Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th November 2011, 15:00   #631
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

well for most of us it is a bit of a stretch but sometimes the really good things in life are worth stretching for. thats my take anyway.
and I have been patiently saving for this every month for some months now so I think I might steel myself and take the plunge sometime soon.
for me its either buying a 4-5 year old second hand upper end SUV cash down outright OR buying a new Yeti and personally I somehow prefer buying new if possible.

lets see - from concept to execution there's always some pitfalls to be avoided or jumped over!
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Well I can wait till the end of 2012 for a decent 5 seater SUV, but want to be damn sure that I would get one by that time. Yeti no doubt is a very good car, but for me it is way beyond my budget. I is very difficult for me to stretch beyond 10 lacs OTR.

Very true & I really hope that by 2012 we should have at least 2 options, if not more. I am fine with a FWD

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th November 2011 at 15:01.
Old 14th November 2011, 20:39   #632
BHPian

I saw a Duster in Delhi this saturday morning, like around 6.45 am near the Barapulla flyover. We were heading towards each other on different sides of the road, but I could steal enough of a glance to tell it was a DUSTER. The nameplate on the rear door confirmed it also. Regretfully, I couldn't click any photos (lost my iPhone and am using a piece of junk right now).

Impression: The car doesn't look all spectacular but it warrants a glance nonetheless. In black it looked quite nice I must say. If thats the one coming to our shores, I predict a heavy Duster shower in the market.
prateekpsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 20:57   #633
BHPian

Autocar review of the Dacia Duster. Searched the last 20 pages of this thread and did not find it. So Link below of the review

I do not want to spend anything more than 9 lac OTR for the top of the line variant for this. But this is just my opinion. It is built on Logan platform and the interiors remind me the Logan including the power window switches.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 21:00   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekpsingh View Post
I saw a Duster in Delhi this saturday morning, like around 6.45 am near the Barapulla flyover. We were heading towards each other on different sides of the road, but I could steal enough of a glance to tell it was a DUSTER. The nameplate on the rear door confirmed it also. Regretfully, I couldn't click any photos (lost my iPhone and am using a piece of junk right now).
Good one, I guess this is one of the first Duster sightings on our shores. Very sad to know that you could not capture any pics. Never mind, next time carry some good camera when you pass through the same area

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekpsingh View Post
Impression: The car doesn't look all spectacular but it warrants a glance nonetheless. In black it looked quite nice I must say. If thats the one coming to our shores, I predict a heavy Duster shower in the market.
Other than the looks, how was it driving? Was it zipping or being driven sedately?
Old 14th November 2011, 21:08   #635
BHPian

It looked quite planted with minimalistic body roll if thats what you meant (was doing 60 kmph tops at that time, couldn't have gone faster as it was nearing a turn of sorts).

Lemme assure everyone again, if its the one i saw then it is gonna be a delight. Its not a Endeavour -ish imposing SUV or as butch as T-Fort but it WILL hold its own.
Old 20th November 2011, 12:14   #636
Senior - BHPian

Further news on the Duster --> The latest news regarding Duster is that the company has launched the LPG variant of the same in Europe. All details in the link below:

Renault Duster Low Cost SUV LPG Variant Launched In Europe-Will It Come To India?
Old 20th November 2011, 14:39   #637
Senior - BHPian

If there is no 4 wheel drive - at least the on-demand type, then what's the purpose of buying one? I heard even the Ford Ecosport will be without a 4 wheel drive. Looks like there will not be any good options below 10L for a good 5 seater vehicle with jungle road capability. I dont want a rock climber, but the vehicle should be able to take a bit of monsoon slush and be able to handle small rock strewn trails. hmmm...the wait continues
Old 20th November 2011, 14:42   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli
If there is no 4 wheel drive - at least the on-demand type, then what's the purpose of buying one? I heard even the Ford Ecosport will be without a 4 wheel drive. Looks like there will not be any good options below 10L for a good 5 seater vehicle with jungle road capability. I dont want a rock climber, but the vehicle should be able to take a bit of monsoon slush and be able to handle small rock strewn trails. hmmm...the wait continues
Most Indians buy a SUV for space, road presence and ground clearance. So possibly not a big enough market to justify bringing 4x4 options.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2011, 15:00   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Most Indians buy a SUV for space, road presence and ground clearance. So possibly not a big enough market to justify bringing 4x4 options.
Agreed. But for the very small percentage of people, at least an option with 4WD or AWD would be much appreciated.
thalavoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2011, 15:59   #640
Senior - BHPian

now that the Scorpio LX has also come with 4WD and I believe even the lower spec Safari has also come with 4WD, I hope the Renault boys wake up and bring in their top spec Duster with 4WD and all bells and whistles!
it would be a smaller but still worthy competitor to the XUV500 and top end Scorpio and Safari. Indeed as I ve often said, it would be a lovely "Yeti" type vehicle for the value conscious person.
Old 20th November 2011, 22:05   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
now that the Scorpio LX has also come with 4WD and I believe even the lower spec Safari has also come with 4WD, I hope the Renault boys wake up and bring in their top spec Duster with 4WD and all bells and whistles!
Your wish may soon become true Shankar, if one has to believe the article on Duster published by Motoroids today. As per them the SUV will hopefully be available in 42 and 44 configuration and will be propelled by the 1.5-liter (K9K) diesel engine.

Here is the link --> Coming Soon : Renault Duster

The good news of India launch (along with some other countries) is confirmed on Renault website:

Renault.com - Renault Duster

Revealed at the 2011 Buenos Aires Motor Show, Renault Duster is manufactured in the Curitiba plant (Brazil) and appeared on the Brazilian and Argentinian markets in October of the same year. Then it should spread across other South American markets.

This car will also be manufactured in the SOFASA plant (Colombia).

Renault Duster will be soon available in Russia, Ukraine, the Middle East (Jordan, Syria, Lebanon), India and some African countries (Egypt).
Old 20th November 2011, 22:21   #642
Senior - BHPian

But I'm now going with a new Yeti Elegance instead. Enough of waiting!
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Your wish may soon become true Shankar, if one has to believe the article on Duster published by Motoroids today. As per them the SUV will hopefully be available in 42 and 44 configuration and will be propelled by the 1.5-liter (K9K) diesel engine.

Here is the link --> Coming Soon : Renault Duster

The good news of India launch (along with some other countries) is confirmed on Renault website:

Renault.com - Renault Duster

Revealed at the 2011 Buenos Aires Motor Show, Renault Duster is manufactured in the Curitiba plant (Brazil) and appeared on the Brazilian and Argentinian markets in October of the same year. Then it should spread across other South American markets.

This car will also be manufactured in the SOFASA plant (Colombia).

Renault Duster will be soon available in Russia, Ukraine, the Middle East (Jordan, Syria, Lebanon), India and some African countries (Egypt).
Old 21st November 2011, 10:18   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Cheers!

Woah! I guess the wait was really too long for ya!

Well, do let us know how your experience is with the Skoda sales people, etc, etc. I'm still a bit concerned about the Skoda reputation for after sales service, else I would also be considering the Yeti.

So, I am still willing to wait a bit longer to find out what the Duster and Ecosport will look like for us.

Since I have owned both Renaults and Fords before, I guess I have a soft spot for them!
Old 21st November 2011, 14:51   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Cheers!
Me too planning to buy it shortly. If you are interested, we can try to go in a group. If so, pm me and we can speak over it.

Cheers,
Sid
Old 21st November 2011, 15:54   #645
Senior - BHPian

i have sent you an email via gmail as well as connected you up for the Yeti purchase.
we are already in a group!
cheers
sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailtosid View Post
Me too planning to buy it shortly. If you are interested, we can try to go in a group. If so, pm me and we can speak over it.

Cheers,
Sid
Closed Thread