Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 31st August 2005, 15:37   #31

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster

Shuvc, Amitkavi, typeone, sandeepmdas what do you think you wanna help with?

Honestly, i just did it as a thought.. but now that so many of you seem interested... maybe we can do something. Post in. It's turning out to be something exciting. What about the others?

Revv
Well as far as getting the problems faced by dealers from FIAT are concerned, I can speak with my dealer who I bought the Palio from earlier this month. I can also float a query on the Palio User Group on Yahoo Groups regarding which part of ASS was most dissatisfying, feel free to suggest if these are mundane things and if better help can be provided.

This is good initiative at BHP and I will do what is required to make the right impact. My other car is a Ikon and I have similar problems but thats really a dealership problem and not the entire FORD ASS problem since other dealers have a great ASS in Pune.
amitkavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 15:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Revv, I will post my 2 cents tomorrow. Need time to think something fruitful. TypeOneg's idea seems good though, for a start...
sandeepmdas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 15:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

I had pitched in with a few suggestions to Fiat from my side when Niki Desai was the Marketing Manager of Fiat India. Niki had got back to me with some answers and that was it. Further communication from my side went unanswered.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 15:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure, but Rishi Kapoor was supposed to meet Mr. Castagna and give him a presentation on behalf of PUG. Don't know its final status, but if something is already done in that direction, we should get PUG (Palio User Group) involved as well.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 15:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Rishi hasn't had a chance to talk to Mr. Castagna yet. I am following messages on PUG and there wasn't any communication from Rishi in this regard yet.
Old 31st August 2005, 16:05   #36
BANNED

Thumbs up Fiat to revive India operations

http://inhome.rediff.com/money/2005/aug/31fiat.htm

Terming India as a strategic market, struggling auto-maker Fiat on Wednesday said it has set a 12-month period for effecting a major restructuring of its operations, including the dealer and service networks, following which it would look at new launches in the market.
"India is a strategic market for Fiat and we will take all measures to make it profitable for us," Paolo Castagna, managing director, Fiat India said.

The company, which has been in a near-crisis situation following a massive decline in sales and under-utilisation of installed capacity, has of late been taking measures to boost its fortunes in India.

The measures include a new head for the company with the entry of Castagna in June and induction of Indians in the top management positions.

"We are taking a long-term view of the market and hope to turn around the current position," he said.

Elaborating on the 12-month strategy, he said that apart from "rationalising" the dealer and service network of the company, the company would also make efforts to revamp the 'Brand Fiat' in the consumers' mind.

"We are concentrating from the commercial side... restructuring and deepening relations with the dealer," Castagna said.

Sales for the company, which has an annual capacity of about 60,000 units at its Kurla plant in Mumbai, have fallen to as low as 100-150 units.

Fiat has invested close to Rs 2,000 crore (Rs 20 billion) in its Indian operations and had seen a massive surge in sales when it launched the Palio a few years back.

Last edited by hasopi : 31st August 2005 at 16:14.
hasopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 16:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Now take this.............

================================================== ======================
Fiat looks at revival in a year's time: MD

MUMBAI: Terming India as a strategic market, struggling auto manufacturer Fiat on Wednesday said it has set a 12-month period for effecting a major restructuring of its operations, including the dealer and service networks, following which it would look at new launches in the market.

"India is a strategic market for the company and we will take all measures to make it profitable for us," Fiat India Managing Director Paolo Castagna told PTI here.

The company, which has been in a near-crisis situation following a massive decline in sales and under utilisation of installed capacity, has of late been taking measures to boost its fortunes in India.

The measures include a new head for the company with the entry of Mr Castagna in June and induction of Indians in the top management positions.

"We are taking a long-term view of the market and hope to turn around the current position," he said.

Elaborating on the 12-month strategy, he said that apart from 'rationalising' the dealer and service network of the company, the company would also make efforts to revamp the 'Brand Fiat' in the consumers' mind.

"We are concentrating from the commercial side... restructuring and deepening relations with the dealer," he said.

The sales for the company, which has an annual capacity of about 60,000 units at its Kurla plant here, have fallen to as low as 100-150 units.

Fiat has invested close to Rs 2,000 crore in its Indian operations and had seen a massive surge in sales when it launched the Palio a few years back. - PTI
================================================== ======================

Dont ask me about the authenticity of this news because I got it from one of the posts in PUG today.
Old 31st August 2005, 16:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

Revvmaster, I'm not really sure what I can do. Don't own a Palio or Siena/Petra, so I'm not a customer. I WOULD have been one, if not for the question mark over the company's future. If you find you need anything, please let me know. I'd like to help a good car get rid of a bad image.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 16:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

Okay. What do we do first?

Do we jump in and tell Fiat what to do and what not to? Or should we first just meet them, introduce ourselves and hear their part of the story? Get the manufacturer's perspective too? And why just Fiat? People in Delhi can introduce Team-BHP to Maruti etc.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 16:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
Looks like Rishi hasn't had a chance to talk to Mr. Castagna yet. I am following messages on PUG and there wasn't any communication from Rishi in this regard yet.

But according to Rishi Kapoor and prkothan, Kapoor managed to meet the top Fiat man. They posted this in reply to my post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...0&page=2&pp=15 (Bye-Bye to Fiat)

@RevvMaster, I am also not a Fiat owner, but I dont think that is a drawback.
Several of my friends and relatives own Fiats. Secondly, I would love to see them turning around and flourish...
sandeepmdas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 16:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas
@RevvMaster, I am also not a Fiat owner, but I dont think that is a drawback.
Several of my friends and relatives own Fiats. Secondly, I would love to see them turning around and flourish...
Well said Sandeep.

It's not just Fiat. I would love to see more Lancers on the road for instance. It is not right that we have very few dominant players in the industry otherwise we will all be taken for a ride just like Maruti and every other automobile manufacturer before the liberalization started.
Old 31st August 2005, 16:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

I think, and these are just some suggestions we can work on.

1. How about Fiat becoming a niche player. Sell lesser cars, allow other manufacturers to use their idle facilities for production for a fee (ala Maruti, Skoda who are suffering capacity constraints.. just like HM). In short contract manufacturing.

2. Focus these small speciality of cars on enthusiasts. For instance, develop the 1.6 GTX further, portray the Adventure as a lifestyle vehicle. Get the Multipla as a sensibile family vehicle. Produce cars that have definite markets, no serious competitors and stick to these niches.

3. Use viral marketing. Yes, that's the future of advertising and marketing as we speak. Using mediums other than the competition helps.

4. Reduce dealerships, increase quality levels of both vehicles as well as service. Make FIAT owners feel special. This in-itself will draw owners of cars belonging to other manufacturers onto the FIAT bandwagon.

5. Hold track days. Hire Sriperemebudur once in a while. Let owners get on with their cars. Let them show their modifications. Let them get even with their cars. Let them feel that FIAT really cares about them. Sometimes modifiers have better tips to give to engineering departments than what emnates from the department itself.

You guys can come up with more ideas as well. Once they are up, we can try and segregate and put them forward into sections and possibly as well, present them to FIAT. I have never myself owned a FIAT product, but i truly feel sorry for them. They really need direction, once they have it, they can do wonders. And honestly, this is Fiat's last ditch effort from what it all seems. Some out of the box thinking is all it takes sometimes to solve the most complex of situations/problems.

Revv
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 17:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

I appreciate the idea of a Fiat becoming a niche player. But which niche will it operate in? Fiat products currently straddle two segments - one for hatches, one for entry level 3 box cars. What differentiates them from the others?

It failed, IMHO, to project it's products at life style products. And in all probability it was the bad image that Fiat got for poor F.E. that did them in than the oft quoted A.S.S. The customer segment that is going in for the Swift and the Getz right now had to be tapped much earlier by some clevermarketing which Fiat was not able to do.

Revv, I really like your points 2 and 5. Have not studied about Viral marketing so I cannot comment. But yes, if one wants to project a Fiat as a lifestyle product then maybe it will help. Will come up with some points over the next few days.

P.S. Have you cleared your inbox?
Old 31st August 2005, 17:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Yep typeone.. u can PM me right away.

Revv
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 18:06   #45
DRC
BHPian

Count me in too for the noble cause..

Reading through the ideas, let me thow in my 2cents
To start with, meeting the Fiat and helping them understand people love their product but afraid of buying them would help.
Among the other suggestion, need to tell them to compete which they never tried. products in india don't sell by themselves. You need to market, identify the comp and tell everyone why one should buy their product.

Selling the same car in different names, introducing, re introducing and re-re-introducing would rather damage the brand image, though the products are good.

Introduce newer products to compete, I repeat, compete in the market. You may not always win the competition, but competing will boost the sales.

Looking back, they had veru good ad ideas, and brand ambassadors, which were like their factory, under utilized. make them better, make them heard...

Honestly, Italians may not even know these, may be directed by some mafiosa, (try dawood Ibrahim as brand ambassador)
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote