Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 1st October 2011, 19:31   #496
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

I guess this is right. They must get their Sales and Service act together before launching a mass market vehicle.
But I do believe they will be under a lot of pressure with the XUV pricing and I do hope that this leads them to be sensible when introducing the Duster. Again I personally would only buy the Duster if they launch the top spec with 4WD and so on. Also the pricing should be fair - something like 13-14 lacs on road Bangalore.
Anything above this price and they are setting the stage for low sales numbers.
I hope they dont get tempted (as is pretty usual for these Euro chappies), to strip the Duster down completely and launch it at some low price just to get volumes.
I really wish they would make their move quickly as I badly need a small/ compact yet highly functional and tough little beast to drive around anywhere, everywhere and anytime- meaning city and highways and rough roads as a daily driver.
I wonder also if this Ford ECOSPORT will come in on time (as per Autocar Mag) with all the things that I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
It would appear the delay in launching the Duster is because Renault is still getting their act together, in terms of indigenous components. I'm not so sure that they will follow the Koleos pricing strategy, given the fact that model is only assembled here.
Also, an interesting bit of info - the review in Autocar UK (link in the starting page of this thread) states that Renault is expected to launch the RHD version in UK in 2012 and price it below the Ford Fiesta. The RHD version will obviously be exported from the Indian factory.
Even in other markets, low (sensible) pricing has been a key point to their marketing strategy and their success- there is reportedly a four-six month waiting period for the Duster in Germany & France.
Also, the pressure to keep the sticker price low is further increased with the XUV's aggressive price.
In any case we all just are crystal-ball gazing. We need to wait till 2012 & see how this pricing mystery unravels.
Old 1st October 2011, 20:13   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
-- Again I personally would only buy the Duster if they launch the top spec with 4WD and so on. Also the pricing should be fair - something like 13-14 lacs on road Bangalore.
Anything above this price and they are setting the stage for low sales numbers.
I hope they dont get tempted (as is pretty usual for these Euro chappies), to strip the Duster down completely and launch it at some low price just to get volumes.
I really wish they would make their move quickly as I badly need a small/ compact yet highly functional and tough little beast to drive around anywhere, everywhere and anytime- meaning city and highways and rough roads as a daily driver.
I wonder also if this Ford ECOSPORT will come in on time (as per Autocar Mag) with all the things that I want.
In my opinion, the Duster (at least the 2WD) needs to be priced in the sub-Fiesta bracket. After all, it is a sort-of re-skinned Logan on steroids and not exactly a new design or a full-size SUV. Any price close to the Scorp, Safari or XUV will make Duster bite the dust.
Well, even I would be joining the queue of prospective buyers - if these blokes price it right - which I am inclined to believe they will.
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:00   #498
mxx
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
In my opinion, the Duster (at least the 2WD) needs to be priced in the sub-Fiesta bracket. After all, it is a sort-of re-skinned Logan on steroids and not exactly a new design or a full-size SUV. Any price close to the Scorp, Safari or XUV will make Duster bite the dust.
Duster is not just a re-skinned logan. When comparing with other small size soft-roaders/crossover suv, duster is as capable off-road. Infact it is more utilitarian and tough.
Just because it is based on logan platform does not mean it is the same logan on stilts.
Old 2nd October 2011, 11:11   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, the pressure to keep the sticker price low is further increased with the XUV's aggressive price.
A Yeti variant with a smaller diesel motor is expected soon. That should put the squeeze on the Duster positioning. The compact SUV segment seems to be hotting up!
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:19   #500
Team-BHP Support

Was going through Autocar article. They seem to claim, Duster won't come to
India in a AWD/4WD version at all. It will be only 2WD version, that would come to India.

Considering the fact Renault plans to export Duster, from here, this thought process does not seem logical to me at all.
Old 4th October 2011, 04:08   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Was going through Autocar article. They seem to claim, Duster won't come to
India in a AWD/4WD version at all. It will be only 2WD version, that would come to India.

Considering the fact Renault plans to export Duster, from here, this thought process does not seem logical to me at all.
I guess there is chance that 4WD is manufactured in India only for exports. It doesnt make sense though.

Given the criticality of pricing in India the strategy is probably to launch 2WD for mass market.
Old 4th October 2011, 06:22   #502
Senior - BHPian

clearly they are attempting to break in to the value focussed market by giving the 2WD avatar and pricing it at the same level as the current best sellers Scorpio and Safari.
however, with XUV having come in and shaken up things I guess they may consider the 4WD too at 13-14 on road as an alternative to both XUV and the de-tuned 110BHP Yeti which is also planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
I guess there is chance that 4WD is manufactured in India only for exports. It doesnt make sense though.

Given the criticality of pricing in India the strategy is probably to launch 2WD for mass market.
Old 4th October 2011, 08:41   #503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
clearly they are attempting to break in to the value focussed market by giving the 2WD avatar and pricing it at the same level as the current best sellers Scorpio and Safari.
however, with XUV having come in and shaken up things I guess they may consider the 4WD too at 13-14 on road as an alternative to both XUV and the de-tuned 110BHP Yeti which is also planned.
That is true. XUV pricing has shaken up quite a lot of things.
If Renault was not planning top end, they now need to!

The 110BHP Yeti, as per Auto Car article says is a detuned 2L engine.
That was also a surprise. I thought they would plonk in the 1.6LD serving the Vento.
Old 4th October 2011, 09:11   #504
BHPian

I am still hoping the 2WD would be in the price range of Xylo E4 or E6 at max and the 4WD in the range of Scorpio. Believe these would be the true competitors for the Duster.

If 2WD is priced anything above 9Lac is just going to mean, people like me who are not into off roading and just want a big car to carry that extra luggage and feat five more comfortably would be left disappointed.

I strongly believe Renault can easily price the Duster in that price range, given they are localizing the car and planning for export from India itslef ...

If the duster is in the price range of current Safari/Scrop/XUV then I dont see why people would bet their money on a new car as opposed to tried and tested Safari's and Scrop's?
Old 4th October 2011, 09:42   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Duster looks like it has been dusted by the XUV at this price. M&M have smartly stolen a march over the Renault boys.
I think the Renault boys might have made a mistake bringing the overpriced Koleos in first when they should have brought in the reasonable Duster instead! So much for this idiotic Top Down strategy! Funny thing is that I read some comments from the Peugeot head too - where he says that Peugeot will also be following the top down strategy! What is it with these Euro chaps? Cant they understand what the bulk of the Indian consumers are looking for?

There is still likely to be a consumer base who want a smaller SUV than the XUV for a daily drive and which smaller SUV is priced reasonably. Only problem is if Renault decide not to launch the 4WD and top spec version. However, having seen the XUV and its pricing I am sure the people at Renault would have sat up and taken notice. I hope they have! This might just be the tipping point for them to bring in their Top Spec Duster at a reasonable price.

This way consumers who want a larger beast can buy the XUV and those who want a smaller vehicle which has all the bells and whistles, finally will receive an alternative to the Yeti.

Anyway the Yeti itself is coming in with a lower powered version but which will also have 4WD etc, so that new version of the Yeti can go head to head with the Duster. The Ford Eco Sport can come along and if they do offer it in 4WD and all bells and whistles this will be the third new player in this new, "loaded" mini SUV segment.

Things sure are getting interesting for the consumers.

I am going to check out this XUV - Ampere - we can pop over there together one of these days and take a call on whether the XUV does indeed fit the bill.
Im only concerned that it might be a tad large - in comparison to my Scorp. And I am actually looking for a more compact SUV rather than a larger one.
I think the Silver shade would be the most anonymous and best suited for our use here. I hope that they are offering the Plum and Black upholstery with the Silver.
Hi Shankar,

The XUV is actually not large at all when you see it in person. In the past few days, I have gone to the showroom 3 times to see it! (actually my closest friend has booked it on my recommendation!). He has booked a W6 variant in Silver colour with Black and Plum interiors - it does look very nice and the especially with the Option kit Alloys and roof rack, cladding it was looking very good.
Length wise, it is as long as any C-class sedan (around 4.5 m) and in width and Height, it is comparable to Outlander.
IMO, the XUV has completely taken the space that Duster was planning to enter and will also eat into the share from a lot of other C-segment sedans and may also hurt some B-segment sedans like New Fiesta, Verna and Vento.
Even the basic W6 variant has a lot more features than these sedans.
You have been a long term Mahindra owner and are in a better position to share on the reliability and service experience, but what I feel is that with the XUV, Mahindra has upped the game in the design in what is expected from other new launches like Duster / Koleos / Ecosport!
If you have not yet seen it in person, please do see and you will truly be shocked by how good a job Mahindra have done with the XUV. In fact when I saw it, I started feeling that my Yeti looks outdated and underequipped!

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 4th October 2011, 12:12   #506
Senior - BHPian

Hey!
thanks a lot!
Yes I actually may have been amongst the first few from the general public to see it. I was called to their consumer feedback session in May 2011 at their Bombay venue.
Even then, as you said the first few thoughts that struck me were Montero/ Outlander etc.
In terms of size, I ve seen it twice at the showrooms already. I havent yet driven it though, which I will, once the wild crowds become less.
In terms of size, it is around 200mm lower than the Scorp. And about 155mm longer than the scorp.
It is also 80mm wider than the scorp.
I like this vehicle a lot no doubt and if I buy one it will be the W8 AWD in silver or gray or amazon green only- and with Plum and Black upholstery.
However, as a daily driver in a crowded place like Bangalore with its perpetual parking woes, I keep wondering will I not be better advised in buying the Yeti Ambiente?
My wife feels the same.
But I am taking her to see and spend time with this XUV tomorrow/ day after to help make a plan.
To me the XUV is bigger than the Scorpio - but not that much. However it is bulkier and hence may be irritating in traffic.
I really want a compact-ish SUV which can serve as my single all purpose vehicle and which I can take anywhere, everywhere, anytime.
At this moment only the Yeti fits the bill and its quality of execution is top class indeed. The fit and finish of the XUV, though much better than anything M&M have ever done before, is still way behind the Yeti.
the Duster is going to be more or less the same size as the Yeti - perhaps around 50mm longer, similar height specs and possibly around 30-50mm wider. the Ground clearance of the Duster is 210mm and in comparison the XUV is 200mm and Yeti is 180mm.
However since it is derived from the spacious Logan, one wont feel the lack of interior space overall. Effectively the Duster becomes a less expensive alternative to the Yeti - if it comes in 4WD and all the bells and whistles as per their Euro Spec. If not, then it is a smaller alternative to the Scorpio/ Safari.
So as of now, for me, it is either an XUV or a Yeti. Else I shall have to hold my horses till Duster comes in and then take a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Shankar,

The XUV is actually not large at all when you see it in person. In the past few days, I have gone to the showroom 3 times to see it! (actually my closest friend has booked it on my recommendation!). He has booked a W6 variant in Silver colour with Black and Plum interiors - it does look very nice and the especially with the Option kit Alloys and roof rack, cladding it was looking very good.
Length wise, it is as long as any C-class sedan (around 4.5 m) and in width and Height, it is comparable to Outlander.
IMO, the XUV has completely taken the space that Duster was planning to enter and will also eat into the share from a lot of other C-segment sedans and may also hurt some B-segment sedans like New Fiesta, Verna and Vento.
Even the basic W6 variant has a lot more features than these sedans.
You have been a long term Mahindra owner and are in a better position to share on the reliability and service experience, but what I feel is that with the XUV, Mahindra has upped the game in the design in what is expected from other new launches like Duster / Koleos / Ecosport!
If you have not yet seen it in person, please do see and you will truly be shocked by how good a job Mahindra have done with the XUV. In fact when I saw it, I started feeling that my Yeti looks outdated and underequipped!

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th October 2011 at 12:16.
Old 4th October 2011, 12:25   #507
BHPian

Quote:
However, as a daily driver in a crowded place like Bangalore with its perpetual parking woes, I keep wondering will I not be better advised in buying the Yeti Ambiente?
That is exactly my dilemma. XUV is just tad too big for the roads and traffic in Pune. Parking it daily in my apartment will be a pain.
Old 4th October 2011, 12:52   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey!
thanks a lot!
Yes I actually may have been amongst the first few from the general public to see it. I was called to their consumer feedback session in May 2011 at their Bombay venue.
Even then, as you said the first few thoughts that struck me were Montero/ Outlander etc.
In terms of size, I ve seen it twice at the showrooms already. I havent yet driven it though, which I will, once the wild crowds become less.
In terms of size, it is around 200mm lower than the Scorp. And about 155mm longer than the scorp.
I like this vehicle a lot no doubt and if I buy one it will be the W8 AWD in silver or gray or amazon green only- and with Plum and Black upholstery.
My wife feels the same.
But I am taking her to see and spend time with this XUV tomorrow/ day after to help make a plan.
To me the XUV is bigger than the Scorpio - but not that much. However it is bulkier and hence may be irritating in traffic.
I really want a compact-ish SUV which can serve as my single all purpose vehicle and which I can take anywhere, everywhere, anytime.
At this moment only the Yeti fits the bill and its quality of execution is top class indeed. The fit and finish of the XUV, though much better than anything M&M have ever done before, is still way behind the Yeti.
the Duster is going to be more or less the same size as the Yeti - perhaps around 50mm longer, similar height specs and possibly around 30-50mm wider. the Ground clearance of the Duster is 210mm and in comparison the XUV is 200mm and Yeti is 180mm.
However since it is derived from the spacious Logan, one wont feel the lack of interior space overall. Effectively the Duster becomes a less expensive alternative to the Yeti - if it comes in 4WD and all the bells and whistles as per their Euro Spec. If not, then it is a smaller alternative to the Scorpio/ Safari.
So as of now, for me, it is either an XUV or a Yeti. Else I shall have to hold my horses till Duster comes in and then take a call.
Pardon me for forgetting! I do recall now that you had shared your detailed feedback that you had given to Mahindra for the XUV prototype!
You were one of the lucky few who actually got to see the XUV much before the launch and actually contributed towards the overall Design and quality. I must compliment you too on how it has turned out!

If you ask my honest feedback and comparing the Yeti to the XUV - I would whole heartedly recommend the XUV, (in absence of reliability and long term performance info!) The XUV is much better value for money and should meet many of your key criteria (golf bag test!) and overall space.
I can tell you my experience : When I went to the showroom with my wife and friends, my wife was like, let's sell the Civic and get this immediately! But I delayed her saying that let the performance become proven in a few months and then we will buy. For my friend, he was looking to replace hi Safari immediately (it has been giving tremendous trouble to him in the past 4 years - 2 times engine seizure, Differential failure , suspension failure (twice) etc) and we took the decision to get the XUV for him (should get delivery in 2 months)
What the XUV offers in the overall package, I doubt that the Yeti / Duster / Ford Ecosport will even to be close to achieving even at a 2 lac higher price point!
So go ahead and take the plunge!
Old 4th October 2011, 13:27   #509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was just looking at the Duster Length versus XUV:

Duster : 4,315 (source Wikipedia)
XUVL: 4,585 (source: XUV site)

First I was thinking will 270mm make that big a difference?
Then I thought yes it will make a huge difference, provided Duster gives us a good turning radius.
I checked online and I see this is about 5.6m which is comparable to XUV.

Then yes 270mm reduction in length is a huge positive for city driving from a Duster point of view.
Old 4th October 2011, 13:39   #510
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
If you ask my honest feedback and comparing the Yeti to the XUV - I would whole heartedly recommend the XUV, (in absence of reliability and long term performance info!) The XUV is much better value for money and should meet many of your key criteria (golf bag test!) and overall space.
I can tell you my experience : When I went to the showroom with my wife and friends, my wife was like, let's sell the Civic and get this immediately! But I delayed her saying that let the performance become proven in a few months and then we will buy. For my friend, he was looking to replace hi Safari immediately (it has been giving tremendous trouble to him in the past 4 years - 2 times engine seizure, Differential failure , suspension failure (twice) etc) and we took the decision to get the XUV for him (should get delivery in 2 months)
What the XUV offers in the overall package, I doubt that the Yeti / Duster / Ford Ecosport will even to be close to achieving even at a 2 lac higher price point!
So go ahead and take the plunge!
Totally Agree, the XUV as a total package is unbeatable by the Yeti/ Duster. Yes reliability is in question but we need to show some faith with the maufacturer at times. Besides through there may be some issues the warranty will cover those.

The Why buy a sedan advt of the Freelander (and earlier of the Xylo) seems most apt for the XUV.

Yeti with auto could still make sense but inspite of better quality the XUV tops it and can be expected to be a run away success. Those planning to buy later may have to wait for deliveries. Ofcourse one never knows but that is what my gut feel tells me.

Shankar get the XUV 4X4- liked your colour choise as well. Have seen it in person and yes the black and plum interiors (a copy of the Aria colour scheme does look the best with some exterior colours.)
Closed Thread