Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th January 2010, 09:53   #301
BHPian

But I'm sure that the ride quality will be better than that of the Omni due to it having a better suspension system. The Eeco will win hands down if we compare safety features with the Omni but what about the rest ? Can anyone here who have driven both give us a comparison of the two ?
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 17:55   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
there is no head rest for the second row! oh come on MSIL, please don't cut down on small simple features which makes life easy!

looking at picture itself i am feeling that seats are slightly better than wooden benches
Omission of headrests is a very bad move,but the seats are decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
This car is awful, built to a price and the interior reminds me of the old Standard20 school vans. I had to look at a calendar on the wall to remind myself we were in the 21st century.
The Eeco is being offered at a killer price - what they're giving is a steal - and definitely way better than the Std 20 vans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
But I'm sure that the ride quality will be better than that of the Omni due to it having a better suspension system. The Eeco will win hands down if we compare safety features with the Omni but what about the rest ? Can anyone here who have driven both give us a comparison of the two ?
Both are equally bad when unladen;the Eeco is ok when laden,but nowhere near say a Wagon-R
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 07:17   #303
Senior - BHPian

A body / bumper kit would make the Eeco look really good, in my opinion. I do not know if the ground clearance is sufficient for this, though. Would this be too pricey?

Yesterday I saw a Zen Estilo (all yellow) with a body bumper kit and I thought it looked really good.
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 14:20   #304
BHPian

I had reviewed the Eeco for my show loast week, and found it to be a pretty decent car. Here are a few pointers.
  1. Comfortable seats, despite headrest deletion.
  2. Abundant space, except in the 7 Seat Version. Third row seats really not recommended for long journeys.
  3. Speaking of the third row seats, one would notice that the 7 seat Eeco has minimal boot space. What I felt is Maruti could as well push the third row seat backwards, to make passengers more comfortable.
  4. Power is a welcome change from the Omni. 73 bhp mill also gives around 14.5 kml in B'lore, with the a/c on.
  5. Safer than the Omni, thanks to the crumple zones in the front. Better drive too, cause of revised suspension.
  6. Performs quite well, but as it is obvious, hard cornering not recommended.
Overall a good proposition, for an OTR price of 3.10 lakhs on the road in Bangalore. Just don't expect too many comforts, for it is a basic people carrier.
JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 21:17   #305
BHPian

Finally got a chance for TD at Pratham Motors, Outer Ring road. It was a 5 seater eeco with gray color. Found following points worth writing

1. Suspension is OK, not bad at all. I took the car at 50KMPH on the service road of outer ring road. There are plenty of rough patches and the vehicle did fine.
2. Steering wheel is surprisingly light. I have Santro xing with PS and found this wheel a little heavier than santro. But the difference is negligible. Tried turning the vehicle at standstill and it was turning alright, not much effort like older cars w/o PS.
3. The sitting positions are ofcourse high and I found it to be a bit troublesome for elder people to get in-out of the car.
4. As written by many guys the seats are not good but not bad also. I enquired about the replacement of middle row of 7-seater with two better seats and answer is pending from the dealer.
5. AC is quite good. One extra point is it is possible to get an AC in 7-seater but as a custom change. It might cost as high as 50K and of course it can be insured separately.
6. Gearshift is good due to DS mechanism but I found it to be bit hard compared to santro and bit longer. Also there was a noticable noise underneith the chassis on gearshifts, not sure about it.
7. Interiors are OK, last seats (7-seater) are not having any good legroom, perhaps they can be shifted futher back while modifying the middle row and make it a good overall vehicle. Floormats are cheap but anyways good rubber mats can be used there. Place for music system etc. is there.

Overall I do not own a high class vehicle but a Santro Xing. If I simply compare eeco with Santro, I would say the overall eeco quality is one star below santro. But for a person like me, a vehicle at a price of around 4 lacks on road with 7-seats and an AC, it should be just fine. I might wait for another year to see if MSIL launches a version with PS+AC and 7-seater and buy it.

Amazingly the demand for this car is awesome. The dealer person told me that first lot of eeco is already sold out and now the waiting time is 1 month. Definitely MSIL is on right track to achieve 40K/year sales.
rajivtelang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 16:33   #306
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for posting,Rajiv.

My views as a Versa longtimer are alongside your points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Finally got a chance for TD at Pratham Motors, Outer Ring road. It was a 5 seater eeco with gray color. Found following points worth writing

1. Suspension is OK, not bad at all. I took the car at 50KMPH on the service road of outer ring road. There are plenty of rough patches and the vehicle did fine.-

very goodrevelation;probably the tubeless tyres are doing the trick.Perhaps the suspension has been made softer on the 5 seater

2. Steering wheel is surprisingly light. I have Santro xing with PS and found this wheel a little heavier than santro. But the difference is negligible. Tried turning the vehicle at standstill and it was turning alright, not much effort like older cars w/o PS.

The steering wheel is light - I TD a Versa Std six years ago-found it ok.The steering looks good to hold if a good cover is put on.

3. The sitting positions are ofcourse high and I found it to be a bit troublesome for elder people to get in-out of the car.
4. As written by many guys the seats are not good but not bad also. I enquired about the replacement of middle row of 7-seater with two better seats and answer is pending from the dealer - once it is out of warranty,all this can be done

5. AC is quite good. One extra point is it is possible to get an AC in 7-seater but as a custom change. It might cost as high as 50K and of course it can be insured separately.

50k is steep;as far as I know,it is 38k

6. Gearshift is good due to DS mechanism but I found it to be bit hard compared to santro and bit longer. Also there was a noticable noise underneith the chassis on gearshifts, not sure about it.

the gears are clunky but slot well

7. Interiors are OK, last seats (7-seater) are not having any good legroom, perhaps they can be shifted futher back while modifying the middle row and make it a good overall vehicle. Floormats are cheap but anyways good rubber mats can be used there. Place for music system etc. is there.

this car also has a provision for 5.25" or 6.5" speakers on the last side panels - they are the best;and I discovered this very recently in my car

Overall I do not own a high class vehicle but a Santro Xing. If I simply compare eeco with Santro, I would say the overall eeco quality is one star below santro. But for a person like me, a vehicle at a price of around 4 lacks on road with 7-seats and an AC, it should be just fine. I might wait for another year to see if MSIL launches a version with PS+AC and 7-seater and buy it.

Amazingly the demand for this car is awesome. The dealer person told me that first lot of eeco is already sold out and now the waiting time is 1 month. Definitely MSIL is on right track to achieve 40K/year sales.

nice to hear that;so I can hold on to the Versa in the hope of getting reasonably priced spares
great observations Rajiv.Thanks once again
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 22:44   #307
BHPian

Spotted this Demo Car (Bimal) at Sadashivanagar !
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti Eeco minivan (EDIT: now launched for 2.6 Lakhs)-image009.jpg  

kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 02:33   #308
Senior - BHPian

A news of Deccan Chronicle says that there is a heavy booking for EEco and the waiting period seems to be 2 months. Some one can throw some more light on it. I was called by my Sales executive of previous car to come for a test drive. No time to go. Soon I will make it.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 10:06   #309
Senior - BHPian

It is not a great car, but better option than the OMNI. Very aggressive pricing 5000 per month sale for sure!
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 13:02   #310
BHPian

While I didn't take it for a test drive, I took a peek at the Eeco last week. On first aquaintance, it feels more solid than the tinny Maruti van with doors and hatch that open and close with some relative reassurance.

The seats are bare bone but will suffice for the city - certainly will need some after market upgrading. The interiors are more spacious a tad wider it seems and dont feel so low rent like the Omni.

The seat height is high and shorter and older people will need a bit of effort to climb into the vehicle. Another odd thing which I didnt understand why is that the boot floor is at a higher level than the passenger floor - there is a step up behind the second row of seats. This second row could be moved further back in the 5 seater version as there is an ackward gap between the seat base and the stepped up rear floor.

All in all fantastic value for the price...
R.K.Ramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 13:03   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
A news of Deccan Chronicle says that there is a heavy booking for EEco and the waiting period seems to be 2 months. Some one can throw some more light on it. I was called by my Sales executive of previous car to come for a test drive. No time to go. Soon I will make it.
Your information is correct. The waiting period could be 2 months now. Looking at the crowd at dealer for eeco, this statement is quite correct. Unbelievably there were 3 eeco deliveries on the evening I took the TD.
rajivtelang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 13:27   #312
BHPian

5000 per month.That nice warm feeling of being a prophet even if for a sales figure...See the TD/review in the TD thread (was on this, page 19 but moved there by the mods)
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 14:14   #313
BHPian

Omni sells something like 7-8K per month, Eeco being omni replacement, 5000 is not something great.

--Sanjubaba
sanjubaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 14:30   #314
BHPian

Whatevery guys, but I saw 4-5 new EECO everyday on road. Seems like its true whatever being offered by MS and competitive price its a hit.
sam003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 14:40   #315
Senior - BHPian

The Eeco is sure to become a success story, not just because its made by Maruti, but because it represents a real VFM package.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote