BHPian

Default Re: All National Highways to charge toll tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I always wonder where all the taxes collected from motor vehicles go
- Fuel Surcharge
- Registration Fees
- Road Tax
You pay taxes for Infrastructure development but still you have to pay all the above tax, even to use the NH. We are killed with various taxes all around.

I also heard that to use SH in karnataka you will need to pay tax very soon.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 14:27   #47
BHPian

The Yamuna Expressway which is being built by Jaypee Group in Greater Noida, will be ready by Dec 11 and will cost Rs 210 and Rs 220 per trip for cars. it would take at least half-an-hour for visitors to reach the tourist site.

Sources said the expressway has the design speed of 120kmph, but the speed limit would be 100kmph. Interestingly, UP government has not notified the speed limit on any of its roads unlike several other states. And, unlike other expressways, the 165-km expressway allows plying of two-wheelers and all other registered vehicles.

However, to address safety concerns, the developer will get CCTV cameras fixed at an interval of every 3-4 kilometres. Sources said the developer has already started procuring about a dozen mobile radars to monitor speeding. "There will be one highway patrol for every 25km, besides exclusive fire brigades. This will be the first road in the country to have video incidental detection system ( VIDS) for detection of mishaps and violation of traffic norms," said a source.

Source -http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Yamuna-e-way-to-be-ready-by-Dec/articleshow/8957745.cms
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 14:47   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

One major flaw. All over the world whenever you have a toll road, there is an alternative non-toll route. Go to France and you will see 'Bis' all over on the highway signposts. We have been most short sighted in upgrading existing roads. One result the fatal mix of everything from cattle to Ferrari on the same road. Also, I will like to know what percentage of the taxes we pay as Road Tax and as cess on Fuel go into roads, and how much of it vanishes into the black hole called the consolidated fund of India.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 19:07   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
The Yamuna Expressway which is being built by Jaypee Group in Greater Noida, will be ready by Dec 11.

Sources said the expressway has the design speed of 120kmph, but the speed limit would be 100kmph. Interestingly, UP government has not notified the speed limit on any of its roads unlike several other states. And, unlike other expressways, the 165-km expressway allows plying of two-wheelers and all other registered vehicles.
Since you have quoted the speeds on the Yamuna Expressway, here is another point I am told about the Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway.
Motor vehicles move at an average speed of 60-80kmph or even more on this expressway.So when it was initially opened , there were numerous pedestrian deaths.Statistically it was established that most of the erstwhile rural folk living around here were among the killed victims and they decided to make foot over bridges and a few subways for pedestrians. Then it came to light that the rural folk wanted to cross the road with their cattle and so how use the foot over bridges?
These are real and practical problems from the Indian context and the buffalo hits on the many multi-lane expressways, including the Mumbai-Pune Expressway are matters that haunt the average motorist.
sgiitk has also cited practical difficulties from our Indian context vis a vis the Western expressways..

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd June 2011 at 19:11.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 19:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

I think this is ridiculous.

I remember the old days when the entire family would go road tripping. Tolls were unheard off. We were free to drive anywhere in the country. The state provided the roads, and we just drove on it.
Why do we have to pay toll tax. The country should provide free good roads to all its citizens. If you want to charge for specific roads, then provide and alternative free good road for citizens to use, those who cannot afford to pay toll or dont want to use a toll road.

The citizen cannot be held at ransom to pay toll. Not everyone wants to pay toll and not everyone can. How can the state restrict the citizens right to mobility by restricting free movement of its citizens by charging toll.

They can charge a toll for the Puna expressway - that is a purpose built road for fast intercity connectivity. Why do I have to pay toll on the old puna highway. That was always a free road. Why dont I have a choice?
Is the state doing me a favour by providing me with a road?
Or is this country now incapable of building itself without squeezing its citizens high n dry??

One may argue that this is a worldwide phenomenon - toll roads.
Its unfair, i refuse to accept this. Because it happens in half the countries in the world, it doesnt have to be right. Because over half the world eats fast food, it doesnt have to be healthy.
Look at the west - Amreeka - they are suffering from an obesity epidemic due to their own fast food culture. Enough proof that we dont have to follow in their footsteps.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 22:29   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

The Delhi- Gurgaon expressway clicked by me in the morning.The traffic is sparse hence. It is 3+3 lane here due to the flyover landing.
Name:  Picture 030.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  133.3 KB

Name:  Picture 031.jpg
Views: 1517
Size:  130.2 KB

Name:  Picture 032.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  133.5 KB
Old 24th June 2011, 14:52   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Delhi- Gurgaon expressway clicked by me in the morning.The traffic is sparse hence. It is 3+3 lane here due to the flyover landing.
That must have been taken very very early morning otherwise this expressway to full chaos throughout the day.

Why can't authority make road keeping future growth in mind. This expressway is already almost 100% utlized. And now they plan to make alternative route to ease the traffic on this expresway. Completely outregous.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 08:05   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more tit-bits on this Delhi-Jaipur Expressway:
-Ambulances with beacons and sirens regularly move from the Jaipur direction towards Delhi carrying some patient needy of medical care.That is very logical as Delhi provides the best medical facilities (subject to the patient going to the right hands) in the region.
-On the Saturday-Sunday intervening night (9 pm to 4 am, 25-26th June 2011) 600 drivers were booked in a special campaign against drunk driving by the police.The 600 drivers were found with more than 30 mg of alcohol per 100 ml in their blood stream.Cops say drunk driving is rampant on this highway (NH 8).
During June 2011 about 2200 challans were issued for the offence.Thats a very good corrective measure by the cops.
-In another development,fed up with the poor driving conditions on this expressway,a NGO named Chetna has served a legal notice to the NHAI, Delhi and Gurgaon police to solve some problems the NGO lists as chronic here.
These include :
)plying of two and three wheelers which are not permitted to ply. These move at slow speeds, use the right lane and turn suddenly all reasons for causing pile-ups and accidents.
)Motor vehicles enter from the wrong side into NH 8 via the Ambience Mall despite the presence of guards there.
)They also subscribe to the view that drunk driving is rampant on this highway.
)Ambulances and police vehicles need to be kept ready for emergencies.
)Lane driving by trucks and buses should be enforced.
The operators who charge toll tax M/s DSC Ltd says that they try to prevent slow moving vehicles but do not have enforcement powers including booking the violators.
Meanwhile some more pictures clicked by me:
Name:  DSC07441.JPG
Views: 1227
Size:  129.8 KB

Name:  DSC07442.JPG
Views: 1214
Size:  130.3 KB

Name:  DSC07493.JPG
Views: 1263
Size:  125.7 KB

Name:  DSC07486.JPG
Views: 1619
Size:  129.2 KB

Name:  DSC07549.JPG
Views: 1239
Size:  128.9 KB

Name:  DSC07546.JPG
Views: 1583
Size:  134.3 KB

Name:  DSC07494.JPG
Views: 1145
Size:  126.0 KB

Name:  DSC07495.JPG
Views: 1146
Size:  127.6 KB

Name:  DSC07496.JPG
Views: 1155
Size:  135.3 KB

Name:  DSC07497.JPG
Views: 1133
Size:  136.4 KB
Old 15th December 2012, 08:09   #54
Senior - BHPian

A small relief.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i.../17620587.cms?

Quote:
In a major shift from its earlier stand of bringing more roads under toll network, the highways ministry would drop any proposal to charge toll on two-lane highways. Sources said that this view has emerged following consensus among officials that providing a minimum two-lane highway is government's "social responsibility".
Surprised, from when the Govt started thinking of its responsibility? Anyway, a welcome move.
mjothi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 15:26   #55
BHPian

This has become the new cash cow for politicians and their 'friends'. Roads are are not a luxury, they are absolute basic to growth and development.

After that is done then the next phase can be toll roads. But the basic roads that the country needs to commute cannot be.

That's why there are taxes, and we are among the highest taxed with 42 percent of every new car going to taxes.

Look at the state of the expressway, inspite of being highly tolled its progressively deteriorated. Very soon IRB will hand it back to the government and walk away with needless to say excessive profits. Nobody will pay the price, just the consumer.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 15:38   #56
BHPian

I pay Road Tax (state), Income tax (central) and to add to all this I pay a huge set of taxes (state and central) for each litre of petrol my car consumes.

Will the government be subject to any kind of accountability? Biggest scum bag!
Will all the money collected as toll be used for maintaining these roads alone??

Hope this money does not go into the poll sops offered by the bewitched parties. will have to sing Kumbaya to all such nonsense!
ajay2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 15:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One major flaw. All over the world whenever you have a toll road, there is an alternative non-toll route. Go to France and you will see 'Bis' all over on the highway signposts. We have been most short sighted in upgrading existing roads. One result the fatal mix of everything from cattle to Ferrari on the same road. Also, I will like to know what percentage of the taxes we pay as Road Tax and as cess on Fuel go into roads, and how much of it vanishes into the black hole called the consolidated fund of India.
I have always been saying this. What are we paying the road tax for? We pay road tax and then again the toll, is it not repetition? Government is taking double tax for the same thing.
byomjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 19:40   #58
BHPian

I am dont mind paying a decent amount as toll for good quality roads , provided the Rs.2 surcharge on fuel under the name "highway cess" is waived off. (somebody correct me if I am wrong on the surcharge part)
nettooran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 21:16   #59
Senior - BHPian

There is a move to reduce the toll by 70% on the roads which are yet fully complete and operational. If it is implemented then it would go a long way in ensuring that we get the bang for our buck on major highways. Another irksome part is people entering TAG ONLY lane and then paying for the use, thereby, delaying the other TAG USERS thus defeating their entire purpose of having bought the TAG. They should also be challaned.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 21:50   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
There is a move to reduce the toll by 70% on the roads which are yet fully complete and operational. If it is implemented then it would go a long way in ensuring that we get the bang for our buck on major highways. Another irksome part is people entering TAG ONLY lane and then paying for the use, thereby, delaying the other TAG USERS thus defeating their entire purpose of having bought the TAG. They should also be challaned.
This is a problem else where in most cities too buddy. In any toll area there is a slot for free entry for vehicle bearing local registration number. I have seen many cars of other registration entering that lane and when the attendant stops the car the drivers starts arguing and creating a traffic jam for no reason. This attitude is difficult to change until challaned high.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote