Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th May 2010, 20:38   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Please define too hyped?

What other options do we have when it comes to automotive channels?

Yes I agree that not all channels are to everyone's liking but isnt that the case with every channel?

Its a step in the right direction & am hoping that as time goes by we should see some better programs.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 20:44   #242
Team-BHP Support

I also wrote in to Airtel DTH asking them to consider getting Discovery Turbo into their list of channels. They gave me the same reply as another member had posted on this thread earlier.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 12:33   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Please define too hyped?

What other options do we have when it comes to automotive channels?

Yes I agree that not all channels are to everyone's liking but isnt that the case with every channel?

Its a step in the right direction & am hoping that as time goes by we should see some better programs.
Not a single program is produced by Discovery, all are borrowed from various UK, Australian and US channels and most of them are more than 3 years old. if you have seen current episodes of American Chopper, Biker build-offs and 5th gear in the UK you would realize this.

17 pages of ga-ga over this channel was what I was referring, Try asking the same people who posted earlier, they might have a different opinion now.

Just because options are limited, I would not bias my opinion.I do like TURBO and only hoped it would have been better.

It's like launching Qualis in India, and rest of the world gets newer and latest tech.

No Offence meant mate !
2theMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 18:22   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Well most of the channels are from Discovery Europe & other network channels of Discovery.

Yes The shows are old but we were happy that we are getting something which is better than nothing

As for the hype, Yes I must admit that my opinion is changing too as it started very well with Non repeated 5th gear episodes & also serials like Overhaulin & street customs which are strangely now discontinued.

So Yes it is going downwards from where it started. But when it started the programs were really good & not much was getting repeated like it does today.

Having said that there are still a few nice shows like Wheeler Dealers & Auto Trader etc

Yep no offence from my side either, just wanted to clarify
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 21:29   #245
BHPian

I really want to have this channel. In fact have already contacted Sun Direct for the same but they dont have this in their line up right now. Though, they said it might be included in their list soon. Just keeping my fingers crossed.
Repsol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 16:34   #246
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Last evening's 5th gear was a true classic (actually so, its...ummm...old). Vicky was trying to destroy a W124 Estate, and rather unsuccessfully at that. They even tried to kill it in 3 feet deep water and then have a monster truck drive all over it. Guess what? The electricals worked and so did the engine start. This, in an example with 1,70,000 kms on the clock. A true tank man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
Not a single program is produced by Discovery, all are borrowed from various UK, Australian and US channels and most of them are more than 3 years old.
Lets cut them some slack. Discovery Turbo has only just started off. Sure, the programming is between 1 - 3 years old, but its not like they have all been aired in India. The reason they show old episodes is (I presume), the older stuff is cheaper to buy. This remains the single 24x7 channel for petrolheads. And the programming - old or new - is still a treat compared to the rubbish our desi car shows churn out.

Don't see any advertisements on the channel, all they air between episodes is promotions of other shows. Car enthusiasts are a miniscule % of the tv audience out there, and I don't suppose Discovery's exclusive tieup with Tata Sky has helped either. I hope they gain momentum sooner rather than later. More viewers = increased ad $$$ = better / newer content.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 16:44   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
and I don't suppose Discovery's exclusive tieup with Tata Sky has helped either. I hope they gain momentum sooner rather than later. More viewers = increased ad $$$ = better / newer content.
There is no exclusive tieup with Tata Sky. This channel is available on SCV Cable's Set Top Box as well in Chennai. Tata Sky may have an exclusive only among the DTH operators. Mr Bean, thanks for letting me know this channel is available on the SCV box.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 19:20   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This remains the single 24x7 channel for petrolheads. And the programming - old or new - is still a treat compared to the rubbish our desi car shows churn out.
totally agree. its an old show fine. I really enjoy watching even those old shows again and again! Way Tiff TD the cars, i simply enjoy watching them! But yes, we definately need some Indian flavour for this, say GTO can host a "GTO style" TD on Discovery Turbo that will be awesome for sure!

OT:
Any one watched LAMBO Mega factory last Saturday 20:00 hours on NGC. Awesome stuff. next week its RR.
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 10:42   #249
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep there are some good shows, like auto trader, wheeler dealer. Overhauling which is the best, is no longer being aired. It is exlusive to TATA Sky on DTH.

It needs to be appreciated, it has also taken the wind out of most news channel auto shows and now only about half remain in just 3 months of Turbo Discovery existing.

One can't go to this channel for the latest news of latest cars launched either in India or the world or for comparos between Indian cars, but then the existing new channel shows were of no use either, for that kind of news it is back to TBHP and the Car Mags.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 10:55   #250
BHPian

Had called up Hathway customer care yesterday. The customer care executive sounded pretty sleepy and uninterested. He said that Discovery turbo is available on channel no. 505. But there wasn't any such channel. Later he told that this channel is not available in my area, that is Goregaon. He said that he has forwarded my request for Discovery Turbo to Hathway. Let's see what happens next.

Does anybody else gets Discovery Turbo on their Hathway connection?
aman9393 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:56   #251
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman9393 View Post
Had called up Hathway customer care yesterday. The customer care executive sounded pretty sleepy and uninterested. He said that Discovery turbo is available on channel no. 505. But there wasn't any such channel. Later he told that this channel is not available in my area, that is Goregaon. He said that he has forwarded my request for Discovery Turbo to Hathway. Let's see what happens next.

Does anybody else gets Discovery Turbo on their Hathway connection?
Can confirm the reverse that My parents DO NOT get Discovery Turbo on their Hathway Settop box at Chembur.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 13:31   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not a single program is produced by Discovery, all are borrowed from various UK, Australian and US channels and most of them are more than 3 years old. if you have seen current episodes of American Chopper, Biker build-offs and 5th gear in the UK you would realize this.
We dont live in Europe. So people in India haven't even seen most of these programmes, let alone watching older episodes.

To me, every show on Turbo is new and i can never get tired of watching it. Moreover, there is no other channel like it over here. Once the competition starts building up. they will automatically update themselves.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 16:35   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Last evening's 5th gear was a true classic (actually so, its...ummm...old). Vicky was trying to destroy a W124 Estate, and rather unsuccessfully at that. They even tried to kill it in 3 feet deep water and then have a monster truck drive all over it. Guess what? The electricals worked and so did the engine start. This, in an example with 1,70,000 kms on the clock. A true tank man.
I remember this show, saw it wayyyyyyyyyyy back on Travel and Living I think. This - sums up my reaction when the Merc's engine started after all the pounding it took.
Urban_Nomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 08:40   #254
BHPian

i love this channel but some of the shows are really not good. the shows i love are

1) fifth gear
2) auto trader
3) wheeler dealers
4) wrecks to riches
M5_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 11:24   #255

Oh man! I had it on my TV with the last cable operator. But just after a month my friendly neighborhood cable guy decided to change the operator.

It was a blase watching it. Reminded of my Canada days. You have a 24h motoring channel called SPEED TV there.

I shall try to be a good boy this year and ask Santa to gift us Indians with Speed TV. I wouldn't mind a few others joining me too.
The Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote