Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which car does NOT Rattle?
ANHC 110 24.12%
SX4 18 3.95%
Fiesta 59 12.94%
Verna 35 7.68%
Aveo 14 3.07%
Optra Magnum 31 6.80%
Linea 116 25.44%
Octavia 73 16.01%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th January 2010, 11:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Palio & Laura

Neither of my cars, the Palio 1.6 GTX nor the Laura rattle.

We are just back from a 7234 km trip in the Laura, (see - AP to AP: In search of a white X-mas and found a street party!). The trip included several stretches of bad roads. The Laura remained and remains without a squeak or rattle even after the trip though it has not been serviced after that trip.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 23:33   #62
Senior - BHPian

[quote=GTO;1673448]I can vouch for the quality of early Lancers. My 2000 Model didn't throw out a squeak in its 1.0+ lakh kms of service. Is there a different between import quality and the localised stuff? Like you would not believe! Even a kid can tell the difference in quality of parts.

How right, GTO! And you too Prince Pervez. My cousin's is a 99 model Lancer. And mine is 2000 model. Neither gives out a squeak nor a rattle. Ok, I drive very sanely but my cousin drives like GOD came in his dream and told him to destroy the car. Yet damn thing doesn't squeel a bit. There sure is something about the early Lancers.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 11:52   #63
BHPian

My vote would have gone to the Getz (not listed above), based on my ownership experience.

Odo reading: 35,000 Km
Driven mainly on South Mumbai roads, which are fairly good actually
Rattles: None
risga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 16:42   #64
BANNED

i guess that 90% of the maruit product rattles. and most of the cars from europe and german dont rattle.
and just about my dad's 3 yrs old cedia and 75k on the ODO, give pleasnt ride on rought surface ( no rattles)

Last edited by monty9991 : 13th January 2010 at 16:43.
monty9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 16:58   #65
BHPian

I have a totally different opinion about this thread .To me its not the car thats rattle its the driver itself responsible for its rattling(the way he drives ,However maruti is still an exception but then its small cars are economic isnt it?).I see many people voting for ANHC and Linea But these cars havent been around so much.If you drive it sensibly it wont rattle however if you keep on abusing it,it will start rattling one time.So if the car is well taken care off,well serviced and well inspected ,it doesnt leave a window for rattling.
Car-e-ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 17:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

My Ikon is almost 5 years old and I have driven it over the worst possible stretches but there is not a single rattle.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 17:39   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-e-ok View Post
I have a totally different opinion about this thread .To me its not the car thats rattle its the driver itself responsible for its rattling(the way he drives ,However maruti is still an exception but then its small cars are economic isnt it?).I see many people voting for ANHC and Linea But these cars havent been around so much.If you drive it sensibly it wont rattle however if you keep on abusing it,it will start rattling one time.So if the car is well taken care off,well serviced and well inspected ,it doesnt leave a window for rattling.
+1. Yes Rattling issues surface when a car is driven for more than 2 years. What is also important to note is that rattling is mainly caused due to poor quality of plastics or improper fitment of plastics. Clearly Lineas had problems of several falling parts in the interior and also relatively poor plastic quality compared to ANHC, yet Linea leads in this poll. What an irony!
nurni76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 20:37   #68
Senior - BHPian

By rattling, one means body rattle not just the odd plastic trim or the pen in the glove compartment. The worrisome rattles come from body panels, doors, bonnet and dicky. Some rattles come from suspension parts and engine vibration causing panels to vibrate. Some minor rattles can be caused by grille, plastic trim etc. Closely related to rattles are body groans and squeaks, these often grow up to be full blown rattles.

The idea is to find cars that do not rattle even after being used over rough roads over time. By a corollary new cars can be included if they do not groan or squeak and are silent on rough roads.

One of my cars is over 5 years old and the other is almost 3 years old. They have both seen their share of rough or non-existent roads and they still do not rattle.

Cheers,
Old 13th January 2010, 20:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

I never heard any rattles from Fiat-Skoda-Hyundai-Ford-GM cars. I heard too many rattles from Maruti and mild rattle from TATA, Toyota stable.

Trust me or not, Safari Petrol 2003 end model (40k ODO) I purchased in oct. 1st week of 2009 had no rattle at all untill I replaced (which was due for over 6 months) back door(Nov. 2nd week). TATA service guys did very bad job and I can hear rattles from that door now when travelled in bad roads. I know and expected they cant fix it anything better than that so no arguments.

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 13:08   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Clearly Lineas had problems of several falling parts in the interior and also relatively poor plastic quality compared to ANHC, yet Linea leads in this poll. What an irony!
It's got to do with the way the question is asked. There are more Linea owners in this forum, so even if half of them vote in this forum, Linea will lead the poll.

But, wait a minute, if the question was the other way around (Which car rattles?), we would have seen many Maruti/Honda/Hyundai owners voting for the Linea and it would have still led the poll.

I think this poll is a failure.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 18:55   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
It's got to do with the way the question is asked. There are more Linea owners in this forum, so even if half of them vote in this forum, Linea will lead the poll.

But, wait a minute, if the question was the other way around (Which car rattles?), we would have seen many Maruti/Honda/Hyundai owners voting for the Linea and it would have still led the poll.

I am not sure if there more Linea owners or Linea fans in this forum. Maybe of the ones who voted for Linea, some may not even have driven a Linea. After all, when there was the poll on SX4 rattles, several people who voted saying it has rattles did not even own an Sx4.

Anyways all I am saying is that when it comes to rattles a major constituent is poor plastic quality and fitment. The body rattles only start appearing after several Kms of rough usage and improper maintenance. Eg: My wagon R has several rattles (sheet metal) ever since it met with a head on collision. Till then it was impeccably maintained and had abolutely no body rattles even after 2 years of usage
nurni76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 19:00   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

A cursory glance of the 'I booked my car thread' as well as the TD & Initial impressions threads will show otherwise. This impression will be reinforced by a visit to the Garages of the owners (view - Garage). Linea owners are few and far between.

Cheers,
Old 14th January 2010, 19:06   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
A cursory glance of the 'I booked my car thread' as well as the TD & Initial impressions threads will show otherwise. This impression will be reinforced by a visit to the Garages of the owners (view - Garage). Linea owners are few and far between.
I'm not sure about that. We do have quite a lot of Linea owners here. Not to mention loads of Fiat fans. It does skew things a bit but that can't really be helped.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 18:51   #74
Senior - BHPian

Biased, the posts above are.

My brother owns a Punto which can be construed as pretty similar to the Linea and I have driven it around 2000kms.

Even though, I don't own one... I do request the right to project my honest opinion.

Is it a fad to hate fiat lovers?

In any case, I just got back from a 1200 km drive on the Punto. It was wonderful all through, but we started hearing a squeak whenever I turned right. Fearing the worst, we took all the preliminary observations suggested for localising the sound. It ended up as the passenger seat squeaking, it wasn't locked in position.

So no complaints from the Punto at all!

I own a Zen, a Santro and a Scorpio and they all rattle.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:21   #75
Senior - BHPian

My vote went for the LINEA. It takes the solidness of the PUNTO to another level altogether. No wonder most auto magazines wax eloquent about the superb ride quality of the PUNTO
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote