Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which magazine will you subscribe to this year?
Autocar India 371 63.97%
BS Motoring 76 13.10%
BIKE India 16 2.76%
CAR India 27 4.66%
Top Gear 147 25.34%
Overdrive 129 22.24%
Indian Auto 11 1.90%
Any other (Please name) 33 5.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st September 2005, 11:20   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default The great Indian Car Magazine War

The plethora of new auto magazine launches in the past few months has really rattled the market and left all of us wondering which magazine to buy, which to subcribe too and which to glance through at the book shop without putting your money down for it!

I'm sure we would all like to buy copies of all the dfferent mags, but storage space, cost or a combination of both force us to make a choice.

So, as the newcomers are now into their second month of sale, and the dust is beginning to settle down, lets see where you put your money.

The poll is for which magazine/s you will subscribe to.

P.s. This is a multiple option poll in which you can choose as many options as you like.

Last edited by Rtech : 1st September 2005 at 11:24.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 11:29   #2
BHPian

AutoCar and TopGear -subscribe

BSMotoring i will happily buy every month.

And AutoCar UK every week from British Library.
artofzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 11:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

try to resist the urge to subscribe to any one particular mag .. gives me the option to choose the one(s) from my local vendor , depending on the contents ..
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 11:58   #4
Team-BHP Support

My choice:

Subscription:
ACI: For their local content which is unmatched so far, and I like the partnership with F1 racing as well as the latest with T.W.O., a bike mag. That was the one thing lacking in the old ACI - their limited motorcycle coverage.

Top Gear: I like the reporting style and their international coverage.

One-off buys or bookshop reads:
CAR India: If something catches my eye.

BIKE India: as above. But their quality (both paper as well as picture) and content really has to improve if they plan to survive in this market.

BSM: I like the way they test the exotic bikes & cars in India, but thats about it.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 12:11   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My take:

Autocarindia : Did you see their new layout? Its absolutely FANTASTIC! In addition, some of the articles from this months issue (Like the Old Fiat versus Ambassador etc.) make for splendid reading. For sheer quality on the Indian motoring scene...nothing beats the Autocar

BSMotoring : Gotta love that bunch of undiplomatic petrolheads and their car-guy kinda language

Top Gear : Purely for the international content. Great reading.

Car India : I am yet testing the waters with this one. I am not too fond of Adils style with his constant use of "She" when referring to cars and adopting "PS" instead of "BHP".

GTO
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 12:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

Top gear and Car have great quality of paper etc., but when i compare the sept Autocar with Top Gear, top gear falls flat on its face. Even the car magazine does not fare any better. This is india, and i want to have road tests of indian cars. I am more insterested in dicor than some VW frog. BS motoring is also much better than both the foreign mags.
But being an Auto buff now my monthly magazine purchase is
Autocar, BSM, Overdrive, Car and Top Gear. My earlier list of 3 mags has gone up to 5. Not sure wether i will buy the Car and Top Gear next month though.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 12:14   #7
Team-BHP Support

BSM writing style is too good. The RS vs Audi TT article in sept BSM is simply too good. I doubt any other mag, even autocar can come even close to their sense of humour and their crazy ideas
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 13:22   #8
BHPian

For me its ACI, they are very professional and for the overall content they provide nothing beats them. Top gear is the magazine which i would buy purely for the international content.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 14:36   #9
BHPian

i think its got to be Top Gear for me. loved the inaugral issue, the pics and the general content.

i wouldn't pay for BS Motoring. no matter how well qualified and knowledgeable the columnists, I find I cannot trust the words of auto/bike enthusiasts who decide the Bike of The Year Award should go to a 125cc "cruiser". How disgusting can that be? Also inconsistencies in their reporting depending on the situation and the marque being discussed.

Also mags devote too much to F1. I love F1. Follow every race. but i don't buy an auto mag for to follow a sport. I buy it to gain some new knowledge and insights into automobile technology and engineering.

Sadly this is an area where almost all cars mags really fail to deliver. auto building techniques, engine tuning techniques, old auto restoration techniques and so on and so forth.

but yes, i will be subscribing to Top Gear.
hell_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 14:51   #10
BHPian

bought both the issues of car & the inaugral issue of top gear ... definately will not suscribe till they increase the local (indian) news road tests etc..etc..
sanket12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 15:45   #11
BHPian

i have been receiving AUTOCAR since past 3 years, and its definately the BEST car mag in india! now that the CAR mag has come out, Autocar might have some competition! picked up the 1st issue of CAR last month, liked it, but found that its more focused on Cars outside India. well, slowly they will setin good, i believe. so yea, now on will buy the CAR also for a couple of months then maybe i will subscribe for it.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 16:33   #12
BHPian

Autocar is got to be the best amongst the lot. CAR is nothing but copy / paste from overdrive. and Adils style of writing is s&*t. Top gear tests of Indian cars in the 1st issue didnt impress me much. Neither did the photography.

I will subscribe to none...but am most likely to pik Autocar when i go to a shop.
ritik123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 17:14   #13
BHPian

overdrive is the only magzine that gives us a near close fuel efficiency of cars whereas auto car is totaly vague
raja_ys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 17:17   #14
BHPian

None.
I sometimes buy BSM and read their site as well as Autocar..
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 17:38   #15
bhp
BHPian

autocarindia and topgear
i have already subscribed for topgear (indian) .
bhp is offline   Reply With Quote