Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th April 2012, 11:53   #286
BHPian

Default re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now

I got following furhter information from my source .
Nano Disel will come to market in Year 2013. It is ready for production.
It is proper Hatch back. So it will have some really usable space there.
New front and Rear Bumper,to distinguish it from Nano Petrol.
Front disk breaks will be standard.
13 Inch tyers ,better noise insulation in cabin , as this is disel car .
Suspension stengthen to take extra weight around 750 /770 KG.
800 CC two cylinder engine ,Tata worked with German firm FEV. 40 BHP ,near about 40 KM per liter average as per ARAI . On road it should give around 30 KM +
Engine will first go to Tata ACE CRDI in detuned state for the commercial vehicle.
Engine can be worked upon by removing rear bumper through
cradle. Work is going on to reduce the price of Nano Diesel, so expect spartan interior ,without much fanfare , though it will have the lockable storage in glove box ala Nano CNG.Tata is trying to ship basic version will be less than 2 Lakh ruppees at showrooms.
dbaapps is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 14:28   #287
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now

That is excellent news if we can trust the source. Though 2013 for the diesel looks like a delayed launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaapps View Post
I got following furhter information from my source .
It is proper Hatch back. So it will have some really usable space there.
Front disk breaks will be standard.
13 Inch tyers ,better noise insulation in cabin , as this is disel car .
Suspension stengthen to take extra weight around 750 /770 KG.
800 CC two cylinder engine ,Tata worked with German firm FEV. 40 BHP ,near about 40 KM per liter average as per ARAI . On road it should give around 30 KM +
it will have the lockable storage in glove box ala Nano CNG.
All the above features will be excellent ad-ons to the current petrol Nano too.
They should launch these features on the petrol Nano, if the diesel one is getting delayed.

Last edited by safari_lover : 10th April 2012 at 14:29.
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 17:33   #288
BHPian

Eventually , I see all these features comes to Nano Petrol also. My guess is that start from Nano 800 CC petrol will have these. As every body knows that, Nano Petrol will not be the only Car in its segment it will spawn many variants and models. It will have CNG,petrol, Diesel, ethanol(for Brazil ??) and mixed of them. Yes, I have seen all these option (except Diesel) in one car in Brazil (Sao Paulo) . So it is possible to have all these fuel option for Nano. Also other features will be there in some of the variants.
dbaapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 19:55   #289
Senior - BHPian

Its important that Tata stabilize the petrol Nano sales before releasing the diesel variant into the market.

Unless there is a phenomenal cock up by Tata (not entirely impossible), I dont see why the diesel Nano shouldnt be a big sales success.

But the important thing is that the diesel variants supplement the existing petrol sales rather than cannibalize it!!
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 21:00   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread
Its important that Tata stabilize the petrol Nano sales before releasing the diesel variant into the market.

Unless there is a phenomenal cock up by Tata (not entirely impossible), I dont see why the diesel Nano shouldnt be a big sales success.

But the important thing is that the diesel variants supplement the existing petrol sales rather than cannibalize it!!
Mixing petrol and diesel is not a great idea IMHO

Two separate teams work on diesel and gasoline engines. They have work cut out for them.

Diesel is where TATA's strength lies, so as you say - it must be good unless they try to compromise quality for cost.

Today, for someone who runs a car for 40kms or more, diesel offers great economy. With traffic getting denser and slower, we idle the engine more and use AC as well - diesel adds tremendous value. Small Diesels will be most favoured personal transport.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 21:34   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post

Diesel is where TATA's strength lies, so as you say - it must be good unless they try to compromise quality for cost.

Today, for someone who runs a car for 40kms or more, diesel offers great economy. With traffic getting denser and slower, we idle the engine more and use AC as well - diesel adds tremendous value. Small Diesels will be most favoured personal transport.
With the kind of rumoured mileage or anywhere close to it, the diesel Nano makes economic sense even if diesel subsidies are reduced.
Its a viable long term seller for Tata.

Of late though they have considerably underdelivered at launch and then play catch up, hopefully things are different this time around.
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 21:44   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread
Of late though they have considerably underdelivered at launch and then play catch up, hopefully things are different this time around.
Agree - Aria story is well known - overpriced and niggle prone.

Probably because of this - Tata is delaying launch of Storme - kind of looks like they are still not confident. Really hope Nano does not end up like this.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 12:43   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post

Well , Tata Motors working on opening more Nano specific sales showroom and getting to rural areas and tier 3 and tier 4 cities, as it was one of the reason for poor sales , but now it is stabilized to 9K to 10K per month.

That is why Tata motors is working on 800 CC petrol engine for Nano , so it will have two Petrol nano variants 632 CC and 800 CC petrol and CNG and three variants for 800 CC Diesel .

It was the main reason (Cannibalize) why Tata is waiting for so long to introduce a Diesel and reducing the cost of it is another one why they did not introduce it with Petrol.
dbaapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 15:27   #294
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice Info Dbapps.

40 KMPL by ARAI though is a very tough target it is bang in gearless two wheeler territory and that too with Diesel. Yep diesels give higher fuel economy and this is a light wt diesel still anything beyound 35 KMPL ARAI and close to 30 in real world conditions would be superb.

2013 does seem a long way off.

It does indeed need a face and bottom refresh both for petrol and diesel.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 19:37   #295
Senior - BHPian

How true is it that the actual FE of the Nano petrol is around 18kmpl in the city? Which isn't bad at all for a petrol. But makes me think of what the FE of the 800cc Nano would be? 1415? In that case, would I bother with the 800 or just go buy the Alto!
I don't know anyone who owns a Nano so don't know what the true FE is so my hypothesis could be pretty lame!
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 20:39   #296
BHPian

Default Tata Nano Fuel Efficiency etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
How true is it that the actual FE of the Nano petrol is around 18kmpl in the city? Which isn't bad at all for a petrol. But makes me think of what the FE of the 800cc Nano would be? 1415? In that case, would I bother with the 800 or just go buy the Alto!
I don't know anyone who owns a Nano so don't know what the true FE is so my hypothesis could be pretty lame!
There are a number of threads on Nano which gives ALL INFORMATION and LIST OF ALL ISSUES on NANO.
Eg :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tata-nano.html (Tata Nano)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ll-issues.html (TATA nano - List of ALL issues)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...-buy-nano.html

We, all Nano owners, shared our experiences for the benefit of those who are thinking of buying a nano, like you !!!
KMohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 22:51   #297
Team-BHP Support

Diesels require significantly more NVH insulation from the cabin. Lets hope the ride quality of the diesel Nano is not similar to diesel auto rickshaws.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 23:07   #298
Senior - BHPian

OT, but stumbled upon this article It May Be Diesel's Turn to Shine As Americans Yawn at Hybrids - Forbes
Americans are willing to pay $2000 premium for Diesel cars even though diesel is 20-30% costlier than Petrol in US.
Quote:
Diesel represents a high-fuel-economy alternative,” Brad Smith, director of Polk’s loyalty-management practice, told me. “Diesel [fuel] prices are still pretty high, but the increased range you get, as well as some longevity factors with diesel powertrains, create some opportunities to retain loyalty for the diesel type.”
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 23:31   #299
BHPian

Atleast in the Nano Diesel, it would be better for Tata to consider having the Engine in the front/under the hood rather than under/behind the rear seat.

The rear engine design has a lot of disadvantages like luggage space crunch, vibration and overheating issues. Having a front engine will make it a proper car rather than tending towards an Auto-Richshaw design.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 11th April 2012 at 23:34.
for_cars1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 07:49   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Having a front engine will make it a proper car rather than tending towards an Auto-Richshaw design.
Ridiculous statement. Just because it has a rear engine Nano's tending to be a rick? And may I know your thoughts please on why you think only the front engined variety are 'proper' cars?
rrsteer is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote