Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th November 2011, 23:13   #616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian
I have a slightly different take on this. The initial 3 products introduced by Renualt can be labelled as premium products (if we compare then with the other cars in that segment). Renault never expected these products to bring in the sales figures, but they wanted to showcase their technological might & also gauge the market response. They wanted to buy this time to expand their dealer network. Carlos Ghosn, as we all know, is a very shrewd CEO & he wanted to build the supporting infrastructure & spread awareness about the Renault brand (don't we see the print ads in newspapers these days where Renault mentions that they are the engine suppliers to the Work Champion Red Bull Racing Team). When the ground is set launch the mass marker product, the Duster. He also knows that India is a very price sensitive market & he cannot afford to price the Duster too ambitiously.
:-)
No doubt Carlos Ghosn is an able CEO. He turned around Japan's #2 carmaker- Nissan.

But please let's not bring him into Duster's pricing. He might be the person deciding Renault's product line for each country, but I seriously doubt if he is involved in the pricing.

Do note that Sergio Marchionne is also a very able CEO, but we all know how Fiat is doing in India !! Can we fingerpoint him for their mess in India? Probably not because Fix It Again Tony (FIAT)'s first priority is a decent re- entry into the US market (now that they have turned around Chrysler).

Anyways, it's a known fact that Renault is not a premium brand in India. They can bring any number of overpriced products. If those end up as duds, Logan will continue to be renault's brand recall.
Old 10th November 2011, 07:21   #617
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

Renault is a common mans brand outside India. The Koleos, despite being positioned as a high premium car, still looks and feels rather Korean in nature - not so far out considering it is the same as the Samsung QM7 more or less. Its list price of 29 lacs on road Bangalore is too stupidly over-priced. It doesnt warrant that kind of price under any circumstances.

Ten years ago when Skoda launched they came in successfully with a top down strategy. it is a known fact that skoda was looked down upon in western europe. however, they impressed most people in India with their superb engines, good FE, great solid european build quality, general styling and so on. as a first mover they were able to corner a significant slice of the market in the segments they were operating in! heck, ten years ago if someone bought a skoda octy, he was considered to be a rather well off chap - in those times many of us fellows were running about in Maruti Esteems and Ford Ikons and Santros and the like! also ten years ago a relatively lower number of Indians were really well travelled and/or knowledgeable. now on account of the easy access to travel and the hugely increased penetration and access of the internet, today Indians are extremely aware of whats happening worldwide.

Hence, we are unable to digest repeat performances of this top down strategy adopted by VW, Renault and others which are otherwise known to be common people's cars outside.

Incidentally even the Ssangyong Mahindra strategy will probably be similar to this top down business - but the Korando and Rexton are generally cheap cars outside India. Yet, when they come here, we will be forced to pay some fat premia to buy them.

But M&M has I think, read the market needs very well and executed things very well indeed by offering so much, for a reasonable price, through their XUV500. These are very good signs that the market is indeed maturing and manufacturers are slowly realizing that they need to offer great value at a great price, to be able to garner consumer confidence and greater sales.

The BMW Mini is a cult vehicle and certainly highly affordable outside India (say 10K pounds in the UK). So is the Land Rover freelander2 at about 23000-25000 Pounds in the UK. However, here we would be paying about 44 lacs for the base variant of the latter and probably about 25 lacs for the base variant of the former! Quite ridiculous indeed.

By contrast, the top spec Skoda Yeti costs about 27500 Euros in Europe. Here it is about 21 lacs on road and there is always some kind of discount happening. This kind of pricing is not so bad really, considering!

In general, going by most manufacturer's top down strategy, it seems that some brand manager or marketing manager in these big companies is trying his/ her best to milk this market as much as possible before a larger proportion of the consumers become more aware. There still appears to be some potential here for this kind of behaviour because India is definitely a "poser" market and at the same time a "value focussed" one. A contradiction in terms no doubt, but our market dynamics are totally weird and difficult to predict from any marketeer's perspective.

As and when the market continues to mature, things will change. But until then, if we choose to own these cars, I guess we shall have to pay the price! End state is that those who want to pose, will pay and buy these cars at the asking prices and those who are value focussed and utility oriented, will vote with their feet and wallets in the opposite direction.

Another set of clear signs of a maturing and competitive market are these new thoughts from manufacturers - Ford EcoSport at about 9 lacs, Renault Duster at about 9 lacs, Skoda Rapid, Vento, Honda Brio, Jazz re-priced, City price drop etc etc etc.

To end on a positive note, overall it seems to be a good time for consumers and long may this trend continue!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 09:44   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
ten years ago if someone bought a skoda octy, he was considered to be a rather well off chap - in those times many of us fellows were running about in Maruti Esteems and Ford Ikons and Santros and the like! also ten years ago a relatively lower number of Indians were really well travelled and/or knowledgeable. now on account of the easy access to travel and the hugely increased penetration and access of the internet, today Indians are extremely aware of whats happening worldwide.
Those on this Forum, yes, but the vast majority of the market is still extremely unaware and ill-informed.
Many of my friends were under the perception that Volkswagen is a premium brand, because it's German.
There are many more informed Indian's nowadays than there were 10 years ago. Just not enough.

Quote:
But M&M has I think, read the market needs very well and executed things very well indeed by offering so much, for a reasonable price, through their XUV500. These are very good signs that the market is indeed maturing and manufacturers are slowly realizing that they need to offer great value at a great price, to be able to garner consumer confidence and greater sales.
Kudos to M&M, the XUV500 is a truly superb product, and possibly the first Indian car to be able to truly compete toe-to-toe with foreign brands in terms of performance and technology.
GTO himself stated in his review of the XUV500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
P.S. : As a diehard Fortuner lover, and someone who termed the Fortuner as "the best 20 lakh SUV", I have to admit : The XUV owns the T! The only advantages that the Fortuner has are reliability (that's a biggie), offroad capability and better 3rd row / luggage space. In all other areas, the XUV is far superior...be it ride quality, handling, interiors (not finish, but overall package), equipment and price. A nearly 10 lakh premium is a lot of money for an SUV with rear drum brakes and a stiff ride.
Quote:
The BMW Mini is a cult vehicle and certainly highly affordable outside India (say 10K pounds in the UK). So is the Land Rover freelander2 at about 23000-25000 Pounds in the UK. However, here we would be paying about 44 lacs for the base variant of the latter and probably about 25 lacs for the base variant of the former! Quite ridiculous indeed.
They could have easily priced the MINI at around 15-18 lakh, had they wanted to. At that price, it would have found many takers with those who wanted a Super-premium fun small car. It's a shame, because there is no way a MINI is worth 3-series kinda money.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 10th November 2011 at 09:50.
Old 10th November 2011, 12:48   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Duster is available in countries like Syria, then I fail to understand why is it taking so long for Renault to bring this vehicle to India. Below if the link to the 9 page pdf brochure of Duster.

http://renault.com.sy/CountriesData/...res/Duster.pdf
That is a Left Hand Drive country. No modification required, just transport it and sell it. Here they have to get the RHD version, so that may take time, unless they have already introduced it in UK, SA and Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
More I see Renault's recent actions I feel this is going to be another overpriced dud from them.
That depends on how they see the market. Unfortunately for them the car market has tanked, and it would be extremely optimistic if they expect volumes from an over priced product. Hence I feel they will either delay the launch till better sentiment prevails, else introduce it with rock bottom margins.
Old 10th November 2011, 17:31   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
They need better web managers. The shape of the cars under wrap was confusing from the start. They have clarified that Duster will come to India.
Erm, I think that is exactly what they intend to do with the wrapped up cars in their website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Reason is simple, the Duster does not have an almost flat rear as seen in the under the wraps pic on the website. I might be wrong, but to me it surely does not look like duster in anyway (unless something is cooking in th backgroud, probably a new design ... )
If you guys can recall, the Pulse hatch used to be pictures as a tall, boxy car under cover. Pretty close to the dummy now depicting the Duster. So don't expect new designs or all new SUV in place of the Duster.
Old 13th November 2011, 15:39   #621
BHPian

I had a chance to see this vehicle in dubai motor show yesterday.
Its priced between 47,000 and 59,000 (UAE Dirhams) and for that price it seemed like a good deal.
Its not as spacious as a safari .The interiors though basic seem to be well built.
If Renault can launch it in india at a price of about 10 lakhs than I think it would sell well
Old 13th November 2011, 18:56   #622
Senior - BHPian

excellent piece of info thanks!
please share - in your opinion how does it compare with the Skoda Yeti?

looking forward to your reply

cheers
sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
Its priced between 47,000 and 59,000 (UAE Dirhams) and for that price it seemed like a good deal.
Its not as spacious as a safari .The interiors though basic seem to be well built.
If Renault can launch it in india at a price of about 10 lakhs than I think it would sell well
Old 13th November 2011, 19:47   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only if they offer the same spec and not a cut price variant. I can tell about the Logan, the Indian version has nothing in comparison with the goodies offered in Europe.
Old 14th November 2011, 10:06   #624
BHPian

Duster cannot be compared with Yeti.Yeti is a much better vehicle in terms of build quality and equipment.
From what I could notice , Duster seems to be a better option than a scorpio.(provided you are looking only for a 5 seater)
Old 14th November 2011, 10:33   #625
Senior - BHPian

which is why I keep referring to the Duster as a sort of poor man's Yeti.
yes if it comes in soon at a nice price it will give some stiff competition to the Scorp, Safari and of course the EcoSport etc - ideal for the urban family who want to do some occasional weekending. also very nice indeed as an alternative to a sedan on account of the ground clearance and suv looks which is what we need nowadays in India.

Quote:
Duster cannot be compared with Yeti.Yeti is a much better vehicle in terms of build quality and equipment.
From what I could notice , Duster seems to be a better option than a scorpio.(provided you are looking only for a 5 seater)
Old 14th November 2011, 10:43   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
which is why I keep referring to the Duster as a sort of poor man's Yeti.
yes if it comes in soon at a nice price it will give some stiff competition to the Scorp, Safari and of course the EcoSport etc - ideal for the urban family who want to do some occasional weekending. also very nice indeed as an alternative to a sedan on account of the ground clearance and suv looks which is what we need nowadays in India.
+1 to that. This is exactly what I am looking for. A 5 seater, with loads of luggage space, high ground clearance. A 1.5 or 1.6 litre common rail engine, which has enough grunt for the highway drives, but can also manage decent FE for my daily office commute within city. An XUV, Scorpio or a Safari is too big for my requirements.

I am still wondering why there is a complete vacuum in this segment. Is there no way to confirm before Auto Expo 2012, if the Duster is really coming to India, if yes then when & in what avatar?
Old 14th November 2011, 11:23   #627
Senior - BHPian

yes the duster is definitely coming in. i have this on the best authority possible but dont want to reveal whom and where.
however, what is yet a bit in doubt is whether at all they will bring the 4WD version. also still in doubt is the likely launch - whether March, April, May, June, July or August 2012 is the question.
now with all these buzzes about the Ford EcoSport etc, there is one more similar vehicle for people like us with similar need states.
So take your pick. would you want to wait a bit more or not?
personally Im considering the Yeti because I can get it off the shelf asap.

Quote:
+1 to that. This is exactly what I am looking for. A 5 seater, with loads of luggage space, high ground clearance. A 1.5 or 1.6 litre common rail engine, which has enough grunt for the highway drives, but can also manage decent FE for my daily office commute within city. An XUV, Scorpio or a Safari is too big for my requirements.

I am still wondering why there is a complete vacuum in this segment. Is there no way to confirm before Auto Expo 2012, if the Duster is really coming to India, if yes then when & in what avatar?
Old 14th November 2011, 11:25   #628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Duster is confirmed for sure. Versions are not known. My take is we wont see the AWD.
Why Vacum? That what I have been wondering for the last 2-3 years!

But looks like 2012 would be that tipping point, where we would see Duster, Ecosport and the stripped Yeti, all around the same time.

Also hope that would make other guys ponder and throw in their options!
RAV4 ? RVR?

But lets stick to Duster discussions. Sorry for that OT.
Old 14th November 2011, 13:03   #629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes the duster is definitely coming in. i have this on the best authority possible but dont want to reveal whom and where.
however, what is yet a bit in doubt is whether at all they will bring the 4WD version. also still in doubt is the likely launch - whether March, April, May, June, July or August 2012 is the question.
now with all these buzzes about the Ford EcoSport etc, there is one more similar vehicle for people like us with similar need states.
So take your pick. would you want to wait a bit more or not?
personally Im considering the Yeti because I can get it off the shelf asap.
Well I can wait till the end of 2012 for a decent 5 seater SUV, but want to be damn sure that I would get one by that time. Yeti no doubt is a very good car, but for me it is way beyond my budget. I is very difficult for me to stretch beyond 10 lacs OTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Duster is confirmed for sure. Versions are not known. My take is we wont see the AWD.
Why Vacum? That what I have been wondering for the last 2-3 years!

But looks like 2012 would be that tipping point, where we would see Duster, Ecosport and the stripped Yeti, all around the same time.

Also hope that would make other guys ponder and throw in their options!
RAV4 ? RVR? .
Very true & I really hope that by 2012 we should have at least 2 options, if not more. I am fine with a FWD
Old 14th November 2011, 13:58   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Pictures man. Please share some images. Was it the facelifted version?
Closed Thread