Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2010, 14:38   #46
BHPian
 
mustang89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmanju1 View Post
Is Linea T Jet + Dualogic coming in one single car? Or are they separate?
they are separate.the dual logic was just a concept.it was in left hand drive.it just showed that you can have both auto and manual with the stick shift rather than having paddle shifts.
the t jet was different.
basically the dual logic gear shift was like if you move it forward it upshifts and if you move it backwards it downshifts.
@ infinitewheel-
got around 500 photos of the entire expo,got so tired yesterday that i fainted at the expo and had to be brought back home and sadly my parents are not allowing me to go today.

Last edited by mustang89 : 7th January 2010 at 14:41.
mustang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 14:44   #47
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Malapuram
Posts: 102
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

So sad mustang89. May be you have to take rest today. Your parents are right.
infinitewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 14:51   #48
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 47
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Ahh! Finally news about Fiat.
The Linea sounds awesome. Fervently hope that Fiat improve their A.S.S. to support this technology. That will make this car really worth buying...and owning!
Satya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 15:05   #49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Thiruvananthapuram
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
wOw ! Lenia AT should give them a gr8 edge in the existing market. Is that available in petrol or diesel ?
Just got back from TD of Punto 1.3 and i20 1.4 diesel with a friend.he was convinced with the GP till now. after TD ing the i20 plans for the GP gone with the wind. comes as no surprise.

The GP should have been fitted with a more powerful t-jet diesel or else they should have fitted the 1.3 90bhp engine from the start.
and now it is already too late. and along with that the complaints on plastic parts falling off!!! with the 1.4 diesel i20 is the diesel hot hatch IMO. and the interiors will make a punto commit suicide (read punto owner). i would have loved the GP with a 1.4 tjet diesel. such a fine car with superb handling and ride, but FIAT in its infinite wisdom (duh) decided to underpower the only good thing that could have changed its luck in this country. is hyundai so much better in designing engines than FIAT or is FIAT plain stupid?

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th January 2010 at 15:20. Reason: Please type in full english and avoid sms language. Thanks
helboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 15:22   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,406
Thanked: 1,538 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helboy View Post
Just got back from TD of Punto 1.3 and i20 1.4 diesel with a friend.he was convinced with the GP till now. after TD ing the i20 plans for the GP gone with the wind. comes as no surprise.

The GP should have been fitted with a more powerful t-jet diesel or else they should have fitted the 1.3 90bhp engine from the start.
and now it is already too late. and along with that the complaints on plastic parts falling off!!! with the 1.4 diesel i20 is the diesel hot hatch IMO. and the interiors will make a punto commit suicide (read punto owner). i would have loved the GP with a 1.4 tjet diesel. such a fine car with superb handling and ride, but FIAT in its infinite wisdom (duh) decided to underpower the only good thing that could have changed its luck in this country. is hyundai so much better in designing engines than FIAT or is FIAT plain stupid?
Had it been that your friend and you would have watched the recent overdrive autoshow in which all the hatches were driven to Himalayas, ladakh and rohtang pass you wouldnt have gone for i20 at all. it was reviewed as the worst car amongst the lot. winner was the ritz, but punto was reviewed as the best handling car and was keeping revvs perfectly in all the hilly areas.
i20 was a major disaster and they had to slip the clutch 100 times to keep it revving in the upslopes.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 15:24   #51
mkh
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 107 Times
Default

As always- FIAT folks have all the brains in bringing out the best prods- but then can they follow up with some focus on sales and support...The linea Automatic is a super option- wonder why there are not enough takers for AT even though its a boon for our conditions.
The T-Jet will surely pull more people towards the FIAT showrooms who are maybe waiting for this to cross the bridge over...
Great thought on Punto CNG-
FIAT really put out some value to its stall by showing most of its projected launches...way to go GTO- fantastic pics
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 15:27   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
recshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mangalore / Bangalore
Posts: 1,056
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

@helboy,

as of now, there is nothing called tjet diesel only tjet petrol!

give some time to FIAT. they will come up with better engines. they once messed up with A.S.S and mileage. so they are playing safe.

Lets wait and watch for FIAT's annoncement about Punto Sport!

EDIT:

was about to edit the post but amit_mechengg has already posted abot same

Last edited by recshenoy : 7th January 2010 at 15:30.
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 15:35   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 229
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helboy View Post
J

The GP should have been fitted with a more powerful t-jet diesel or else they should have fitted the 1.3 90bhp engine from the start.
and now it is already too late. and along with that the complaints on plastic parts falling off!!! with the 1.4 diesel i20 is the diesel hot hatch IMO. and the interiors will make a punto commit suicide (read punto owner). i would have loved the GP with a 1.4 tjet diesel. such a fine car with superb handling and ride, but FIAT in its infinite wisdom (duh) decided to underpower the only good thing that could have changed its luck in this country. is hyundai so much better in designing engines than FIAT or is FIAT plain stupid?
Whats the Tjet diesel? I'm not sure, but inspite of various threads mentioning that the power is adequate, why is this talk of GP being underpowered?

Anyway, I'm glad my wait is bearing fruit - had been waiting for the VGT powered Punto and here it is finally! I hope the productions cars are devoid of those yuccky graphics and that those alloys are maintained.

Fiat, please dont call this version as Sport, if there are plans to plonk in the 1.6 or 1.9 MJD in the Punto
royalcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 15:42   #54
BHPian
 
coldice4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 156
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

As it is, the Duallogic is not a completely automatic gearbox in the traditional sense. It is just a robotised manual, it has a clutch albeit automatic. So no torque converter. However it also has the ability to shift gears. The Duallogic is supposed to be cheaper than a traditional auto. So Fiat might be able to price it competitively. 9.5 ex-showroom?

Also Fiat having burnt its fingers(make that hands) with the fuel un-efficient image that it acquired after the Palio, Fiat did the opposite for the Linea & the Punto, launched fuel-efficient version of the cars first. Unfortunately for them the consequent loss of power meant that they now have the "underpowered" tag to reckon with. No matter Fiat does, it does not seem to go right. But atleast they have not given. It will be a long & slow for Fiat, but i do hope they make it.

And there is also the small matter of Service & plastic quality.
coldice4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 15:44   #55
BHPian
 
Jaizcrzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hyderabad/Vizag
Posts: 77
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Love the alloys and on a whole car looks great. Wish we have petrol sport.
Jaizcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 15:51   #56
BHPian
 
kicha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 18° 55' N, 72° 54' E
Posts: 29
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Awesome pics GTO.
The punto alloys look fantastic!!
kicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 16:02   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NA
Posts: 769
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
As it is, the Duallogic is not a completely automatic gearbox in the traditional sense. It is just a robotised manual, it has a clutch albeit automatic. So no torque converter. However it also has the ability to shift gears. The Duallogic is supposed to be cheaper than a traditional auto.
How do you say that it is supposed to be cheaper. An automatic is generally based on fluid coupling and cannot have clutch. Dualogic has a gearbox, can be in full automatic mode, semi-automatic mode or full manual mode like any modern day semi-automatic gearboxes. I don't think they are any cheaper. They should be in fact costlier, because they are more efficient in fuel and power. No proof to back my claim on the price though.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 16:29   #58
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Thiruvananthapuram
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

i know yaar .and that is the simple reason that i simply love this beauty.there is nothing on the indian hatchback lineup that can compete with this marvel on handling,ride and anything not related to power and interior design!!but it is only we few who will understand or try to understand the finer details.
the only reason my friend decided to TD the GP was because myself.Everyone else were against.And once he TD ed it his only dissapointment was with the engine :-).but after the TD of the i20 1.4 Diesel he was floored.and I felt like a fool.and he is willing to pay the extra bucks for the higher power and the interiors of the i20 over the GP.
helboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 16:32   #59
BHPian
 
surd_biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 116
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitewheel View Post
What actually dual logic means? Thought of asking someone to post the pics of dual logic gear shift. Take your own time mustang89.
Here you go:-

Source - Fiat launches a ?sequential manual? gearbox Punto ? the DuaLogic
News dated Nov 2 2006

“Fiat have called their new gearbox system DuaLogic because it delivers two logical requirements of a small car, better performance and better economy, and it’s made the Punto even easier and more convenient to drive” says David Stone, General Manager for Fiat Cars in Australia.

“Normally performance and economy pull in different directions, but the DuaLogic gearbox is designed to make extremely efficient use of the engines to which it is attached, ensuring that they are always working at their peak effectiveness for the task in hand. This translates into better performance and lower fuel consumption, by way of lower exhaust emissions. The Fiat Punto, with an official fuel consumption figure of 4.6 litres/100 km, is already the most fuel efficient conventional car in Australia. With the DuaLogic gearbox fitted, consumption drops to just 4.5 litres/100 km, a remarkable figure for manual car, let alone one with a self-shifting gearbox!”


The DuaLogic gearbox, which is available on the Fiat Punto with the 1.4 petrol engine as well as the Turbo Diesel Punto 1.3 JTD, is technically described as a sequential manual gearbox, which means it has a conventional clutch and gearbox, so there is no power-sapping torque converter and hydraulic gears. Instead there is small, light actuator unit to operate the clutch and move the gears, plus a highly intelligent computer.

Thus, the DuaLogic equipped Punto has the performance and economy of the manual car as a starting point, unlike a conventional automatic which is always at a disadvantage to a manual gearbox given its weight and power-consuming technology. To this already efficient system is added a computer that knows the engine to which it is connected inside-out. The computer ensures that the gearbox is always in the most effective gear for the performance required, maximising both performance and economy capabilities. Indeed, the Punto DuaLogic even knows if it is going downhill or climbing a hill and adjusts its changing patterns appropriately!

With the DuaLogic taking over the operation of the gearbox and the clutch, driving is easier and simpler. The driver has the choice of placing the Punto DuaLogic in automatic or manual modes. In automatic mode, DuaLogic does all the work, selecting the gears, operating the clutch and getting the best economy and performance. The driver can also select normal mode or economy mode, with, as the name suggests, the latter selection ensuring that the Punto extracts every the maximum energy out of every last drop of fuel.

DuaLogic doesn’t just blindly change gears. It has full fuzzy logic, so it can adapt to the driver’s style, matching his changing demands, both his style and changing road conditions. Another feature of the DuaLogic is its ability to assess vehicle deceleration and adjust downshifts.

In semiautomatic mode, for example, the system allows downshifts, particularly when the driver demands a lower gear to take a corner at speed during a sporty drive. In automatic mode, the system anticipates the downshift to ensure the driver can always call on the most appropriate speed to maintain the required comfort level or fuel saving.

With the DuaLogic gearbox in automatic mode, its robotised electronic management system allows the gears to be changed at the time of maximum engine performance. This makes it possible to exploit all the power and torque of the 1.4 petrol and 1.3 Multijet Turbo Diesel engines and achieve a distinct improvement in acceleration over a manual gearbox.

However. This is an Italian car; therefore DuaLogic has a manual mode where, using the gear lever, the driver can self-select gears to get the maximum pleasure out of driving the Punto.

How does this translate in fuel economy terms?

In automatic mode with the Economy key engaged, the Punto consumes less fuel than a manual gearbox. Fuel consumption with the DuaLogic fitted is 5.7 compared with 5.9 l/100 km for the 1.4 petrol and 4.5 versus 4.6 l/100 for the Multijet. The most substantial benefits are achieved around town: 6.8 compared to 7.5 l/100 km for the 1.4 petrol and 5.8 compared to 5.9 l/100 for the Multijet.

DuaLogic also boosts safety. To prevent unwanted gear changes, the system engages neutral when the engine is still running and the door has been opened and DuaLogic device also activates warning lights and buzzers to notify the driver of emergency situations or manoeuvres that are not permitted and could damage the engine or gearbox.

The cream on the DuaLogic cake is that also saves money on purchase, with a lower purchase cost than a conventional automatic gearbox, with the Fiat Punto 1.4 DuaLogic available with a recommended retail price of $21,490 and the Punto 1.3 JTD DuaLogic offering an RRP of $23,490.
surd_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 17:01   #60
BHPian
 
speedKrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 69
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

thank you GTO for the exclusive coverage.Name it Sports or any thing else punto really deserves a 90 hp engine under its hoods.

GTO,Any comments on the plastics in demo cars?

The alloys and the low profiles make the car a drool maal.
The stickers spoils the cars looks Hope Fiat removes those stickers

Now next wait is for price details and a test drive report from GTO himself.
cheers
speedKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheelosphere at The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo » The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo 2010 udayjani The Indian Car Scene 3 10th October 2010 16:54
T-BHP AUTO EXPO MEGA MEET - New Delhi 5th - 11th january 2010 vkochar The Team-BHP Meet Section 223 10th January 2010 00:14
AUTO EXPO 2010 - What to Expect ? vkochar The Indian Car Scene 248 5th January 2010 11:38
Toyota's small car EDIT : Unveiling confirmed for Auto Expo 2010! aaggoswami The Indian Car Scene 47 4th January 2010 20:55
Toyota to Launch Prius Hybrid at Auto Expo 2010 Sarvodaya The Indian Car Scene 9 28th October 2009 14:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:06.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks