Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st December 2010, 22:49   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: How far will the Thar affect the market?

I would personally be very interested. financially, I am a bit constrained atleast till '11 end but by 2012 once the swift is close to touching 100k, I would want to retire it from touring duties in favor of the Thar ,provided it is proven to be reliable and a ok ok comfortable (compared to swift) mile muncher for families!
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirbhan View Post
From what I heard, CRDe version is going to cost more than 7.2 lakhs on road in Karnataka . Apparently the interiors shown in the autoexpo version are not standard on the one that has been launched. Now waiting for the demo vehicle to arrive in Mangalore, one of the few cities where Thar is supposedly making a debut by end of the month
Yeah! For that price, there is no AC (although the customers can fit AC at their own expense) and no ABS / airbags (I guess these are not necessary for pure offroading anyway).

By the way, is the 2498cc engine same as the one in Xylo?
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post

By the way, is the 2498cc engine same as the one in Xylo?
Yes its the same engine as in Bolero and Xylo but with a slightly different mapping to take care of the 4.3 Drive Ratio and 16" Wheels
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:10   #34
BHPian

I don't think that the Thar is aimed at the really serious off-rading enthusiast. For them, nothing but a custom build with massive articulation and raised body would do.

IMO, it is suited for someone who likes jeeps, but isn't willing to compromise on things like a modern suspension, engine and gearbox. An old jeep, however well restored, is still an old jeep. It is brilliant off-road, but it is less than spectacular on-road. Not to mention the creature comforts like power steering and AC (Does the Thar have AC?). Yes, the Bolero Invader does offer some of it, but the Thar has the classic good looks of the CJ5, with modern mechanicals and genuine off-roading credentials, all of it backed by a company warranty. No model currently on offer has everything the Thar does.

Last edited by vivekgk : 22nd December 2010 at 13:15.
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
As much as the anticipation is on T-bhp, the Thar would still not be very viable for most people including the 4x4 enthusiast. The main culprit being the upfront money that needs to be shelled out. Buying a second hand Jeep is much cheaper and building it up can be in installments.

I thought thats why you had car loans...Isnt the Thar not eligible for a car loan ?

Adding on, with some creature comforts thrown in, this shoud be a good 4x4 VEHICLE with lots of pose value for the typical metro 35-40 year old person. I still have my doubts about safety of occupants with a removable hard top especially given the speeds the Thar can do in the highway - isnt the Scorpio/Bolero a safer option in that application ?

Last edited by narayan : 22nd December 2010 at 13:29.
Old 22nd December 2010, 22:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I thought thats why you had car loans...Isnt the Thar not eligible for a car loan ?

It would certainly be eligible for a car loan, but you still pay the money over an extended period dont you.

Apart from the enthusiast the general population looks at creature comforts, even "pose" value does not hold too much of an importance.

But, this thread now has a different dimension to it, its in the form of the much less spoken about THAR DI with live axles. We do not know about its pricing but anticipate it to be a tad costlier than buying and building an old MM550. Many enthusiasts might go for that one.
Old 22nd December 2010, 23:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
It would certainly be eligible for a car loan, but you still pay the money over an extended period dont you.

Apart from the enthusiast the general population looks at creature comforts, even "pose" value does not hold too much of an importance.

But, this thread now has a different dimension to it, its in the form of the much less spoken about THAR DI with live axles. We do not know about its pricing but anticipate it to be a tad costlier than buying and building an old MM550. Many enthusiasts might go for that one.
Actually, I *heard* that soft tops are not eligible for car loans - in case of default, banks find it much more difficult to sell off as opposed to a regular commuter car.

So its cash-money down baby! Smack those green backs!
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:00   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Actually, I *heard* that soft tops are not eligible for car loans - in case of default, banks find it much more difficult to sell off as opposed to a regular commuter car.

So its cash-money down baby! Smack those green backs!
Uh-oh. If that's true the Thar's sales are going to be hurt very very badly.
I'm sure Mahindra will try to negotiate some sort of deal with the Banks to get loans approved, after all very few people and throw down 6-8 lakh upfront.
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:05   #39
Team-BHP Support

Very few people plonking down 7L on road will accept the omission of an AC. Esp since 90% of the country turns into an oven in summers.
City buyers are also worried about safety from theft and vandalism, which soft tops are prone to.
So I guess once it has HT and AC, even if the price goes to 6.5L ex showroom, you have a jeep, which can be used as a daily driver, as well as a lifestyle vehicle.
Hopefully Mahindra will realize this, and get on with these 2 things soon. Offer a soft top version, but do offer something with Heater and AC.
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Very few people plonking down 7L on road will accept the omission of an AC. Esp since 90% of the country turns into an oven in summers.
Couldn't have put it better. The Thar in its current versions/variants will not be sought as a family vehicle. Also at this price point, very few people will want to buy what is essentially a jeep with a better engine and mechanicals.

It should, in my opinion, sell approximately the same numbers as the Gypsy with a 15% variance at most.

Note from Mod : The Thar's full test & review has been uploaded at this link (Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review). Thread closed. Please continue the discussion over on the review thread.

Last edited by GTO : 5th January 2011 at 18:40. Reason: Adding link to review thread
Closed Thread