Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th November 2010, 09:12   #46
BANNED

here is a Xenon on dubai roads which caught my eyes. i wanted to compare it with my Hilux so i stopped and took photos of it.

it comes no where near the Hilux, but TATA has done a very good job on Xenon.

i was surprised that Xenon comes with a LSD and a 3.0 ltr Dicor Engine!

good work TATA.
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 22:41   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Xenon XT 2010

I had a good look at the new Xenon XT 2010 version now called as "Tata Xenon XT EX 4X4 MFL BS4" today and did a test drive of the vehicle. Yes, it was a 4X4 version and black in colour. The new beige interiors definitely looks far better than the previous grey ones as I felt the plastic quality had improved a lot.

I could still see lot of niggling issues like missing under seat cover/panel, wooden dash panel loosely fit, button from bonnet padding was missing, coolant leakage from radiator hose, etc. Also there were two open bolts next to clutch pedal, not sure if this is a provision for dead pedal which was missed to be fixed.

I tried the 4X4 option and felt there wasn't much difference in 4H as compared to my Gypsy's 4H mode. But once I changed to 4L, there was drastic difference in torque and Xenon was behaving like a raging bull. The braking seemed pretty decent though I could not test in full effect.

The saddest part is that the price has increased from March 1, 2011 and the new onroad price in Bangalore is a whooping Rs.11,84,000/-. Not sure if the price increase effective April 1, 2011 will impact Xenon again.
I don't know why Tata Motors has painted the chassis in beige too... It looks "Yuck" to me, especially for a black body.

Let the pictures do some talking.

Xenon XT 2010 Model : Note the missing Chrome Grill.
Tata Xenon XT 2010-xenonxt2010.jpg

With Safari Alloys and 235/70/R16 Bridstone HT tires
Tata Xenon XT 2010-xenonxt.jpg

Tilt Adjustable Steering Wheel.
Tata Xenon XT 2010-steeringconsole.jpg

Faux Wood finish dashboard panel
Tata Xenon XT 2010-dashpanel.jpg

Gear Knob felt too big for my hand.
Tata Xenon XT 2010-dashboard.jpg

Faux wood panel on door handle.
Tata Xenon XT 2010-woodfinishon-door.jpg

Rear seats are quite upright and lack thigh support. But guess this can be overcome by some simple modification.
Tata Xenon XT 2010-rearseats.jpg

The height between the top of seat and floor is too low.
Tata Xenon XT 2010-rearseatfloor.jpg

Sticker on Limited Slip Differential on rear side profile.
Tata Xenon XT 2010-lsdsticker.jpg

ABS sticker on rear side is a new addition and basic steel bumper comes as standard fitment.
Tata Xenon XT 2010-rearview.jpg
  1. In ideal condition what should be the difference between delivery date and manufacture date?
  2. What could be the impact if the vehicle was manufactured let's say 6 months ago and was lying in stock yard?
  3. Is it possible for the dealer to run the vehicle without impacting speedometer readings?
  4. If I trade in the stock tires with a tyre dealer straight after delivery, how much can I expect for these Bridstone 235/70/R16 HT tires?
Pardus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 22:49   #48
BHPian

Mods can you please move this thread to SUV/MUV/4X4 section. Tata Xenon XT is not a commercial vehicle and does not deserve to be here.
Pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 08:21   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
In ideal condition what should be the difference between delivery date and manufacture date?
I got my swift delivered with in 7 days of manufacturing

Quote:
  1. What could be the impact if the vehicle was manufactured let's say 6 months ago and was lying in stock yard?
Better stay away. Interiors would have got little damaged. Battery would need a replacement. Tyres may have a shorter shelf life. so wind it off -- Stay away.
Quote:
Is it possible for the dealer to run the vehicle without impacting speedometer readings?
Yes!
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 10:22   #50
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  1. In ideal condition what should be the difference between delivery date and manufacture date?
  2. What could be the impact if the vehicle was manufactured let's say 6 months ago and was lying in stock yard?
  3. Is it possible for the dealer to run the vehicle without impacting speedometer readings?
  4. If I trade in the stock tires with a tyre dealer straight after delivery, how much can I expect for these Bridstone 235/70/R16 HT tires?
1) Ideally should be within 15 days to 3 months, 6 months though can be quite possible for a very limited selling vehicle like the XT, as no Dealer will keep a demo vehicle of this, due to the low numbers and he does not order and keep a sellable version ready there will be nothing to see. Also Now you can get it immediately if you book, but this may have a lead time of 2-3 months if ordered (as it will have to be a special production run).

2) Impact of lying 6 months in the stock yard can vary it is not ideal but if you take it with 4 years warranty and do a proper PDI for all issues being sorted out (if any) plus to an actual test run on the specific vehicle it can be OK. If it is 6 months old in march then it would be a oct 2010 vehicle also implying lesser resale value, so you should get a substantial discount to go for it. Price when it was manufactured / shipped to the dealer is what you should consider and ask for a discount further on that, rather than todays increased price.

3) Yes it can be driven without the odo being connected. Though it may not have been as there are not likely to be too many coming to check out the xenon.

4) If you trade the stock tyres and buy new ones from the place where you tade them in you could get anything between 15-25K for these 5 tyres. (Do note if the tyre dates is also older (like in a 6 months previously manufactured vehicle it will get even lesser in a swap.). The price of the new tyres will also have a bearing on the price you get for these older ones. Expect to pay roughly about 1.5-3K extra per new tyre (which is about 1 size up from these.)

Consider the 6 months older vehicle only if you are getting something like a 1L discount and if 6 months is actually 9 months it better be close to 1.5L

The Xenon looks superb with the official front guard and rear full height canopy.

The Interiors have indeed improved. It will not be easy to make the rear seats recline too much more, the space in the rear is actually limited, and this would impact the leg room and underthigh support.

Last edited by ACM : 25th March 2011 at 10:23.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 11:20   #51
Senior - BHPian

Rajesh, still not over your xenon fixation .

whatever be said- the xenon is one handsome machine, and at least from the pics, teh fit and finish seemed to have drastically improved.

Do a thorough PDI if the vehicle has been lying around for 6 months, make sure all the oils are fresh(ask for a change if need be- in fact, insist upon it), and negotiate for a whopping discount. the Xenon isnot a fast mover off the showroom floor and the dealer would be desperate to get inventory off his books before March 31st.
himanshugoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 12:21   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
here is a Xenon on dubai roads which caught my eyes. i wanted to compare it with my Hilux so i stopped and took photos of it.

it comes no where near the Hilux, but TATA has done a very good job on Xenon.

i was surprised that Xenon comes with a LSD and a 3.0 ltr Dicor Engine!

good work TATA.
I think the export model comes with a 3.0L engine. I saw a tata xenon in thimpu (bhutan) way back in dec 2009 and the sticker at the back said 3.0L.

All in all a fab product, i too fell in love with the design at first sight. There is only one problem for me, its just too looooong to be used in areas like the hills of darjeeling where the roads are narrow and very twisty. And therefore you do not see too many of these around. The compact mahindras (bolero and scorpio) are still kings of the road here.
amrisharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 14:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Let the pictures do some talking.
Thanks for the good pics, Pardus !

Nice to know that the Indian version also has been given the Safari tyre/alloy combo as stock. It used to look awkward in the earlier 205 size tyres. Now the Xenon looks good in the bigger tyres, and the black is adding to the impact.

Did u sit in the rear seat to see if it is comfortable? How are the in-cabin noise levels? And any idea what other colours are available ?

The only sore point : I don't think we need those HUGE 'Limited Slip Differential' stickers. They should remove those huge stickers and , in lieu, reduce the price by about a lakh .

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 25th March 2011 at 14:37.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 16:57   #54
BHPian

Check this out guys. Used 2009 Tata Xenon XT EX 4x2 (S202335) for sale in New Delhi - CarWale There's an article about it in the Feb issue of Carz.
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 20:13   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Better stay away. Interiors would have got little damaged. Battery would need a replacement. Tyres may have a shorter shelf life. so wind it off -- Stay away.
Thanks for your valuable inputs. Interiors had lot of stain marks on dashboard, handbrake, gear lever, spots on roof, etc. I am inclined to winding off unless there is a huge discount which can compensate adequately. I don't mind waiting for another 1-2 months from booking but would definitely want a good piece and not a lemon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
1) Ideally should be within 15 days to 3 months, 6 months though can be quite possible for a very limited selling vehicle like the XT, as no Dealer will keep a demo vehicle of this, due to the low numbers and he does not order and keep a sellable version ready there will be nothing to see. Also Now you can get it immediately if you book, but this may have a lead time of 2-3 months if ordered (as it will have to be a special production run).
You are right infact there was not even a single vehicle (forget 4X4) available for Test Drive for last one and half year. The only vehicle available was bought out by a fellow BHPian. If I ask for a new vehicle what is the guarantee that they will not despatch another one from their stock yard which is as old as this one. How do I guarantee that Tata Motors will send me a freshly (less than 1 month old) produced vehicle ?

Quote:
2) Impact of lying 6 months in the stock yard can vary it is not ideal but if you take it with 4 years warranty and do a proper PDI for all issues being sorted out (if any) plus to an actual test run on the specific vehicle it can be OK. If it is 6 months old in march then it would be a oct 2010 vehicle also implying lesser resale value, so you should get a substantial discount to go for it. Price when it was manufactured / shipped to the dealer is what you should consider and ask for a discount further on that, rather than todays increased price.
The Service advisor claims its about 5 months based on their invoice, but if I go as per instruction on TBHP regarding identifying VIN number then it reflects Sep 2010 as manufacture date which is quite long. The ex-showroom price in Sep 2010 was Rs.9,33,000/- as against the present price of Rs.9,90,000/-.

Quote:
3) Yes it can be driven without the odo being connected. Though it may not have been as there are not likely to be too many coming to check out the xenon.
The ODO reading was reflecting at 180+ Kms when I took test drive and I drove for about 10+Km myself.

Quote:
4) If you trade the stock tyres and buy new ones from the place where you tade them in you could get anything between 15-25K for these 5 tyres. (Do note if the tyre dates is also older (like in a 6 months previously manufactured vehicle it will get even lesser in a swap.). The price of the new tyres will also have a bearing on the price you get for these older ones. Expect to pay roughly about 1.5-3K extra per new tyre (which is about 1 size up from these.)
I never thought about the tyre manufacture date and it's impact on resale. I also need to check if there is sufficient gap to fit 235/75/R16 instead of 235/70/R16. What are the other ways to increase the GC apart from lifting the body.

Quote:
Consider the 6 months older vehicle only if you are getting something like a 1L discount and if 6 months is actually 9 months it better be close to 1.5L.
The dealer says he can give discount upto 50K max.

Quote:
The Xenon looks superb with the official front guard and rear full height canopy.
I am planning to procure a roller lid as seen below from Carryboy instead of boot lid or canopy as it is more ideal for my requirements. Is there any Carryboy dealer in Bangalore who can get this imported?
Tata Xenon XT 2010-rollerlid11.jpg

Quote:
The Interiors have indeed improved. It will not be easy to make the rear seats recline too much more, the space in the rear is actually limited, and this would impact the leg room and underthigh support.
True, but I would like to improve this as much as possible. Atleast by another 5-10 degrees by moving the base forward and increase the thigh support by adding additional cusion for the base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Rajesh, still not over your xenon fixation .
Yes, Himanshu.. I have been obsessed with this vehicle eversince it was displayed in Detroit Motor Show as "TL Sprint". I don't think there is any other vehicle as close as this one which fits my requirements. I have thought about multiple options including buying a Thar and a hatch/sedan. But feel Xenon is one vehicle which fits most purposes. The only major problem I see is parking in city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
All in all a fab product, i too fell in love with the design at first sight. There is only one problem for me, its just too looooong to be used in areas like the hills of darjeeling where the roads are narrow and very twisty. And therefore you do not see too many of these around. The compact mahindras (bolero and scorpio) are still kings of the road here.
You are right, Xenon is too long for hilly terrain. I too am scared that I could get stuck in narrow forest roads and won't be able to turnaround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Nice to know that the Indian version also has been given the Safari tyre/alloy combo as stock. It used to look awkward in the earlier 205 size tyres. Now the Xenon looks good in the bigger tyres, and the black is adding to the impact.
This truly is a good improvement and the Safari alloys really look good.

Quote:
Did u sit in the rear seat to see if it is comfortable? How are the in-cabin noise levels? And any idea what other colours are available ?
Yes, I saw in the rear seats just to feel the reclining and check thigh support but did not get to ride sitting in back seat. I had test driven the 2008-09 version and felt there was minor 5-10degree improvement in reclining. The seat cloth definetly feels of better quality not too sure if it's because of perception due to colour.

I felt the incabin noise levels were better or less than Safari's and defenitely bearable. There are only four colours available, Quartz Black, Arctic White, Mineral Red and Arctic Silver.

Quote:
The only sore point : I don't think we need those HUGE 'Limited Slip Differential' stickers. They should remove those huge stickers and , in lieu, reduce the price by about a lakh .
God knows what's making Tata Motors increase the price so much each time when the numbers are very less. I beleive the overall sales figures per month is around 15-20 only across India. Xenon is defenitely overpriced.
Old 26th March 2011, 10:32   #56
BHPian

Smile Re: Tata Xenon XT 2010

@Pardus:
"I am planning to procure a roller lid as seen below from Carryboy instead of boot lid or canopy as it is more ideal for my requirements. Is there any Carryboy dealer in Bangalore who can get this imported?"

Hot tracks is the carryboy dealer in bangalore,
Hot Tracks
Contact Person:Mr Anil Padiwal
Address:No.17, 1st cross,
Victoria road, Victoria Layout,
Next to India garage.
BANGALORE-560047 [/SIZE][/FONT]
Mobile: +919845106938
Mobile: + 919740036464
Off: +9180 25361442/22213179
Email: hottracks_bang@hotmail.com

I had enquired him about carryboy accessories for Xenon about a year back ,he has only CB510 roll bar(19K) and side step(9k).I'm sure he can import the roller lid if ya request.
I got a soft soft tonneau cover for mine. Its very useful n water n dust proof too.

Attached Thumbnails
Tata Xenon XT 2010-xenon-tonneau.jpg  

Last edited by sabretooth911 : 26th March 2011 at 10:34.
sabretooth911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 21:15   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretooth911 View Post
@Pardus:
"I am planning to procure a roller lid as seen below from Carryboy instead of boot lid or canopy as it is more ideal for my requirements. Is there any Carryboy dealer in Bangalore who can get this imported?"

Hot tracks is the carryboy dealer in bangalore,
Hot Tracks
Contact Person:Mr Anil Padiwal
Address:No.17, 1st cross,
Victoria road, Victoria Layout,
Next to India garage.
BANGALORE-560047 [/SIZE][/FONT]
Mobile: +919845106938
Mobile: + 919740036464
Off: +9180 25361442/22213179
Email: hottracks_bang@hotmail.com

I had enquired him about carryboy accessories for Xenon about a year back ,he has only CB510 roll bar(19K) and side step(9k).I'm sure he can import the roller lid if ya request.
I got a soft soft tonneau cover for mine. Its very useful n water n dust proof too.

Thanks a ton for sharing the details of Hot Tracks. I see this shop almost daily while returning from office and knew he was a highend dealer. Good to know that he has CB510 which is another accessory I was looking for. Will contact him with my list.

How much did you pay for your soft tonneau? Also any idea what model of side step he has. I hate the round bar one. I am impressed with the one JeepandCar.com has on their site as below. It's hard for women wearing sari's to getin without a side step.

Name:  FootStep4JeepandCar.jpg
Views: 8602
Size:  59.6 KB

By the way I have made advance payment and booked the Xenon XT MFL 4X4 Quartz Black today. Yet to decide if I will go for new one or take the advantage of good discount for existing piece after all niggling issues are sorted out.
Old 26th March 2011, 21:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

By the way I have made advance payment and booked the Xenon XT MFL 4X4 Quartz Black today. Yet to decide if I will go for new one or take the advantage of good discount for existing piece after all niggling issues are sorted out.
Congrats!

I suggest you go with the existing one after getting the max discount and all niggles sorted. Even with a new piece, you cannot be sure how long its been standing in the factory and you definitely will not get any discounts. Till the time you have your 4 yr warranty intact, I don't think there is anything to worry about. 6 months is nothing.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 09:14   #59
BHPian

@pardus: i got it done for about 1200INR by a good tailor who was in dubai n had seen n worked on lot of pick up trucks.
I'm not sure what kind of side step Anil(hot trks) has got.The regular carry boy side step wont fit into xenon..due to mismatch of the clamps.

I got my xenon for a good deal n got it within 2wks of booking(thanks to KVR Kannur) .They gave me free anti rust treatment(under body) ,mats ,4yrs additional warranty.

Lovely vehicle to own(a head turner)..gives awesome mileage too.
sabretooth911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 12:04   #60
BHPian

Hey fellas, I have a few quick questions:

1. How would this vehicle be as a family (of 4) tourer? Would involve occasional off roading too.
2. My Dad's 6' tall, so would the rear legroom be enough? What about thigh/lumbar support?
3. Any idea how much the rear canopy (as in the image), with fitment, cost?

Name:  canopy.JPG
Views: 12349
Size:  36.2 KB

EDIT: Just had a word with a sales rep in Delhi. Quoted price was 11.13 Lacs on road with ~30K extra for the canopy.
So the with canopy on road price might come to 11.5 - 11.7 Lacs as I think he was conservative while quoting the amount of the canopy.

Last edited by lordofgondor : 1st April 2011 at 12:18.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote