Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st September 2012, 22:08   #271
Senior - BHPian

Default re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail Sedan & Hatch caught testing. *Clear PICS on Page 9, 11 & 18*

I don't think these 2 cars can make too much of a difference for Chevrolet. Both look plain bland, and don't offer any aspirational value. IMO, another UVA and Aveo are in the making.
Old 21st September 2012, 22:21   #272
Senior - BHPian

Default re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail Sedan & Hatch caught testing. *Clear PICS on Page 9, 11 & 18*

I think the diesel variants will do well. What the Aveo, UVA etc lacked was the diesel engine to pull in the numbers. Trust me, if the aam junta get 18km/lt, they WILL buy it. In my opinion, the hatch looks better than the sedan and seems quite spacious too.

As for service standards, I have owned an Aveo in the past and now own a Cruze. GM service is pretty good here in Bangalore at least. They are eager to please and mostly competent and are a lot like Maruti in this respect.

I would contrast their enthusiasm with the swagger and take-it-or-leave-it attitude of Skoda (perennial), VW (lately) or the growing rip-off costs of Hyundai or the complete unreliability / variability of Tata/FIAT's service standards.

Maybe I am biased :-) but I still maintain that the Aveo would have been a winner with a 1.3 TCDi engine along with a stiffer suspension. The interiors are/were far better and looked 'rich' in comparison to even a class up. Fit and finish was top class and ergonomics great too.

All the best to Chevy this time around!

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st September 2012 at 22:24. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 22:55   #273
Senior - BHPian

How close is that nose to the Fabia?? The alloys look pretty similar too!

Pricing will make a difference but currently from what i see of the car itself , fails to impress me.
Attached Images

puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 23:13   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post

Pricing will make a difference but currently from what i see of the car itself , fails to impress me.
awesome observation, the alloys are completely the same. I think if observed carefully we can surely find more on Sail. Its inspired by all the cars after all its chinese.
Old 22nd September 2012, 00:04   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
cheap Chinese stuff

Chevy, can you give us some properly engineered cars instead of some cheap trash (all in the name of cost cutting? Or it is 'value' that is the buzz word these days).
I hope you know that the Sail is not a chinese car at all. It is nothing but a rebadged and facelifted version of the defunct Opel Corsa Sail.

The Checy uses the same platform as the Corsa, identical underpinnings. It's just a refreshed version.

Everyone knows that the Corsa was known for it's exemplary stability and ride quality. Looking by ACI's first report, the Sail carries over these traits.

I really like these simple design hatches than the quirky funny styling which some manufacturers are adopting including Chevy with the Beat. It maybe funky looking but not to everyone's taste.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 00:38   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Default +1

You bet.

IIRC, cutting edge products like i-pad and i-phone are also made in China. There is a big difference between 'made by a Chinese company' to 'made in China by a reputed western brand'
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 03:42   #277
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm actually beginning to like this Chevy supermini. Yes, it looks a bit dated and unexciting but it seems to have a lot more going for it. The excellent Fiat Multijet, loads of room at the rear, great ride quality and no shocking cost-cutting as on the Toyota Etios Liva. Also, this is one car where the fixed rear headrests actually seem to serve their intended purpose.

All it now needs is a killer price tag, especially for the diesel and Chevy can take the fight to the more established players and grab a sizable chunk of the pie.
Old 22nd September 2012, 03:50   #278
BHPian

Just went through the Autocar review and seems like this product is going to really heat up the segment. Specially the way Autocar is describing the ride is making me think twice about the product. Why did Chevrolet didn't work on the interiors! Steering looks so big and the power window switches in the central, its 2012 now! My Santro Xing had those way back in 2004. I think the maximum sales it will fetch from if priced right is going to be fleet owners. They will finally have good replacement over the age old Indica.
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:48   #279
BHPian

Default [Scoop] Found a car testing

Hi Guys,

I just saw this car being tested in Hauz Khas; going by the badge size and front design, I assume that its a hatch from Chevrolet.

PS: Apologies for not posting on Sail Thread as I've not been keeping up with t-bhp; moderators, please merge
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img_4398.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img_4399.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img_4400.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img_4401.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img_4402.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img_4403.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img_4404.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img_4409.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img_4410.jpg  

Last edited by inferno : 22nd September 2012 at 11:54.
inferno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 12:28   #280
Senior - BHPian

Just to clarify , that i picked the picture from the net itself , the Indian fabia does not come with those alloys - maybe this was the design earlier?

At any rate , very similar looking on the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
awesome observation, the alloys are completely the same. I think if observed carefully we can surely find more on Sail. Its inspired by all the cars after all its chinese.
Old 22nd September 2012, 12:37   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo
Just to clarify , that i picked the picture from the net itself , the Indian fabia does not come with those alloys - maybe this was the design earlier?

At any rate , very similar looking on the front.
I am not much sure if its available in Fabia now or not but I have seen those alloys on my friend's Fabia. His car is 2010 model.
Old 22nd September 2012, 13:16   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
wow... Btw if at all Fabia resembles anything than it is old generation Swift (which itself looks a copy of Mini Cooper) ...see it. In fact so similar are the side profile and dimensions of fabia and swift that it looks more like a joint development program between suzuki and skoda
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 3987
Size:  53.0 KB

Last edited by anu21v : 22nd September 2012 at 13:24.
anu21v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 13:59   #283

My observations on the new Chevy Sail:

- The looks are bland and uninspiring. It would be very difficult for a common man to believe this and the Beat from the same company if only the logo and the grill are covered.
- Chevrolet needs to really improve its new product implementation timelines. This car was launched in China almost 3 years back. Such a delay in bringing this to the neighbouring country is unjustified. If it was launched here at that time, it would have been more successful.
- The delay extends to their introduction of the multijet engine as well, as others have commented.
- Except the Tavera, this seems to be the only other car in the Chevrolet portfolio which doesn't have much contribution from GM Korea.
- I was expecting the petrol version to have the same 1.2 STEC II unit from the Beat. But this one seems to be a completely different one, an all aluminium unit, whereas the Beat engine has a cast iron block.
- The petrol version seems to have better performance, in gear acceleration and low end torque compared to other GM petrol engines in India.
- If only they had replaced the flap type door handles with pull type ones, moved the power window switches to the doors, given a 2 DIN music system and a metallic logo on the steering wheel, it would have got a better up market feel at minimum cost.
- The USP of this car will be its practicality as it does not appear either as a handler like the Swift or loaded like the i20.

Overall, I feel this car would get moderate success in India, but won't do much to improve Chevrolet brand image in India. My wishlist for Chevrolet is this, which I think will give them a boost in brand image

Sonic twins to replace Aveo twins
Trax to compete with Duster and Ecosport
Chevrolet Spin instead of the Chinese van Enjoy
Orlando to replace Tavera and compete with the Innova.
Old 22nd September 2012, 17:44   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
I think the maximum sales it will fetch from if priced right is going to be fleet owners. They will finally have good replacement over the age old Indica.
it is very unlikely to replace Indica. The way Indica cabs are serviced/repaired at non A$$ is amazing. i don't think the owners can take tat chance with a Chevy. And getting it serviced at Chevy A$$ may not be as cheap as any Indica. It is my opinion, though. Chevy owners can educate me more on this.
Old 22nd September 2012, 17:55   #285
BHPian

I agree on that point but these days Fleet owners are showing a huge interest in the Tavera and its selling pretty well. Currently, the maximum numbers of U-VA in city are owned by Fleet owners only. The running costs too I think would be low by looking at the quality of interiors and specification. Well, now all depends on pricing of the vehicle.
Closed Thread