Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 15:33   #811
BHPian
 
samyakmodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indore
Posts: 792
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

to be honest it's a great effort from TATA.

The fit and finish of the car looks good. The interiors are totally Range Rover/ LAnd Rover inspired. Though I am not really sure whether I can say I like the way the MUV/SUV/Van/Crossover-ish looks.

They should have thought of doing something better with the grill. Comes out way too LOUD! Design cue definitely is from a bigger - sorry a LOT bigger Indigo Marina. The bonnet looks a bit disproportionate. The tapering roof towards the C-pillar though CR-V inspired looks a bit odd in a vehicle this BIG. The rear looks too xylo-ish boxy!
All in all the exteriors do not look like a single flow design. I still can't forget how GREAT the Indica looked when it was first launched. The ARIA does absolutely nothing to your emotions - atleast not from the outside.
I might be thinking weird, but there is something "not right" with the TATA logo too. The design mind you is excellent. But somehow seeing that on the grill/boot/steering wheel is not hitting the right chords. Maybe it's the size - maybe it brings in lots of memories - maybe they need to re-do it if they are coming out with such premium cars. I think the logo misses out the snob value OR the premium factor of a car in this price bracket.

All in all the car looks quiet promising, and subtle design changes might go a long way in giving the feel good factor.


p.s : doesn't the bonnet remind you of the vista's??
samyakmodi is offline  
Old 5th July 2010, 15:53   #812
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aberdeen, UK
Posts: 1,174
Thanked: 959 Times
Default

I think the Aria looks brilliant. Considering that the 'MPV'ish dimensions of the car, it still looks handsome rather than falling into the usual trap of being all curves and bulk. The wedges and wheel arches give it a more muscular stance. This is something that the latest gen. CRV lost from the previous one. They also made sure the Aria does reflect Tata's design language.

The grille itself sets it apart from the regular innovas/xylos, but the rear end could do with more drama.
shortbread is offline  
Old 5th July 2010, 16:54   #813
A.R
BHPian
 
A.R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 150
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

There's been a lot of discussion on the 'ARIA', actually too much.
One Question: When is it out for purchase?
A.R is offline  
Old 5th July 2010, 18:07   #814
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: God'sowncountry
Posts: 106
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
to be honest it's a great effort from TATA.

I might be thinking weird, but there is something "not right" with the TATA logo too. The design mind you is excellent. But somehow seeing that on the grill/boot/steering wheel is not hitting the right chords. Maybe it's the size - maybe it brings in lots of memories - maybe they need to re-do it if they are coming out with such premium cars. I think the logo misses out the snob value OR the premium factor of a car in this price bracket.

p.s : doesn't the bonnet remind you of the vista's??
I had the same thought when the new logo was launched. At times, I felt that the logo simply looks like the the feet of a man standing in seershasana! Another aspect noticed is that the two distinct lines that make up the T rise up, reach a peak and then diverge apart and move slightly down. Something that does not give a positive feeling. In contrast, look at Maheendra logo. It indicates progress till infinity. Look at Maruti logo, the wings indicate flying above and above and above. All these inspire positive feelings in me. The logos of Honda, Toyota, Hyundai etc. just look neutral to me, may be because they are not indian. (sorry, not hurting anybody, but just telling what I felt; I have great respect for TATAs).
specialist1968 is offline  
Old 5th July 2010, 18:27   #815
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: moving around
Posts: 56
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Thanks for sharing the picture. One of the clearest pictures we've seen on the road. In my opinion, the car looks great.

Did you by any chance hear the engine being fired up?
Yeah the engine had the familiar TATA grunt. It wasn't really as silent as a toyota.
For some reason I liked and disliked the ARIA at the same time. It looks huge & spacious but the front has a touch of the new indica vista.

I liked the wheels and the dual exhaust. Though they could have used 16inches rims.
There was nothing really distinctive about the car.
dragstar is offline  
Old 5th July 2010, 18:29   #816
BHPian
 
anmol2k4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gr. Noida Aka Gurrator Naveda
Posts: 193
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialist1968 View Post
I had the same thought when the new logo was launched. At times, I felt that the logo simply looks like the the feet of a man standing in seershasana! Another aspect noticed is that the two distinct lines that make up the T rise up, reach a peak and then diverge apart and move slightly down. Something that does not give a positive feeling. In contrast, look at Maheendra logo. It indicates progress till infinity. Look at Maruti logo, the wings indicate flying above and above and above. All these inspire positive feelings in me. The logos of Honda, Toyota, Hyundai etc. just look neutral to me, may be because they are not indian. (sorry, not hurting anybody, but just telling what I felt; I have great respect for TATAs).
The logo represents something Indian, the national tree of India. This tree sheltered Buddha while he was meditating and under the very same tree he attained Moksha. Those two lines represent the strong roots which keeps one firmly planted in ground, as you might have noticed that lots of companies regardless of their inspiring logos have disappeared recently or taken over by the government. Thanks to those strong roots, the same group have not only survived this environment but also bought out such companies.
Attached Images
 
anmol2k4 is offline  
Old 5th July 2010, 18:46   #817
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialist1968 View Post
I had the same thought when the new logo was launched. At times, I felt that the logo simply looks like the the feet of a man standing in seershasana! Another aspect noticed is that the two distinct lines that make up the T rise up, reach a peak and then diverge apart and move slightly down. Something that does not give a positive feeling. In contrast, look at Maheendra logo. It indicates progress till infinity. Look at Maruti logo, the wings indicate flying above and above and above. All these inspire positive feelings in me. The logos of Honda, Toyota, Hyundai etc. just look neutral to me, may be because they are not indian. (sorry, not hurting anybody, but just telling what I felt; I have great respect for TATAs).
I too have always felt that the symbolism of the Tata logo is just plain wrong. It shows the two lines diverge at the top -- as if to say this company/ group will go two separate ways in future.

On the other hand, the Mahindra logo converges to a point in the future, as if to say it will all come together.

Slightly off topic, on the subject of Mahindra since I almost booked a Xylo (competitor to Aria -- to try and remain on topic) for my wife, I couldn't for the life in me figure out the following about the Xylo brochure:
  • The brochure is about a fashion photographer and his model. Now the Xylo is obviously a family car since it seats 7/8, why on earth would the Mahindras show a single guy and his muse?

    They should have instead shown a family with kids and grandparents.

    My wife was totally put off by the brochure.
  • There is not a single proper picture showing the Xylo from either the front, side or the rear. All the pictures show the Xylo as part of the landscape.

    The interiors are shown though, but not the dash, as if you buy the Xylo to get the seats.
  • What is with Mahindra and the unnatural shimmer that their vehicles have in the brochures? Mahindra, show me one picture of the thing without any effects added on.
One last gripe: How come the Xylo E8 is only available in Diamond White? I have no idea about these things, but how difficult is it to paint a car in other colours?

I hope Tata doesn't make any of these mistakes with the Aria.
nowwhat? is offline  
Old 5th July 2010, 22:06   #818
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thane
Posts: 81
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I too have always felt that the symbolism of the Tata logo is just plain wrong. It shows the two lines diverge at the top -- as if to say this company/ group will go two separate ways in future.

On the other hand, the Mahindra logo converges to a point in the future, as if to say it will all come together.

Slightly off topic, on the subject of Mahindra since I almost booked a Xylo (competitor to Aria -- to try and remain on topic) for my wife, I couldn't for the life in me figure out the following about the Xylo brochure:
  • The brochure is about a fashion photographer and his model. Now the Xylo is obviously a family car since it seats 7/8, why on earth would the Mahindras show a single guy and his muse?
  • They should have instead shown a family with kids and grandparents.
    My wife was totally put off by the brochure.
  • There is not a single proper picture showing the Xylo from either the front, side or the rear. All the pictures show the Xylo as part of the landscape.
  • The interiors are shown though, but not the dash, as if you buy the Xylo to get the seats.
  • What is with Mahindra and the unnatural shimmer that their vehicles have in the brochures? Mahindra, show me one picture of the thing without any effects added on.
One last gripe: How come the Xylo E8 is only available in Diamond White? I have no idea about these things, but how difficult is it to paint a car in other colours?

I hope Tata doesn't make any of these mistakes with the Aria.

fully agree buddy with you,

I was seeing Xylo website, its full of models allover, hardly any pic of car

and where ever car is show, its just looking too odd with those fancy models

the route taken to communicate advantages of products is not connecting anyway

I would still prefere simple and straight forward approach by Japs in communication
Santy is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 09:12   #819
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,036
Thanked: 386 Times
Default

About the logo yes it is based on Indian ethos and Baniyan tree is the inspiration. To me it looks like a man standing with arms spread wide to embrace and welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragstar View Post
I liked the wheels and the dual exhaust. Though they could have used 16inches rims.
There was nothing really distinctive about the car.
They are using 17 inch wheels any reason why it should be 16 ?
amitk26 is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 09:17   #820
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
since I almost booked a Xylo (competitor to Aria -- to try and remain on topic) for my wife, I couldn't for the life in me figure out the following about the Xylo brochure:
The Xylo is a competitor to the Aria?

No offense mate but I'm ROTFL
suman is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 09:46   #821
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
The Xylo is a competitor to the Aria?

No offense mate but I'm ROTFL
Isn't the Xylo a competitor to the Innova? I am not sure which segment both of them belong to (perhaps the people mover -- MUV segment), but If you look at the number of times the two have been compared on this forum, one would certainly believe so.

The general impression I have is that the Xylo is a poor cousin of the Innova.

Now if Aria is competing with the Innova as well, then doesn't it mean that all three are competing with each other?

What did I say wrong?
nowwhat? is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 10:03   #822
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,156
Thanked: 2,462 Times
Default

Yep Xylo kind off with compete with some version for the Aria, but the differentiator is that the Xylo is a pure people mover and for that matter so is the Innova but the Aira is also a Crossover Vehicle with 4X4 modes, etc, essentially making it something that on the higher end even would compete with the Captiva, CRV, Outlander, Fortuner as well.

It's all about the individuals needs, the Aria does a lot more than is expected of the Xylo, but if all of that is not required by the buyer then he would infact be better off in an Innova or the Xylo.

If one looks at from a certain spec (power then the Captiva and Fortuner are even closer to the Aria than it is to the Innova and the Xylo where the seating config matches in terms of people mover usage.
ACM is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 10:39   #823
BHPian
 
amitk2kin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 100
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Good catch amitk2kin & your photography skills are also good, for your could manage these images while driving ( avoid use of mobile while at the wheel).
Hi Cardeep,

The pic was clicked by my friends sitting next to me, my focus was on the wheel .
amitk2kin is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 10:57   #824
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,036
Thanked: 386 Times
Default

If just moving 7-8 people is the criteria then competition is Maruti Ecco , Tata Venture , Force toofan , Mahindra Bolero , Tata Sumo and even Tata Magic :-)
amitk26 is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 12:22   #825
rbp
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 434
Thanked: 258 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
They should have thought of doing something better with the grill. Comes out way too LOUD! Design cue definitely is from a bigger - sorry a LOT bigger Indigo Marina.
+1 to that. Last saturday, me too caught a Aria testing near Chitradurga, it was going towards Bangalore and me in the opposite, the front reminded me a lot of the Manza and the rear vista, actually I thought it was a Manza, only on seeing the side profile was I was like wow Aria. I hope the interiors are better.
rbp is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra to unveil new Gusto 110 cc scooter at Auto Expo 2014 EDIT: Now Launched Aditya Motorbikes 7 16th September 2016 20:57
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs Rehaan The Indian Car Scene 1632 5th July 2012 03:03
Wheelosphere at The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo 2010 udayjani The Indian Car Scene 3 10th October 2010 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks