Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 22nd June 2011, 10:13   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
And autocar india also have a news piece which says that the launch will be somewhere in the 2nd half of next year. A bit too far indeed.
Heard so, 2011 they have a new car and by late 2012 the Duster.
By 2012, the competition would be the new Safari, the new SUV from M&M and SUV from Force.
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:32   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The only issue is, in spite of best in engines, they do not scope from a practicality/utility point of view. I have virtually no choice from utility hatch point of view.

- I20 CRDI seems to fit the bill, but questions on boot space, GC and steering feedback (not the rattle issue, which I think is now fixed) remain. Handling in city and highways : Not much of an idea. (But I have not heard good reviews about it. Need to confirm though)

So in the hatch that is the one which remains apart from Punto.

So then it becomes either Fiesta or the Vento (we are talking diesels only).
As you said the utility point of view, none of these cars give you that. Also the i20 is substantially expensive and not VFM. Since you are already driving the Fusion petrol I think you will not like the turbo lag in i20, it is just too much in the city. And you will not feel that you are driving anything different, depriving yourself of that feel good factor. In my pinion, Duster starts where all these hatches stop. I have seen many who have made an impulsive buy and repented for the years to come, and one among them has bought an i20 petrol, diesel is far better.

I am sort of a person who will deliberate the process of buying a new car, I don't mind the delay, since I intend to use it for a minimum of 5 to 7 years, that said any car becomes obsolete in 1 year with so many new cars coming every year. In any case the later you buy the better you get. In that scenario it makes more sense to buy something that will keep you satisfied in the long run, and that is possible only when all your needs are met, and no amount of latest tech, design, resale value will do. Just like how you like your Fusion, it does everything you like, but almost. So buy what you really need and not bound by time frame. And after the Duster is launched and just in case if it does not work out for you, I am sure you will get better discounts on i20 or Punto by then for that matter. Resale of your Fusion will hardly change in a years time.
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:39   #303
BHPian

Quote:
So the other question is about back up plans. If not the Duster, then what?
Surely no Safarai/Scorp for me. They are too big for my requirements. 5-seaters is all that I need.

I was desperately looking for something like Fusion which I currently drive. There is nothing that comes even close to it.
So would be forced to look at Hatch/Sedan diesel versions.
Well if you are open to buying pre-worshipped.. I would say the X-Trail fits your bill perfectly. Its a very underestimated SUV and has great potential. The 2nd hand prices are very low but are a little difficult to come by as people who own it dont sell it so easily Good luck with the search!
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:49   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Well if you are open to buying pre-worshipped.. I would say the X-Trail fits your bill perfectly. Its a very underestimated SUV and has great potential. The 2nd hand prices are very low but are a little difficult to come by as people who own it dont sell it so easily Good luck with the search!
Can you give an idea of 2nd hand prices of X-Trail in Bangalore, of lets say 3 to 5 years old.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:56   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Can you give an idea of 2nd hand prices of X-Trail in Bangalore, of lets say 3 to 5 years old.
A 3 to 4 year example should be selling around Rs. 10 - 11 lakhs although people will quote you about Rs. 12 lakhs. Post that its your bargaining skills
Old 22nd June 2011, 16:05   #306
Team-BHP Support

X-trail would have been ideal for my requirements. But as you finding one owner who is willing to sell is difficult. Also not sure about servicing.
Old 22nd June 2011, 18:29   #307
BHPian

Quote:
X-trail would have been ideal for my requirements. But as you finding one owner who is willing to sell is difficult. Also not sure about servicing.
I have not come across any service issues about Nissan so far in Bangalore, but then how many X-Trails do you find on road. Moreover, since they have hardly any cars on road the service with just one provider too may be good enough with personalized attention and so on.

Also are there any chances that X-Trail will be locally produced, now that Nissan / Renault have a full fledged plant here, if so than chances are that the price also might come down, or maybe not. How will Renault place Koleos in that case, it will be too narrow a gap. What with the kind of our customer base for SUVs are mostly showoff guys, rarely interested to even know the difference between a soft-roader and an offroader, all they are interested is in the size. Even if you take the total sale figure of Scorpio I am sure 4x4 are less than 5%.

Quote:
A 3 to 4 year example should be selling around Rs. 10 - 11 lakhs although people will quote you about Rs. 12 lakhs. Post that its your bargaining skills
At those prices its a bargain for a well maintained used one. But since not many have been sold and not many owners sell it without using it to the hilt, it is difficult to get one.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 23rd June 2011 at 10:08. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the Multiquote feature if replying to more than one post.
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:37   #308
Senior - BHPian

11-12 lacs will get you a good one
theres one at the moment sitting on carwale 12.45 lacs - top end fully loaded version
and theres a silver one as of this morning parked at Royal CarZ Koramangala 80 ft road - am sure they will quote about 10-12 range for it.
even I like the x trail but just in case theres any mechanical or electronic trouble, it will cost a bomb to get back to good order as all parts are imported.
think of a tucson maybe?

Quote:
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:29   #309
Senior - BHPian

So this is how the Indian Duster would look like. Thanks to indianautosblog for the article- India-bound Renault Duster breaks cover | Indian Autos blog
Does anybody have the pictures of the interiors that would make it to our shores?
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:40   #310
BHPian

Its a good looking SUV no doubt but if they are going to provide only the 1.5l motor thats going to be too puny for an SUV of this size. Heck even the Innova has a 2.5l engine. They should be looking at at least a 2.0l engine which will then compete with the Safari and Scropio at least given the pricing. I hope they dont make this mistake of putting in an engine which struggles to pull the Corolla (Just as reference for engine size) into an SUV!
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:03   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Its a good looking SUV no doubt but if they are going to provide only the 1.5l motor thats going to be too puny for an SUV of this size. Heck even the Innova has a 2.5l engine. They should be looking at at least a 2.0l engine which will then compete with the Safari and Scropio at least given the pricing. I hope they dont make this mistake of putting in an engine which struggles to pull the Corolla (Just as reference for engine size) into an SUV!
The weight of Duster is considerably low compared to the Safari & Scorpio, it is much lighter, and the videos (posted on this thread) that show the off road test make it look like it is a cake walk for the Duster with 1.5 dci unit, I don't think it will be a problem with this unit and 110 bhp power.
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:19   #312
BHPian

Quote:
The weight of Duster is considerably low compared to the Safari & Scorpio, it is much lighter, and the videos (posted on this thread) that show the off road test make it look like it is a cake walk for the Duster with 1.5 dci unit, I don't think it will be a problem with this unit and 110 bhp power.
I am not sure if the videos actually show a 1.5l off-roading cos the variants available abroad are the 1.6l non 4WD and 2.0l 4WD. So in all probability its the 2.0l 4WD version doing all the off-roading.
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:01   #313
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if the videos actually show a 1.5l off-roading cos the variants available abroad are the 1.6l non 4WD and 2.0l 4WD. So in all probability its the 2.0l 4WD version doing all the off-roading.
There is no Duster variant available anywhere in the world with a 2L diesel engine. The engine is a 1.5L diesel shared with the Logan with a higher state of tune to produce 110 hp. Thats what helps keep the costs down for Dacia making the Duster such a tempting buy.
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:02   #314
BHPian

oops my bad then.. read somewhere its offered with a 1.5 & 2 l diesel while the petrol is a 1.6l. However, I think they have a 1.5l with a 90 hp and 110 hp. I am guessing they will get the 90hp here as it also has to deliver on Indias famous "Kitna deti hai" attitude!
Old 23rd June 2011, 19:24   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
So this is how the Indian Duster would look like. Thanks to indianautosblog for the article- India-bound Renault Duster breaks cover | Indian Autos blog
Does anybody have the pictures of the interiors that would make it to our shores?
See page 19 of this thread.
Closed Thread