Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 25th April 2012, 21:46   #181

Default Spotted a Chevrolet testing in Mumbai

Hey everyone,

Spotted this on the eastern express highway near sion. Seeing it from the behind, I first thought it was a Maruti but confirmed that it's a Chevy after noticing the logo and the grille design on the front. Followed it for a while, the driver was cutting through the afternoon traffic. Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures, taken from a mobile phone while driving. Tried to take as many shots as I could.
Which car could this be?
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-picture-0012.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-picture-0022.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-picture-0032.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-picture-0042.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-picture-0052.jpg  

Old 25th April 2012, 22:44   #182
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Spotted a Chevrolet testing in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsun Soni View Post
Hey everyone,
Which car could this be?
Looks like the erstwhile Chevy Cobalt from the rear. Thankfully it is not that, instead it is the Chevrolet Sail?
Old 26th April 2012, 22:11   #183
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Default re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail sedan caught testing. *Clear PICS on Page 9, 11 & 18*

Spotted this Sail sedan at Bandra.

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-sail1.jpg

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-sail22.jpg
Old 6th May 2012, 17:51   #184
BHPian

Default re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail sedan caught testing. *Clear PICS on Page 9, 11 & 18*

Saw this similarly camouflaged car tailing a Chevy Cruz yesterday in Bangalore, near HSR layout. i think I pissed him off by clicking , however I'm having trouble resizing these pics now.
Old 11th May 2012, 09:51   #185
BHPian

Spotted this last Saturday on the outskirts of Pune.

Had to check with GTO for the model

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-14042012001.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-14042012004.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-14042012.jpg  

Old 11th May 2012, 11:06   #186
BHPian

When auto majors come up with cars like the Sail, Etios and the likes, i can't help but wonder what procedure they adopt to assess the needs of the Indian market. However bland/dated the current Aveo sedan might be from the outside, I still cant help but drool at its interiors and upholstery with a special mention to fit and finish. The Sail seems like a big downgrade. In a rush to bring in perceptively cheap cars to gain momentum in the market, they are, in all actuality ending up downgrading their product portfolio. The Etios ain't exactly cheap for what it offers both in terms of value and perceived status. I doubt if the Sail would be any different. The new Dzire is so much more desirable and the Manza is the definitive poor man's Merc. They do not give that cheap(made for India!) perception as well. Seems like a half-hearted measure this, but the Dzire/Manza is just so much more value.
The existing Aveo/Optra owners would be in for a shock when they drive down to the GM showrooms for that mis-conceived upgrade to the Sail. To draw the target audience(prospective dzire/manza buyers) a more contemporary and technologically superior product is required(case in point : It took a Cruze to take the fight to the Corolla).
Well, too much said on a scoop thread. To sum up, the Diesel variant will still find some takers owing to the dis-proportionate pricing in India. GM petrol vehicles have not yet proven to be FE champions, and with the bland and dated looks both inside and out, it will be hard to convince oneself to opt for a petrol Sail. The Etios has atleast the T-Badge and frugal engines going for it. What does the Sail have?
mi2n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 13:51   #187
BHPian

A friend of mine , Tejas Barot spotted this car at Katraj Pune last night.It does look like a Chevrolet Sail.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-412547_10151759846085691_774120690_24666513_262061856_o.jpg  

Old 21st May 2012, 17:41   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
The existing Aveo/Optra owners would be in for a shock when they drive down to the GM showrooms for that mis-conceived upgrade to the Sail.
How did you conclude that the Sail is an upgrade from the Optra or the Aveo?

Its a clear two sizes smaller than the Optra and probably 1 size smaller than the Aveo.

I agree was Aveo has plush interiors but this is strictly a VFM Etios fighter.

Personally I'm holding on to my verdict till the pricing is out.
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:18   #189
BANNED

IMHO, The main results derived by Auto manufacturers from Market feedback are:
-1st, Pricing Products at a Premium Irrespective of their Quality:
i.e Makes people to think twice over the Premium product pricing, hinting that it must be having something special/cutting-edge hidden inside it.
With lacs of new car aspiring people/seekers across the nation, a company can make substantial market share by the approach that people should try their product for the once, due to its brand value, like as happened in case of Toyota ETIOS & Mahindra Renault Logan.

-2nd, Introduce a poor design in the Market & give it the time to grow it on the people's minds:
Even poor to poor designs grows on the minds of the people here, if they're retained & marketed properly.
So, both these above factors are the main elements to succeed here & many Auto companies are trying this mantra to capture the market here.
& this is applicable to both 2 & 4-wheeler manufacturers here.

I guess, SAIL twins won't be product on the same lines here.
Though being targetted in the ETIOS segment, I beg to differ & support that GM-Chevrolet will offer these cars as definitely much better & upmarket overall package.
IMHO, these cars can seriously have the potential to affect the reign of Swift & DZire, as these cars are having;
-Much better looks across its segment(especially SAIL sedan which is much better looking than Etios, Verito, Manza & Dzire).
-Well laid out Interiors.
-Refined Engineering(I hope they'll atleast try to justify the Chevrolet badge).
Rest, lets see what the GM-Chevrolet have penned this time, after successfully placing the BEAT Diesel here.
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:27   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
How did you conclude that the Sail is an upgrade from the Optra or the Aveo?
Its a clear two sizes smaller than the Optra and probably 1 size smaller than the Aveo.
While I'm absolutely aware that the Sail is not in the league of the Optra. However, the Diesel variant of the Sail will now be the only offering from GM in the sub 10 lac segment after discontinuation of the Optra. Whether GM brings in another sedan to replace the Optra is highly questionable in presence of the highly VFM Cruze which was initially thought of as the true replacement to the Optra. So, prospective customers of both the Optra as well as the Aveo will now have the Sail (diesel sedan south of 10 lacs) as the only option in the same price bracket from the GM stable.
For the Aveo, well, GM has clearly indicated that the current Aveo and U-Va are being replaced with the Sail twins. Thus the comparison with the outgoing Aveo. The replacements have always been an upgrade one way or the other, and apart from that FIAT-GM national engine, i fail to notice a perceivable upgrade from the outgoing sedan.
My logic might not exactly be correct from all perspectives, but for someone looking to upgrade to a diesel sedan south of say 8-9 lacs INR (lucky ones got the Magnum for as low as 9 lacs) the GM stable stays as uninspiring as it is if not worse.

I agree that it's way to early to draw conclusions and an Etios like interior/upholstery upgrade can sort things out for the Sail, which is very acceptable from the outside anyways. Like you said, the pricing is going to be the key. Looks apart, the Manza and New Dzire brings so much more to the table. The Sail needs to undercut both in terms of pricing, and that is a tough challenge.
Old 23rd May 2012, 18:38   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whether GM brings in another sedan to replace the Optra is highly questionable in presence of the highly VFM Cruze which was initially thought of as the true replacement to the Optra. So, prospective customers of both the Optra as well as the Aveo will now have the Sail (diesel sedan south of 10 lacs) as the only option in the same price bracket from the GM stable.

My logic might not exactly be correct from all perspectives, but for someone looking to upgrade to a diesel sedan south of say 8-9 lacs INR (lucky ones got the Magnum for as low as 9 lacs) the GM stable stays as uninspiring as it is if not worse.
First of all we dont know if the Optra and Aveo are being discontinued after the Sail's arrival.

Chevy has another car called the 'Sonic' which is positioned in-between the Sail and the Cruze.

Quote:

The Sail needs to undercut both in terms of pricing, and that is a tough challenge.
I'm pretty sure they can undercut the Etios but Dzire has the advantage of being under 4m.
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:14   #192
Senior - BHPian

Default New Chevy sedan caught testing.

Look what I caught while driving back home from a hectic day out.

There were two of them. Unfortunate i was driving my friends Dzire. So had to use mobile cam. It was not coming fine so we decided to make a video out of it.

PS: please forgive if you hear something thats not suppose to be there. if you know what i mean.

Last edited by SirAlec : 23rd May 2012 at 22:31.
Old 28th May 2012, 04:53   #193
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I was in Mahableshwar, Maharashtra for the weekend, and I came across a parked test-mule of what I reckon is the Chevrolet Sail Hatchback outside Mapro Gardens.

Here are the pictures I managed to click while it was parked. Resized & Watermarked.

My observations:
  • This seemed to be the mid/low variant (LT much?). I say this with the level of equipment on it as observed as opposed to the one in this post.
  • All four power-windows, Electrically adjustable ORVM's (I didn't see the prongs on either side so I'm guessing they are electric), Stock stereo with USB, Aux-in, Bluetooth (with telephony option?) and a CD player, Fog Lamps, Rear-bumper diffusers.
  • The rear transmission hump didn't seem to be overly-obstrusive and hence wont make the 5th passenger unwanted.
  • The car seemed spacious in the front and back.
  • What makes me say that this car may not be a top-of-the-line variant is that in the above mentioned post, the car sports alloy rims, chrome garnishing on the interior (Gear-knob & Center Console), and a slightyly different interior shade I guess.
  • Funkily laid out Centre console and all the Power window switches in the middle could have a mixed acceptence.
  • As with almost all Chevy's, the quality of plastics didn't seem good enough and the rubber on the steering wheel looks dreadful.
  • Impressive level of kit on offer though and with that kind of space (atleast as it seems) IMO, a potent oil-burner and if priced right, this could be a big hit!
Anyways, I shall now let the pictures do the talking

Regards,
Attached Images

n:CorE is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 15:27   #194

Default SCOOP! Roadtest pics of what seems like an Aveo facelift?

Caught two test vehicles this morning at the NH8 Gurgaon to Delhi route! They had temp GJ registration plates.
Putting up pics - thankfully I got some good ones as i could drive alongside for a long time on NH8

Putting down my observations that lead me to believe that this is a potential Aveo facelift. I've been an Aveo owner for almost 6 years and I know the car through and through!

1. GJ temp plates means GM cars?
2. pic 617 - the silencer muffler visible end is exactly like the current Aveo - air throw pointing downwards. The bumper hemline has gone up though!
3. pic 618 - overall stance (ground clearance/ wheelbase/ roof height) are totally Aveo. I guess the chassis & cabin build is the same. And the trademark shoulder lines on the sides are retained but slightly toned down i think. Also the double lamp tail light cluster is typically Chevy.
4. pic 622 - again the overall aerodynamics and rear door shape is very similar to the current design. Big change in the front door design. Door handles moved from 'pull outs' to 'pull ups'?
5. pic 623 - all new front with the signature split grille of Chevy. New ORVMs.
6. pic 626 - changed front door design, new ORVM mounting due to that. wiper blades still the metal lattice mounted type :( and washers mounted on the hood.
7. pic 627 - big big change - fuel fill on the opposite side? is this an aveo upgrade then? maybe not. why would they do that?
8. pic 628 - notice the rear door inside lock - exactly current aveo. manual day/night mirror. On second thoughts the entire side contour is the same its not toned down. what say?
9. pic 635 - completely new interiors, only exception being the extreme air vents on either side have been retained as the current round ones! the lights and wiper controls look like the current ones too!

Or am i completely off track in saying this is an Aveo facelift? Not heard of any other car in this segment from GM!

Enjoy!
Attached Images

Old 2nd June 2012, 18:09   #195
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: SCOOP! Roadtest pics of what seems like an Aveo facelift?

This is chevrolet Sail sedan. I am able to spot these in my city also. Detailed thread is here.
Closed Thread