Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th January 2010, 13:28   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VbA

P.S. - I read in 'Autocar' that it will be priced in 11-12 Lakhs category ... which is not acceptable for a Tata product and especially when people are alrady suggesting a few improvements ...

Now if I were a prospective buyer of Aria, I would be really worried if they priced it below the top end Safari, for it would mean the quality / reliability of components could be compromised.

Last edited by VINUMON : 7th January 2010 at 13:29.
Old 7th January 2010, 13:39   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
None of the taveras or innovas which I have seen which are used as a transport vehicle had ABS or Airbags , unless they are hired by big hotels or companies.
Exactly. If that's what it is then why don't we see Sumo Grande selling more then Xylo?

IMO its just because Xylo has all the genes of a people mover, mainly the space and looks. Hence well received by the transport guys so does Tavera.
Old 7th January 2010, 13:48   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
IMO Tata is confused with its product line when it comes to people mover.

Sume Grande = Looks like premium vehicle but then does not have things like ABS, Airbags or interior fit and finish neither it has space and simplicity of its competitors. Its competing with likes of Tavera and Xylo which meet the basic requirements of a people mover and hence accepted very well by transport people.

Do they charge for ABS and Airbags? No they dont. The price of Grande is just perfect for the features it offers. I thought Xylo wasnt accepted well. Tavera is bought by taxi fleets becaue of its mileage. Grande looks more polished and hence hasnt caught the imagination and when there are full blown MUV like Innova, Tavera and Xylo, why look for SUVish MUV from any stable let alone TATA.

Aria = Could have very well competed with Innova, Tavera and Xylo, not as an personal vehicle but for transport business. But then Tata wants to place it as an premium vehicle!!
What are you saying my dear friend. You see those interiors and say it could have compteted with Tavera. Can forgive you for comparing it to Xylo and Innova, but tavera ?

TATA Grande without ABS and Airbags doesnt qualify to be a people mover, but ARIA with ABS and Airbags qualify to be a people mover!!!!
Old 7th January 2010, 14:06   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
What are you saying my dear friend. You see those interiors and say it could have compteted with Tavera. Can forgive you for comparing it to Xylo and Innova, but tavera ?

TATA Grande without ABS and Airbags doesnt qualify to be a people mover, but ARIA with ABS and Airbags qualify to be a people mover!!!!
My vote too goes to the Aria. I personally haven't been a big fan of ANY Tata cars, but THIS is going to sell!
Old 7th January 2010, 14:24   #275
Senior - BHPian

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
Friend you got me completely wrong there!!
I was just talking about shape and size of Aria which could have been well accepted by transport guys over Xylo, Tavera and Innova IMO. But since it has all the goodies of a Car/MUV/SUV it will be in a segment higher then that of Xylo, Tavera and Innova which leaves Sumo Grande, which doesn't have the feel of people mover, to compete with the trio!!

Let me put it this way. I expected TATA to launch a MUV which can unsettle age old Tavera, ugly Xylo and surprise Innova.
Old 7th January 2010, 14:53   #276
VbA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINUMON View Post
Now if I were a prospective buyer of Aria, I would be really worried if they priced it below the top end Safari, for it would mean the quality / reliability of components could be compromised.
Thats true but then it shouldn't be compared with INNOVA, XYLO, Etc. As this would infact be pitted a level above them and after watching the pics of interiors (in 3 different schemes) I hope that the price is justified, just that Tata should put this product forward in a right manner.
Old 7th January 2010, 14:59   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Aria needs to be priced atleast 1 lac below the innova for it to tempt anyone to buy it. Why else would anyone chose it over the rock solid reliability and superb quality that toyota provides.

Being an extremely satisfied Innova (200,000kms run) and Qualis (150,000kms run) owner - i think even a 1 lac difference would not tempt me to go for the Aria. So I think Tata's have a tough fight on their hands with this one.
I own an Innova and share your sentiment but if faced with a decision to buy another MUV I will look and may even buy the Aria as the safety kit is outsanding. I think we all take safety for granted and are famous now world over to be the worst record holder on accident rates with all this safety is my primary concern which I don't get in my Innova (G3 2005) as there was no 2nd row bench seat in V in 2005 so I was forced to by G3, even now top end Innova has 2 airbags and ABS which I sorely miss on my G3!

I also owned the first few lots of the safari for 68k (1998 to 03) and enjoyed the vehicle as I knew what I had paid and what I was getting, she never broke down on me or put me in a dangerorus situation. Lot of people voiced dissatisfaction with safari and most compared it to pajero - there is a saying pay peanuts get monkeys, but the funny thing is 99% had never driven a pajero at best even ridden in one and I can tell you that apart from better initail acclaeration she was no great on refinement and lousy on stability (read scary) with the safari I knew where my money had gone a fantastic suspension for stabilty, contemprary features, massice size, creatrue omfort and highway crusing ( she still sells today). So people have a very skewed view sitting in ghatkopar/khar/guntur comparing Tokyo etc. I have noticed in recent years that Tata is not now all about paenuts and monkey's anymore I would peg them with what koreans did to the japanese in the last 3 decades. In the US we laughed at anyone who owned a Hyundai or Yugo and 15 years later I drive a Hyundai Verna diesel!! Same with Tata they started with cars 12 years ago and my bet is going to be a very good future. Folks like Toyota have become a very gaint brand so they now tend to feel they can dictate the customer and Ghatkopar/khar/guntur have remained where they are but no so it is called competition watch my words The toyota sedan is a hadn me down old generation platform plucked from somewhere else and repackaged and dumped here! Volkswagen is serioue they got in the latest and priced it competitively. I have seen the develop in China and they will get ahead of toyota in india (even toyota indian mgmt thinks so off the record)

Last edited by canonball : 7th January 2010 at 15:16.
Old 7th January 2010, 15:25   #278
Senior - BHPian

The fortuner took 4 years to come (due for a remodel/upgrade as per japanese 6 year cycle).

Last edited by canonball : 7th January 2010 at 15:27.
Old 7th January 2010, 16:05   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
For reference the guy in picture is 6ft 1inch.
thanks a lot for the pics buddy. even i am 6'2" tall & now i am nearly convinced that the innova & xylo is more spacious. there are many possibilities of course. one such case is that maybe in that pic, the front seats were pulled to the extreme rear.

this pic makes it look slightly short on space-
Pics: Tata Motors unveil the Aria (Indicruze) at the Auto Expo 2010. Video: Pg 52-img_1619.jpg

whereas this pic makes it look very spacious-
Name:  IMG_2239.JPG
Views: 3424
Size:  136.5 KB

but that in no way means that the aria is cramped, i am just hoping that the third row is a bit more comfortable than the innova.

i am very very glad to see the second row too gets AC vents on the B pillar. but somehow i feel they are placed a bit too low. the feature list on the aria seems to be long enough that you can easily forget half of them!

i am waiting for a TD or atleast final specifications (performance, FE, cabin space, price) of the vehicle.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 7th January 2010 at 16:11.
Old 7th January 2010, 17:12   #280
Senior - BHPian

post# 249 3rd picture just looks delicious.
I liked the beige wood combi more than the black pinky one.
Only if they launched a lower priced RWD version with auto box.
Old 7th January 2010, 19:57   #281
BHPian

I would , simply because I hate the styling of the innova. Also the features that the Aria offers at this price are not offered by anyone else (if we assume pricing at Innova levels).

Granted that I too have my concerns about the *** and quality , but if Tata is serious enough to put in so much effort into designing and creating these cars from scratch , surely they are not stupid to not know the importance of after sales service and customer satisfaction ?

I dont see why I would not take a chance with such a superb product. Brand name psshaw, this is more bang for my buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Aria needs to be priced atleast 1 lac below the innova for it to tempt anyone to buy it. Why else would anyone chose it over the rock solid reliability and superb quality that toyota provides.

Being an extremely satisfied Innova (200,000kms run) and Qualis (150,000kms run) owner - i think even a 1 lac difference would not tempt me to go for the Aria. So I think Tata's have a tough fight on their hands with this one.
Old 7th January 2010, 21:33   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Friend you got me completely wrong there!!
I was just talking about shape and size of Aria which could have been well accepted by transport guys over Xylo, Tavera and Innova IMO. But since it has all the goodies of a Car/MUV/SUV it will be in a segment higher then that of Xylo, Tavera and Innova which leaves Sumo Grande, which doesn't have the feel of people mover, to compete with the trio!!

Let me put it this way. I expected TATA to launch a MUV which can unsettle age old Tavera, ugly Xylo and surprise Innova.
Friend i understand your point. But then you also need to understand the goodies would be only available at the top end version, while the cabbies canchose the basic version with Power Steering and AC..
Old 7th January 2010, 21:44   #283
BHPian

I feel chrome at front is bit overdone. Sides look classy.
Old 7th January 2010, 21:52   #284
Senior - BHPian

The interior turnout is stunning and so is the attention to details. I really want to see it in person although whatever I have heard of the interiors is very positive quality wise.
Old 7th January 2010, 23:38   #285
Senior - BHPian

Default Tail Lamps

Does the tail lamps looks similar to the first gen Indica, which they later changed to full length in the latest Indica. Most of the new tata models (Indica Vista, Venture etc) got full length tail lamps, i think Aria may look better with full length tail lamp. Then it may look same as Honda CRV from the side.
Closed Thread