Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th January 2010, 18:10   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by erohit View Post
Eeco is definately VFM. It provides the customer the basic need to commute with 5 and 7 seater options + little luxury of AC and better interiors than omni. At this price you don't have much options.

At Eeco press conference Maruti people said they are targetting for 40K-50K number annually (3.5K-5K montly) . I believe which is doable - 2K-3K will be customers who will switch from Omni to Eeco and 2K will be new customers who want versa but didn't buy it because of resale + flop tag.
I don't think this is unrealistic.
Yes, I too agree with your views. The VFM Eeco is opening up a market hitherto monopolised by the Omni and to some extent, the Tata Magic (16 BHP, soft top, no AC, etc) and is offering a better package for almost the same price. The monthly 6,000-8,000 Omni customers now have a far better alternative for them to upgrade. No point in cribbing about the looks, quality of seats, size of tyres or the lack of other goodies when you're getting a spacious van for Rs 2.5-Rs 3 lakh. WYPISYG -- What you pay is what you get.

Attempting to compare the Eeco with other cars is, in my opinion, unfair and misleading. I would prefer comparing the Eeco to the other 'people-movers' like Omni, Tata Magic, Versa and the soon-to-be-available Tata Venture. If the Tata Venture is priced right, it could well provide perfect competition to the Eeco.

By the way, has GTO or anyone else carried out a road test of the Eeco? I would love to read about the all-round performance of the vehicle.

In my opinion, another VFM vehicle is the Tata Winger, a Rs 5 L vehicle that can transport up to 14 persons. Like the Eeco, the Winger offers the basic necessities to take you from point A to B.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 20:35   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Yes, I too agree with your views. The VFM Eeco is opening up a market hitherto monopolised by the Omni and to some extent, the Tata Magic (16 BHP, soft top, no AC, etc) and is offering a better package for almost the same price. The monthly 6,000-8,000 Omni customers now have a far better alternative for them to upgrade. No point in cribbing about the looks, quality of seats, size of tyres or the lack of other goodies when you're getting a spacious van for Rs 2.5-Rs 3 lakh. WYPISYG -- What you pay is what you get.

In my opinion, another VFM vehicle is the Tata Winger, a Rs 5 L vehicle that can transport up to 14 persons. Like the Eeco, the Winger offers the basic necessities to take you from point A to B.
Time will tell - but my gut feeling is that the Eeco is a winner - just imagine a guy who owns an Omni 5 seater is able to get 30 bhp more with more space,better safety,and an ac for just approx 50000 bucks extra - anybody will go for it.

The seven seater standard is also a perfect upgrade from the OmniE;and there will be enough guys who'll retreofit an ac(hitherto impossible in an Omni without compromise) and freak out
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 21:42   #183

Why does MUL want 16K for adding 2 seater seats?
The price difference between 5 seater standard and 7 seater standard is 16k!
Cant some one get the 2 seats from MUL and fit it!

Moreover i'm confused why for the same sized CAR there is no AC for 7 seater and AC for 5 seater, apart from the weight added by 2 people, what else is the difference?
Is that due to the load on the engine?

Even hatchbacks of almost same power weigh over 1000kgs, EECO weighs only 900 kgs!
sree_chandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 22:40   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
Everyone is talking about VFM for the Eeco. It will be interesting to know how Maruti is pricing the spares. If you have seen the prices of Versa spares, you'll know why I am saying this. And I'm sure Versa owners a praying that Eeco spares fit the Versa.

Incidentally, I find the Versa more cramped than the Omni. Strange I know.

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 22:48   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Everyone is talking about VFM for the Eeco. It will be interesting to know how Maruti is pricing the spares. If you have seen the prices of Versa spares, you'll know why I am saying this. And I'm sure Versa owners a praying that Eeco spares fit the Versa.

Incidentally, I find the Versa more cramped than the Omni. Strange I know.

Sutripta
Versa and Baleno spares are pricey because many are SGP.

Why SGP?because the offtake of vehicles was so low that only spares which could be locally manufactured saw a drop in prices eg.lower arm,pads,calipers,clutch cables,clutch n pressure plate,plugs,headlights,taillights,struts,shock absorbers,bearings,radiator

The one part which is pricey is the gear lever bush set - which does not need replacement in a long time.

All other fast moving spares are reasonably priced

But Eeco is adifferent story-it is a low end product and Maruti would have definitely done its homework to price spares low.
Old 9th January 2010, 22:56   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree_chandru View Post
Why does MUL want 16K for adding 2 seater seats?
The price difference between 5 seater standard and 7 seater standard is 16k!
Cant some one get the 2 seats from MUL and fit it!

Moreover i'm confused why for the same sized CAR there is no AC for 7 seater and AC for 5 seater, apart from the weight added by 2 people, what else is the difference?
Is that due to the load on the engine?

Even hatchbacks of almost same power weigh over 1000kgs, EECO weighs only 900 kgs!
Interesting observations. It sure is surprising that MUL is charging Rs 16K for the two seats.

How I wish the Eeco had a power steering option. I wouldn't have minded paying an extra Rs 20K for this feature. Is there any way to add PS to the Eeco 5-seater AC option?
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 23:15   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
To be honest maruti is stopped being value long back.
They charge premium over everything and unfortunately do not offer options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Well I would say following Maruti's are overpriced
Here are Ex-Show. Pune prices for reference.

A-Star starts @ Rs.3,49,293
Wagon R starts @ Rs.3,59,291
Zen Estilo starts @ Rs.3,44,104
Ritz starts @ Rs.3,94,999

Before these kind of these statements, you need to check the pricing of other car manufacturers like Hyundai and Honda in India.

What about the pricing of i10, i20, Getz, Jazz, Verna and City?

Except A-Star, all other cars from Maruti, especially Alto, Ritz, WagonR, Estilo, Swift, SX4, DZire and the new Eeco are much VFM than the competition.
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 05:30   #188
BHPian

New picture of Maruti Suzuki EEco With Eeco, Maruti seeks to fill Omni gap | SUZUKI FAN
thainogkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 05:41   #189
Senior - BHPian

It definitely is a very VFM vehicle. Someone interested in Omni/Basic Alto should go in for this vehicle.

But what about mileage? Please keep in mind that the target audience for such a vehicle will take even 1kmpl as significant. And also, public believes that bigger engine = lesser mileage.

What do you guys think on this?
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 08:47   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How I wish the Eeco had a power steering option. I wouldn't have minded paying an extra Rs 20K for this feature. Is there any way to add PS to the Eeco 5-seater AC option?
Did the Versa have power steering? if so, you can buy the parts from dealer and fit it.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 10:07   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting observations. It sure is surprising that MUL is charging Rs 16K for the two seats.

PS?Yes of course.

Option 1 - drive an old ST bus for one month and anyother steering will be PS

Option 2 - the steering column would need to be changed to the EPS type - Rs.25000-28000
Old 10th January 2010, 10:41   #192
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, got an SMS from Amar motors, Vadodara. This was for TD of EEco. Means EECo is now avaialable in the market. I asked for on road price of 5 seater AC version. The price was Rs. 3.44 lakh OTR. The cost of AC, PS Alto is Rs. 3.12 lakh OTR in Vadodara.

IMO that is pretty good. As compared to other cars, in this price range I think nothing can match this car as far as space goes. For Rs. 3.44 one gets AC 5 seater van with a lot of space for passengers as well as luggage. Nothing wrong and this time Maruti has got the things right when we consider it as a replacement of Omni. Low cost + space. Just what people want.

Its a G series engine and not K series. Confirmed this with the dealer.
The only thing missing is CNG. If they come up with CNG kit and price it around Rs. 3.9 OTR then nothing like that. There is already good space available in the car. So CNG cylinder will not kill the space in a big way like it does in case of small cars.

Good move by Maruti.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 11:00   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Means EECo is now avaialable in the market. I asked for on road price of 5 seater AC version. The price was Rs. 3.44 lakh OTR. The cost of AC, PS Alto is Rs. 3.12 lakh OTR in Vadodara.

IMO that is pretty good. As compared to other cars, in this price range I think nothing can match this car as far as space goes. For Rs. 3.44 one gets AC 5 seater van with a lot of space for passengers as well as luggage. Nothing wrong and this time Maruti has got the things right when we consider it as a replacement of Omni. Low cost + space. Just what people want.

Its a G series engine and not K series. Confirmed this with the dealer.
The only thing missing is CNG. If they come up with CNG kit and price it around Rs. 3.9 OTR then nothing like that. There is already good space available in the car. So CNG cylinder will not kill the space in a big way like it does in case of small cars.

Good move by Maruti.
Nice write up.

Could you check the car out?Does the engine still sit under the seat?

I would love to do a TD and post my review - I lay claim that I am one of the few who have understood the Versa in detail and so can make a super comparison.

The only thing that puts me off is the frequent calls the dealer would make post TD
Old 10th January 2010, 11:11   #194
BHPian

Checked for AC option in 7 seater. Not available for sure but an alternate way possible. The 5 seater can be modified by moving the second row as third row and putting extra 2 seats as second row. Everything else remains same. Verified with maruti dealer.

Not sure about the power steering option. But if one needs to fit it, will maruti have a support for it? Else one has to go to roadside person and get it fitted.

The seats look very basic (2nd and 3rd row), how nicely the shocks will be absorbed?

Improving an eeco with AC, PS and good seats could bring the price up by another 1 lakh or so, why not to go for an Estilo at a price of losing seating capacity of 2 people? Else Alto Lxi is ok.... less power though...
rajivtelang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 11:16   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Checked for AC option in 7 seater. Not available for sure but an alternate way possible. The 5 seater can be modified by moving the second row as third row and putting extra 2 seats as second row. Everything else remains same. Verified with maruti dealer.

Not sure about the power steering option. But if one needs to fit it, will maruti have a support for it? Else one has to go to roadside person and get it fitted.
As I said in one of my earlier posts,the ac can be retrofitetd for approx 38000 extra.

Maruti should definitely support a PS fitment;what is done in LXi or VXi cars which get flood affected?change the EPS steering column assembly charge for it

in teh Eeco,some wiring will be required to hook up the EPS to the ECM/Speedo