Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2010, 16:13   #286
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,772
Thanked: 273 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Is the Diagonal Shift Assistance (DSA) really useful ? I'm not having any problems for shifting into 5th gear even in cars without Diagonal Shift Assistance (DSA) !
Mithun,

Am curious about this too. Can someone who has taken a test drive shed some light on it? Also aren't all the forward gears synchromesh, which makes shifting easier, so how is this little DSA technology going to help?

Please share some inputs.

Regards,
gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 16:54   #287
Senior - BHPian
 
longhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 290 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Mithun,

Am curious about this too. Can someone who has taken a test drive shed some light on it? Also aren't all the forward gears synchromesh, which makes shifting easier, so how is this little DSA technology going to help?

Please share some inputs.

Regards,
gpa
I believe its got something to do with centering of the gear shift stick. Like it moves to the centre postion (in neutral gear) when you shift it from say 2nd to Neutral and then to 3rd making it easier to up/down shift in a diagonal pattern.

Last edited by longhorn : 20th January 2010 at 16:59.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 18:58   #288
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 144
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Plain Jane and spartan that it is - the Eeco is a coup for Maruti at this price point. Close to if not as comfortable as a small hatchback in this general price range, like the Alto/ Spark / Wagon R, it offers a lot of seating space and load carrying versatility (from where the Versa name was coined) at a market beating price.

The cheaper utilitarian Tata Magic Iris might be better looking but with its tiny engine and window panes not even offered it is targetted at replacing the autos and not really the Maruti Van.
The only other competition at a stretch is the Tata Venture, which is a bit bigger, more expensive and much better looking. But with Tata's poor reputation in quality surveys and after sales - I would anyday choose the reliable Maruti at this price point for a people mover due to sheer practicality and peace of mind.

It's almost inevitable that this will be another very success bread and butter model for Maruti - Perhaps they could upgrade the looks and mechanicals later on in another higher end 'sporty' van say like the Suzuki APV. Nicer looks and better interiors would have been nice but that would perhaps mean a 3.5 to 6 Lakhs price range.

This is clearly a low risk, high return business decision on Maruti's part. I can already see her bean counters ringing. There is such a large market for high passenger capacity single car families in our country

Hats off to Maruti - All the best with the Eeco! Must add that a tasy nose job, nifty interiors, mechanicals, tyres etc. later on would however be most welcome thanks!
R.K.Ramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 00:19   #289
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 294
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

Planning for a TD soon. I think the interior looks and usability of eeco as a big family car can be improved by buying a 7 seater and modifying the second row seats like 7 seater xylo or innova. Of course an AC is necessary to be added. Having a passway to third row in betwwen two seats of second row would be very useful. Putting two separate seats as second row will make life a little better for occupants. Perhaps the seating arrangement would look as

1-2
3-4
567

from

1-2
-34
567

I have couple of questions. Firstly what would be the price increase for adding an AC and separate seats for second row? And secondly would these changes in seats positon and adding AC need any changes to insurance and endorsement in RC book?

Last edited by rajivtelang : 21st January 2010 at 00:21.
rajivtelang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 09:04   #290
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,273
Thanked: 493 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Planning for a TD soon. I think the interior looks and usability of eeco as a big family car can be improved by buying a 7 seater and modifying the second row seats like 7 seater xylo or innova. Of course an AC is necessary to be added. Having a passway to third row in betwwen two seats of second row would be very useful. Putting two separate seats as second row will make life a little better for occupants. Perhaps the seating arrangement would look as

1-2
3-4
567

from

1-2
-34
567

I have couple of questions. Firstly what would be the price increase for adding an AC and separate seats for second row? And secondly would these changes in seats positon and adding AC need any changes to insurance and endorsement in RC book?
I think the solution to the probem is, to buy a 5 seater, you'll get the AC, then drill holes in the back, move the rear seat as far back as you want (I don't want to move it fully back because of need for some luggage space) and then get yourself 2 aftermarket front seats to replace in the place where the rear seats where

And voila, you have your dream fulfilled.
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 12:20   #291
BHPian
 
Dieselone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 60
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I have driven the old Versa and find the car good to drive in city traffic. The only drawback in the new Eeco is the lack of power steering, is it possible to get a PS fixed as a after market fitment. If yes, is it reliable and what could be the cost?
Dieselone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 13:27   #292
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 294
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I think the solution to the probem is, to buy a 5 seater, you'll get the AC, then drill holes in the back, move the rear seat as far back as you want (I don't want to move it fully back because of need for some luggage space) and then get yourself 2 aftermarket front seats to replace in the place where the rear seats where

And voila, you have your dream fulfilled.
Won't it affect the insurance? Also what about the RC book entry? Does that also need changes for extra two seats?
rajivtelang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 13:36   #293
BHPian
 
rpmx1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I believe its got something to do with centering of the gear shift stick. Like it moves to the centre postion (in neutral gear) when you shift it from say 2nd to Neutral and then to 3rd making it easier to up/down shift in a diagonal pattern.
You said it Mr. Longhorn. It's good but the 1-2 gearshift was'nt on the TD car I drove. See page 19 of this thread.
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 20:01   #294
BHPian
 
harshavardhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 101
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Hi,
Checked out the eeco at RNS Motors, Hosur Road today. The rear seats are a joke on a four wheeler costing 3.6 lacs OTR. It is slightly better than the TVS autorickshaw seat. It would have been great if the passenger seat had adjustment facility and the rear seat moved back by two-three inches and offer omni style seats. Otherwise VFM product from MSIL.
harshavardhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 20:44   #295
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshavardhan View Post
Hi,
Checked out the eeco at RNS Motors, Hosur Road today. The rear seats are a joke on a four wheeler costing 3.6 lacs OTR. It is slightly better than the TVS autorickshaw seat. It would have been great if the passenger seat had adjustment facility and the rear seat moved back by two-three inches and offer omni style seats. Otherwise VFM product from MSIL.
Hi Harsha

How easy is it to get into the 3rd row seat? Is it front or side facing?

Looks like they have really cheapened the Versa to bring the price down.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 14:09   #296
BHPian
 
rpmx1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Not that I've seen it (no 7-seater when I went to see it), but the earlier posts on this thread seem to have a front facing arrangment and it's like 2+2+3=7.The seats in general are quite pathetic - The omni scores over this definitely. You just can't put a better engine and expect people to sit on the floor and travel , if you get what I mean.
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 23:42   #297
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,309
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Hi Harsha

How easy is it to get into the 3rd row seat? Is it front or side facing?

Looks like they have really cheapened the Versa to bring the price down.
pictorial representation. Source - Eeco Website

Name:  5seatfamily.jpg
Views: 2131
Size:  73.5 KB

Name:  7seat.jpg
Views: 5747
Size:  78.0 KB
svsantosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 01:01   #298
Senior - BHPian
 
recshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mangalore / Bangalore
Posts: 1,056
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

there is no head rest for the second row! oh come on MSIL, please don't cut down on small simple features which makes life easy!

looking at picture itself i am feeling that seats are slightly better than wooden benches
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 01:33   #299
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC/MAA
Posts: 1,333
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

This car is awful, built to a price and the interior reminds me of the old Standard20 school vans. I had to look at a calendar on the wall to remind myself we were in the 21st century.
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 08:04   #300
Senior - BHPian
 
xingamazon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,399
Thanked: 110 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

IMHO, had Maruti introduced this product before getting the Omni and Versa by now it would have garnered the attention like that of Nano. IMO its a VFM car as much as Nano.
Only thing is as people have seen Omni and Versa before, its difficult not to relate the product to its predecessors.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scoop Pics! Maruti Alto 800 Facelift caught. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.49 lakhs volkman10 The Indian Car Scene 52 9th June 2016 10:41
M&M launches improved Maxximo VX minivan to rival Omni, Eeco DukeNukem Commercial Vehicles 12 30th January 2014 15:22
Maruti to launch CNG SX4, Alto, Estilo, Wagon-R and Eeco? EDIT : Launched romeomidhun The Indian Car Scene 47 17th December 2010 00:09
F1 minivan from Renault zenx The International Automotive Scene 5 6th June 2006 12:04
New Ferrari V12 Kompressor Minivan Spotted SPEED_DEMON82 The International Automotive Scene 6 7th June 2005 01:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:43.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks