Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd April 2011, 13:41   #346
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The "Discovery Turbo" thread - A 24 hour automotive channel now on Indian TV

After a year of Discovery Turbo, I'm very disappointed. Bloody old shows, repeat after repeat. They are going the Maruti way!
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 16:08   #347
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The "Discovery Turbo" thread - A 24 hour automotive channel now on Indian TV

Yes the repetition is making the viewers sick, Discovery Science people triying to burn another hole in the CD or may be the programme director has given a impossion, each episode 100 times.

Last edited by chanu : 2nd April 2011 at 16:13.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 09:50   #348
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What a show last night! The Greatest Supercars ever made (@ 10 p.m.). Features & commentary (including from Eddie Irvine) on the best 10 exotics. Right from the Ferrari Enzo to the Jag E Type to the McLaren F1. Rank no. 2 was a surprise...the Mazda Miata! However, after hearing their reasons - affordable to most, still fun to drive, don't need 400 BHP to enjoy a car, led to a new breed of convertible sports cars - I'm understanding their POV (still don't agree though).

And the no.1 = Porsche 911. Same design & philosophy over 5 decades. Extreme yet practical. Quality inside out. And really, really reliable. I agree.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 10:40   #349
Senior - BHPian

@ GTO: Bits of the show you are talking about, can be watched on the web here -

More Greatest Ever Videos at YourDiscovery.com
Ace F355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 00:27   #350
BHPian

The show GTO is talking about really is awesome. Last week they showcased the greatest motorcycles.
The channel I think is improving as of late. New Fifth Gear episodes have come in albeit from older seasons. And if you are bored Discovery Turbo is the only channel you can watch apart from BBC entertainment when they are airing Top Gear!
veedub89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 09:27   #351
BHPian

Discovery Turbo is now available on Reliance BIG TV. Was contemplating changing to Tata Sky, but was not happy with the Tata Sky guide. Now I don't have to :-)
nkg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:42   #352
BHPian

Nothing interesting or spectacular on Disco Turbo. Most of the shows are mere custom build vehicle shows that serve no real world purpose. IMHO Wheeler Dealer seems to be the only sensible show on Turbo. In short, wasted money and air time.
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 12:51   #353
Senior - BHPian

Why has auto trader been discontinued?? :-(
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 13:34   #354
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta
Why has auto trader been discontinued?? :-(
It was a good show. I don't know why they discontinued it.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 15:38   #355
BHPian

Discovery Turbo is one of the most addictive channels ever.Its in channel #653 in Videocon D2H. Some of the most important shows are HOT Rod Tv,Overhaulin,American Chopper Sr Vs Jr,Chop shop, Auto Trader, Wheeler Dealer, Unique Whips,Twist the throttle etc. Leepu and Bernie beating old cars into new shapes (that are just conceived in the mind and not even on paper) in CHOP SHOP is just so awesome and it speaks to say how even Bangladesh is right up there. Wish there were some Indian shows of remodelling or designing new ones, just like what DC does, there on Discovery Turbo.I'm just back from Twist the Throttle in which the evolution of BMW bikes was presented in detail, Wow, what a show

Also check NGC's Super Cars at 10:00PM

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th October 2012 at 09:30. Reason: number of emoticons allowed per post is 2.
JEHU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 17:21   #356
BHPian

Default Re: Top Gear Season 18 coming in 2012!

BBC Entertainment is quitting India. They are quoting "delays in digitization and need for channel operators to pay cable platforms for carriage makes the economics of running channels very challenging at this time".

I hope that whenever Top Gear starts airing, they will find a channel or come back to air it in India.
sa_kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 17:22   #357
BHPian

bad news for the fans of top gear show, BBC Entertainment India to close down by end November.
I liked watching the old shows whenever time (and Wife) permitted
here is the link to the news item
http://www.campaignindia.in/Article/...-in-india.aspx
avingodb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 17:46   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
BBC Entertainment is quitting India.
I hope that whenever Top Gear starts airing, they will find a channel or come back to air it in India.
This is seriously bad news for me. Took my TV connection solely because it has BBC entertainment. Gonna miss my daily dose of Topgear and have to start watching from my hard-disk again. Although i hated them cutting the News section , i loved watching it. I dont watch other TV series. But, my friends are gonna miss Sherlock like series as well.

Kiran bro, you think they will come back ? Is it possible?

A bit off-topic : I dunno if its the right thread to ask this. Any of you guys watch Discovery Turbo ? How is that channel ? Gonna take a new connection probably Airtel, for that. No point in keeping the current connection now.
akhil_rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 17:50   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
A bit off-topic : I dunno if its the right thread to ask this. Any of you guys watch Discovery Turbo ? How is that channel ? Gonna take a new connection probably Airtel, for that. No point in keeping the current connection now.
I hope that BBC Entertainment comes back to India, not just for Top Gear. They had many other good programs.

Discovery Turbo has something or the other for petrol heads. They air Fifth Gear, a poor cousin of Top Gear ;-)
sa_kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 17:56   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
I hope that BBC Entertainment comes back to India, not just for Top Gear. They had many other good programs.

Discovery Turbo has something or the other for petrol heads. They air Fifth Gear, a poor cousin of Top Gear ;-)
Yea. I know about Fifth gear. I find it not entertaining like Topgear .I dont watch other TV series, so, i dont know much. But, i loved the Planet Earth and such nature related programs on BBC Entertainment.

The channel has a good number of fan following. So,lets just hope they will make it back, sometime in next year.
akhil_rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote