Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st September 2005, 15:39   #61
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
@DRC, Fiat India first has to fight for its survival and then think about the number 1 spot. Low aim is crime, but unrealistic aim is blunder. Let Fiat India get the numbers churning first. Fiat can not stop Maruti from producing JTD, but they can't hope to survive unless it matchs with its own JTD cars. I am sure, Hyundai will have similar plans.
100% agreement, compete means also identify the competetion. Fiat should know where they stand and whom to compete with. Not with Maruti for sure , They have to crawl for a life time.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2005, 09:16   #62
BANNED

Thumbs up TATA & FIAT fans lets handshake!

Today in TOI, front page..talks about alliance of FIAT with TATA (though its not disclosed..its been given as a leader in commercial vehicles & novice in passenger car).

Lets handshake & welcome TAFI or FITA

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1217402.cms

Last edited by hasopi : 2nd September 2005 at 09:20.
hasopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2005, 09:43   #63
BANNED

Thumbs up Some more revival news

http://www.agencyfaqs.com/news/stori.../02/12532.html

Paolo Castagna, who took
over as the managing director of Fiat India Ltd in March this year, has embarked on a plan to revive the company.

The plan includes launch of new products - most likely Idea and Panda - a possible shift of a part of the manufacturing from Mumbai's Kurla complex to Ranjengaon near Pune, beefing up the dealer network and after sales service, giving a bigger role to Indians in the management and re-establishing consumer confidence.

Castagna, armed with Rs 200 crore that recently came as additional capital, has told the government that Fiat remains committed to India in the long term. Conceding that the company's focus on India had become diluted in the last two years because of internal issues in its Italian parent company, Castagna has set a goal of increasing the company's share of the 1 million units a year India market to at least 5-7 per cent.

He admitted that its current sales of under 500 a month were not good enough for him to even calculate the current market share.

Stating that Fiat India had the option of introducing any of the several models in Fiat's global portfolio, including the new Punto, Castagna said tests for Idea and Panda had been positive.

The new products are likely to be produced at Fiat's Ranjengaon factory, which now just has buildings and no machinery or tools. Shifting at least a part of the production to the second factory will save costs and improve supplies. Ranjengaon is an industrial belt dotted with automotive component suppliers, has cheaper labour than Mumbai and there is no octroi in Pune.

"We end up paying an average 4.5 per cent as octroi on components and get no concessions in sales tax etc in spite of having invested over Rs 2,000 crore in the Kurla plant," he said.

Acknowledging that Indians in the management were ready to handle more responsibilities, Fiat India has just replaced expatriats by Indians in the key positions of chief financial officer, head of production and head of manufacturing. This leaves Castagna as the only expat in the company.
hasopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2005, 09:49   #64
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, (On 2 Sept) Fiat India's future looks 10 times more promising than of 15th of this August....

"If this deal comes through, Fiat will have to concede ground and share the stage with a company that sells only one fiftieth the number of cars Fiat sells worldwide. "
(from the ToI article)

Interesting statement, right? An e.g. of:
-typical Indian inferiority complex ? (thank god, the Tatas are born without it...)
-confirmation of the famous Pele statement ("Its goals, and not name and fame, that win matches for you")?

In any case I am going to watch the top Fiat man very keenly..and I think I am not the only one doing so...
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2005, 11:27   #65
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasopi
Today in TOI, front page..talks about alliance of FIAT with TATA (though its not disclosed..its been given as a leader in commercial vehicles & novice in passenger car).

Lets handshake & welcome TAFI or FITA

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1217402.cms
This is really good news especially for people like me. I was weighing the options of going for the new Indigo SX or the Petra ELX. Now I can get the best looking & performing car (ELX) and one of the best networked service(TATA). Peace of mind before putting my money.

Last edited by Scorp72 : 2nd September 2005 at 11:29.
Scorp72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2005, 12:02   #66
Senior - BHPian

Its good that I held back. Nice news to start off the day with. Now it kind of starts making sense. Pull out the Indigo Petrol, persist with the Petra EL/ELX. Upgrade the look and feel of the current Indigo diesels and for heaven's sake get that JTD engine. Imagine the Dicor with one. Scorpios will now have a tough time too.

One more thing - the premium segment. What comes here? Alfa Romeos and Ferarris? The Croma? Hmmm. Things are going to get very very interesting if the deal with the Tatas goes through.

But lets all still wait and watch. Fiat will just be a way for Tata to learn more. What about Tata taking over Fiat worldwide in say 5 years?

Last edited by typeOnegative : 2nd September 2005 at 12:03.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2005, 17:06   #67
Senior - BHPian

Service network needs massive impreovement. Guess what, there are only 2 authoized dealerships / service centers in entire Andhra Pradesh. One of them is new and no proper infrastructure.

Have service centers in all small towns, major towns and cities. Atleast couple of Fiat trained mechanics in a local workshop in case it's not worth starting an authorized servicing center in small towns.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2005, 18:50   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative

But lets all still wait and watch. Fiat will just be a way for Tata to learn more. What about Tata taking over Fiat worldwide in say 5 years?
1 company knows how to make a great car - the other company is great at selling an ordinary one. together, they can be a force to reckon with - i wait for long term developments with bated breadth...
cream is offline   Reply With Quote