Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th December 2009, 10:00   #16
BHPian

Do the organizers ensure that the tyre pressure is set to the prescribed level in all the vehicles? If not isn’t there a possibility that the contestants can jack up the air pressure real high to reduced the rolling resistance??

But like Jose said, I would be overjoyed to get just half of what these chaps have managed, in city driving conditions.
Spinnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 10:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

interesting
do share your technique used - RPM range / speedo reading at the time of shifting up/down.
I will try it and see what happens

While my Scorpio gave me 20.6 there was a Bolero owner who clocked 32kmpl.
My average mileage is around 11-12 kmpl in city and 13-15 kmpl on the highways. And I do push the bull to the limits on all fronts![/quote]
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 10:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
This isn't too surprising. I remember a long time back, there was a similar FE challenge by Autocar. A Skoda Octavia clocked 30+ kpl and that was a drive up a hill. Yes, up a hill. The reasons for such a dramatic increase in FE were explained as follows

1) Bothering about FE: Normally, its unnatural to drive so smoothly and upshift so early, hardly touch the brakes, coast when possible, not use the air-con, etc. etc. The number of small things that we can do to increase FE is surprising but its ridiculous to expect drivers to do so in regular driving. This factor alone could probably double your figure if you follow it as much as possible.

2) Knowledge of the route: Another crucial aspect. If you know the roads you're driving on, you'll know when to slow down, where to speed up etc. Makes a big difference as you drive more smoothly if you know what's coming

3) Traffic: In normal driving, you're just another guy among the hundreds of road users you encounter. But in these FE marathons, you're in a convoy. The cars in the middle and back generally follow the cars ahead of them and don't have to make any manouvers to avoid traffic. Plus, you can stay in the slipstream of the car ahead throughout the drive and that increses FE too.
+1
very nice points raised especially about slipstreaming and coasting. thanks for sharing.

it is surprising though that even if you use these points to a smaller extent your FE goes up amazingly.

i have a getz crdi, although i always try to cruise at 120 kmph and i have 185 profile sticky potenza gIIIs, i usually get more than 19 kmpl, inside city conditions, driving from delhi to grugaon, where 30-40% driving is in absolute choc-a-bloc traffic.

but to get a nice FE requires a lot of knowledge of mechanics, combustion, traffic, friction and everything.

Last edited by pb10gagan : 17th December 2009 at 10:43.
pb10gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 11:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
very nice points raised especially about slipstreaming and coasting. thanks for sharing.
I doubt there's a noticeable slipstream effect at normal road speeds (i.e. non-racing speeds).

Last edited by Perakath : 17th December 2009 at 11:19.
Perakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 12:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
I doubt there's a noticeable slipstream effect at normal road speeds (i.e. non-racing speeds).
a racing car (for example an F1 car) would not create any turbulence at normal road speeds. that is because none of its parts pose any aerodynamic obstruction. apart from the front and rear wing.

but think of a bus, truck, canter, bolero, scorpio, these things have an aerodynamic property of a brick. so they generate huge turbulence even at normal road speeds.

have you ever felt sucked towards a scorpio or a bus when it passes you on a highway at 90 kmph?

i have felt it umpteen number of times in my indica

Last edited by pb10gagan : 17th December 2009 at 12:09.
pb10gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 12:09   #21
BHPian

Nice to see M&M organize such event for their customers. Any idea how the mileage testing was done ?? I am sure these figures will not come up during daily drives but for the prize winners it definitely would be a good feel .
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 12:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
have you ever felt sucked towards a scorpio or a bus when it passes you on a highway at 90 kmph?

i have felt it umpteen number of times in my indica
Oh, that's true. I have.
Perakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 15:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is! Not as significant as at racing speeds but very much a factor. No single factor of the lot will increase your FE significantly. Its a case of little drops of water...
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:20   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes there is. If you watch Tour De France or similar cycling events, even they use slipstreams of the riders riding in the front.

Btw, I had participated in one such event organised by tata motors for Petrol Indica owners. While my friend's indica gave 22Kmpl, the winner got a whopping 45 kmpl. So these figures are acheivable but not on a day to day basis.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 18:58   #25
BHPian

what a pathetic concept ! why to organise such events which have no practical use at all?
in your daily run if you are not going to get even half of that kmph , why to drool @ all this ?
someone will pick up a accord v6 or say audi a4 3.2tfsi some day and will drive it under test conditions and get say 18 kmph out of it , so should everyone buy those on FE virtues?
rather take that bunch of those 40 odd boleros n teach the owners how to get better FE in day to day traffic, when to shut the engine , how to change gears at proper rpm etc etc.... why waste time n diesel like this?
quattroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 20:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
what a pathetic concept ! why to organise such events which have no practical use at all?
Cheap advertising, perhaps?
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 01:15   #27
BHPian

can any one say how the fuel efficiency of those cars been calculated??
crazyjeeperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 08:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Participating in real life traffic drive has opened my eyes for careful driving. I now clock atleast 2+km on my FE with my regular driving style.
getsurya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 14:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Figuring out a good mileage in a rally is an easiets of the tasks. I got fuel efficiency of 29kmpl in my Indica Vista during mileage rally
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 21:58   #30
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Bolero clocks a mileage of 35.15 kmpl!

Quote:
Yes, well, I think what matters is how much you get in normal driving conditions / what is sustainable with your normal driving style, and not how much the vehicle is capable of.

Plus I wouldn't put it beyond a manufacturer to tamper with fuel meters, etc.

No offence mate-- as you said, the choice of whether to believe or not lies with me.

I know my reply is few years late; nevertheless.

No offence but this is a thread on fact...not how much bolero achieves in normal conditions.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote