Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th January 2010, 16:56   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
My list of annoyances with the Swift Vxi

1. Fuel Lid Opener and Boot Opener are too closely positioned. In the dark, tough to sight them even with the cabin light switched on. At least they could've been backlit!

2. Door pockets not deep enough - can only hold rolled up newspaper/parking tickets/cleaning cloth. Could have been better designed.

3. In the Vxi/Lxi, if you go in for a 1-Din HU, there's this ugly empty slot. This is a blackhole - what goes in, can't come out!

4. Stock wipers inadequate. Replace it every year.

5. Dead Pedal would have been good - can live without it though.

6. Lumbar support would've really helped. I get a slight lower back ache after 2 hrs of driving in the traffic.

7. Panel gaps. The sheer amount of leaves/twigs/debris that slip into the engine compartment/near the boot hinges is amazing!

8. Horrible rubber beading on doors. Look bad. Sag after 3 yrs.

9. Front power window switches are not well positioned. The hand naturally falls to the rear switches.
Not to forget the very poor headlights in Swift. The headlights are so inadequate that it forces you to drive on high beam.

I also have a Palio, which has one of the best pair of headlights. The angle, the throw, the spread of the lights is just perfect. I never felt the need to drive on high beam. Infact, I used to think that people who drive on high beam are inconsiderate. But now after I have bought a Swift, I can understand that the car manufacturer's also have a role to play in this "Driving on High Beam" culture.

I had taken the test drive of the Swift in the day, if I would have driven it at night before buying, I would never have bought it.

I am sure that this would also be present in cars made by other manufacturers. Why can they not make cars which have a good set of headlights at the very least?
johnniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 17:00   #77
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
My list of annoyances with the Swift Vxi

1. Fuel Lid Opener and Boot Opener are too closely positioned. In the dark, tough to sight them even with the cabin light switched on. At least they could've been backlit!
Very true. Annoying at night. You need to feel both the levers and know in your mind what the left & right ones are for.
Quote:
2. Door pockets not deep enough - can only hold rolled up newspaper/parking tickets/cleaning cloth. Could have been better designed.

3. In the Vxi/Lxi, if you go in for a 1-Din HU, there's this ugly empty slot. This is a blackhole - what goes in, can't come out!
I got a 1-Din HU installed and I have retained the "ugly" slot with all its sides intact. So it works as a nice storage area for me.
Quote:
4. Stock wipers inadequate. Replace it every year.

5. Dead Pedal would have been good - can live without it though.

6. Lumbar support would've really helped. I get a slight lower back ache after 2 hrs of driving in the traffic.

7. Panel gaps. The sheer amount of leaves/twigs/debris that slip into the engine compartment/near the boot hinges is amazing!

8. Horrible rubber beading on doors. Look bad. Sag after 3 yrs.

9. Front power window switches are not well positioned. The hand naturally falls to the rear switches.
True for the rest.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 17:59   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Swift/Dzire- absence of electric ORVMs ( even Estilo has 'em )
Spark- absence of tachometer ( even 40 thou rupees bikes have 'em ).

These are the only hatchbacks I find appealing among the present available lot, besides Nano .
Well if it helps the Nano doesn't come with a glove box, something as simple as that. All the cost cutting but why the glove box.
indianchiefrsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 18:13   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I dont know if this is Off Topic, but I know this thread will surely have some people with the info I am looking for.

How good are the door speakers of Ford Endeavor? A friend of mine gave me 4 of them. If they are reasonably good, I would want to put in one of my cars.
Are there any Ford Endeovor users here?

By the way, fantastic thread this. I hope some auto manufacturers are watching this thread
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 19:06   #80
BHPian

I read the posts, the Fiesta does seem to have a problem...of placing the cig lighter under hand brake..
My Santro Xing has the same prob...but its the bottle holder..its placed under the handbrake..u cant keep nething thr.. and i hv observed this.. the steering in my car is slightly on the left hand side and not in dead center...!!!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Dippy : 29th January 2010 at 13:01. Reason: See note at the end of your post.
sameern.85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 20:04   #81
SDP
Team-BHP Support

My 2 cents:
1. Lack of a left hand side mirror when I bought by Alto 6 years back. Not sure why some manufactures still consider the left hand side ORVM as an 'accessory'.
2. Glass on rear-doors doesn't roll all the way down.
3. Have driven a few cars in US where you could change the angle of the inside rear view mirror (without affecting the view). Used to be very useful when the headlights of the car behind you are irritating you. Minor thing, but very useful.
4. Stolen logos. Isn't there a way the car-designers can stop this?
5. Vibrating wheel-caps. Why can't the rims have a little groove so that the wheel-cap outer edge fits nicely into the groove and does not vibrate.
6. Rats chewing on wires and pipes under the hood. Isn't there a way to avoid this by better design?
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 20:40   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
My 2 cents:
4. Stolen logos. Isn't there a way the car-designers can stop this?
5. Vibrating wheel-caps. Why can't the rims have a little groove so that the wheel-cap outer edge fits nicely into the groove and does not vibrate.
6. Rats chewing on wires and pipes under the hood. Isn't there a way to avoid this by better design?
For 6: you can A refer to this thread, though loosely related but it might be able to help with other nasty surprises.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...69-snakes.html (Snakes!)

Also I doubt anything can be done about this save making the wire concealed in something that is bite proof but I reckon it'll add a considerable cost to the Vehicle.
A cheaper option would be to use rat poison around the affected areas, rats are usually instinctive about such things as in they don't usually revisit a place where another rat died. The flip side is that you may discover a dead rat in your car which has its own draw backs. I don't know if any rat repellents exist in the market. Do they?

4. For the logo's it would help if they bolted them to the body as opposed to gluing them. Sometimes they might just fall off and hence people think its stolen. Is just a possibility. It just a question no offense meant.
indianchiefrsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 22:23   #83
BHPian

Default Here goes my list

Folks,

Here is my list for those little but high on usability (and sometimes safety) count that should be present in all cars; I am sure some if not most of these are covered already in this thread:

MUST:
1. automatic door locks after few seconds of starting the engine, with door ajar/open warning; how many times we see doors are not properly closed in running cars?
2. switching off the headlights and other lights with turning off the engine; very beneficial specially at nights while stopping on traffic signals, one control does all
3. Back-lit switches/controls for all that a driver can and need to control; lights in these switches must turn on once the headlight is turned on.
4. headlight level adjustment facility
5. ABS, helps getting way better traction in challenging road surfaces or situations
6. Engine double cranking prevention
7. Reverse gear engagement lock
8. Prismatic day-and-night vision rear view mirror, a must in all cars
9. Presence of both ORVMS; some manufacturers omit this, which I find hard to reason out. How much does it save? 1000-2000 bucks at the max?
10. A pair of indicator, reversing, brake and stop lights each at the back; some manufacturers cut corners here
11. Provision of a dead pedal
12. Manual rolling down of one window at least, may be on the driver's side, if power window button is present

WISHLIST:
1. Dual beam headlights with two lamps, each one for high and low beams. So that, when one really needs to illuminate the road, specially on a rainy night on a poorly lit (or no lights) bad road, both can be used.
2. Couple of sweeps of the wiper with windshield washer activated, to clean the windshield
3. boot light that gets activated on opening of the boot
4. remote boot/tailgate opener in th ekey fob; helps when carrying a lot of stuffs with both hands
5. Central control panel (console) tilted towards driver and within close reach for better ergonomics
6. Equipping a rear windshield wiper in sedans, like hatchbacks; our roads are so dirty during monsoon that without this I sometimes find it difficult to drive; more so after driving a hatchback that has one. This will improve the visibility in sedans
7. Manual lever for boot/tailgate opening if electronic control is present

Last edited by pratim : 28th January 2010 at 22:30.
pratim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:59   #84
BHPian

Default Re: A must read for Car Manufacturers/Designer's - Little things that annoy you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Nice thread.
But guys you know, the cars are basically an end result of product management and costs.
==============
Attracting customers to buy expensive cars by showing safety equipments as lolipop? Donno!

Thanks for reading.
Very rightly said Vibhanshu (the first part). I work with an automobile company and have seen how hell bent the companies are on reducing the cost. Not only during the design phase but also during the entire product life cycle. Something that would be just a Rs 100 cost impact for the customer translates to a sum of Rs 50 Lakhs/annum to the company (Assuming a sale of 50,000 units per year). The company can either pass on the amount to the customer or bear it on itself. Passing on every such cost to the customer would increase the car prices and shoo the customer away or else would put many small dents to the company profits.

Regarding your second point, I can see how its easy to believe that there wouldn't be any cost involved. But availability of every add-on feature would effectively create 5 new variants for the company (if the car has 5 colours). Plus if there are different emmission norms, double the number of variants. This is all for just one feature. If every feature was available as an A la Carte menu item, the number of variants, their inventory management, stocks for each variant etc would become a huge headache. plus much more sophisticated line feeding techniques would be required. Orders from suppliers would involve need for excess stock as prediction of demand for every component would go for a toss and result in huge inventory costs. Also, many features thought to be simple additions actually require a lot of changes. Lets take the example of the rear wiper. It would be easy to think that its just a simple single accessory, but would involve a change of many parts - Rear door/hatch/Glass (whichever is used to mount the wiper), wiring harness and the combination switch. I am not even counting the actual wiper here. If you move on to more advanced features like ABS or Cruise control, bigger changes are required, especially when it involves different controllers communicating with each other. However much i too would like to have this flexibility, this seems to be a distant dream given the constraints.
niteshbids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:48   #85
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A must read for Car Manufacturers/Designer's - Little things that annoy you.

I recently drove a friend's Ritz. I was surprised and also annoyed to discover that the IRVM is not a prismatic one. In a country where most of the vehicles drive on high beam, it becomes such an important feature! Is it possible to add such an IRVM later?

Similary, I find it irritating when the reflection of the high beam of the car behind me falls on my face from my left ORVM. I wish I had a way to close the left ORVM just for that moment. I wish the manufacturers provided a way to adjust the passenger side ORVM electrically.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote