Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st January 2010, 18:42   #106
BHPian

Since Maruti was working on it for such a long time, even I, like most others, hoped to see a new design even though i dint expect it to look very different from a versa. But just new headlamps! that was quite a shocker. But what calmed the nut in me were the facts like
> It has the engine out front. not under the drivers seat like a versa. apart from saving costs due to lesser insulating material required,im hoping it will also improve the nvh levels in the cabin.
>Its the engine that powers the rits that does duty here, may i remind you that this engine is considered to be the best among the recent crop of 1.2s
> The roof has been lowered.(the high dome is absent in the pics.) So technically we cant say that no sheet-metal changes hav been made. :P
> The price is really killer. so expect a lot more changes (like integrated or eliminated head restraints )
>So just to satiate the average car enthusiast (like u n me),so that it stays in our radars, maruti shud come up with a top of the line Eeco (SDX? ZXI?) with alloy wheels, raci-er graphics, better interiors, airbags n ABS. And please please please put some paint on those sorry looking bumpers.

Will i buy it? naa. Im only 19, workin my butt off so i can buy that Cayman S in Speed Yellow like Dante! will i recommend it to someone else? Maybe, probably
shimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 18:44   #107
SBR
BHPian

This is a good replacement for Versa. At 3.5-4.0 lacs price point, it will be a excellent upgrade particularly for middle class families who use Omni now for both family and business purpose.

Safer compared to an Omni.
SBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 18:48   #108
BHPian

Suzuki might not have considered the diesel option because they will have to pay the licensing fee to Fiat for using the MJD and this would take the price above the 4lakh region.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 11:29   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Suzuki might not have considered the diesel option because they will have to pay the licensing fee to Fiat for using the MJD and this would take the price above the 4lakh region.
IIRC, Suzuki paid money to Fiat for obtaining license to manufacture the diesel. So Suzuki can put that engine in any car they want. Be it Ritz or Swift or Wagon R or Alto.
Currently Suzuki is facing production constraints for the diesel unit and its plant is running at full capacity. This is the reason why they are not coming up with Eco Diesel. They simply dont have capacity to meet even the current demand. So how can they come up with diesel Eco.

The deal between Suzuki and Fiat was for 1.3,1.6 and 1.9 units. Fiat is delaying tech transfer to Suzuki.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 17:27   #110
BHPian

Thumbs down i hope this is not the one !

The MPV shown in the bsmotoring site looks stylish. the one below is so damn dated looks even plainer than the versa. What more can anyone say.
Its S A D really.
I would've bought this one without a second thought...

Buy New Maruti Eeco | New Maruti Eeco Prices | Reviews | Features | Photos | BS Motoring
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 17:29   #111
BHPian

This one doesnt even look better than the TATA WINGER
Old 3rd January 2010, 20:50   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
IIRC, Suzuki paid money to Fiat for obtaining license to manufacture the diesel. So Suzuki can put that engine in any car they want. Be it Ritz or Swift or Wagon R or Alto.
Currently Suzuki is facing production constraints for the diesel unit and its plant is running at full capacity. This is the reason why they are not coming up with Eco Diesel. They simply dont have capacity to meet even the current demand. So how can they come up with diesel Eco.

The deal between Suzuki and Fiat was for 1.3,1.6 and 1.9 units. Fiat is delaying tech transfer to Suzuki.
In that case they seem to be plonking the MJD in vehicles where they can extract the greatest margin. While using the MJD will surely help this model to get good response, they may not be able to charge a premium in the commercial segment.
pacman2881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:18   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.chandru View Post
Maruthi Should have named it as " NEW VERSA " , so the customer expectations are kept low.
I think they have had enough of the renaming saga. The name "Zen Estilo" killed the sales. Now, there are people who bought the Versa and lived happily with it. I see a few regularly at the market. It is the same one every second day.
Expectations rise with names, don't they.
Saw the BS motoring link. It is the APV. What was wrong with that name? Eek-OH!

Last edited by Cartman : 3rd January 2010 at 21:21.
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:20   #114
BHPian

Is it FWD for sure??? Then may be, we can expect to see a diesel variant someday. IMHO, it is still a RWD that's the only reason their is no smell of diesel with EEKO.
sumitkalindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:49   #115

Wink

Guys,

Answer to our question..

"Why no MJD?" is in this link (technically).

Maruti Suzuki Eeco (facelifted Versa) Pictures and specifications | Indian Car and Bike Blog

(Commercially)Since MUL did not redesign the versa or omni fully they never seemed to have an idea of allocating space for a diesel engine.

The pictures gives a feeling like the Versa's Front portion added to Omni, in other words, to bring Aircon into Omni.

This vehicle could be a super hit if the dealers are going to give good amount of discount (road tax / registration/ insurance)and push it for approx 3.5L to 3.6L.

Still we don't know if the rear seat passengers would get aircon vents, we need to wait and see!

As someone mentioned, this should have been done at least 4 years back to catch hold of the MUV market.

15.6 kmpl is a pretty generous mileage for a people carrier. When it moves on LPG/CNG it would be still very economic.

MUL already has the technology on WagonR Duo and 800Duo and Omni Duo, they should not take much time to get this vehicle moving in LPG.
sree_chandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:00   #116
BHPian

Quote:
It will start from just under Rs 4lakhs and come with the K-series engine found in the Ritz that produces 73bhp@6000rpm and 101Nm of torque at 3000rpm. ARAI certifies it at 15.6Km/litre which is not bad at all for a people carrying petrol van.
Some extract from the site. A KB 12 plonked in a Eeco? Err..I'm not sure.

I'm still confused over the looks of the vehicle. It looks similar to the Versa. The APV looks totally different.

Last edited by Cartman : 3rd January 2010 at 23:02.
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 10:01   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree_chandru View Post
Guys,

Answer to our question..

"Why no MJD?" is in this link (technically).

Maruti Suzuki Eeco (facelifted Versa) Pictures and specifications | Indian Car and Bike Blog

(Commercially)Since MUL did not redesign the versa or omni fully they never seemed to have an idea of allocating space for a diesel engine.
So that closes the window for diesel altogether even at a later stage. The fact that Maruti did not invest on a re-design to fit the diesel motor shows that Maruti is happy doing what it is good at- making cars and they do not want to push into the commercial segment- something a company like Tata would love to do.
pacman2881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 11:48   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Some extract from the site. A KB 12 plonked in a Eeco? Err..I'm not sure.

I'm still confused over the looks of the vehicle. It looks similar to the Versa. The APV looks totally different.
The APV does look different and quite stylish by suzuki standards ( if i may say so ). Minor modifications in the versa makes no sense whatever the price or segment.
The APV model priced at around 4 ( for the LXI petrol & to 5.25 ( for the LDI MJD) would kill XYLO / GRANDE and may even hurt the the taveras & innovas and most selling hatchbacks.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:51   #119
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
IMO putting a MJD in this vehicle will sky rocket the price of the vehicle (reports indicate that EECO will be launched at a price of 3.5-4 lacs)
Simple : Offer both and let the customer choose. Utility vehicle buyers prefer a diesel for inherent torque / cost benefits.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 02:50   #120
BANNED

Had heard of that MUL will be relaunching VERSA, but never with a Alto's Face. Looks sick from the front. Premier Rio will do better i guess. Just opinion MUL fans
Sujith1100 is offline   Reply With Quote