Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 12th December 2012, 14:28   #346
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
From what I saw - interiors were same as the Sail UVA.
I did not notice much difference, neither to say crazy leg space like the Manza or Sunny.
Nice clear pics there! Seems to be quite a competent product and with the two motors under the hood, it will be efficient and competitive as well (just waiting for the price tag)

The car surely looks well proportioned and must say the highlight is not the front nor the interiors for sure but the back! Really looks quite modern and well crafted. Some how get a feeling that it has the same lines of the erstwhile Mondeo but thats just IMO!
Old 13th December 2012, 11:01   #347
BHPian

Default Re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Nice clear pics there! Seems to be quite a competent product and with the two motors under the hood, it will be efficient and competitive as well (just waiting for the price tag)

The car surely looks well proportioned and must say the highlight is not the front nor the interiors for sure but the back! Really looks quite modern and well crafted. Some how get a feeling that it has the same lines of the erstwhile Mondeo but thats just IMO!
The pricing is going to be the main deciding factor.

While the lines are clean, nothing super exciting either.

IMO - I just did not like the position of the power window switches.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:20   #348
Senior - BHPian

I am seeing the sedan and a Ertiga like vehicle every alternate day on whitefield road.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:57   #349
BHPian

Is it going to replace Aveo (I owned it 3 yrs), and I believe Aveo deserves a suitable replacement with a diesel version for a long time.
Old 13th December 2012, 15:12   #350
Senior - BHPian

Did I see LCD screens behind the front seat's head-rest in this picture? Might be, they are just testing and won't make it to production?
Old 13th December 2012, 15:46   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Did I see LCD screens behind the front seat's head-rest in this picture? Might be, they are just testing and won't make it to production?
Nice observation , BTW who knows, they might launch with those LCD screens and DVD player, and use this as new marketing term

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 13th December 2012, 16:25   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Nice catch. Really hope there would be something extra for the sedan in addition to just a boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Nice observation , BTW who knows, they might launch with those LCD screens and DVD player, and use this as new marketing term
Perhaps an IPL edition like we see from the VW every year? They could well be launching the sedan around that time anyway.
Old 13th December 2012, 16:33   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

The cold response to the U-VA might propel a much more sensible pricing for this sedan version I feel. In a way, it's good Chevy didn't launch both together. The hatch launch has given them enough time to gauge the response to the brand & they should be in a better position to price & make the sedan extremely VFM, if they choose to!
Old 13th December 2012, 17:46   #354
BHPian

Post Re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20

Extremely clear shots Suraj. Nice work there!

My first impression is also that the car has clean styling and looks quite balanced aesthetically. No immediate quirkiness is apparent. Also in the front view, that Cruze like grill gives the car a kinda commanding stance and presence. Otherwise the back is pretty vanilla.

To a large extent, Chevy has managed to carve out a pretty modern-looking sedan without making it look like an offshoot of a hatch. That is always a big challenge, isn't it?! Because more often than not, when a sedan is born out its hatch form, an ugly child has resulted!

Are those 14" alloys btw?
Old 13th December 2012, 17:52   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The cold response to the U-VA might propel a much more sensible pricing for this sedan version I feel. In a way, it's good Chevy didn't launch both together. The hatch launch has given them enough time to gauge the response to the brand & they should be in a better position to price & make the sedan extremely VFM, if they choose to!
Agree! The almost cold response to hatchback should help Chevy make sure it does things differently with the sedan.

But Chevys issues aren't just about pricing. Even with reasonably, competitively priced products, there is not way things are going to improve overnight. I seriously doubt the Sail-Sedan is going to do much. They need to seriously work on improving the foot falls!
Old 16th December 2012, 22:12   #356
BHPian

Spotted sedan and MUV testing on the Bangalore Mysore state high way on the Saturday morning.
Sorry about the mobile picture quality.

Name:  image1296784531.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  471.9 KB

Name:  image2694655377.jpg
Views: 1468
Size:  387.3 KB

Name:  image2274139720.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  412.8 KB

Name:  image1834763415.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  366.9 KB

Name:  image2516266537.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  241.2 KB

Name:  image581265420.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  321.5 KB
arvindmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 16:36   #357
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Sedan looks gorgeous when compared to the rear looks of the Hatch sibling(in comparison)

Looking forward to a VFM pricing to boost GM sales in india. Though its cousin Ford has been successful in hatch segment with Figo, it is no where in the low end sedan segment. Lets see if GM can get a share here.

But i am only concerned if they end up doing ergonomic mess like in case of U-VA by keeping power window switches at awkward locations
Old 17th December 2012, 18:48   #358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

But i am only concerned if they end up doing ergonomic mess like in case of U-VA by keeping power window switches at awkward locations
Au contraire, I found the power-window switches very intuitive to use. Generally, in other cars, I'd need to take my right hand off the steering-wheel to use the switches, but in the Sail U-VA, I could keep my right hand on the steering and use the switches while resting my left palm on the gear-knob for a brief moment.

The other positive I found is that the passenger will not need to rely on the driver to open the windows other than his own.

The only time I found it annoying was when I frantically groped for the switches on the door-panel in a bid to open the windows in a hurry.

I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 18:57   #359
BHPian

Post Re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I could keep my right hand on the steering and use the switches while resting my left palm on the gear-knob for a brief moment.

The other positive I found is that the passenger will not need to rely on the driver to open the windows other than his own.

I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it.
Suhaas, I somehow missed this one in the review. Could you please restate where the power window switches are located on the U-VA? I find it interesting that you can do without having to take your right hand off the steering whilst still resting your left hand on the gear lever. Even better if you don't have to take your eyes off the road huh?

Intuitive may not always be ergonomic isn't it?! As I see it, if they were to replicate the same design on the Sail sedan, it wouldn't be the most horrible thing right?

Last edited by Omtoatom : 17th December 2012 at 19:00.
Old 17th December 2012, 19:29   #360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Suhaas, I somehow missed this one in the review. Could you please restate where the power window switches are located on the U-VA? I find it interesting that you can do without having to take your right hand off the steering whilst still resting your left hand on the gear lever. Even better if you don't have to take your eyes off the road huh?
The power-window switches are located in between the center console and the gear-lever. I'd say it's merely a couple of inches in front of the gear-lever.

I found the gear-lever itself positioned a few inches back and closer to the handbrake. And with the switches just ahead, it isn't much of a stretch for the arm either. You could rest your palm on the lever and use the switches simultaneously. All this while maintaining your grip on the wheel.**

** I wouldn't recommend resting your hand on the gear-lever though. I'd inculcated that habit when I started driving 5 years ago. And it was something very difficult to get rid of. I did though, eventually.

It's best to keep your hands in the 10-to-2 / 9-to-3 position at all times.

Quote:
Intuitive may not always be ergonomic isn't it?!
Here is TheFreeDictionary's meaning of the word ergonomic:

Quote:
1. (used with a sing. verb) The applied science of equipment design, as for the workplace, intended to maximize productivity by reducing operator fatigue and discomfort. Also called biotechnology, human engineering, human factors engineering.

2. (used with a pl. verb) Design factors, as for the workplace, intended to maximize productivity by minimizing operator fatigue and discomfort

That said, when it comes to the positioning of the pedals (ergonomics), the U-VA is an utter disaster. It's just terrible and they definitely need to do something about it!

Even using the horn-switch was slightly annoying because I had to stretch my thumbs downward and in a very weird way.

Quote:
As I see it, if they were to replicate the same design on the Sail sedan, it wouldn't be the most horrible thing right?
I had my reservations on the switches when I saw them in the press-pictures and spy-shots. But frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing them in all cars. Not just the Sail sedan. Like I said, it's just a matter of getting used to. *winks*
Closed Thread