Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th January 2010, 22:12   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Till recently the Versa after discounts came with a sub 3 lac price tag and a 1.3 engine, yet did not find many takers, despite the many strengths of the van
The Versa was never with a sub 3 lakh tag;it was only the std 5 str non ac version which was launched at 3.55 lakhs ex-showroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Maruti still isn't late to plonk the 1.3 MJD into the Versa/eeeco and launch it with a killer price tag.
The 1.3MJD will not be able to lug the load that this car is expected to carry;a bigger engine is required
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 22:42   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Well , I have just realised, the Eeco at 1475mm width is narrower than the Nano (1495mm) !

Wish they could have widened it by a couple of inches, to take in big guys like me.
Guess they had to accommodate the Alto size dashboard without too much modifcation, also the alto headlamps
Another point to note is that they are offering the seven seater only as a standard model , the top variant as of now is the 5 seater AC model.
I mean what stopped them from making the damn thing wider ,put chunkier rubber , bolster it well on the inside , use better body styling than the flat van panels of versa , double AC ( maybe floor mounted if they were short on height ) and give a good seven seater MPV? And sell it for say 3.5 lacs with the petrol version and the MJD version for 4.5 lacs ?
i MEAN ARE THEY CREATING A UPGRADED VAN OR WHAT ?
It could well been a nice vehicle in a class of its own

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 8th January 2010 at 22:46.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 23:09   #168
Senior - BHPian

@ Vigsom

The ex showroom price (Delhi) of the base Versa was at 3.28, and that too without taking into account any discounts. Even this was a very competitive price for the car when there is literally no competition around other than the more crude Omini. But even the Bachan father/Son combo did not rake in the numbers expected. The experience should have been enough for Maruti to understand that price wasnt the factor Versa didn't do good volumes.

The 1.3 MJD produces 75bhp/190Nm against the more feeble figures to the petrol i.e. 73bhp/101Nm, that too at far lesser engine revs making it a much better option for load lugging duties. Only Maruti knows why it thinks otherwise.
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 23:42   #169
BHPian

I see many positive feedbacks here lately, especially after pricing released. But i still think it would not sell like hot cakes. It's tall and narrow so i expect a lot of body roll. Indians don't care much about safety features in this segment, so it won't be an issue with eeco. But we care a lot about image of our car, and versa has image of a failed vehicle. Let's see if the killer pricing changes the eeco's fortune or it goes as another failure in the history books.
indianvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 02:43   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Guess they had to accommodate the Alto size dashboard without too much modifcation, also the alto headlamps
Another point to note is that they are offering the seven seater only as a standard model , the top variant as of now is the 5 seater AC model.
I mean what stopped them from making the damn thing wider ,put chunkier rubber , bolster it well on the inside , use better body styling than the flat van panels of versa , double AC ( maybe floor mounted if they were short on height ) and give a good seven seater MPV? And sell it for say 3.5 lacs with the petrol version and the MJD version for 4.5 lacs ?
i MEAN ARE THEY CREATING A UPGRADED VAN OR WHAT ?
It could well been a nice vehicle in a class of its own

To the aam admi, taxi driver and the middle class family in rural areas, they may not care much for a vehicle that has "chunkier rubber, bolstered well on the inside, better body styling than the flat van panels of versa or a double AC. To many of them, a Rs 2.5L bare-bones Eeco may be preferred to a spruced up Rs 3.5L Eeco. The frugal specifications may be to entice the Omni clientele. If the Eeco is given a face-lift and is priced between Rs 3.5L-Rs 4.5L it would enter into the Estillo/Wagon-R/A-Star/Ritz LXI camp, which seems already crowded at the moment.

Given the current Eeco pricing, my Alto LXI doesn't seem VFM any more. My LXI suddenly is more expensive, has nearly half the power, is shorter and smaller, and has 1/3 the luggage space. The only saving grace is that my LXI has power steering and is slightly better FE. Since I cannot afford to be a bigamist, I’m already contemplating divorce proceedings with my LXI, so that I can enter into wedlock with the Eeco.

For the many "petrolheads", like many on this forum, there is a huge choice of vehicles in the Rs 3.5-Rs 5.5L category. Thanks to the Nano, Eeco, Alto and other "small" cars to be offered by other manufacturers in the near future, the Rs 2L-Rs 3L bracket is opening up to us humble "non-petrolheads", who can barely manage to buy a car to take us from Point A to Point B, with the basic comfort and safety.

Regards,
Melvyn
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 05:09   #171
BHPian

yep, it's actualy a modified g-series fit in this EEco

Suzuki India plan to develope 2 car inhouse by 2012 and modified G series to pass new emission norms. | autoten.com
thainogkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 09:49   #172
BHPian

Hi Melvyn,
'Given the current Eeco pricing, my Alto LXI doesn't seem VFM any more'

To be honest maruti is stopped being value long back.
They charge premium over everything and unfortunately do not offer options.
For example most VXI models do not even offer defogger.
I personally hate to spend money on cars as in buying them ( such a depreciating thing..... ) and as such VFM is always a welcome proposition.
Having said that MUL continue to make cramped (inside ) cars , have no consideration for big guys.
This particular segment offers a great possibility for seating tall guys ( with back problems etc. ).
When you negate all that by giving lousy seats , narrow rubber, just check the door trims inside. s h o d d y... . Worse than the good old 800. Way too bad as compared to even the Nano.

http://marutisuzukieeco.in/images/fi...eat-family.jpg

when you see this you'll see why your Alto is such a wonderful value. such a nice looking, tight, reliable car.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 12:30   #173
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

One more usage that I am seeing for Eeco..
I guess it would easily become a common vehicle for the first-second year students at the college, as they need more space to cramp in as much friends as possible this would be a better choice than Alt. Even the parents wont feel that bad a pinch.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 12:57   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If that were indeed the case,they would not be the car maker most preferred in India.

Let's accept it - their products are the most reliable,spares are available without a problem and all their cars command a decent resale.

The only thing I don't like about Maruti is that their Offices never answer your phones
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 14:23   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Melvyn,
They charge premium over everything and unfortunately do not offer options.

Having said that MUL continue to make cramped (inside ) cars , have no consideration for big guys.

When you negate all that by giving lousy seats , narrow rubber, just check the door trims inside. s h o d d y... . Worse than the good old 800. Way too bad as compared to even the Nano.
I kinda disagree with your statements. Which Suzuki car would you say is overpriced, tell me which other car company could give you a car like Swift at that price, agreed that there are some niggles but every other car has that sort of problems and we tend to nitpick when it comes to Suzuki cars.

If by big guys you meant tall guys, they do have the WagonR,Ritz, Sx4 etc.

In the case of Eeco its a 7seater for the price of an Alto, it needn't be compared with a Xylo or an Innova.The Eeco need only be considered as an Omni replacement and it does show a great deal of improvement in comfort levels when compared to the Omni.Once the Omni gets phased out of the metros the Eeco will take its place.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 15:16   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
The Eeco need only be considered as an Omni replacement and it does show a great deal of improvement in comfort levels when compared to the Omni.Once the Omni gets phased out of the metros the Eeco will take its place.
I second that. Eeco is definately VFM. It provides the customer the basic need to commute with 5 and 7 seater options + little luxury of AC and better interiors than omni. At this price you don't have much options.

If people are looking for better interiors + better seats + better looks + more luxury than wait till Maruti R III concept is productionise. You will get all of these and you just have to pay for it.

At Eeco press conference Maruti people said they are targetting for 40K-50K number annually (3.5K-5K montly) . I believe which is doable - 2K-3K will be customers who will switch from Omni to Eeco and 2K will be new customers who want versa but didn't buy it because of resale + flop tag.
I don't think this is unrealistic.
erohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 15:41   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON
I completely agree!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Which Suzuki car would you say is overpriced
Well I would say following Maruti's are overpriced
Here are Ex-Show. Pune prices for reference.

A-Star starts @ Rs.3,49,293
Wagon R starts @ Rs.3,59,291
Zen Estilo starts @ Rs.3,44,104
Ritz starts @ Rs.3,94,999

I'm excluding Swift cause IMO it is a VFM car.

Alright now do you want to know why I feel above cars are overpriced?
Chevrolet Beat starts @ Rs.3,42,090

Note: Check out Chevrolet Beat before you comment. I had checked it out long back before even being reviewed by GTO sir.

Last edited by HammerHead : 9th January 2010 at 15:45.
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 16:01   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I completely agree!!

Note: Check out Chevrolet Beat before you comment. I had checked it out long back before even being reviewed by GTO sir.
I beg to differ.
Except for A-star, others are still VFM.
Price of beat is introductory and the boot of 170 ltr is major drawback at least to me. You save some 20-25 thousands and loose 50 ltr luggage space.

Regards
Sanjubaba
sanjubaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 16:26   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Well I would say following Maruti's are overpriced
Here are Ex-Show. Pune prices for reference.

A-Star starts @ Rs.3,49,293
Wagon R starts @ Rs.3,59,291
Zen Estilo starts @ Rs.3,44,104
Ritz starts @ Rs.3,94,999

I am with you on Astar,it is overpriced for what it has to offer. But the WagonR , Estilo are VFM cars when compared with the competition and both provide adequate interior space also. The Ritz is priced perfect when you consider that its direct competitor is the i10.

I have never seen a Chevy Beat in real life and from the reviews I can say that Chevy has got the pricing right. But when one considers buying a car lot of other factors do come in to play like servicing, spare parts cost, service accessibility,resale value etc. and in all these Suzuki does score more than the Chevy.

So this is the reason why Chevy have to undercut Hyundai and Suzuki in pricing. A cheaper car is never always VFM.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 17:48   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I completely agree!!

Is Chevy present in every city of India (whether big or small)? What about servicing in smaller cities?
Secondly Chevy has to pretty much do a Fiat these days (i.e. sell at lower prices than would like to!) Fall of the mighty GM has a lot of say in that. They have to build that credibility once again!
joslicx is online now   Reply With Quote