from there travel on highways they dont bother to wear on.
My question is how do we convince the people of such small cities about the implications of not putting on seat belts. Believe me i have many arguments with them but was not able to convince most of them.
kites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 10:52   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
One qtn, Do your son use seat belt? This will have a negative effect.

Better to use child seat (with belts)
Yes, you're right he still wears the regular one & I've been telling my wife about the adverse effect. But ladies are still ladies, they think of saving the little money of not buying child seats (actually we need 1 for Daughter & 1 for Son) to fit in the car. Their argument - children will never remain the same for ever, when they grow up they don't need the child seat. My Son is too young to understand about child seat belts.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 13:05   #125
BHPian

Quote:
I managed in a very simple way. I show some of the pics from the thread "Accidents in India" & talk about the horror stories of not wearing the seat belts to my family & especially to my Son. Result - My 2 year son will never let anyone in the car sit peacefully unless they wear seatbelts (including him). He cries & shouts at top of his voice until they wear them
That can be even more irritating than any buzzer manufacturers can fit. Considering, it doesn't stop
adits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 13:20   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you're right he still wears the regular one & I've been telling my wife about the adverse effect. But ladies are still ladies, they think of saving the little money of not buying child seats (actually we need 1 for Daughter & 1 for Son) to fit in the car. Their argument - children will never remain the same for ever, when they grow up they don't need the child seat. My Son is too young to understand about child seat belts.
It is well documented & even there is a warning sticker in airbag equipped cars that children below 8-10 years must not be seated in the front seats with or without seatbelts. The best place for your kids is the rear seat.You must convince them, it is for their safety.
piyush78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 14:23   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post
It is well documented & even there is a warning sticker in airbag equipped cars that children below 8-10 years must not be seated in the front seats with or without seatbelts. The best place for your kids is the rear seat.You must convince them, it is for their safety.
So do I make them seated in the rear always with/without belts? Or do I still buy 2 child seats & belt them? Pls advice.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 14:45   #128
Senior - BHPian

At least for cab drivers I would suggest the cars to have increasingly noisy beeps, blinking parking/head lights, warning lights, shaking seats, engine immobilisation, steering lock etc... At least these should help them notice the signs and wear the seat belt. The blinking park lights should help cops to notice and catch the culprit as well...

I remeber seeing one Easycab driver who put the seat belt first and then sit on top of it after putting a cushion and towel ! Apparently this was to prevent the "annoying beeps"...
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 15:39   #129
Senior - BHPian

Default On the spot fine- non negotiable

Just fine drivers who don't wear a seatbelts.Well the fine should be around 2000 Rs. ,1000 rs for the cop who catches a driver and the other 1000 for the govt. as tax.Fair enough right.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 15:54   #130
BHPian

Seatbelts were made mandatory in Bangalore at one time, but i guess no one wears it. Cops should be stopping people without seat belts instead of those talking on sell phones (equally bad). However, what would people who own a decade plus old Amby and fiat do? Those cars came without seat belts. Moreover i have seen some Sumos that dont have one as well! Are they exempted?
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 17:16   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Seatbelts were made mandatory in Bangalore at one time, but i guess no one wears it. Cops should be stopping people without seat belts instead of those talking on sell phones (equally bad).
Given that talking on a cellphone endangers other road users too, that is worse than not wearing seatbelts. But you're right in saying its about time the cops implemented the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
However, what would people who own a decade plus old Amby and fiat do? Those cars came without seat belts. Moreover i have seen some Sumos that dont have one as well! Are they exempted?
Yes, they are. Cars made before 1994 (IIRC) are exempted.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 11:36   #132
BHPian

My Hyundai i20 Magna has the seat belt warning beep and display light for the drivers seat that stops after 6 seconds of beeping.

So before you know it the irritation factor is gone and there is no incentive for the reluctant non - conformist driver to wear the seat belt. In my opinion such a warning system is very short sighted and even flawed as in the very purpose for which it is meant is not served.

Is there a way to re- program the mechanism such that the beeps don't stop until the seat belt has been put on?
Mubeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 14:15   #133
BHPian

I have observed the "no seat belts" syndrome and the common issues / excuses seem to be:
We have never worn them for so many years in this country and have managed well. Why now?
It takes time and effort to fasten and remove them.
I feel so restricted and immobile.
I look lame / unfashionable wearing them when so many folks are going around merrily without seat belts.

As has been suggested by other members, a demo of hard stops and acceleration (when there is not much traffic) would toss people around and possibly drive home the point (with some talking).

The images / videos should help too, but then people tend to shrug things off either illogically ("it won't happen to me" or "it isn't guaranteed to protect in the event of an accident") or philosophically ("what has to happen will happen anyways").

Also, as a driver, one can simply refuse to take out the car if other occupants don't wear their seat belts.

Law enforcement is very important, but it can't supplant common sense.
spindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 05:06   #134
BHPian

Here is an interesting Ad supporting Seat belt use

Last edited by gshanky : 17th February 2010 at 05:10. Reason: changing the youtube url
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 07:13   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Here is an interesting Ad supporting Seat belt use

Watched this Ad sometime around in Youtube and I really liked it. I actually thought of putting it here and......you are fast man!
vinesataris is offline   Reply With Quote