Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th May 2012, 15:24   #316
BHPian

Default re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
I dont mind a 4 lakh nano with a powerful diesel engine, bigger wheels n tyres, rattle free interiors and great paint job.
I doubt it if you, alongwith most Indian car buyers, would put your money where your mouth is. Let's face it - no one would spend 4 lakhs on a nano, no matter what it offers for that price. It is no i20. I would spend max 3L on a top-end nano diesel. Even if it crosses that price by a rupee, it will definitely find fewer takers. I think we must not miss our estimate of the Indian car buyer. The Alto did'nt sell 30k a month for nothing. It also took a long time to reach that number, a point well worth noting.
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 16:13   #317
BHPian

Default re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now

With 100 Nm torque, it could propel an Indica better than the existing one !!

An elongated Nano would be better.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 16:41   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000

I doubt it if you, alongwith most Indian car buyers, would put your money where your mouth is. Let's face it - no one would spend 4 lakhs on a nano, no matter what it offers for that price. It is no i20. I would spend max 3L on a top-end nano diesel. Even if it crosses that price by a rupee, it will definitely find fewer takers. I think we must not miss our estimate of the Indian car buyer. The Alto did'nt sell 30k a month for nothing. It also took a long time to reach that number, a point well worth noting.
I have already put my money where my mouth is, twice

1) Indica Xeta (petrol)
2) Fiat Linea

In both cases, I was advised by learned friends and family against the purchase, and I confess I havent regretted either decision.

Indian customers' choice is not easy to predict. A car with cramped and claustrophobic rear seat and almost no boot space does 15000 numbers a month. A car which is beautiful to look at and has the best ride in class sells 200 a month. Its hard to predict what hits and what misses, but a car must have at least one distinctly desirable feature to sell in reasonable numbers.
autocrat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 12:12   #319
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Default Nano Diesel caught testing

Got to read this on IAB

Quote:
Tata had to make modifications to the car’s front and rear bumpers during the transplantation. It is suspected that an intercooler has been installed behind the bumper and piped to the engine that is mounted at the back.
The front air inlets have been redesigned, and to facilitate this change, the fog light enclosures have been moved aside.
The Nano DICOR draws power from a sub-1,000cc twin-cylinder diesel engine that is turbocharged. Tata is developing a low-cost, on-demand power steering system for the car and has proved that fitting disc brakes is possible through the Tata Nano concept, showcased at the 2012 Delhi Auto Expo.
The big names in the components industry such as Bosch and Honeywell are rumored to be part of the project. We’ve also informed readers on reports of vendors pessimistic of Tata’s sales projections for the upcoming variant having burnt their fingers with the volume estimates of the under-performing petrol variant.
Reports in the past have claimed that the Tata Nano diesel is ultra-efficient and returns 40kmpl.
Video -

Picture - Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now-tata-nano-diesel.jpg

If this car returns 40kmpl, it would be amazing for TATA and the nation. I only wish TATA had designed the car better instead of giving it a confused look.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 22:30   #320
Senior - BHPian

NANO DIESEL will be a 0.8 ltr 3 cylinder engine, which will have world's smallest turbo developed by HONEYWELL.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 13:45   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
NANO DIESEL will be a 0.8 ltr 3 cylinder engine, which will have world's smallest turbo developed by HONEYWELL.
Thanks for the info. Do you have a source for that or is this inside information? By source I mean e/magazine or news article published anywhere that we could also reference.

Also, any idea if anything has been done to damp vibration from the engine? Any power/torque indications? And finally, when will it be released?
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 14:05   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you have a source for that or is this inside information? By source I mean e/magazine or news article published anywhere that we could also reference.
Inside info? Not anymore. This has been publicized by Honeywell itself, in their websites.

Honeywell Turbo Technologies » Engineering Excellence

Quote:
Honeywell’s advanced turbo solutions help meet emissions and fuel economy targets for the broadest range of vehicles in all segments and in all regions – from 0.8L Tata Nano to 100L Caterpillar mining truck. Its global team of engineers currently support 500 new engine programs in the pipeline as well as 100 new launches each year, and the company maintains the largest presence in emerging regions, providing end-to-end ownership for local engine programs.

Also from their portfolio during the bidding process for the Jaguar jet engine upgrade. http://honeywellforjaguar.com/downlo...a_brochure.pdf :

Quote:
The diesel Tata Nano will be turbocharged by Honeywell
Name:  honturbonano.png
Views: 2786
Size:  195.8 KB

Slightly older news:
http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Gener...turbo-20110118
Quote:
Tata’s Nano CRDi will be a sub one-litre car to be produced as a joint venture with Bosch and Honeywell. It will be one of the world’s smallest turbodiesel production engines.

Although final capacity is to be confirmed, a swept volume of between 600 and 700cc is expected.

With Bosch common-rail injection (the smallest high-pressure diesel delivery system yet developed for a vehicle) and a Honeywell turbocharger, the Nano CRDi should offer class-leading power and efficiency in the sub one-litre supermini class.

The Nano CRDi is expected to be available to Indian buyers by the third quarter of 2011.

