Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th February 2010, 15:03   #316
Senior - BHPian

Is it the demand or manufacturing constraints on Maruti's front, that is creating waiting. when enquired there is 2 months waiting here as well as at some other dealerships in the region.How can there be a 2 months waiting across...
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 15:11   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Is it the demand or manufacturing constraints on Maruti's front, that is creating waiting. when enquired there is 2 months waiting here as well as at some other dealerships in the region.How can there be a 2 months waiting across...
AFAIK, the booking is done online and goes to a centralised database at MSIL. Hence they are able to know the region specific demand in real time and allot vehicles to dealers accordingly. This could be the reason for uniform waiting period across regions. I would be unhappy if this were not the case and people booking after me are able to jump the queue. Of course this was possible earlier when vehicles were sent to dealers based on dealer feedback and not based on actual customer bookings.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 11:40   #318
Senior - BHPian

saw a 5 seater Eeco AC grey at Prabhadevi on 10th when I was riding in a cab in slow moving traffic;the owner was well perched and had a lot of stuff in the boot;smiled at him and gave him a thumbs up and he was grinning all the way.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 11:00   #319
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If the Eeco goes on to become a sales success, it just shows the effect of branding and marketing. As a product, the Eeco is basically a refreshed Versa. Main difference is the scaled down engine (is that a good thing?) and some interior bits.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 11:01   #320
Senior - BHPian

Good that the eeco is on a wait. I think that omni will be phased out in 13 cities from april 1,2010.

OT: The car is actually more stable than the versa due to its lower roofline. Yesterday evening someone at my colony had called for a TD vehicle from competent and I again thrashed it at tight corners when I got a chance, took a sharp turn at 60 and she held on gamely.The salesperson sitting beside me was almost paralyzed but he grinned and he felt that he would make its stability a new selling point.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 21:12   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
OT: The car is actually more stable than the versa due to its lower roofline. Yesterday evening someone at my colony had called for a TD vehicle from competent and I again thrashed it at tight corners when I got a chance, took a sharp turn at 60 and she held on gamely.The salesperson sitting beside me was almost paralyzed but he grinned and he felt that he would make its stability a new selling point.
The next time you decide to go on a test drive, I'm sure salesperson will with equipped with a helmet, an armour and maybe, a first aid kit!

By the way, sidindica, why did you (or GTO) not undertake a comprehensive road test of the Eeco? I was sincerely hoping that you would do so.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 21:26   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
The next time you decide to go on a test drive, I'm sure salesperson will with equipped with a helmet, an armour and maybe, a first aid kit!

By the way, sidindica, why did you (or GTO) not undertake a comprehensive road test of the Eeco? I was sincerely hoping that you would do so.
There are reviews available on tbhp. Musicmanaman and myself had written two mini reviews. If you would like to read, here is the link. It was originally on this thread but moved to the Review section.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...est-drive.html (Maruti Eeco: Quick Test Drive)
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 20:38   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
There are reviews available on tbhp. Musicmanaman and myself had written two mini reviews. If you would like to read, here is the link. It was originally on this thread but moved to the Review section.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...est-drive.html (Maruti Eeco: Quick Test Drive)

True, but a "mini" review is not the same as a comprehensive review, where every feature is photographed, scrutinized and compared with other cars. Check out the Ford Figo review and you'll know what I mean.

Regards,
Melvyn
Old 17th February 2010, 21:13   #324
BHPian

Quote:
True, but a "mini" review is not the same as a comprehensive review, where every feature is photographed, scrutinized and compared with other cars. Check out the Ford Figo review and you'll know what I mean.

Regards,
Melvyn
Except the pics, I think it was a great review. It covered almost all points I cared for. Review styles differ individually so its unfair to use the same yardstick for every review. I, for one, appreciate effort that went in the review, good job!
SunilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 16:41   #325
BHPian

I came to know from a reliable source that the waiting period of the eeco is not because of over booking. It is because MUL has found some issues with the vehicle and are working on it. The waiting period might go upto five months.
tharakan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 18:42   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharakan9 View Post
I came to know from a reliable source that the waiting period of the eeco is not because of over booking. It is because MUL has found some issues with the vehicle and are working on it. The waiting period might go upto five months.
If what you say is true, then are the Eeco cars currently being sold with the problems or are they being rectified before they are sold to customers? If the problems still persist, then Maruti may be forced to recall the Eeco cars and the negative publicity could seriously damage the reputation of the Eeco. I do hope they rectify the problem before selling the car as I would want the car to do really well. I already have my eyes on that VFM (yes, with a capital V-F-M).

Regards,
Melvyn
Old 1st March 2010, 19:50   #327
BHPian

While on the eeco, I happened to notice in snaps that the third row seat is slightly different to the second row seat. The third row seat does not have "legs" (like the second row seat) and simply rests on the floor of the car. Can someone please tell me why this is so? Why has the 'floor' of the car gone up in the rear section of the car? Is it because of the spare wheel? I recall that the Omni did not have this feature. In fact, the 'floor' of the Omni was even right from the driver's section to the read end section.

Melvyn
Old 1st March 2010, 20:00   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the third row seat is slightly different to the second row seat. The third row seat does not have "legs" (like the second row seat) and simply rests on the floor of the car. Can someone please tell me why this is so? Why has the 'floor' of the car gone up in the rear section of the car? Is it because of the spare wheel? I recall that the Omni did not have this feature. In fact, the 'floor' of the Omni was even right from the driver's section to the read end section.

Melvyn
Yes,it is because the spare wheel,which is mounted under the floor pan at the rear - like the Scorpio/Innova
Old 1st March 2010, 20:25   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Yes,it is because the spare wheel,which is mounted under the floor pan at the rear - like the Scorpio/Innova
Instead of putting the spare tye under the floor pan, Maruti could simply have put the tyre inside the rear section, like how they do in the Wagon R Duo. In that case, they would have...

1. Saved the need to change the floor in the rear (this may even have cut down the cost still further) and they could have had a uniform floor level throughout the car.

2. Added even more luggage space to the already massive 540-ltr space.

A uniform floor section would have benefited those planning to use the ecco for cargo purposes.

Incidentally, I happened to find a post on another website and the writer had some interesting (and critical) comments on the Eeco. Can someone throw more light on these observations, especially since they are highly critical of the car and I would sincerely appreciate some clarification on this. The comments are reproduced as follows:

* The Eeco's heavier steering than a sumo which weighs double this. No crumple zones provided inspite of mention in catalogue, keep searching you will crumple yourself. Very thin side impact beams welded to the frame of door only for name sake donot expect any high safety like indica or santro.

* DSA is a big culprit shift is very hard so is the clutch.

* If you thought engine located at front nose you are wrong its under driver seat and heat gives way into cabin and a/c suffers by atleast 20 percent.

* Engine gearbox casing is aluminium but located at vulnerable spot underneath just bend and see the location , one small run over the road divider will blast the crank case and gear box housing forever.

* Rear luggage place is higher than rear seat platform ,if you areplanning to remove rear seat and make room for long items better be careful it is at two different floor heights. (This point was mentioned by me earlier - Melvyn)

* Rear most windows at sides have fixed glas there by increasing heat in case of a/c not on. Ac has vintage sliding controls first seen on maruthi 1000 in 1990's also the steering wheel belongs to vintage.

* Also test drive the vehicle at night you will be in for a shock very bad focus and brightness of H.Lamps.

* Fuel gauge and tripmeter is done away with a cheaplooking low quality digital odometer cum fuel gauge anyone can fiddle with to manipulate reading intervals of run in KMS.

* All seats are fitted with cheapest awailable foam its like Hindustan trekker seat if one remembers including the bottom frame quality of rear seats.

* 6th row plat form is not integral ,beware its welded to monocoque decreasing rigidity of joints. So is their stategy to make and sell as there is no competition for this and demand is more so sell crap and make moneis a age old suzuki strategy.

(SOURCE: Maruti Eeco: The new multipurpose car in India)

By the way, I have achieved a little milestone on this forum. This is my 100th post. As of now, I'm only 20,451 posts behind the great GTO!!!

Last edited by misquitas : 1st March 2010 at 20:28.
Old 1st March 2010, 20:52   #330
Senior - BHPian

My observations in line.

I am saying all this since I own a Versa;and have researched and used this car well enough to say with conviction

Quote:
Instead of putting the spare tye under the floor pan, Maruti could simply have put the tyre inside the rear section, like how they do in the Wagon R Duo. In that case, they would have...

1. Saved the need to change the floor in the rear (this may even have cut down the cost still further) and they could have had a uniform floor level throughout the car - the body shell of the Eeco is the same as the Versa, save the shortened roof.The Versa had the same design;just carried over to the Eeco.

2. Added even more luggage space to the already massive 540-ltr space - the luggage space is already massive - see it to believe it.

A uniform floor section would have benefited those planning to use the ecco for cargo purposes - please remember that the same body shell serves the 5 and 7 seaters

Incidentally, I happened to find a post on another website and the writer had some interesting (and critical) comments on the Eeco. Can someone throw more light on these observations, especially since they are highly critical of the car and I would sincerely appreciate some clarification on this. The comments are reproduced as follows:

* The Eeco's heavier steering than a sumo which weighs double this. No crumple zones provided inspite of mention in catalogue, keep searching you will crumple yourself. Very thin side impact beams welded to the frame of door only for name sake donot expect any high safety like indica or santro -
compare a non-PS R&P steering to a Sumo's non-PS R&P steering and see for yourself which steers better.
the front is a crumple zone - and an effective one
yes,the side impact beams may not be as strong as an Indica's

* DSA is a big culprit shift is very hard so is the clutch -
the clutch is harder than cars but not that bad;
gear shift is not in the league of Swifts and SX4s but way way better than Alto and Indicas and Indigos

* If you thought engine located at front nose you are wrong its under driver seat and heat gives way into cabin and a/c suffers by atleast 20 percent -

nonsense; if that were the case,I would have either had baked bottoms by now OR I should have run low FE figures. Beat it if you can,but I have got 17kmpl in Versa on Highways with AC and 13-13.5kmpl in city.Check the underseat cover and you'll find it adequately insulated.

* Engine gearbox casing is aluminium but located at vulnerable spot underneath just bend and see the location , one small run over the road divider will blast the crank case and gear box housing forever - cars are meant to be run on roads and not into dividers.Show me one car which doesn't suffer such damage if run over a divider

* Rear luggage place is higher than rear seat platform ,if you areplanning to remove rear seat and make room for long items better be careful it is at two different floor heights. (This point was mentioned by me earlier - Melvyn) - one can easily live with this.

* Rear most windows at sides have fixed glas there by increasing heat in case of a/c not on. Ac has vintage sliding controls first seen on maruthi 1000 in 1990's also the steering wheel belongs to vintage -

so what? as long as the ac performs, it is fine.This car has been positioned as alogical upgrade rom Omni so one must expect it to just be functional

If one doesn't like the steering wheel ,change to a Estilo wheel for approx 1500 rupees.

* Also test drive the vehicle at night you will be in for a shock very bad focus and brightness of H.Lamps - this is a pain area. But believe me,very few people run on stock 60/55W.

* Fuel gauge and tripmeter is done away with a cheaplooking low quality digital odometer cum fuel gauge anyone can fiddle with to manipulate reading intervals of run in KMS - again a negative thought.

* All seats are fitted with cheapest awailable foam its like Hindustan trekker seat if one remembers including the bottom frame quality of rear seats -

that is not true - the foam is decent and so is the upholstery

* 6th row plat form is not integral ,beware its welded to monocoque decreasing rigidity of joints. So is their stategy to make and sell as there is no competition for this and demand is more so sell crap and make moneis a age old suzuki strategy.

6th row???? is this a bus or the Eeco we are talking about?

(SOURCE: Maruti Eeco: The new multipurpose car in India)

By the way, I have achieved a little milestone on this forum. This is my 100th post. As of now, I'm only 20,451 posts behind the great GTO!!!