Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th July 2010, 00:07   #286
Team-BHP Support

The sad part about the Discovery turbo is they are still airing episodes so dated that for them old gen Cayenne is a new car, Now even countries like India already have a newer generation Cayenne available for sale .
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 16:22   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Yesterday, I saw an Ad for the first time in Discovery Turbo.

It was the ad of "Incredible India". Good going.
I missed this. I am certain they will get more adverts, which would ensure the channel does not close down in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The sad part about the Discovery turbo is they are still airing episodes so dated that for them old gen Cayenne is a new car, Now even countries like India already have a newer generation Cayenne available for sale .
Once they get more advertisements and get more pisa into their system, they can secure rights to more recent seasons.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 13:32   #288
BHPian

I am speculating, but Incredible India ads may not be paid for. Am inclined to think running these ads are an a IB ministry requirement.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:28   #289
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Absolute drool stuff is the newest 5th gear being aired. Caught it late saturday night. The show started with a Punto Abarth (including a highly tuned 180 BHP version) and then....

Bruno Senna putting the GT-R & 911 Turbo through their paces. Man, he's seriously one cool dude. Even went to the extent of saying "The Nissan GT-R shifts quicker than a Formula 2 car!". Of course, the GT-R clocked a quicker laptime. Porsche (predictably) suffered from weight bias issues, front end was too light. The Nissan, apparently, is better planted.

Discovery Turbo remains no.1 on my Tata Sky's favourite channel list.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 20:17   #290
Team-BHP Support

Man, there is a "Off The Road" program everyday from 7:30 pm - 8:00 pm and must say it is TOTAL VFM. Just too good. They show different kind of vehciles doing off-road in different terrains. Vehciles that we in India would never imagine for off-road.

For example, today they showed all kind of Military trucks & even amphibian vehicles doing some mud bashing where people have bought these trucks ONLY for off-roading.

2 more good things I like about this program:

#1: A tip on Off Road driving via the land rover driver experience program
#2: A section about the Malaysian Rainforest Challange

A daily MUST watch for me now-a-days.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 23:55   #291
Team-BHP Support

Slightly off-topic here, but I'd stumbled upon this program that aired on Fox History this evening called 'Vroom Vroom'. It seems to be a Brit car show along the lines of TG. But they aren't anything like TG. They have their own quirkiness which I liked. It was pretty funny.

Just like in TG, celebrities are invited to drive around a small power-track. But the difference is that they are made to drive around in a fur-covered car and they would be chased around by another car painted to look like a big cat! They too, have several challenges like 'country-face-offs' where they generally pit 3 cars from 3 different countries (UK, Germany and Japan) and in every show, they add points to the main score-card that holds true till all the challenges are over after the entire season! I quite liked the way they presented the show.

And I wonder, why isn't it aired on Discovery Turbo?!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd September 2010 at 23:56. Reason: corrected a grammatical error
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 08:37   #292
BHPian

Frankly its is because of discovery turbo , that i have started watching tv again , but the thing is they are airing very old episodes of fifthgear . Yesterday i was watching the review of the ZONDA f , now the car was launched way back in 2005 !! . Nevertheless it was fantastic to watch with Mr. Pagani himself cleaning the car before giving it to the presenter , the noise, the looks what a car !!. Now they need to show the new series of fifthgear , in which there are cars like 458 italia , lexus lfa.
skyline gtr r34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 10:07   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Absolute drool stuff is the newest 5th gear being aired. Caught it late saturday night. The show started with a Punto Abarth (including a highly tuned 180 BHP version) and then....

Bruno Senna putting the GT-R & 911 Turbo through their paces. Man, he's seriously one cool dude. Even went to the extent of saying "The Nissan GT-R shifts quicker than a Formula 2 car!". Of course, the GT-R clocked a quicker laptime. Porsche (predictably) suffered from weight bias issues, front end was too light. The Nissan, apparently, is better planted.

I saw that too. Both models of the Abarth looked strikingly fabulous.
As regards the Nissan GTR, I think he also mentioned that it costs less than half of the Porche.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 10:15   #294
Team-BHP Support

Sorry GTO - these are not the newest 5th gear episodes. Easlity a year or so ago. Thy normally add a new one during the weekend. Rest of the weak are various repeats
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2010, 17:11   #295
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I never thought I'd say this about ads, but its fantastic to see advertisements on Discovery. To me, it means that the channel will survive

A+ series named the "Secret Life of Formula 1". I thoroughly enjoyed (and learned from) the episode on telemetry.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 13:43   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any Team-Bhpian with TataSky must be on this setting:
900 - Discovery Turbo

My 3 yr old knows how to get to 'Dada's channel' at anytime with the flick of the 'Fav button'

He was shocked when it did not work at my relatives place. poor lil guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Man, there is a "Off The Road" program everyday from 7:30 pm - 8:00 pm and must say it is TOTAL VFM. Just too good.

A daily MUST watch for me now-a-days.
Damm, now I regret not having the 'Plus'. I get back only at 9.30ish. I should check if and when it repeats.

Quote:
I never thought I'd say this about ads, but its fantastic to see advertisements on Discovery. To me, it means that the channel will survive
+1, Exactly and Quality products / brands. Was thrilled to bits as well. Plus like I said earlier, this means we may get more quality programming with more revenue coming into the channel.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 14:57   #297
Senior - BHPian

Darn, for the past month or so, I am no longer getting Discovery Turbo on my Hathway STB. I am not getting it on the Hathway direct cable too.

Funny thing is that the channel (504) is still blank. If I switch off the STB and then on, I get only the sound. I yelled at the Hathway guys and said I'd not pay the monthly bill till this is settled.
I believe that some series of set top boxes are having this issue, as other Hathway subscribers at Hyderabad still get to see Turbo.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 15:11   #298
BHPian

I love watching the build offs and the garage shows. Especially love wheeler dealers! I still can't get myself to watch much of 5th gear. Too old. That's why I go watch youtube for good ol TG. There's something about seeing Clarkson, Hammond and May together that 5th gear just doesn't total. Though I love 5th gear's track comparos.
valhallen.282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 16:02   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline gtr r34 View Post
......Now they need to show the new series of fifthgear , in which there are cars like 458 italia , lexus lfa.
They did air the show with the 458 Italia. Think it was a month back. And that wa sthe first time its looks struck me. And how!! It was drool stuff.
karpusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 13:55   #300
BHPian

Hey guys just caught a teaser on Dicovery turbo about the new season of Fifth Gear,American Chopper and Wheeler Dealers.The dates are as follows:

22 Oct 10:American Chopper.(Senior vs Junior)
25 Oct 10:Fifth Gear
29 Nov 10:Wheeler Dealers

One more thing i will like to share with you guys.I met a senior official of Tata Sky recently at an event and we discussed about this channel and he told me that Discovery Turbo is generating good TRPs even better then some saas bahu serials..So he said we can expect a lot in near future.
rahul016 is offline   Reply With Quote