Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th January 2010, 19:30   #226
BHPian

EECO is not something that I thought MRIL could come up with. After Swift, SX4, Ritz why have they come up with such an ugly looking good for nothing steel box in wheels. Even the A-star was a better effort.
wrongturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 20:37   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
...but there are ones that do inspite of being maintained well. There's a thread on that on this very forum.
Kindly link to said thread ..
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 21:48   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
EECO is not something that I thought MRIL could come up with...why have they come up with such an ugly looking good for nothing steel box in wheels.
wrong turn, buddy! Kindly realise that vehicles which are being denounced as "ugly looking", "good for nothing" and "steel box in wheels" have been faithfully serving a lot of satisfied people for a lot of time. The value of a vehicle lies in whether it serves the purpose for which it was bought in the first place.

To me, the Eeco is certainly acceptable in looks (heck, I'm buying a van, not a ferrari), excellent for its intended purpose (space) and if it offers me relative safety, I'm more than happy to be inside this VFM "steel box in wheels".

Regards,
Melvyn
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 21:55   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
wrong turn, buddy! Kindly realise that vehicles which are being denounced as "ugly looking", "good for nothing" and "steel box in wheels" have been faithfully serving a lot of satisfied people for a lot of time. The value of a vehicle lies in whether it serves the purpose for which it was bought in the first place.

Regards,
Melvyn
I am sure everyone appreciates that some vehicles will still sell - but I have seen the Eeco on the road and I had the same question that wrongturn brought up - why attach a Versa front to an Omni body and call it Eeco?
ananth_iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 21:59   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post

To me, the Eeco is certainly acceptable in looks (heck, I'm buying a van, not a ferrari), excellent for its intended purpose (space) and if it offers me relative safety, I'm more than happy to be inside this VFM "steel box in wheels".

Regards,
Melvyn

Mat be I will agree with you Melvyn but there was a reason why Versa was a complete flop even though it was from the Maruti Stable. Priced at 2.6L would benefit it but the sole reason why I hate it is that Maruti could have done a little better then redoing a Versa which in my opinion was a let down just because of the way it looked.
No doubt that Eeco would sell but it wont be liked.

Regards
Abhishek Raj
wrongturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 22:31   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
No doubt that Eeco would sell but it wont be liked.
If I happened to be a manufacturer in a country like India, I would prefer to have cars that are sold and not liked, rather than have cars that are liked and not sold.

I would have the same feeling as a buyer. Many people like myself would prefer buying a popular car rather than a "wow" car, simply because of the easier and cheaper availability of spares/maintenance and the possibility of better resale value. This could be one of the reasons why people are drawn towards Maruti cars.

For that matter, many of the "wow" cars (like the punto, for example) did not translate into "wow" sales. Many reasons are being attributed for this, but the plain fact is that the Punto sales did not match up to the expectations.

Coming back to the Eeco, there are few "vans" (Omni and to some extent, the Tata Magic) available in India at this point in time. And if MUL can keep costs down by "borrowing" designs of its earlier product, I see nothing wrong in that. In fact, I would prefer to buy a low-cost-old-design car rather than a high-cost-new-design car.

And by the way, how many vans, or even cars for that matter, can you buy in India for around Rs 2.6L that offers you a 1.2 litre engine with 73 BHP, a massive 540-litre boot space and a decent 15.1 kmpl?

I would rather appreciate a car for what it is and not for what I want it to be.

Regards,
Melvyn

Last edited by misquitas : 12th January 2010 at 22:41.
Old 12th January 2010, 23:36   #232
BHPian

To add to my earlier post, the Eeco, besides being a carrier for students, families, workers, etc, offers other options/possibilities as well. If you consider removing the middle seat, you could well end up with a whopping 1000-litre or more boot space, sufficient enough to transport various types of goods or even modified to be used as an ambulance, hearse van, cold storage van, meal-on-wheels van, mini-caravan, etc. It may even be possible to carry a motorcycle/scooter in it. All this and much more for about Rs 2.6 lakh. What say?

Melvyn

Last edited by misquitas : 12th January 2010 at 23:48.
Old 12th January 2010, 23:51   #233
BHPian

This vehicle might bring Maruti sales volumes, primarily the taxi segment. However I feel with this launch Maruti is screwing their market perception. All the hardwork of improving it over the last 3 years with better vehicles like the Swift, SX4, Ritz and A star all gone down the drain.

The door trims and the pads match the amby's and padmini's of the 90's. You can make a cheap vehicle without making it look cheap.

I am waiting for a test drive of this vehicle, but having said this am very sure this is going to improve numbers for Maruti.

Lets wait and watch.

Am not sure if I missed any one clarifying the power steering part
haithereitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 00:47   #234
Senior - BHPian

Default Perspective

I don't like this car. However, if you leave personal tastes aside, it is pretty obvious that this car will be a lot safer and better than the Omni for not that much more money.
There in lies the value proposition and the reason why it's a good move.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 07:50   #235
Senior - BHPian

That can be a cheaper cargo mover when compared omini it can also accomodate more goods.

2.6 lacks is a good pricing too
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 15:57   #237
BANNED

I am sure Maruti will lauch its CNG and LPG and Cargo Versions very soon. But i stil think power steering shoudl be offered atleast in pax variants.
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 20:20   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkguru View Post
Was thinking of it to be a kind of family van just like Nano to be family Car.
Sadly, the 7 seater doesn't come with an AC and also couldn't find any space for luggage in the rear, looking at the pictures.
Also the rear seat is dangerously close to the backend, just in case it gets rearended.
If you observe carefully,the Scorpio and Xylo seats are more dangeroussssssly close to the back end.Eeco is much better off
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 21:22   #239
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the Eeco 5 seater ac at Kataria Automobiles.There was a red five seater ac on display and a grey 5 seater one on demo.

A lot of guys were checking it out and when I went there and said I am a Versa expert,they stopped speaking to the salesman and started asking me everything.

My observations and comparison's with its older bro Versa:
  1. Engine is a 1200cc version of the G Series - continues to be under the seat
  2. the layout in the engine bay and the bonnet area is pretty much the same like the Versa's;the fuel vapour filter looks different.
  3. The front seats with integrated headrests looks good - I liked the quality of the art leather and its beige-dark grey combo looked pleasing
  4. the mid seat is sans headrests - but has decent seating comfort.The seat cannot be higher because the roof is now lower than the Versa's
  5. the battery is a 38B20L like the Wagon-R and is a lower spec than the Versa's
  6. For the first time this sees Apollo Amazer 155/80R13LT tubeless.Versas had the tubed version from Bridgestone
  7. the side panels are like the Omni's - simple phuttaaas.
  8. the aprons(housing teh front struts) do not have a PP cover like Versa - the paint is seen and looks bad
  9. Roof lining fabric looks good
  10. the dash is beige grey combo - a copy of my own design which I incorporated in my Versa in 2007.
  11. The tacho is gone;the fuel gauge is digital
  12. No power steering-same old Versa steering wheel
  13. The lights are clearlens type - the quality of light is a lot better than the oldie
  14. OTR Surat 5 seater std Rs.3.03lacs,7 seater std Rs.3.2 lacs,5 seater ac Rs.3.35lacs - great VFM
  15. IMHO the car can be dressed up very well for approx 5-7k and is an excellent package for this money.
PS:I wanted to check if the air filter is Suzuki's or the Wagon-R types,but that would have meant being thrown out of the showroom

After all this,I slipped out quitely lest I be asked to fill up a Query form and be subjected to calls,calls and more calls.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 21:53   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
My observations and comparison's with its older bro Versa:
  1. Engine is a 1200cc version of the G Series - continues to be under the seat
  2. the layout in the engine bay and the bonnet area is pretty much the same like the Versa's;the fuel vapour filter looks different.
  3. The front seats with integrated headrests looks good - I liked the quality of the art leather and its beige-dark grey combo looked pleasing
  4. the mid seat is sans headrests - but has decent seating comfort.The seat cannot be higher because the roof is now lower than the Versa's
  5. the battery is a 38B20L like the Wagon-R and is a lower spec than the Versa's
  6. For the first time this sees Apollo Amazer 155/80R13LT tubeless.Versas had the tubed version from Bridgestone
  7. the side panels are like the Omni's - simple phuttaaas.
  8. the aprons(housing teh front struts) do not have a PP cover like Versa - the paint is seen and looks bad
  9. Roof lining fabric looks good
  10. the dash is beige grey combo - a copy of my own design which I incorporated in my Versa in 2007.
  11. The tacho is gone;the fuel gauge is digital
  12. No power steering-same old Versa steering wheel
  13. The lights are clearlens type - the quality of light is a lot better than the oldie
  14. OTR Surat 5 seater std Rs.3.03lacs,7 seater std Rs.3.2 lacs,5 seater ac Rs.3.35lacs - great VFM
  15. IMHO the car can be dressed up very well for approx 5-7k and is an excellent package for this money.
Interesting, very interesting. Did you by any chance get to or intend to do a test drive of the Eeco? If you did, please send us your on-road experience of the Eeco in comparison to the Versa.

Also, if the engine layout of the Eeco and Versa were similar and given similar specifications of the two vans, were you able to confirm if the two vehicles would use common spares?

By the way, has the lower height of the Eeco improved its road stability? I recall that many Versa owners had earlier voiced concern about the heavy rolling of the Versa.

Why isn't anyone doing a comprehensive road test of the Eeco on this forum? Demo cars are already being sighted at various MUL showrooms. Hey GTO/Sidindica, have mercy on us Eeco-hopefuls.

Melvyn

Last edited by misquitas : 14th January 2010 at 21:57.