Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which car does NOT Rattle?
ANHC 110 24.12%
SX4 18 3.95%
Fiesta 59 12.94%
Verna 35 7.68%
Aveo 14 3.07%
Optra Magnum 31 6.80%
Linea 116 25.44%
Octavia 73 16.01%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd January 2010, 18:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Given enough time, anything rattles on bad roads! My 8+ years old OHC sure does
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 19:05   #32
BHPian

Why is there no Swift in the list? We have heard lots of complaints about rattles in brand new Swifts in this very forum. 2 of my friends have swifts: one petrol and the other DDIS. Petrol swift has no rattles but the diesel one would put a rattlesnake to shame

But as many others posted, many a times, it is the roads rather than the quality of the cars.

-Pallavi
Pallavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 20:09   #33
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My Fiat Linea does not rattle. So, I voted in favour of it.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 05:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

Default What is Rattle?

Well my car doesn't Rattle!!! Yes it doesn't!!!

It just vibrates. It vibrates while starting, while switching off and also while running at low Revvs

So my Car is the Best!

Oh Btw, its a Bolero!
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 10:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
No mention of Corolla, Jetta even as Octavia makes the list ???
Notwithstanding the usefulness of the question, polls of this nature are likely to be biased.

In order to judge which car rattles the most, we need a measurable definition of "rattle" independent of the respondent.

Then, we need to enumerate all the variables, independent of the car, that lead to rattling - quantitative parameters like age, distance traveled and qualitative ones related to how well the car has been driven and maintained. These will have to be controlled to find out which car, all the above (and more) being equal "rattles" the most.

Lastly we need an experiment which creates "rattling" for all the cars in question above controlled for the variables to identify which car "rattles" how much.

Ofcourse the above may be very costly to undertake so a rough poll with some bias will do - but in this case I feel that the bias will be so large it will not be much useful.

Cheers and happy 2010 to all my fellow t-bhpians!

Last edited by diffsoft : 3rd January 2010 at 10:16.
diffsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 10:55   #36
BHPian

voted for Magnum, it a first hand experience, own it since last 2 years, and it doen not rattle for sure. i sold my Wagon R because of rattling issues, i hate it the most.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 11:06   #37
BHPian

Shouldnt the thread read like " Who is the Rattle Snake of them all"

All cars are prone to rattle with age and is just a matter of how soon or based on your usage.

Some cars are more rattle prone like the Swift, Indica etc.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 15:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Octy. I have driven cars with over 1.5 lacs kms on the odo and they just refuse to age/rattle. On a broader note though, German cars are generally of a very solid build and seldom rattle when compared to other cars.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 15:51   #39
BHPian

atleast not the Getz CRDi that i own.

sadly its not there in the poll.
pb10gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 15:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Voted for the Octy. I have driven cars with over 1.5 lacs kms on the odo and they just refuse to age/rattle. On a broader note though, German cars are generally of a very solid build and seldom rattle when compared to other cars.
True. That's what the solid thud of the doors indicate. It tells you that the car is heavily over engineered and all the parts have been well made and will last a very long time.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 16:08   #41
Team-BHP Support

Voted for Optra, dad's official car and Rudra's are the closest that comes, when NO rattle comes to mind
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 16:24   #42
BHPian

IMHO rattling or no rattling can not be entirely attributed to the model/make. This is more to do with addnl fitment, age and road conditions. The European build do provide deterrant , but nor for life time.

My Palio, which was rattle free for some time , finally showing failing to it - Thanks to the heavy speakers added on tray and the roadcondition in my vicinity.
sanstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 18:06   #43
BHPian

In cars, we can attribute some of the rattling sounds to the following parts:

1. Doors (main culprits): I think doors in Palio have lesser scope to rattle than those in Punto or Swift. If you see Palio doors, they have doors pads and handles screwed directly to door. In most modern cars, there are plastic panels that cover the actual metallic door and everything else it screwed to that plastic make them rattle prone.

2. Bonnet and Grill: Did any one see bonnet thickness in Spark? I have never seen such a thin bonnet. Also, most of the cars have radiator grills that are so thin, they break with a slight nudge to a bike/auto or wall.

3. Hatch/Boot: Most of the hatch doors rattle because of load on parcel trays. Parcel trays are light and they get easily deformed with load from objects like speakers and laptop bags. Twisted parcel trays induce stress on surrounding plastic trim including the one on hatch door (if your car has it).

4. Suspension (not rattling per se, but sounds like 'kut', 'kut'): The quality of suspensions used on Indian small cars is no match to our roads. If you are Maruti and if you don't make this noise after 20k on odo, you are one lucky machine.

5. Loose screws or objects in Dash or any other storage bins.

Irrespective of how well your car is built, the mileage of rattle free drive is best left to our esteemed government agencies that maintain our roads. In spite of having so many monsters on road (pot holes, speed breakers of all sizes, zombie autos and call center cabs) to eat your vehicles, if you are rattle free and have more than 50k on odo, I salute to you. Leave alone saving vehicle from rattles; if I reach home safe in this jungle, I am just fine. Put the volume on ICE and smile as if there are no rattles on your vehicle. Nobody is going to notice!!!

Last edited by Eddy : 4th January 2010 at 18:15. Reason: Please do not copy paste from an external editor. That makes the post unreadable by introducing formatting tags.
Rach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 18:30   #44
Senior - BHPian

Why no Lancer in the list ? 7 years and no rattles.
EDIT: It is made in Japan. Not HM. That could well be the difference.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 4th January 2010 at 18:31.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 23:37   #45
BHPian

My 10yr old esteem is not too bad still mild rattles from dash and door pads. quite understandible.

Of what I have seen, except Alto most of the current maruti cars rattle. SX4 iam not too sure, But Baleno was the BEST car till date from Maruti, it had the least rattling.

Swift has started rattling right away for even newbies. So once I had a trip in a swift, i started to respect my esteem more

Honda/Ford/Totoya Vehicles, as per my exp arent rattlers.

My best choices:- LANCER, OHC, Palio.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 4th January 2010 at 23:57. Reason: sorry i had to specify some cars specifically
sam_sant2005 is offline   Reply With Quote