Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd October 2010, 14:00   #301
Team-BHP Support

I subscribed to DT a few months ago and this channel is also on top of favorite list on my Tata Sky.

I love watching Fifth Gear, Wheeler Dealers, Trick my Truck.

Somehow i dont like American Choppers that much. Its just too much of talking and less of action for my liking.

Can someone point out which program shows exotics and do test drives and stuff like that apart from 5th gear?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:34   #302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I subscribed to DT a few months ago and this channel is also on top of favorite list on my Tata Sky.

I love watching Fifth Gear, Wheeler Dealers, Trick my Truck.

Somehow i dont like American Choppers that much. Its just too much of talking and less of action for my liking.

Can someone point out which program shows exotics and do test drives and stuff like that apart from 5th gear?
Well, Mobike008, there is this program called the Classic Car Club where they test drive and review older cars (pre '90s) and it's a fantastic watch for old school enthusiasts. I've watched a few episodes and in one of them, they test-drove a 246GT Dino and then quoted its value in today's market. In another one, they test-drove the fabulous E30 M3.

You might want to give this a try!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:42   #303
BHPian

Is it just me or are the European shows on Discovery Turbo really a cut above the American ones?

European shows
1. Fifth Gear
2. Wheeler Dealers (Love it!)
3. Auto Trader
4. Beetle Crisis
5. Wrecks to Riches (the one which used to air earlier: taking Cat D and Cat C insurance writeoffs)
6. Classic Car shows (2 of them)

vs

American shows
1. American Chopper
2. Drift Style
3. Wrecks to Riches (the new one with the guy named Barry restoring old American cars)
4. Trick my truck
5. Kustomizer
6. Street Customs
7. Overhaulin'

The Americans tend to make everything into a reality show with loads of drama (or is it dramebaazi?) instead of focus on the cars. Thats what irritates me about them. Still, Street Customs and Overhaulin' are better than the rest of the American shows.

The only exceptions to my assertion are Chop Shop: London Garage, which I detest(ugh!) and Overhaulin, which I like

Last edited by vipul_singh : 22nd October 2010 at 16:47.
vipul_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 17:08   #304
Senior - BHPian

American Choppers like the Saas-Bahu equivalent. Its more of talking between Sr and Jr.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:04   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul016 View Post
....I met a senior official of Tata Sky recently at an event and we discussed about this channel and he told me that Discovery Turbo is generating good TRPs even better then some saas bahu serials..So he said we can expect a lot in near future.
This is certainly very very interesting and its up to us to keep the TRPs up.

This channel has filled a huge void in the wide spread of channels. So hope to see this Channel grow more in popularity.

My only gripes with the programming are :

1) Top Gear. okay I understand cause its a BBC production.
I hope 'BBC Entertainment' atleast sees the TRPs and airs it.

2) Indian based shows? Indian 'Overhauling'? <highly optimistic>
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:45   #306
Team-BHP Support

Haha. Discovery Turbo is like my deep dark secret shame at home: I only watch it when I am at home after work (before the rest of the family start their viewing), or on the occasional weekday I am home and of course weekends in the daytime! The other day my wife looked on curiously as I kept it on without switching channels through Fifth Gear, Auto Trader and some program on vintage car owners! My average sttention span per channel is usually about 7 minutes, so this was a big surprise to her! Trust TBHP to be the place where I find so many more just like me!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 05:28   #307
Team-BHP Support

I still dont get as why Airtel doesnt see any need to add this channel to their list.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 09:09   #308
Senior - BHPian

I just love Wheeler Dealers, Overhaulin, Fifth gear & Trick my truck!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 09:35   #309
BHPian

Just stumbled across this thread, when I was thinking of starting one about Discovery Turbo. I thought I was the only one having discovered this channel. Am I glad there are plenty others! It's the channel of choice for me, sometimes even before the news.
Since I have TS+ with recording facility, I have set up recordings of Wheeler Dealer and Auto Trader and The Garage (which is a rocking show only on Sundays).
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 01:27   #310
BHPian

Hathway Digital cable (bangalore)too has added Discovery Turbo and Science. Not sure if it is available on regular cable service.
Pri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 13:14   #311

This is pretty disappointing.. I have made many calls to Airtel and spoken to them about Discovery Turbo, and all they have, is an apology..
Seasoned Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 14:36   #312
Senior - BHPian

My persistent calls to Hathaway succeeded finally in restoring Discovery Turbo on my set top box. I'm so glad to get it back after a gap of more than a month.

Meantime, I saw an ad on TV today from Dish TV. They say they've added Turbo and Science channels from Discovery for Rs 25 extra per month.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 21:58   #313
BHPian

I lost this channel now in Dish TV, though I have subscribed. No response from customer support yet,
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 22:33   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I still dont get as why Airtel doesnt see any need to add this channel to their list.
i can feel your pain mate

i am also waiting for that but everytime i call them they wil say it will be added shortly
Rahulkool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 23:01   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
Hathway Digital cable (bangalore)too has added Discovery Turbo and Science. Not sure if it is available on regular cable service.
It is available on regular cable service too. No need of paying extra bucks for this channel anymore. It started being aired on Hathway cable service and regular cable service in Bangalore almost at the same time.
Torque123 is offline   Reply With Quote