Last edited by bejoy : 31st May 2012 at 14:21. Reason: Added additional info.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 14:19   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
I doubt it if you, alongwith most Indian car buyers, would put your money where your mouth is. Let's face it - no one would spend 4 lakhs on a nano, no matter what it offers for that price. It is no i20. I would spend max 3L on a top-end nano diesel. Even if it crosses that price by a rupee, it will definitely find fewer takers.
I do agree as with all cars, diesel mills should not be priced more than 1.2 L costlier than its petrol version. So perhaps 3.3L should be fair pricing.
The cheapest diesel car as of now is around 6L.

what I dont get is why did you bring the i20 in this discussion? Its not available for 4L, definitely not the diesel one. And the nano is not even in the same segment. Its probably 2 segments lower.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 14:23   #324
Senior - BHPian

Well, now that it is in the open, why doesn't Tata make the specs of the engine public as well? Or this also in the public domain but i just missed it. Going to google now.

Edit: Found this interesting tidbit: http://m.moneycontrol.com/news/cnbc-...ve_709336.html

Quote:
Currently, the total sales of petrol Nano stands at 7,000 units a month compared to anticipated 25,000 units. After this setback vendors are taking diesel launch in a more sensible manner. Vendors dont want to set up their capacity, which Tatas according to our sources are expected to do about 2.5 lakh units per annum.

Tatas is trying to revise it to only 30,000 units per annum. Thats the volume they are looking at to which the vendors are not looking at giving them any discounts. Vendors are charging some premium or at least higher pricing for 30,000 units per annum to which Tata Motors are not ready to pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy
Inside info? Not anymore. This has been publicized by Honeywell itself, in their websites.
Thanks, precisely why I had asked for the source that I can refer to as well.

Last edited by VeluM : 31st May 2012 at 14:33.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 16:38   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
what I dont get is why did you bring the i20 in this discussion? Its not available for 4L, definitely not the diesel one. And the nano is not even in the same segment. Its probably 2 segments lower.
The i20 is the only over-priced (others may disagree) hatch to sell in good numbers in India. It certainly is a curious case.It goes back to the same point where I said that the nano would be overpriced at 4L.
The answer to that puzzle of the i20's success lies in the fact that (I got this from another team-bhp thread only) the Honda Jazz was priced higher by a significant margin at the time.
Old 31st May 2012, 16:46   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
The i20 is the only over-priced (others may disagree) hatch to sell in good numbers in India. It certainly is a curious case.It goes back to the same point where I said that the nano would be overpriced at 4L.
The answer to that puzzle of the i20's success lies in the fact that (I got this from another team-bhp thread only) the Honda Jazz was priced higher by a significant margin at the time.
Maybe, as the i20 numbers are certainly puzzling. It has also got to do with the fact that it has a diesel option and comes with fully loaded features. It was positioned as the hot hatch or super hatch.

Anyway, I think this is more OT now. Lets get back to the Nano and see how it will be priced. Anything above 3.3 to 3.5 range seems a bit much. They will need to provide some other features to justify a higher price.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 17:28   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
I have already put my money where my mouth is, twice

1) Indica Xeta (petrol)
2) Fiat Linea
Good for you. I started with a Tata Indica turbo myself and ended up with two Marutis in my garage, in both cases after doing an evaluation and not because my xyz said so.Unfortunately, the market does not think like you and me.

All said and done, you and I might still go for the 4 lakh nano, but believe me people will find reasons not to buy it. I would be glad to be proven wrong. Honest to God- I'm figuring out how to get my wife to sell the Estilo and buy this instead, or instead gift her my Diesel Ritz. I'm still in love with that yellow Nano. I went for my Ritz VDi only because I can't stand limiting my highway cruise speeds to 90 kph. And the diesel nano still is'nt available in the market.

Anyways, I hope the Nano comes out with a better performing engine in the diesel version. 40 bhp + 30-40 kpl + 120 kph top speed - that will make the 'aware buyer' fall in love with it for sure. Here's to it's success
Old 4th June 2012, 19:02   #328
BHPian

Hi,
As per my last information from my source inside the company, price will start ex showroom for Diesel Nano will be 2 Lakhs rupees. Top most version will be around 2 lakh 70 thousand rupees. I don't know from where we got 4 Lakh rupees. Currently they are working on cost reduction program.
dbaapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 22:35   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaapps View Post
Hi,
As per my last information from my source inside the company, price will start ex showroom for Diesel Nano will be 2 Lakhs rupees. Top most version will be around 2 lakh 70 thousand rupees. I don't know from where we got 4 Lakh rupees. Currently they are working on cost reduction program.
It is too early to talk about the price. Only we can say is, Nano Ds target price at the moment is 2 Lakhs. That does not mean it will be THE price at the time of launch. A lot depends when it will be finally launched, how much modification needed to convert the current model to Diesel.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:25   #330
BHPian

Hi,
Well I said they are trying to get cost down to that level, in my earliest reply.
Hopefully they achieve what they want on price front.
One more news on Small Diesel engine .

Maruti Suzuki is coming up with a nano (800) CC diesel engine. To give a tough competition to NANO Diesel.

Here is the URL

Maruti Suzuki's 800cc diesel engine to deliver 30kmpl average - The Economic Times

So, I think Tata should come out this nano diesel engine fast ,or loose the first in the market advantage to super efficient Maruti Suzuki .
dbaapps is offline   Reply With Quote