Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2012, 20:45   #361
BHPian

Re: Top Gear Season 18 coming in 2012!

It was only yesterday that I tweeted about how there's only one thing to look forward to in a day and that's Top Gear on BBC Entertainment. Just came to know that BBC is planning to pull the plug on BBC Entertainment. What a disgrace, really!

Have heard positive reviews about the Bond Special so far. It'll air on BBC Entertainment-Friday, 10:00 PM. Let's see if I am able to catch up with the Bond...:P

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd November 2012 at 01:58. Reason: We do not allow useage of profanity directly or indirectly so please avoid, thanks
Old 4th November 2012, 02:20   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover

Any of you guys watch Discovery Turbo ? How is that channel ?
I repent my decision of activating Turbo on our TataSky connection. Frankly, I find it to be completely non-exciting. Everytime I switch to it, its always showing either 'West Coast Customs' or 'Hot Rides' or some other serial which is airing the same episode for the 456728th time!

The only time I really watched it for half an hour straight everyday was last week, when it was showing F1 specials prior to the Indian GP.
Harshal.Bhosale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 12:00   #363
BHPian

Very bad news about BBC entertainment and CBEEBIES in India. Losing them and especially Top Gear, makes me seriously reconsider having a digital TV package. We should chop it down to the bare minimum and perhaps then operators like Airtel and Tatasky will find a way of bringing good channels back on TV.
Old 6th November 2012, 16:25   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshal.Bhosale View Post
I repent my decision of activating Turbo on our TataSky connection. Frankly, I find it to be completely non-exciting. Everytime I switch to it, its always showing either 'West Coast Customs' or 'Hot Rides' or some other serial which is airing the same episode for the 456728th time!
The only time I really watched it for half an hour straight everyday was last week, when it was showing F1 specials prior to the Indian GP.
How is fifth gear? I dont find it entertaining but there is a bit of trivia in it. Again, what about the other programmes ? Anything like NatGeo's Mega-factories ? Anyways, thanks for your reply. Will check out the channel soon.
Old 6th November 2012, 16:36   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
How is fifth gear? I dont find it entertaining but there is a bit of trivia in it. Again, what about the other programmes ? Anything like NatGeo's Mega-factories ? Anyways, thanks for your reply. Will check out the channel soon.
Fifth gear is pretty ok but nothing when compared to TG. I downloaded the latest season of fifth gear too. There's TG America too but they concentrate more on challenges and it's very similar to TG UK but it's watchable. You can check out Engineering Connections and Invisible Worlds hosted by Richard Hammond. That's pretty good.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 6th November 2012 at 16:37.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 16:36   #366
BHPian

Quote:

How is fifth gear? I dont find it entertaining but there is a bit of trivia in it.
Fifth Gear is good in their own way, but nowhere near TG in terms of its entertainment quotient. They do straight reviews and bland narrations (they DO try to be funny, but... ); whereas Jeremy defies all convention and does everything his own way.

Quote:

Again, what about the other programmes ? Anything like NatGeo's Mega-factories ?
There are some interesting programmes once in a while. Yeah sure, do check out the channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju

You can check out Engineering Connections and Invisible Worlds hosted by Richard Hammond.
+1. Engineering Connections is good too.

Last edited by Harshal.Bhosale : 6th November 2012 at 16:39.
Harshal.Bhosale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 17:00   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Fifth gear is pretty ok but nothing when compared to TG. I downloaded the latest season of fifth gear too. There's TG America too but they concentrate more on challenges and it's very similar to TG UK but it's watchable. You can check out Engineering Connections and Invisible Worlds hosted by Richard Hammond. That's pretty good.
Hammond's programme is telecasted on Discover Turbo as well ? Great. Fifth gear makes me bored sometimes. TG USA will be telecasted on 12th November on BBC Entertainment as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshal.Bhosale View Post
whereas Jeremy defies all convention and does everything his own way.
Yep. Jeremy is the soul of Topgear IMO. But, that said, Hamster and May are very much needed to make it a complete success. No others can match upto them.Will check out turbo myself and let you guys know.Thanks again.
Old 6th November 2012, 17:32   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hammond's programme is telecasted on Discover Turbo as well ? Great. Fifth gear makes me bored sometimes. TG USA will be telecasted on 12th November on BBC Entertainment as well.
Not sure on that. Are you talking about TG America Season 3? This was aired couple of months back. You can download the HD version from finalgear.com. I saw the entire season. Like I said, they are more into challenges rather than proper car reviews but worth the download.
Old 8th December 2012, 18:52   #369
BHPian

Re: The "Discovery Turbo" thread - A 24 hour automotive channel now on Indian TV

Well, BBC Entertainment has ended its broadcast in India , its really sad as we will not be able to watch any of the Top gear shows (UK or USA). Does anybody know what other channel will show Top gear episodes, as the new Christmas special will be aired before the end of the year? :(
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:43   #370

Re: The "Discovery Turbo" thread - A 24 hour automotive channel now on Indian TV

Wheeler Dealers has got to be one of the best shows currently airing on Turbo.

D.I.Y freaks, this is a must watch for you guys. You can find a few videos on Youtube. The good part is that I've actually learnt a few things watching this show .. highly recommended.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd January 2013 at 16:57. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted.
HydroXidE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 00:56   #371
Team-BHP Support

Why don't you subscribe to Chris Harris On Cars on YouTube? I think he's very informative and a brilliant driver. Discovery Turbo should seriously consider airing some of his work.
Old 4th January 2013, 09:11   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroXidE View Post
Wheeler Dealers has got to be one of the best shows currently airing on Turbo.

D.I.Y freaks, this is a must watch for you guys. You can find a few videos on Youtube. The good part is that I've actually learnt a few things watching this show .. highly recommended.
I agree - it's one of my current favourites to watch. Both the hosts have their unique way of presenting information on the show.

Also Ed makes it seem so easy! and does everything himself.
Old 4th January 2013, 09:43   #373
Team-BHP Support

Wheeler Dealers is fun, it looks easy as do the profits, however, no one takes account of the labour costs and overheads used (Ed is a professional mechanic). i.e not every garage has a decarboniser etc.

To sustain yourself in the UK, you would need to be turning out 3 cars a week assuming they turn a reasonable profit
Old 4th January 2013, 21:33   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Wheeler Dealers is fun, it looks easy as do the profits, however, no one takes account of the labour costs and overheads used (Ed is a professional mechanic). i.e not every garage has a decarboniser etc.

To sustain yourself in the UK, you would need to be turning out 3 cars a week assuming they turn a reasonable profit
Exactly, when I watched the show, I was like they cant survive on the margins they are making, a bulk of earnings must be coming from the shows too, which would allow them to sustain.
Old 5th January 2013, 01:29   #375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would rate 5th Gear higher than Top Gear in terms of information and reviews. They are much better. Tiff, Vicky and Jason have racing experience and are proper drivers. They know exactly what the car is doing at all times. And they've also got Johnny, a presenter who can give you the common-man's perspective. They are massively objective and to-the-point.

5th Gear is an out and out car-show. Not everyone is going to enjoy it, especially those who aren't into cars much.

On the other hand, TG is watched by many. My sister and my cousin, both who have zilch knowledge on cars, really enjoy TG. Because TG is 70% entertainment and 30% cars.

The thing about TG is, the BBC knew where their strong-suit lies. Clarkson, Hammond and May aren't particularly good drivers. They have very little or next to no racing experience as such and are strictly average drivers in the scheme of things. They look like heroes because they have an enormous airfield at their disposal.

BUT they are incredibly funny. They know how to entertain the masses. And that's the route TG has taken. TG was very different back in the day, when Tiff was a part of the team.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed