Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 30th December 2009, 04:01   #76
BHPian

i think unrealistic expectations will only lead to disappointment. I find the car pretty ordinary, just another hatch in the market, only with a weaker engine.

Its just one more choice in a pretty crowded and competitive field, which explains why vw will have to price well if they want volumes, or they can do a fabia and make a few buyers who thrive on exclusivity for its own sake feel happy.
Old 30th December 2009, 09:11   #77
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
i think unrealistic expectations will only lead to disappointment. I find the car pretty ordinary, just another hatch in the market, only with a weaker engine.

Its just one more choice in a pretty crowded and competitive field, which explains why vw will have to price well if they want volumes, or they can do a fabia and make a few buyers who thrive on exclusivity for its own sake feel happy.
+1 on that. Its just another hatch. Just because VW sels well in Europe does not mean that whatever it offers will be an excellent product. VW in Europe is just like Maruti in India. People buy this car because it is cheap.In most cases its a first car for people who aquire their DL and for college students. Most sought after second car in Europe will be either a BMW/Merc/Audi. If VW products were extra-ordinary wouldn't Jetta and Passat have done well?
Old 30th December 2009, 10:14   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is the same 'so called' HTP 1.2 petrol engine offered in the Fabia. (high torque petrol) Someone do the honors please?

This then is essentially a Fabia 1.2 HTP in new clothes.

Scary it is then! And add to that the wide 15 inch tyres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
They should have launched 1.2 TSI, and increase the price by a lakh will be killer car.
Comeon, 105bhp, the turbo one. Will make it too complex for our mechanics to work or troubleshoot. People cant even fix issues with our National Engine !

Well, we can dream and they can bring it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Not sure if at 69hp, this is going to be underpowered. The weight isnt mentioned but my Getz prime GVS tops 1000kgs , gives 66hp & 104nm@3200rpm (approx) and is definitely under powered. 1st gear only with A/C on while exiting my office basement parking ramp!

But the feature list even at 5.25lacs is just too good (to believe?). If junta can buy an under powered getz, this one is a sure winner at the price mentioned!
Gearing will make a big difference.
And also the weight.

Example? Punto vs Swift.
Old 30th December 2009, 10:20   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
+1 on that. Its just another hatch. Just because VW sels well in Europe does not mean that whatever it offers will be an excellent product. VW in Europe is just like Maruti in India. People buy this car because it is cheap.In most cases its a first car for people who aquire their DL and for college students. Most sought after second car in Europe will be either a BMW/Merc/Audi. If VW products were extra-ordinary wouldn't Jetta and Passat have done well?
Very well said. Same was my experience in South Africa where Polo is largest selling european hatch mainly for its pricing, multiple variants and resale value. Auto enthusiasts generally go for Golf if they wanna buy VW hatch.
Had a chance to drive (the 2007 model) it but i didnt find anything remarkable that will differentaiate it from other hatches (gearbox was pretty, infact of hatches which i drove, the most exciting was nissan tida. Hence i guess we should wait for nissan micra which i am sure will give tough fight to polo.
Old 30th December 2009, 10:20   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is the same 'so called' HTP 1.2 petrol engine offered in the Fabia. (high torque petrol) Someone do the honors please?

This then is essentially a Fabia 1.2 HTP in new clothes.
It is very much the same engine. VW claim that the gearing has been made shorter to suit indian traffic.

After this the i20 1.2L 80PS Kappa engine will feel amazingly powered.
Old 30th December 2009, 10:43   #81
BHPian

Quote:
The Fiesta 1.4 TDCi has an output of 68bhp and comparitively heavy kerb weight.
Even i feel my ikon TDCI is underpowered .Forget the fiesta.But being diesel it has good LET and FE .Since polo is petrol i feel with 69 hp ,FE will be low .might need frequent gear shifts .Donno.
Old 30th December 2009, 10:53   #82
Senior - BHPian

I think at 69 BHP, this will be a tad underpowered.

German cars are known to have good build so the power to weight ratio will suffer.
Price seems a little high considering 40% localisation.
Old 30th December 2009, 10:54   #83
BHPian

The polo specs may not differ much with the Fabia Petrol. If VW would have differenciated there product with the 1.2 tsi engine and would have charged with the premium of around 50k, they would have still managed to sell in reasonable nos.
But still lets wait for the official TD review for this car which iam sure would be very high in the "fit and finish" department.
Also iam lookingfor a comparison between all the petrol hatches soon..
Old 30th December 2009, 11:52   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Even i feel my ikon TDCI is underpowered .Forget the fiesta.But being diesel it has good LET and FE .Since polo is petrol i feel with 69 hp ,FE will be low .might need frequent gear shifts .Donno.
Ikon TDCI has power to weight ratio, which is very close to Swift DDIS. I dont think it can be called underpowered by any means. Add to it the price is same as Swift VDI.
Old 30th December 2009, 19:48   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
With this pricing aren't they effectively killing the Fabia? Who will buy the Fabia if this variant is priced like this?
In any case Fabia was "murdered" by the Skoda after sales guy

Hope and trust that Volkswagen does not follow the trends set by its illustrious cousin.
Old 5th January 2010, 14:44   #86
BHPian

Default Polo India Website Page

Polo India website page up:
New Polo
Old 5th January 2010, 14:55   #87
Senior - BHPian

The New Polo is available in the following variants: Trendline, Comfortline & Highline .
The range starts with a 1.2 litre petrol unit which develops 75 PS and there'll be the 1.6 litre petrol engine which develops 105 PS which will surely delight everyone! The 1.2 litre diesel variant of the New Polo will soon be available in India.

I thought Sid told us there'll be only one variant and one engine!

Last edited by theragingbull : 5th January 2010 at 14:58.
Old 5th January 2010, 14:59   #88
BHPian

3 cylinder - 1.2 lt diesel will be the trump card to VW. Looking at the specification, it does 0-100 KMPH in 14.4 Sec which is not bad either.
Old 5th January 2010, 15:00   #89
BHPian

Maybe initially it will be 1.2L petrol/diesel and later on 1.6 will come.
Old 5th January 2010, 15:16   #90
Senior - BHPian

I think some goodies like Climate control and steering mounted audio controls are missing. Was looking in Polo brochure and did not find any info. on these 2 features.

Last edited by HammerHead : 5th January 2010 at 15:21.
Closed Thread