Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th January 2010, 12:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

I don't mind paying toll, provided the toll is nominal and the roads are kept pothole free & smooth. They (the govt) should not give reasons like monsoons or mine trucks or whatever.

But first, they have to complete the highway works and then collect toll. For example, the toll collection on NH-48 in Bellur cross, which was actually for a bridge constructed some umpteen years ago. They are still collecting toll even though the whole stretch is being remade/widened and the road users are facing hardships. Btw, they are actually constructing a new bridge next to the old one. So does that mean, people using the new bridge do not have to pay toll here? Daylight robbery this is. I never used to pay toll to these idiots until one day they started using gates.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 12:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Should NH be charged Toll? A strict NO.

Keep it separate. Toll roads are for those who can afford. And normal NH should be for others. But, our govt. forgets that and turns all NH to a Toll road.

They cannot "force" the citizens to use ONLY toll roads. So, the road tax is only for state roads is it?

Already the commodities are rising north. And if govt. implement this fully, then imagine.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 12:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Already the commodities are rising north. And if govt. implement this fully, then imagine.
Currently the Shimla Apples in Bangalore cost Rs 85 per KG. If this is implemented it may become Rs 300 Per KG or even more.

Look at the distance and no of times the truck needs to pay the toll tax before reaching Bangalore from Shimla.

I think then importing from Australia by flight would be much cheaper.

Poor farmers and common man will suffer.
kadri007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 12:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
Or they should start accepting credit cards!
Well, in that case, the toll charges will definetly go high. With cash, atleast, the money goes direct to NHAI, with the credit cards, the money will go to the credit card company, the bank providing the service & then to NHAI. So a strict NO to credit cards.

Quote:
The only reason for rise of price is due to black economy.

Tolls are welcome & with more vehicles flocking in (additional thanks to the inflation), I'm sure the high price of toll that we see now will appear to be peanuts in few years now.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 13:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Tolls are welcome & with more vehicles flocking in (additional thanks to the inflation), I'm sure the high price of toll that we see now will appear to be peanuts in few years now.
Tolls are certainly welcome. But not on the current NHs.

It should be like Mysore Road & NICE road. Give me options. I will decide which one to take. And not the govt who should force public to take only tolls.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 13:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Should NH be charged Toll? A strict NO.

Keep it separate. Toll roads are for those who can afford. And normal NH should be for others. But, our govt. forgets that and turns all NH to a Toll road.

They cannot "force" the citizens to use ONLY toll roads. So, the road tax is only for state roads is it?
I completely agree to this statement. Under no circumstance can the Govt. force people to pay a toll. As a tax paying citizen, we are all entitled to use the Highways free of charge. I mean, we do pay road tax. That should be used to compensate toll. If there is need for a toll road, there should be a toll free alternative as well.
Interestingly, i read this article in a local Kanada magazine in which a guy demanded a compensation from the state govt. when his vehicle broke an axle while traveling near Shiradi ghat. I could not help but laugh at that! At this rate, the govt will go bust paying compensation if all sued them!
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 15:48   #22
BHPian

I think in US also most of the highway road have tolls ,so paying toll is for very good is not an issue.But at the same time how many total in the total distance is what we need to calculate.Form chennai to trichy at present there are 5 tolls and 6th one is going come up very soon.so in a stretch of 320km 6 tolls which is very high.I prefer paying toll for 3-4 and not more than that.

Also government should charge less for goods carrying vehicles to keep the vegetable /fruits price low.
Sudan_NFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 16:13   #23
BHPian

We can pay toll as long as the road remains good and all the other services to be provided are met.

Road once laid good should stay good. What is the point if they just collect toll but road quality worsens. Chennai-blr highway is an example, it used to be soo good earlier now its' pathetic especially after hyundai and until st. gobain factory on both sides.

it has also so many small lanes/roads joining the highway due to which there are so many accidents. There are no proper signboards on entry/exit points as well.

somehow i feel we are not ready for these express highways. look at large number of accidents, lack of safety, irrationale driving etc.
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 16:21   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I fully support mjothi. All over the world there are toll free routes (more or less) parallel to the toll roads. In India -NO.

Also I hear that the reason for this policy is to make all babus and their hangers on no pay tolls. What utter crap! Let everyone pay be it the President of India or Laxman's Common Man, and then the POI claim it back. Much easier and simpler.

Also, there must be a mechanism to penalise the organisation charging tolls for sub-standard NHs of which there are plenty. Otherwise we will have to reply ion the press.

At present take NH25 (Kanpur-Lucknow and part of the GQ). The state of the road is pathetic and yet there is a toll near Lucknow.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 17:34   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
and then the POI claim it back. Much easier and simpler....
You got to be kidding sir.. in our system where income tax refunds (amounting to thousands of rupees) take ages to come by, I shudder at the thought of individuals claiming double digit amounts spent on toll

But yes, there should be toll, provided users are able to get enough bang for their buck!
AlokSriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 17:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

I second the people who feel that fast, well maintained and safe toll roads are the way to go but road users should have options. There is no point in forcing everyone to use the toll road only.
I guess its time we had figures for the percentage of vehicles on parallel stretches using toll roads and those using non-toll parallel roads if possible. That would make this more interesting.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 18:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

I don't mind paying toll as long as the roads are kept well maintained, pothole free and if the toll is to be collected after every 100 kms at least but, there should be a decent number of alternatives to the toll roads as well.
aparth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 19:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tolls are certainly welcome. But not on the current NHs.

It should be like Mysore Road & NICE road. Give me options. I will decide which one to take. And not the govt who should force public to take only tolls.
When I welcome the toll, naturally I meant the NH to be like the one you said and not like the one below in NH205. The picture has been shot well on a bright sunlight during non peak hours, it still appears foggy because of the dust

Quote:
I fully support mjothi. All over the world there are toll free routes (more or less) parallel to the toll roads. In India -NO.
Sir, if you meant all over world as the US & Europe, then that world is too far now for us to catch up with.

Quote:
Also I hear that the reason for this policy is to make all babus and their hangers on no pay tolls. What utter crap! Let everyone pay be it the President of India or Laxman's Common Man, and then the POI claim it back. Much easier and simpler.
I agree to this & when I pay toll, I expect none less than this.
Attached Thumbnails
All National Highways to charge toll tax-picture-006.jpg  

All National Highways to charge toll tax-picture-007.jpg  

All National Highways to charge toll tax-picture-008.jpg  

All National Highways to charge toll tax-picture-009.jpg  

All National Highways to charge toll tax-picture-010.jpg  

Old 25th January 2010, 23:10   #29
BHPian

Here are some road pics which i had taken during some of my travels.

The first & second pic is from NH 48 in BC Road - Mangalore Stretch. The road condition is just pathetic.

If government wants to fix toll for such highway, will people pay for it.

The Third pic is from Mumbai- Pune Express way. Seeing the road condition anyone would be willing to pay a premium for using this road. Its worth the drive.

The fourth pic is from Kodyadka - Mudabidri road, basically a village road in Coastal Karnataka.

Now compare the village road with National Highway.
Attached Thumbnails
All National Highways to charge toll tax-kadri007_1.jpg  

All National Highways to charge toll tax-kadri007_2.jpg  

All National Highways to charge toll tax-kadri007_3.jpg  

All National Highways to charge toll tax-kadri007_4.jpg  

kadri007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 06:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

@@Kardi007 - Atleast in your post, there's a sign of work in progress. I'm showing a picture where the road deterioration is in progress with no sign of improvement.