Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th March 2012, 20:31   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaapps View Post
For me only good thing comes out of Budget 2012-13 is there is no extra surcharge on Diesel cars. That means Tata Nano Diesel will come this year end (Hope fully)
The diesel tax issue was not at all a reason for TATA delaying the launch of Nano Diesel. The reason is that they don't want to cannibalize the sales of petrol model which has just picked up with the 2012 model! And because of this, they have decided to launch the diesel variant only next year, probably by April or so. It will NOT come this year end.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 22:01   #242
BHPian

Default re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now

I think, Tata is doing a mistake by delaying the launch of Nano Diesel. Hyundai Eon, Maruti Alto or Spark, if launched with a small diesel engine, there will be no room for the tata. The early entry advantage also will be lost. I believe that Eon Diesel is likely to come soon. Then, naturally, it will be hot seller.
KMohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 22:20   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
I think, Tata is doing a mistake by delaying the launch of Nano Diesel. Hyundai Eon, Maruti Alto or Spark, if launched with a small diesel engine, there will be no room for the tata. The early entry advantage also will be lost. I believe that Eon Diesel is likely to come soon. Then, naturally, it will be hot seller.
In my view, they should stabilize with the petrol version as still the full potential of petrol variant is unplugged.
There is a room for another 3 to 4K / month to the existing 7K numbers.
If they launch petrol now, it may be like Beat, which is struggling to come to main stream yet.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 23:15   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
The Nano 'we' want is not going to be cheap. Purely from the engineering point of view. Add to that that the vendors (who are still licking their wounds) are unlikely to play ball this time around -> further cost escalation.

So how many will buy the Nano at regular car prices? If it is called the Nano, and looks like a Nano, very few I would guess. So a chicken and egg situation. Will TML launch such a version in India?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 05:33   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
The Nano 'we' want is not going to be cheap. Purely from the engineering point of view. Add to that that the vendors (who are still licking their wounds) are unlikely to play ball this time around -> further cost escalation.

So how many will buy the Nano at regular car prices? If it is called the Nano, and looks like a Nano, very few I would guess. So a chicken and egg situation. Will TML launch such a version in India?

Regards
Sutripta
A diesel Nano will be considerably cheaper than any other diesel option in the Indian market, no matter what Tata decides to price it. They should know since they already make one of the lowest priced diesel cars in India.

From the base model Nano to the base model Indica, Tata still have a chunky difference of nearly 2 lacs to play with!! A person buying a diesel Nano has no other diesel option anywhere close to his budget. Lets also not forget the fuel efficiency factor.

Also Tata is not making a whole new car to start vendor discussions from scratch, the Nano platform already exists. Agreed that the Nano had a pathetic start but the vendors can already see numbers picking up. Also in the present climate any vendor worth their salt knows the potential of a 2-2.5 lac diesel car in India, its not rocket science!!
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 05:52   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread

A diesel Nano will be considerably cheaper than any other diesel option in the Indian market, no matter what Tata decides to price it. They should know since they already make one of the lowest priced diesel cars in India.

From the base model Nano to the base model Indica, Tata still have a chunky difference of nearly 2 lacs to play with!! A person buying a diesel Nano has no other diesel option anywhere close to his budget. Lets also not forget the fuel efficiency factor.

Also Tata is not making a whole new car to start vendor discussions from scratch, the Nano platform already exists. Agreed that the Nano had a pathetic start but the vendors can already see numbers picking up. Also in the present climate any vendor worth their salt knows the potential of a 2-2.5 lac diesel car in India, its not rocket science!!
Totally agree. The Nano diesel will only boost volumes (add to current sales) and the vendors will be happy. The new elements will be fuel filter, fuel lines, diesel engine, and may be some changes in gearing, if tata decides to keep changes to minimum.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 10:31   #247
BHPian

The only reason they are delaying the launch is because they know very well if diesel Nano is launched petrol Nano sales will take a backseat. This year with the Nano 2012 model coming out, Nano sales have really picked up. So i don't see any diesel Nano model getting launched this year. They would concentrate on petrol Nano only. If others come up with diesel engines then Tata would also jump into the same. Till then i don't see a change in their current strategy with respect to Nano
Dushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 11:18   #248
Senior - BHPian

The top of line petrol variant of this car retails at 2.38 lac on road in Bangalore. A diesel will make a lot more expensive and this will defeat the purpose of it being a budget ride. It is already priced quite high. I blame this a lot on the wonderful tax policies each state has.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 11:33   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The top of line petrol variant of this car retails at 2.38 lac on road in Bangalore. A diesel will make a lot more expensive and this will defeat the purpose of it being a budget ride. It is already priced quite high.
Hello,

I could not agree with you more. Me and my family are a huge fan of the Alto. We are about to book the Alto K10 Vxi but for patriotic reasons we had a very serious look at the Nano.

But we were disappointed after seeing the prices and what the car offered. My mother and sister were particularly disturbed by the engine noise at the rear (since they would occupy the rear seats for most of the time, this feedback was very important)

My father finally said : I do not mind paying more and get a car that everybody is happy with. If we had the money to buy two small cars, one of them would have been a Nano.

Diesel would make the car even more expensive. Also, for people like me, who do not have very high monthly running to justify a diesel, will still continue to look at the Alto. I doubt if Nano diesel will significantly boost sales.

Thank you
darsa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 15:24   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The top of line petrol variant of this car retails at 2.38 lac on road in Bangalore. A diesel will make a lot more expensive and this will defeat the purpose of it being a budget ride. It is already priced quite high. I blame this a lot on the wonderful tax policies each state has.
What matters is not the buying price but the cost of owning and driving one. One of the factors contributing to Nano's less than expected sales is the fact that its cost of ownership is not significantly lower than competition. If an average person is asked to choose between a Nano that effectively gives 15-17 KM per litre of petrol in city and a diesel Nano that gives a mileage of 25-30 KMPL in the same conditions, I'm sure he wouldn't mind paying 1 lac rupees extra.

In addition to lowering the cost of ownership, Diesel Nano will also offer better performance. The engine is bigger - an extra 170 CC. It's also more powerful due to CRDI technology and turbocharging.

Let's also not forget the rural/moffusil/taxi category of buyers for whom the fuel cost is even more important.

So I would expect it to be a winner.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 16:41   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
What matters is not the buying price but the cost of owning and driving one.
You have a very valid point.

As with everything TATA, the diesel Nano will be another experiment. The first diesel engine will be problem prone, hopefully there are no fires with a diesel engine variant. At one lac plus premium for a diesel, I find it way too expensive. I find the petrol way over the top but see myself buying one as I love the dimensions of the car.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 16:55   #252
Senior - BHPian

Suggestions for the Nano:
Offer buy back for Nano petrol cars already sold in exchange for the Nano diesel when it (finally) arrives
Work on getting an auto tranny in the Nano
Other space options such as magic seating for flexibility in moving around
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 09:50   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsa View Post
Hello,

My mother and sister were particularly disturbed by the engine noise at the rear (since they would occupy the rear seats for most of the time, this feedback was very important)

Thank you
Agree with that completely. The only turn-off I find with the Nano is the sound. The 2012 Nano still sounds like an auto-rickshaw while idling. Tata should do something to tune the sound.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 14:02   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsa View Post
My mother and sister were particularly disturbed by the engine noise at the rear (since they would occupy the rear seats for most of the time, this feedback was very important)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Agree with that completely. The only turn-off I find with the Nano is the sound. The 2012 Nano still sounds like an auto-rickshaw while idling. Tata should do something to tune the sound.
You get what you pay for. It is unrealistic to expect a 2 cylinder engine to sound smooth. Even cars like Fiat 500 and Beetle (the old ones) used to produce similar sound. The diesel will be even noisier.

When Tata launches the smooth-sounding 3 cylinder, 1 litre engine in Nano, people will complain that the car is too expensive!
directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:31   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
From the base model Nano to the base model Indica, Tata still have a chunky difference of nearly 2 lacs to play with!!
How much more should a (lets call it 'our Nano Europa' with a 3 pot CRDI) cost over a topend current Nano? From markey acceptance PoV and Cost of production PoV.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote