Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th January 2010, 11:25   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Improving an eeco with AC, PS and good seats could bring the price up by another 1 lakh or so, why not to go for an Estilo at a price of losing seating capacity of 2 people? Else Alto Lxi is ok.... less power though...
Please understand that the Eeco is meant to be an upgrade from the Omni. Maruti does not intend it to be a option against the WagonR/Estilo though that might have been the intention when it was originally launched as the Versa. It suits 2 categories of people.

1. Business / Taxi category
2. Large families who cannot afford an Innova.

This is what they are targeting. Maruti wants to keep the price a slow as possible which is why they went in for a downsized G series rather than the all new K series. You have lot of options both within and outside the Maruti range for the ubiqitous 5 seater hatch segemnt. Best bet for families would be to go in for the 5 seater A/C variant and and a middle row seat by pushing the current middle row to the back. Adding power steering unit from the Versa may be techinally feasible though you may have to forego the warranty.

Last edited by longhorn : 10th January 2010 at 11:26.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 15:00   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Best bet for families would be to go in for the 5 seater A/C variant and and a middle row seat by pushing the current middle row to the back. Adding power steering unit from the Versa may be techinally feasible though you may have to forego the warranty.
you're right

however,adding a third row means you need it to be endorsed in the rc and insurance.

also in Gujarat(am not sure of other States),there is this wierd rule that teh regn. of every car over 5 seats is valid only for one year ; a CPI is to be done every year and that costs approx Rs.300 plus agent's fees
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 15:17   #198
Senior - BHPian

My assumption: EEKO is named after Maruti Suzuki's marketing head Mayank ParEEK!!!
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 15:22   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
My assumption: EEKO is named after Maruti Suzuki's marketing head Mayank ParEEK!!!
Hey its not Eeko its Eeco
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 15:26   #200
Senior - BHPian

all said and done,the vehicle is a VFM package but the name is badly coined;no charm in it.

Look at SX4,Ritz,Estilo,Esteem,Swift

and look at this

here in Surat,everybody refers to the Versa as Varsha(my own Insurance Policy had this name)

and have a new name for the Laura !!!!!

Last edited by vigsom : 10th January 2010 at 15:30.
Old 10th January 2010, 15:57   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Versa and Baleno spares are pricey because many are SGP.

Why SGP?because the offtake of vehicles was so low that only spares which could be locally manufactured saw a drop in prices eg.lower arm,pads,calipers,clutch cables,clutch n pressure plate,plugs,headlights,taillights,struts,shock absorbers,bearings,radiator
All other fast moving spares are reasonably priced

But Eeco is adifferent story-it is a low end product and Maruti would have definitely done its homework to price spares low.
Well don't know about calipers, but KBX wheel cylinders and master cylinder are horribly priced.(and there are no repair kits for the KBX). And so too with lots of other items. Don't know if all of those were only SGP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Checked for AC option in 7 seater. Not available for sure but an alternate way possible. The 5 seater can be modified by moving the second row as third row and putting extra 2 seats as second row. Everything else remains same. Verified with maruti dealer.
If going by the example of the the Omni E, I'm sure there will be changes to the rear suspension and brakes.

There was some talk on the engine being transverse driving the front wheels, unlike the Versa. Any confirmation either way on that?

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 16:01   #202
Senior - BHPian

the "horribly priced" rear wheel brake cylinders are from NISSIN Japan - Rs.1845 per piece

KBX(now Robert Bosch Chassis Systems) is not at all expensive;the booster-master cylinder assembly is from KBX.
Old 11th January 2010, 09:40   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Before these kind of these statements, you need to check the pricing of other car manufacturers like Hyundai and Honda in India.

What about the pricing of i10, i20, Getz, Jazz, Verna and City?

Except A-Star, all other cars from Maruti, especially Alto, Ritz, WagonR, Estilo, Swift, SX4, DZire and the new Eeco are much VFM than the competition.
what about Indica Vista ,Manza, Chevy UVA , ford Ikon, Santro , Accent , I am not even mentioning the Indigo, Indica ?
Comparing spec to spec against suzuki models, i dont think Suzuki Is VFM . i MEAN VXI in swift & Dezire dont even have a demister. Am i wrong here ?
Lxi & LDI at the price for swift ought to have atleast front power windows IMO.
Even the Estilo which they were literally dumping , after the facelift is 4 lac plus OTR.
THATS BLOODY STEEP !
Maruti had an edge in after sales spare parts cost. But i guess with swift and the new generation CARS that too is more or less neutrlized.
EVERY CAR MANUFACTURER TODAY IS LOCALIZING.
I personally think the type 2 zen (old) was the last truely value car they had and one of the best ever.
Rest is like the rest of them.
And as my friend QUERIED here somewhere that ' if they werent value / why would they sell in numbers?'
----- EVEN SHAHRUKH SELLS .DOES HE NOT ?
having said all that THE CAR IN QUESTION 'EEKO' does seem VFM.
BUT S W I F T is not.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 10:23   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Nice write up.

Could you check the car out?Does the engine still sit under the seat?

I would love to do a TD and post my review - I lay claim that I am one of the few who have understood the Versa in detail and so can make a super comparison.

The only thing that puts me off is the frequent calls the dealer would make post TD
Sorry, never went in for the TD. Our plans to buy a car are once again postponed till March. Things will be clear after the budget. But will have a look into it later for sure.

Yes, this time, the salesperson even came to our house for Alto and Ritz for which I had earlier inquired. This is something I really dont like. They were even ready to visit my father's plant ( IPCL ) for evaluting our M800 ( done more than 1 lakh kms. ). I had clearly informed them that whenever we want to evaluate, we will bring in the car. I had also requested them not to call or visit our home for selling car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
what about Indica Vista ,Manza, Chevy UVA , ford Ikon, Santro , Accent , I am not even mentioning the Indigo, Indica ?
Comparing spec to spec against suzuki models, i dont think Suzuki Is VFM . i MEAN VXI in swift & Dezire dont even have a demister. Am i wrong here ?
Lxi & LDI at the price for swift ought to have atleast front power windows IMO.
Even the Estilo which they were literally dumping , after the facelift is 4 lac plus OTR.
THATS BLOODY STEEP !
Maruti had an edge in after sales spare parts cost. But i guess with swift and the new generation CARS that too is more or less neutrlized.
EVERY CAR MANUFACTURER TODAY IS LOCALIZING.
I personally think the type 2 zen (old) was the last truely value car they had and one of the best ever.
Rest is like the rest of them.
And as my friend QUERIED here somewhere that ' if they werent value / why would they sell in numbers?'
----- EVEN SHAHRUKH SELLS .DOES HE NOT ?
having said all that THE CAR IN QUESTION 'EEKO' does seem VFM.
BUT S W I F T is not.
Estilo power plant is better than than many others. Beat's 1.2 is not as good as Ritz. Hyundai, Tata, Fiat, Skoda, VW all have small capacity engines that fall behind Suzuki.
Realiability is another factor that Suzuki has. No visits to dealer except service.
Swift is not VFM ? Then what it. Swift with G13 motor can still put many so called premium midsizers to shame. A great highway performer. Yes, engine can be heard, but that is sound not noise. This Swift is faster than many large saloons.

In diesel format, Suzuki cars have the best NVH.
It depends upon viewpoints after all.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 10:34   #205
BHPian

Guys.

I think Maruti Suzuki is advertising their intent on retaining their market share of 50%+ in the onslaught of competition with this pricing. The Versa was a reasonably modern car (by Maruti standards). If they can price it between 2.6L and 2.8L, then it just demonstrates the depth of their margins.

If I was a betting person, I would bet that the minute Beat/Figo/HondaSmall/Etios report decent sales numbers, Maruti will drastically slash Swift/Ritz/WagonR prices and position them lower than these. I have not mentioned Polo because I dont think the Polo can compete in price with the above. The might have a loss leader at 4.49 or 4.99 but most of their range with be within kissing distance of the Fabia.
Asifgrkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 10:44   #206
Senior - BHPian

The main reason the the could price the Eeco at this range is due to the tax benefits associated with the 1.2 L engine. Moreover the vehicle has been stripped bare now. No aircon/power steering on the base variant. Power steering is not available even as an option on the A/C model. It is aimed to be an omni replacement, nothing more.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 11:20   #207
Senior - BHPian

For the price to cubic centimeters of space inside, nothing comes close. At least the versa interiors were much better, this just has cheap vinyl and cardboard inside it.

But, the downsized G-series engine is amazing.Its under the seat, so a bit noisy. Low and mid range is strong, gearshift is amazing and the manual steering is as light as an alto without PS. You will definitely not miss having a PS.

The front is pretty comfy, rear not so. Ride is improved with tubeless, handling could be tighter (turned left at 60 and the vehicle's high centre of gravity almost scared the hell out of that sales lady), but feels secure.

In 5 seater, boot space is huge. 5 people and their full load of luggage can fit easily.

For an omni replacement, it makes it worth a look.

Last edited by sidindica : 11th January 2010 at 11:24.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 11:50   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
It depends upon viewpoints after all.
Sure !
For some it is speed , for some its the ride quality , for some its interior space and seat ergonomy ,some its fuel economy and low spares cost & reliability , some looks and some even for HERD MENTALITY.
In any case i wonder why suzuki doesnt do so well in other developing and developed countries.
Speaking for myself i would get to buy a VISTA QJD AQUA with some creature comforts ( hvac,power windows , demister , central lock, lumbar support front , better interior space , far superior ride, lower spares cost , less 'RADICAL LOOKS ' against the swift LXI which is barebone for its price. Thats value proposition as far as i am concerned. And still its probly a few thousands cheaper on the road. I aint into speeding so i do not need to pay a premium for a small car which can outrun bigger saloons on road.
In anycase its just my perspective.
I feel Hyundai too offers better quality for your penny than Suzuki.
They lose out on fuel effeciency but i feel they age far better than the tinnier jap machines and hold together better. So in the sense they too are not bad value as they are as reliable as the suzuki ones atleast.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 11th January 2010 at 11:52.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 12:00   #209
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy Why 7 seater is without A/C?

I don't understand why MSIL has launched the 7 seater without A/c? Is engine not capable of handling the load of both 7 passengers & A/C?
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 13:47   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Sure !
1) For some it is speed , for some its the ride quality , for some its interior space and seat ergonomy ,some its fuel economy and low spares cost & reliability , some looks and some even for HERD MENTALITY.
In any case i wonder why suzuki doesnt do so well in other developing and developed countries.

2) Speaking for myself i would get to buy a VISTA QJD AQUA with some creature comforts ( hvac,power windows , demister , central lock, lumbar support front , better interior space , far superior ride, lower spares cost , less 'RADICAL LOOKS ' against the swift LXI which is barebone for its price. Thats value proposition as far as i am concerned. And still its probly a few thousands cheaper on the road.

3) I aint into speeding so i do not need to pay a premium for a small car which can outrun bigger saloons on road.
In anycase its just my perspective.

4) I feel Hyundai too offers better quality for your penny than Suzuki.
They lose out on fuel effeciency but i feel they age far better than the tinnier jap machines and hold together better. So in the sense they too are not bad value as they are as reliable as the suzuki ones atleast.
1) Thanks a lot for very very polite words.
Mitsubishi is also not doing well in many markets, so its products are bad ? IMO, Cedia even today rides and handles better than the latest Civic and Altis. Nissan used to make 4 million vehicles when it landed in trouble. Fiat was once in trouble ( Panda saved it ), so does it mean Fiat made bad products ?
Sales generally are not good indicators of good or bad product. Example are a lot.

2) I would rate reliability of Swift higher than Vista. Next, NVH is better in Swift. Swift's rides is not as good as Vista but handling is much better. Swift's ride and handling is one the best points at that price point. Swift combines many positive factors.

3) Its not matter of speeding, its matter of what engine performance is offered for given money.

4) I dont agree with that. Suzuki makes tin boxes is what all say, but Swift, Ritz and A-star are much better than said competition. i10 has quality plastic interior, but its chassis cannot hold candle to either of three cars when it comes to dynamic abilities.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote