Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd June 2010, 13:20   #421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
WOW

we are discussing the facts quoted by a company who takes out an additional supplement just to praise how great is the new honda city!! and no where it said it was an advertorial. they had autocar india written in bold over the supplement.
i doubt they would spend that kind of money only because the car is SO good. my bet is that they get paid to say that X car is so good and Y is not.

wouldn't be surprised if they were paid to say that the punto with a 90 bhp engine was a disappointment.

have lost all faith in these auto magazines. though BSM still is holding on to the trustworthy factor!
I couldn't agree with you more. I used to respect Hormazd during his Auto India days, but ACI has slowly lost it's unbiased nature (I like to think it was initially good because I used to subscribe to the magazine ).

I really like BSM, their articles are different, and all their reporters are true petrolheads. While I do not agree with some of their analysis and verdicts, I love to read them, just because of their style.

I wish GTO gets to drive the Punto, it'll clear things up.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:25   #422
BHPian

But.... seems like ACI and FIAT association is good.. As ACI got to drive the car before any other magazine...
ashok_lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:04   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. I used to respect Hormazd during his Auto India days.
Absolutely i believe that Auto India with Hormazd and Gautam at the helm was the best auto mag ever. Incredibly detailed test reports. I remember seeing AC grill temp in their reports. More focus on reporting and testing rather than the total number of pages .

Autocar has published the review of the GP Sports on their website.

Punto Sport test drive, review | Autocar India
coldice4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:14   #424
Senior - BHPian

The report says that the gearbox is identical to that of Linea, right to the number of teeth. That means, they have not changed the gear ratios. Not a great idea, if you ask me.

But the only thing is that ACI says that this might not be the final spec. I would rather wait and watch.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:24   #425
BHPian

I actually love the gear ratio Linea, except that I miss a sixth gear. If Hyundai can give 6th gear for the i20, which was already good with 5 gears, why can't FIAT give a 6th gear for its short gear box?

If it is indeed the Linea MJD gear box, people will still find 90 BHP in Punto still insufficient mainly due to the fact that drivers of other cars need some time to get used to this gear box (I mean, the timing of gear shift and throttle etc). To be honest, I'm too a power hungry man! But then Linea 86 bhp (and now with RaceDynamics) is more than sufficient on Indian roads, both in acceleration as well as top speed, both in sedate driving as well as egoistic driving modes
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:33   #426
BHPian

Fiat Launches Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet in Argentina | Indian Autos blog

Check the above link. This claims that GP 90 HP accelerates from 0 to 100 kph in 12 seconds.
ashok_lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:02   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
But.... seems like ACI and FIAT association is good.. As ACI got to drive the car before any other magazine...
Now this is an interesting point. I didn't think of that, however, I still think that the numbers are all wrong.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 20:20   #428
BHPian

Its better to wait till FIAT comes out with the final specs rather than speculate. But the current fig available-16 secs does not seem possible seems to be more of a typo error. Rather wait till our own GTO reviews the car.

Well honestly as I have seen with respect to other issues,ACI goofs up in lot of numbers nowadays. In a recent issue thay had mentioned the petrol Ritz having a 1.9 ltr engine, this mistake was ofcourse apologised for in the next issue but nonetheless it happened. Also you guys can check out the cost of cars for different variants and cities are many a times the same.The price of a 525d and 530d in this Junes issue, chennai is same, 39.9 L

Bottom line- ACI is good for scoops(TB rules though) and car reviews but definitely a strict no for believing in its numbers.

Last edited by MihirC : 23rd June 2010 at 20:23.
MihirC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 20:34   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Its better to wait till FIAT comes out with the final specs rather than speculate. But the current fig available-16 secs does not seem possible seems to be more of a typo error. Rather wait till our own GTO reviews the car.

Well honestly as I have seen with respect to other issues,ACI goofs up in lot of numbers nowadays. In a recent issue thay had mentioned the petrol Ritz having a 1.9 ltr engine, this mistake was ofcourse apologised for in the next issue but nonetheless it happened. Also you guys can check out the cost of cars for different variants and cities are many a times the same.The price of a 525d and 530d in this Junes issue, chennai is same, 39.9 L

Bottom line- ACI is good for scoops(TB rules though) and car reviews but definitely a strict no for believing in its numbers.
Yup, I agree that there have been a few typos in many auto magazines including ACI. However, in this particular report, ACI has given the entire table of 0-120 kmph performance with every 10 kmph increment (and they have also given the corresponding numbers for 75HP Punto for comparison). The number 16.4s come from the table and fits well with other numbers in the table. The entire table can't be a typo.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 23rd June 2010 at 20:37.
Dr.AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 20:44   #430
Senior - BHPian

The report says that the new version will cost 15% more than its lesser version. I sure hope that's a typo.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 11:38   #431
BHPian

ACI Road test 469 (for Linea MJD 86 ps) says 0-100 in 15.04 secs and 0-120 in 21.30 secs. Now, with the same gear ratio and higher tune of engine 92 ps in 100 Kg lighter Punto be slower than Linea by 1.36 secs to 100 and 2.30 seconds to 120 from the same megazine. As I mentioned, ACI should first learn to drive this FIAT gearbox.

The following links don't have every detail they had in megazine, but gives the necessary data:
http://www.autocarindia.com/roadtest...ea-13-multijet
http://www.autocarindia.com/firstdri...de-punto-sport

Last edited by opendro : 24th June 2010 at 11:42. Reason: Added more links from ACI site
Old 24th June 2010, 13:16   #432
BHPian

As far as I know, none of us in the forum have driven the Punto 90 till now. But when a magazine comes up with a test drive and presents their observation, we are not ready to accept their findings, but rather conclude that they don't know how to drive a FIAT gearbox/they are biased etc.,

I am no fan of FIAT or ACI, but I think the discussions seem pointless till one of us drive the car and come with the same or opposite conclusion.
phantom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 13:39   #433
BHPian

I'm just pointing out the contradicting facts presented by ACI. They have to mention at least some factor that could have contributed to the result whatsoever.

Also, the reason why I say people should first learn to get used to this gear box is that Linea, which is considered very underpowerd by megazines and forums like this, is completely different on the road, specially once we get used to it. I have also observed that most other manufacturers keep the gear ratio more or less same. This could have contributed further to bad experience of FIAT gear ratio. So, I wouldn't be surprised if people in team-bhp also come up with ridiculous comments about VGT Punto.

Anyways, I'm also not a fan of any brand. I buy the best car from my perspective. But ACI's test is just not acceptable in my opinion.

Last edited by opendro : 24th June 2010 at 13:40.
Old 24th June 2010, 14:25   #434
BHPian

coming back to the point of punto sport!

though this 90 bhp punto is a good news indeed, but i still can't get the white punto with red ORVMs, amazing looking alloys, sun roof et all, out of my mind!

wonder when will FIAT decide to come up with that. I trust them to, but when is the question!!
samyakmodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 16:02   #435
Senior - BHPian

Talking

@ samyakmodi

Me too waiting madly for that White Punto Sport with that special alloys, black roof, etc.

90 Bhp Punto Emotion Pk is fine, but not my cup of tea. I think in that case i20 1.4 CRDi Asta is much better (as a complete package).

I am still waiting for GTO's test drive/observations and final trim level before my final decision. If you look in to the interiors of 90 HP Punto,
Name:  new_i.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  106.6 KB
there is some improvement from the existing one, may be colour combinations.
Name:  cur_i.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  156.2 KB

I will wait till November for Punto Sport, that's it.

Let us wait and watch

Cheers!
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote