Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th January 2010, 13:51   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I don't understand why MSIL has launched the 7 seater without A/c? Is engine not capable of handling the load of both 7 passengers & A/C?
not that it is not capable - but will struggle to pull.

After all,it will be seven fat adults plus ac PLUS a whole lot of luggage
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:27   #212
BHPian

Is Maruti Suzuki is thinking to phase out the Maruti Omni as the price of Eeco is almost same ??
The brand new Omni costs you 2.55L & Eeco will be costing 2.6L.
Any specific reasons if they are phasing out Omni ??
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:29   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1)
... but Swift, Ritz and A-star are much better than said competition. i10 has quality plastic interior, but its chassis cannot hold candle to either of three cars when it comes to dynamic abilities.
+1 to that. The i10 is all show and no go. The 1.1 irde is a pain to drive with frequent gear shifts needed to keep it in the power band especially with the aircon running, forget its dynamic abilities. I wonder whether all that torque is only on paper. And then comes the K series from the Ritz. This baby has got such a beautiful torque curve, its a gem to drive both in the city as well as the highway. I am yet to come across such a stonking small capacity motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighNoon;
I feel Hyundai too offers better quality for your penny than Suzuki.
They lose out on fuel effeciency but i feel they age far better than the tinnier jap machines and hold together better. So in the sense they too are not bad value as they are as reliable as the suzuki ones atleast.
Man are you kidding or what? You mean to say that Hyundais are as reliable as Suzukis. Have you heard of well maintained Accent CRDI's requiring engine overhaul at 60k kms. Your plain jane Maruti 800 can do 3 lakh kms without touching the engine if maintained well.

Last edited by longhorn : 11th January 2010 at 14:36.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:29   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
I feel Hyundai too offers better quality for your penny than Suzuki.
They lose out on fuel effeciency but i feel they age far better than the tinnier jap machines and hold together better. So in the sense they too are not bad value as they are as reliable as the suzuki ones atleast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
what about Indica Vista ,Manza, Chevy UVA , ford Ikon, Santro , Accent , I am not even mentioning the Indigo, Indica ?
I agree that Tata cars VFM. But not Hyundai. If Accent, Santro, Getz and Verna were VFM, why they lost to competition? Accent lost to DZire, Verna lost to City and SX4, Getz lost to Swift, and Santro lost to Wagon-R. And all with a big margin. That means, common man who look for good mileage,low maintenance cost and good reliability, doesn't find VFM in those cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
i10 has quality plastic interior, but its chassis cannot hold candle to either of three cars when it comes to dynamic abilities.
Exactly my opinion.

i10 has good interiors (but I don't like the beige), but not a good handler. It sells well because for someone who looks for a car other than Maruti (for a change from Maruti tag, or with a rebellion's attitude against Maruti), doesn't see a better option than i10, even in the Hyundai stable.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 11th January 2010 at 14:49.
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:32   #215
BANNED

I think the new replacement for the Indian market for Maruti Omni, will be Tata Venture if priced correctly, i am sure that will sell much better than Eeco, maruti might get a huge drop in their overall sales once Venture is launched by Tata. That vehicle looks way better and fresh in terms of looks etc, and if i am not wrong it has a diesel engine too, whereas this Eco is nothing but almost same as a Versa which aas we all know wasnt a sales hit.
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:46   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
I think the new replacement for the Indian market for Maruti Omni, will be Tata Venture if priced correctly, i am sure that will sell much better than Eeco, maruti might get a huge drop in their overall sales once Venture is launched by Tata.
The venture is a bigger vehicle with a diesel engine and will most likely be priced above 3.5lacs, so it ain't a competition for the Omni or the Eeco. There is a high chance of Omni being phased out of the metros once the BSIV norms kick in and Eeco will take its place.

I think MSIL didn't include A/C in the 7seater because it might reduce the mileage as the load will be higher and they don't want the Eeco to be tagged a fuel thirsty car. But they could have very well included PS atleast in the top variant.

Last edited by harishnair : 11th January 2010 at 14:49.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 16:09   #217
JLS
BHPian

Hi All,
I think, Eeco will be popular amongst school van operators. They will fit additional seats and will fill in atleast 12-15 school children.
With regards,
JLS
JLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 18:56   #218
BHPian

[quote=longhorn;

Man are you kidding or what? [/quote]

well Not really !
I own a 8 yr. old Accent GLS. Still as tight as a vice.
Hardly any rattles & shakes. Neat and clean interiors, looks as good as new , still never been interior washed even once.
60k on the odo , runs like a dream on lpg.
BTW I have driven a 1 lac + old crdi , both elantra & accent. The motors felt as good as new.
IMO the hyundai puts better quality parts than suzuki.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 19:20   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Have you heard of well maintained Accent CRDI's requiring engine overhaul at 60k kms.
Dont go on hearsay. I sold my Accent CRDi after 70000 kms. Even after 5 years, the engine could still give a new MJD a run for its money...

Most CRDi's that required overhaul were either not maintained properly (oil changes etc) or abused badly.

IMO, a 4 yr old hyundai will usually have less creaks and rattles as compared to 4 year old maruti.

P.s. I have nothing against maruti, my first car was an 800, and then a zen.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 21:04   #220
Senior - BHPian

this is turning out to be a For vs Against Hyundai battle.

Each of us has some experiences which lead us to patronising a brand;let's not try to say that Maruti is no VFM and the likes - it is not for nothing that Maruti is where it is - at the top.Let's accept that.

The thread is on Eeco;right?let's discuss that on a positive note rather than call it names like Eeko and what not.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 21:13   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
this is turning out to be a For vs Against Hyundai battle.
The thread is on Eeco;right?let's discuss that on a positive note rather than call it names like Eeko and what not.

Hyundai has no product that competes with the Eeco and until they come up with one let's give it a break.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 21:31   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I completely agree!!
I had checked it out long back before even being reviewed by GTO sir.
This is news Hammer head! When did GTO get knighted?
josepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 22:01   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
the "horribly priced" rear wheel brake cylinders are from NISSIN Japan - Rs.1845 per piece

KBX(now Robert Bosch Chassis Systems) is not at all expensive;the booster-master cylinder assembly is from KBX.
Hi,
1845 for a wheel cylinder is horribly priced. Will not comment further on the prices till I can (and feel like) checking them out. However, the wheel cylinders which came off were KBX. And all that those required was a bucket change. I don't know what ultimately went in, KBX or otherwise.

Spare pricing is a corporate decision, and correlation to cost of manufacture and delivery sometimes very poor. This seems to be just one of the many flaws in Maruti's product strategy for the Versa.

On the face of it, the Versa should not have bombed, big B or no big B. The concept is still valid, the market slot still open: a city based people mover. However, it seemed to be "owned" by a committee, which went about ticking boxes without understanding anything. eg. the most unVERSAtile (read brain dead) seating arrangement, the lack of dual AC for 5 seaters, the high roof which made garaging a problem, ....

I sincerely hope Maruti has given it to a proper product manager this time. However, I feel it has set its sights this time on the urban taxi market.

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 10:24   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Dont go on hearsay. I sold my Accent CRDi after 70000 kms. Even after 5 years, the engine could still give a new MJD a run for its money...
I didn't say that all Accent CRDI's conk off at 60k but there are ones that do inspite of being maintained well. There's a thread on that on this very forum. You can check that out. I'm yet to come across such a horror story from Maruti. I agree that the build quality of Hyundai is better than Maruti but as far as reliability goes, I think Maruti is ahead. I'd rather have a car that rattles than one that gives engine trouble at 60k. Sorry to go off topic!

Last edited by longhorn : 12th January 2010 at 10:31.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 11:19   #225
BHPian

Was thinking of it to be a kind of family van just like Nano to be family Car.
Sadly, the 7 seater doesn't come with an AC and also couldn't find any space for luggage in the rear, looking at the pictures.
Also the rear seat is dangerously close to the backend, just in case it gets rearended.
rkguru is offline   Reply With Quote